After.

I Won't Give Up

It had been two years since I last saw him. I never did find out where he was from, but I often found myself peering around the aisle in grocery stores, glancing into the cars around me at stoplights, looking over all of those heads at sidewalks just to catch a glimpse of a lumbering giant with curly hair.

“Cassie, you really have to snap yourself out of it!” Katie sat across from me as I glanced around the Starbucks store we were currently in. Even though we had graduated high school and had gone to different colleges, Katie and I made sure to meet up whenever we could. This week, we decided for a regular coffee date, just to talk about what our plans are for winter break.

I sighed and took a sip of my chai tea latte. Sometimes I’d look around just out of habit. The two years of doing so probably helped.

“I know, I know. It’s just that, I gave him my number and he never texted me! How long does he plan on making a girl wait?”

Yes, I know. Single for two years? As unbelievable as that sounds (input sarcasm here), I just wasn’t interested in anyone. Whenever someone asked me if I liked someone, all I’d think of was a big poofy head of hair and the biggest grin I had ever seen and will probably ever see.

Katie placed her hand over mine and I could see that she was sorry. Katie had been there for me this entire time and she’d comforted me during the first few months after we had left camp when I hadn’t received any messages from Chanyeol. She’d been there for me when I’d rant over Skype about how stupid I must’ve been for waiting (and still waiting) for that goofball that’ll probably never contact me. Ever.

“As much as I hate saying this, and as much as I know you hate hearing this, you have got to move on! I will find you a boyfriend if it’s the last thing I do! This Chanyeol thing has gone on long enough. If I ever see that kid again, I will punch his face in so that he can never smile again…” That last part was muttered under her breath, but I still heard it. I smiled. Katie always had a way of making even the gloomiest days brighter, whether it’s intentional or not.

“Katie, it’s okay. I’m sure I’ll get over it eventually.”

“It’s been two freaking years! You’re not over it! Girl, we need to get you a man!”

“But I’m perfectly happy as I am right now. I want to finish college and then go to medical school before I start thinking about relationships. Don’t tell me it’s old-fashioned because I know it is, but that’s just how I want to live.”

“Oi vey, this is going to take a while…”

I laughed and finished up my latte. It was almost four in the afternoon and I had planned on meeting up with some old friends for dinner later.

“I’ll text you later okay? I have to go get ready.” I got up to push in my chair.

“Fine, fine, ditch me for your other pals. You’d better not pull a Chanyeol. KIDDING! Kidding!”

I frowned at her before pulling her in for a hug. “I’ll see you later!”

As I made my way out, someone else was making his or her way in. Our shoulders brushed, but I was in a hurry so I muttered an apology before running to my car. I didn’t notice the poofy hair that stuck out underneath the black snapback.

 

“I’ll see you guys soon!”

“Bye Cassie! Don’t wait for him for too long!” I blushed. My old friends always teased me about how I was “the girl who waited” and that at least it was two years instead of twelve. I laughed it off whenever it was brought up but I’d always wonder, what if I end up waiting for twelve years? Then I’d shake my head and go home to watch some Doctor Who to ward off my sorrows.

Today was going to be another one of those days.

When I finally got home, I quickly changed into a comfy pair of sweatpants and my favorite tardis sweatshirt before putting some water in the kettle and letting it boil. If I was going to be single, I was going to live it to the fullest.

Pulling out a big tub of ice cream, I settled myself into my couch and the TV. Tonight was the Christmas special and I already had a box of tissues, readying myself for the tears to come.

However, the minute I sat down, my phone beeped.

“Are you serious. Who in their right mind would text me when they know that tonight I’m just going to be a blubbering mess?”

Groaning, I pushed myself up and reached for my phone on the coffee table.

Five Text Messages from Katie

“Oh dear…” When Katie texts me multiple times in a row, you know something’s happened.

“I hope she didn’t just meet a cute boy or something and decided to tell me about him.”

CASSIEEEEEE!!!!! OMG OMG OMG YOU HAVE TO COME TO STARBUCKS RIGHT NOW. WELL, YOU NEVER SHOULD’VE LEFT IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT YOU HAVE TO COME RIGHT NOW. THERE’S THIS GUY I THINK YOU’D LIKE TO MEET!!!!!!

How did I know? I just knew.

