ending

Father's Day!

 

"Hi! Aya here! Hi, Daddy! Happy Father's day!" I greeted with a bright smile.

 

So, I decided to make a video of myself for my Dad when Father's day comes.

To some other people, they go shopping for something nice to give it to their Fathers. What is Father’s day even mean to me? For me..Although It's just an ordinary date with a title Father's Day. Everything to me is out of the ordinary and the only thing normal is a calendar with an invincible meaning behind the numeric symbols printed on a piece of card board and an 'X' marked written on them to tell that-that day already passed. But Father's day always catches my eyes. Why? then I'll explain it.. I just hope that I can somehow grow a miracle inside me.

 


 

'June 05, 2013'  I scribbled on my diary.

 

 

I sat on my bed doing something that can get my boringness a little bit less boring.

 I zoomed in and out, picturing everything that's presentable in my eyes with my old video cam. I squinted my eyes to peek at the tiny hole that was indicated for the eyes to view for some reason. I stood up and looked around with the video cam acting as my eyes.

My eyes caught something. "Ah.....That scarf again.." I sighed as I saw my old scarf that my dad gave me years ago. He used to wrap it around my neck every time I get cold or even at the time I don't necessarily need it. I usually get irritated to him for shouting at me to never forget to wear it like a protective father he is.

 


 

'June 07, 2013'  I crossed; leaving the date in the calendar with black ink.

 

 

"Aya... there are 9 days left before Father's day. Aren’t you going to buy something nice for your Dad? A present like chocolates perhaps?" My bestfriend Khina asked me without even sparing time to look at me, instead, her eyes are concentrated at the video cam she was currently holding. She was standing right across me while I was sitting on my bed.

She was helping me record the tape for my video but all she did was to bother me and ask many questions. Still, I love her; after all she is my only friend. We practically know each other since we’re in diapers and by now, I’m already used to her playfulness and highperness when it comes to bothering people, especially me.

I flashed a faint smile. "I think I already have the perfect present for him” Her face showed how confused she is. I stood up and ran in her embrace. I held my head against her chest and encircled my arms around her waist.

“He said, with that one thing… He is already better…” I lift my head and looked at her with a smile.

“I thought you hate him.” She carefully put the camera on the desk near us; our body can still be captured by the wide crystal like lence.

“I do…” After that we both went to a pit of silence.

I Hate my father!I hate him! The way his words stab my heart, stabbing me everytime I make mistakes… I hate how he embarrasses me in front of my friends… He is always over-protective. I hate him so much.

 


 

 

‘June 13, 2013’ I was lying on the bed with my arms in the air; holding my camera in front of me. I looked at the camera and made faces.

 

 

“I wish you could see this…” I laughed at myself then went silent.

Today, mom and I are going to the hospital. While she was busy talking to the doctor I was in a trance playing with my cam. I heard the door open, signaling that their conversation is over

I almost dropped the metal thing after I heard my mom cry. I rushed into her arms. “There’s no more hope.” She sobbed.

The doctor came with a stern face, “If the operation can’t be done, I don’t have anything more to say. I’m sorry…” He bowed and left us.

A tear escaped my eyes. “I guess he won’t be able to see my gift for him anymore…” I quietly cried with my mom.

 

I’m running out of tears, I’m running out of hope, I’m running out of time… I need to be fast.

 


 

 

 

‘June 15, 2013’ I wrote on the last page of my diary. Actually, I don’t even know what to say.

 

 

I walked on the hallway; I decided to record our entire house. I halted and froze in front of a vase. “Ah… This vase again…” I giggled as I remember the piece of porcelain glass.

I was at the age of five and naughty back then like any other spoiled kids. Khina went to our house and introduced me to her new cat. It was cute and fluffy like Garfield. We had fun playing with its tail, then suddenly, her cat accidentally bumped the vase.

The once beautiful piece of art shuttered against the cold floor. My dad went to our aid and practically blamed me for everything. I was so mad at him I didn’t spoke a word to him for the whole day.

After a long day, it was time for my sleep. I was comfortably lying in my comforter and was about to sleep when I heard a creaking sound. A light escaped from the hallway and a shadow blocked the blinding lights.

Dad decided to talk to me. I sit up and hugged my knees. He sat beside me. “If I only saw the scene I shouldn’t have scolded you.. I’m sorry… Daddy is sorry” He pat my head and caressed my cheeks.

Feelings pooled inside my chest as hot tears rolled down my cheeks. “I’m sorry daddy… I’ll buy you a nice present instead!” I sobbed.

He hugged me in his warmth “Don’t cry silly!” He chuckled. “Smile for me… that’s the greatest gift I could ever receive from my precious daughter. Come on Aya… Smile for me… Smile for me Aya.” He held my face. I smiled with trembling lips.

“That’s my angel…” He gently thumbed my cheeks and smiled with me.

He removed his hands and fished something behind him. I don’t know where in the world did that thing came from but a notebook suddenly appeared in front of me.

“This is a gift… take it…” He waited for me to grab the notebook. I still have empty pages on my other notebooks why do I need a new one? Anyway, I accepted it.

