The breakup.

The breakup.

Chen and D.O stood facing each other under an umbrella. They stood in the middle of an empty street. It was a pitch black, cold, rainy night. The rain pounded around them as they stood completely still. The atmosphere was tense. Their breathes could be seen as they breathed in and out. D.O stood still he looked nervous and anxious; Chen on the other hand looked confused.

“What do you mean?” asked Chen. His dark blue eyes twinkled with moisture. His light jacket swayed in the wind. His skinny jeans had a ripped effect and his tight t-shirt showed his slim body.

“I said I’m breaking up with you.” Replied D.O.  D.O was holding the umbrella that the two of them stood underneath. His brown eyes looked at the ground. He was unable to look at Chen directly. His jacket was light and the arms were tight. He wore a simple white t-shirt underneath.

“W…W… Why?” asked Chen as tears began to fall down his cheeks.

“I… I just…”

“You don’t even know why.” Interrupted Chen. His fists were now clutched. He began to tremble as he looked at D.O. “Look at me.”

D.O didn’t move. He continued to look at his feet.

“Please. Please don’t leave” cried Chen. He grabbed D.O’s hand. He held it in between both of his hands.

“I’m sorry” repeated D.O.

D.O. took his hand out of Chen’s. He then put the umbrella in between them instead. D.O couldn’t bring himself to look at Chen. Chen’s sobs could be heard cutting through the quiet night air.

“You’re sorry?” cried Chen.

Chen dropped to his knees. He tossed away the umbrella and kneeled there crying loudly. D.O picked up the fallen umbrella and held it above the wet Chen.

“Get away” yelled Chen as he pushed D.O away. D.O stumbled back. He dropped the umbrella as he regained his balance.

“Look at me and I’ll believe that you no longer love me” whispered Chen as he wiped away some of his tears. His hair was flattened by the rain. His eyes were now red and puffy.

D.O sighed. His hair was also soaked from the rain. His white t-shirt was clinging to his body and started to become see through. He lifted up his head and looked directly into Chen’s eyes. Chen broke out into a hysterical fit of tears as D.O stared at him.

“I’m sorry” said D.O. D.O picked the umbrella up and then placed it down beside Chen. Chen’s clothes were soaked and clung to his body. D.O’s clothes also started to stick to him. His white trousers started to become see through. D.O turned away from the crying Chen and walked away. His eyes were red. He desperately wanted to turn around and say that he was messing and ask Chen to stay with him forever, however he knew that he couldn’t do that. D.O walked down the street and turned the corner. He walked down another few streets, passing bars and restaurants which were filled with happy couples and emitted sounds of laughter. He eventually came across a quiet café. He looked in through the window. The café had numerous seats yet only a few were taken. At one a man in a suit sat with a coffee as he typed away on his laptop. Three foreigners sat at another one. The three were smiling and laughing as they chatted to one another. D.O pushed open the door and walked in.

“Annyeosaeyo” Welcomed a woman from behind the counter. D.O bowed in response. He closed the door behind him and walked over to the counter.

“What can I get you?” asked the woman.

“A large cappuccino” replied D.O.

D.O quietly walked over to a seat in the corner. He sat down with his back to the rest of the café. He paid no attention as he replied the scene of him breaking up with Chen. He didn’t notice the woman bringing him his coffee or the noisy group of girls that had just come in and were giggling as they pointed at him. Tears began to roll down D.O’s face as the pain stricken face of Chen flashed before him. D.O began to think of past memories. These memories led to his tears falling fast and heavily.

D.O remembered how he met Chen. He was walking through the park one spring day almost three years ago when he heard a soft, beautiful voice drift through the wind. The voice melted D.O’s heart. He unconsciously followed the voice. After a minute he discovered a young, handsome man singing a song while playing the guitar. The man sat underneath a cherry blossom tree as he did so. The area was deserted. D.O stood there in silence admiring the man’s beauty and the man’s voice. He recognised the song as SS501’s Let me be the one. D.O admired how the young man made the song his and how he sang it with such convincing emotions.

D.O stood there as the man finished his song. The cherry blossoms began to softy fall around the man. The man finished singing and looked up. He noticed D.O who stood under the shadow of a tree. D.O clapped as the man put his guitar down. The man awkwardly smiled as D.O clapped.

“You heard?” asked the man.