Katie, I’m not interested in any of this relationship stuff. Please just let it go.

… Fine.

Satisfied with her answer, I settled myself into the couch again and turned the TV on.

After about thirty minutes into the episode and half a tissue box later, I heard a knock on my door.

“Are. You. Freaking. Kidding.”

The knocking continued.

“Obviously not.”

Annoyed, I went over to the door and yanked it open before looking through the peep hole.

“WHAT THE HECK DO YOU WANT. I’M IN THE MIDDLE OF A VERY EMOTIONAL SHOW.”

“… Cass?”

My jaw literally dropped to the floor. It was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. Besides the TV noises in the back of course.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. Chanyeol was looking at me. Chanyeol was looking at me. Chanyeol was freaking in my doorway. He was in my doorway.

I did the only thing I could.

I slapped him.

“Ow! Katie already took care of that! You don’t have to hit me again!” Eyeing him, I noticed a slight bruise forming by his jaw. I had to smile at that. It was so Katie. She actually kept her promise.

“She punched you didn’t she.”

“Yup. Told me that she told you she said she would.”

We just stood there for what felt like eternity (it was actually 30 seconds. I counted), before I awkwardly shuffled to the side and let him come in. I realized that my apartment was a mess but I reasoned with myself that he wouldn’t stay long and that I’d kick him out the second he explained why he was being such an a** and never texted me.

He turned around and looked and me, and all thoughts of kicking him out just flew out of my brain.

The way his hair was windblown but perfect, those big gorgeous eyes, that adorable grin, the way that he was this huge goofball but I couldn’t see him as anything other than perfect.

“Cass — “

“Why didn’t you ever contact me? I gave you my freaking number and never received even one text. Do you know how long I waited? I literally stared a hole in my phone that first night back from camp. I told myself you’d text me, that you’d never be a jerk like all of my exes, but no, you never did text me. I waited Chanyeol. I waited for two, freaking, years. Heck, my friends started calling me ‘The Girl Who Waited’. But you were no Doctor, and they just told me to be happy that it hasn’t been twelve years yet, but that’d be crazy if I waited for twelve years. But I feel like that would actually happen, but that’s besides the point. Why didn’t you text me? Call me? Why didn’t you do anything?”

I hadn’t realized it during my rant, but tears had begun to stream down my face. Now, I’m not much of a crier. Just kidding, I cried during Toy Story 3, but it was a sad story! When I realized the feeling of liquids streaming down my face, I quickly looked down, not wanting Chanyeol to see. But Chanyeol, that boy, wouldn’t look away. Instead, he stepped forward and wrapped his long arms around me.

Now if that didn’t prompt more tears, I don’t know what would.

Chanyeol’s hand moved up and down my back, trying to calm me down. He kept muttering comforting words into my hair, even daring to kiss the top of my head.

“Shhh… it’s okay. I’m here now.”

Well that sure put me out of my misery. I pulled back and stared at him.

“Why didn’t you contact me?”

Chanyeol started scratching his head like he was guilty of something. As he should be.

“I uh… lost your number… I took a shower and totally forgot it was still on my hand... and I didn’t know how to find you… so I just hoped that by some luck, I’d run into you. And I did. Technically. Well, you brushed against my arm on your way out of Starbucks today and when I went in, I saw Katie. Long story short, she punched me in the face, sat me down in the seat you occupied previously, and made me tell my story. Then, after a few hours, she texted you, you didn’t want to meet, so she gave me your address, and ta-da, I’m here.”

I didn’t really know how to respond, so I just nodded.

“But I’ve missed you. I thought about you more times than I could count over the past two years, and now that I’ve finally found you, I’m never letting you out of my sight again.”

I felt butterflies in my stomach as his arms wrapped around me again, engulfing me until all I could see, hear, feel, breathe, was him.

I wrapped my own arms around him and we just stood there. It was quite possibly the best feeling in the world.

 

 

 

 

“I’M MISSING THE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL OF DOCTOR WHO ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME. PARK CHANYEOL I’M GOING TO KILL YOU!”

“… Oh boy.”


That's it for "I Won't Give Up"! I hope you guys enjoyed reading this story, and like I said in the forward, this actually happened to me. To some extent. I changed it up a bit because I met the guy in 7th grade and met him again in 12th. But yeah, you get the gist of it. Thanks again!