“People usually call it a diary, I hope you fill every page with stories about your adventures and maybe one day you can read me one of your favorites at the time you’re done filling it up.” He smiled. I hugged the special thing tightly as if it will disappear later on...

.

.

.

.

.

‘Video… error’

.

.

.

.

.

The video froze showing Aya reading her Diary

.

.

.

.

.

‘Video… Play’

..

.

.

.

.

Another video flashed. Aya was sitting on a wooden chair and showing her bright eye smile.

 

“Dad… I hope you like this… I hope my smiles have given you enough strength, enough for you to smile back and endure all the pain. But Guess what Daddy! I’m finally done! I’m already done filling up my diary with my adventures and this video contains my favorite part. I-I know you couldn’t see… But Dad…”

.

.

.

.

.

The Video Froze.

 

-------------

 

In front of a white stone, A lady was sitting beside a man smiling at each other. “Honey, She wanted to give this to you…” She handed a familiar notebook. “Can you see me now?” She waved her hand in front of the man’s face.

The man chuckled, “Yeah… I can actually see you now…”

The lady stood up and dusted her skirt. “Ok then… I have to go… I’ll be right back in a minute… Are you sure you’re ok?” She tilted her head, waiting for the man’s answer.

“Yes… I’ll be fine, just go and comeback safely.” He nodded and smiled to reassure his wife.

“Ok then…I’ll be right back…” Then she left.

The man stared at the notebook. He didn’t know whether he is going to read it now or later but then, his hand stumbled and he accidentally dropped it. The wind blew causing the pages to turn. As the strong breeze subsides, it stopped flipping to a certain page. He lift the notebook carefully and a warm tear tainted his cheeks.

 

‘I Hate my Father! I hate him! I hate him the way his words stab my heart, stabbing me everytime I make mistakes but then apologizes to me first before I could, blaming himself even though I’m the one at fault. I hate how he embarrasses me in front of my friends, telling them how beautiful I am even though He can’t see me. I hate him… I hate him so much…”

 

He read every single word on that page.  This was her precious diary he gave years ago. While he reads every ounce of black ink scribbled on that certain page…

.

.

.

.

.

Video play.

.

.

.

.

.

The vid unfroze but showed a different video.

 

A five year old Aya was playing a doll while someone was capturing her every move.

“Aya! Look at me! Look at the Camera!”

Aya looked at the gadget her father is holding. “I hate you Daddy!” She glared at him. She faced her doll and proceeds on playing it.

“Baby, why do you hate Daddy so much? Do you not love Daddy?”

Aya faced the camera again with a poker face on. “I don’t love you…” Then she smiled “Co’z I love you so so much!” She laughed.

“I love you daddy! Always remember that!”

.

.

.

.

.

The video stopped.

 

 As much as the man wanted to hear more of the bubbly voice the video froze again. He decided to look at the pages of her daughter’s diary. He flipped it into its last page.

 

 

“June 15, 2013,

     Happy Father’s Day! I love you Daddy! Always remember that!”

 

 

He bursts into tears as he read the last note on the end of the slightly folded paper. The man felt a pat on his shoulders. He glanced at the person with blurry eyes. His wife arrived and took the sit next to him.

“She wanted for you to see, for you to see her smile… even for the last time…” She closed her eyes, eager to curve her lips but she failed as it trembles in sadness. “She was so stubborn, always saying that she is okay… that she’ll be fine…” She shook her head.

“She was always busy writing, walking around the house and talking to that piece of metal. The Doctor told me that she must not get too stressed.” A tear slipped from her eyes and fell on the grass.

“They said she needs to do surgery for a heart transplant but she refused. It was dawn when I saw her lying on the floor lifeless while her cold arms clutched her diary… H-Her last request was to give her eyes to you…” She began to cry together with her husband.

 “The doctor said she had a extreme heart attack… You know, before she closed her eyes, She said S-She loves us…” She smiled, “then She --  

…She died…T-That’s why we’re here”

He dropped the camera and crawled at the white head stone.

“I’m sorry… Daddy is sorry…” He covered his face with his hands. His heart ache, his little princess… is gone…

 

Then, the Video unfroze and played the scene that was cut awhile ago.

 

He stopped sobbing and listened to the voice.

 

“ I-I know you couldn’t see… But Dad…I’ll smile for you every single day! Although you might not see me anymore, I’m still here..”She points her heart,” I’m still here to make you smile… I love you Daddy! Always remember that! This is my gift for you!”

.

.

.

.

.

The video ended with Aya’s bright smile.. then…

 

                                                            Another video flashed… A familiar Video

.

.

.

"Hi! Aya here! Hi, Daddy! Happy Father's day!"

 

 


 

This is my first one shot... I hope you liked it. I know it's not about romance... but it kinda has love in it...

 

comment, upvote, subscribe!!

Don't hesitate to ask if you're confused. English is not my mother language...sorry... tell me if I have something wrong with my grammar and blah blah...

 

bye!

*Hides in the closet*

 

 

To all daddies in the world. Happy Father's Day!!!!!!!!!!!