“Hm” replied D.O. “You’re really talented. Are you a singer?”

“No” laughed the man. “I’m not that good.”

“Are you joking you’re amazing” replied D.O. “If you debuted I’d be your fan.”

“Thanks” said the man smiling. He picked up his guitar and bowed to D.O. “I have to go”

“Oh okay.” Replied D.O.

The man began to walk away.

“Wait” called D.O. The man turned around in surprise. “What’s your name?”

“Chen” replied the man smiling. “And you?”

“D.O” replied D.O.

“Well I hope we can meet again D.O.” said Chen.

D.O smiled at Chen’s words. He stood there watching as Chen walked away.

 

D.O continued to cry as he sat in the café. The girls still continued to look at him, unaware that he was crying. The man in the suit had stopped typing and was fixated with one of the girls who sat a few tables away from him. The foreigners in the corner, however, paid no attention to anyone else in the café. D.O couldn’t help but recall the moment when he realised that he would have to break up with Chen.

The two sat in Chen’s bedroom. They were both quiet as they anxiously waited. Chen sat at his desk with his laptop open. He repeatedly pressed refresh. His laptop screen displayed his email inbox. D.O sat on the edge of Chen’s bed. Chen’s room was big. It had a big double bed, a large wardrobe, his desk and a sofa. The sofa was positioned to face the TV. His walls were plastered with posters of various kpop groups, ranging from Beast to 2pm. He even had a few EXO posters. D.O loved to remind him about how much he resembled the member of EXO called Chen.

“It’s here” squealed Chen. D.O jumped off the bed and ran to Chen’s side.

“What does it say?” asked D.O.

“Give me a sec” replied Chen as he opened the email. He began to read the email.

“Well did you get the place?” asked D.O.

“No” replied Chen. Chen leaned back in his seat. He closed his laptop and sighed.

D.O stood in shock.

“What?” said D.O. “You were amazing how could they not accept you.”

“I don’t know” replied Chen.

D.O gave Chen a back hug.

“Are you sad?” asked D.O.

“Yeah I suppose” replied Chen. “But at least I get to stay here with you.”

Chen stood up and kissed D.O on the lips. He then straightened his back.

“I have to go to the toilet. I’ll be back in a sec” said Chen.

“Oh okay” said D.O giving him a weak smile. Chen smiled back as he slowly made his way out of the room. “That’s strange I’d thought he’d be sadder”

D.O looked at the laptop; he sat down in Chen’s chair and lifted the laptop screen up. The laptop was still logged in and the email popped up on the screen as D.O moved his finger around on the pad. D.O began to read the email. His mouth dropped open and he sat back. His face was filled with confusion as he stared at the laptop screen.

“He got in” said D.O to himself. “Why did he lie?”

D.O quickly shut the laptop and stood up as he heard footsteps approach the door. The bedroom door swung open and Chen walked in.

“Are you sure that you’re okay?” asked D.O.

“Yeah I’m okay” replied Chen. “As long as I have you I’ll be happy”

Chen then leaned in and kissed D.O. He briefly pressed his lips against D.O’s before pulling out.

“How about we get something to eat?” asked Chen.

“Sure” Replied D.O.

“Cool let me get my jacket” said Chen.

Chen left the room leaving D.O behind. “Is he staying here because of me” asked D.O. “How can I let him”

 

D.O began to heavily cry as he sat alone in the café. His cappuccino lay untouched. Just then Don’t Go by EXO began to play. D.O stood up abruptly. His chair fell backwards. The girl’s conversation suddenly ended as they all realised that he was crying. The woman behind the counter turned to face him. D.O turned towards the door. He ran to the door, swung it open and ran into the heavy rain. The rain was beating down heavier than before. D.O ran down the road and followed the route that he came by. He ran down the road that he had left Chen at. As he ran he splashed through puddles. By now both his trousers and t-shirt were see through. D.O came to a stop. He stopped in front of the umbrella he had left behind. However there was no Chen to be seen anywhere. The street was completely empty and the only thing remaining of their earlier encounter was the umbrella.

D.O collapsed onto his knees. Tears rolled down his cheeks faster than they had ever before. D.O couldn’t breathe. He felt as though his heart had been ripped out. The world stopped as he kneeled in the rain alone.

“Don’t go” cried D.O.