Lean On Me

How Can I Say This?

Word Count: ~ 1.1 k

 

When they arrived, the trainer directed Baekhyun to put Yixing on the examination table.

“So what is the problem Mr…?”

“Zhang. Zhang Yixing,” he provided.

She flipped through case files looking for the name. After about a minute of flipping through the files, she found his.

“I think that I might have sprained my ankle during a dance practice.” He sounded embarrassed for some reason.

“Can you please remove your shoe, sock, and roll up your pants so that I can look at the ankle?” she instructed more than asked. Yixing obliged, showing her a red and swollen ankle that didn’t look even close to being healthy. The bone was jutting at a slight angle.

“This is dislocated. I’m going to need to put it back. You might want to hold your friend’s hand. It will hurt significantly.” Yixing just took Baekhyun’s hand lightly and Baekhyun could feel the comforting warmth. Secretly, Baekhyun was thankful of the nurse’s suggestion and thankful that he had accompanied Yixing in the first place. He gave Yixing’s hand a light squeeze.

The nurse held his foot with one hand and applied force to one side of the ankle in order to move the bone back into its rightful place. The bone snapped back into place with a sickening crack and Yixing’s face turned deathly pale. Yixing winced but didn’t say a word of complaint. Baekhyun turned equally pale and looked as if he was going to be sick, but the two of them held hands reassuringly. The cracking sound that came from Yixing’s ankle made his stomach turn and his head feel light. He took three slow breaths in order to avoid passing out and to clear the sickening sound from his mind. With the bone back in place, Yixing’s ankle felt better already.

“You are going to have to say off of your feet as much as you can for the next week. After that, you can walk around, but don’t start dancing for another week. If you don’t follow my advice, healing will be slower and there is a possibility of causing further damage. You will also need to wear a brace for the next month or so.” The nurse instructed. “Even after you stop wearing the race, I suggest you tape your ankle to avoid straining it too much.

“Okay…” was all that Yixing said in reply. He was going to be miserable until his ankle healed because he loved dancing. He loved being able to find the beat, to match his movements to the melody. Baekhyun suspected that someone would need to make sure that Yixing stayed away from dancing too soon or overexerting himself. He decided that he would try and play nurse for Yixing. Maybe, just maybe, something would come of it.

The nurse signed, knowing that he would probably return to dancing prematurely and do even more damage. “Would you keep him from dancing too soon or overexerting himself?” She turned her question to Baekhyun.

“Sure, I’d be happy to,” he replied, trying to keep the excitement out of his voice. Even if keeping Yixing off of his feet as much as possible was a job anyone could do and that he shouldn’t feel special because of it, this gave him the excuse to take care of Yixing and spend more time with him.

“I’m just going to wrap your ankle for now” she stated. She took his foot again and began wrapping the bandages fairly tightly around the ankle and he winced in response.

 

--

 

Baekhyun offered to carry him again but he said that he wanted to at least walk a little bit and that his ankle felt much better. Baekhyun rolled his eyes at Yixing’s stubbornness but it wasn’t like he could really do anything about it either.

When Yixing and Baekhyun returned to the dorm, Jongdae was lying on the sofa with his legs draped over the back and his head hanging upside down. They didn’t notice him until he called out to them from his place on the sofa.

“What are you guys doing back here already?” he asked. “Don’t you have dance practice or something?”

“I sprained my ankle…” Yixing replied embarrassedly.

“Our dancing machine injured himself? We’re officially up ’s creek,” he said sarcastically, knowing full well that they wouldn’t be doing anything particularly pressing for another month or two.

“Watch it Jongdae. Hanging upside down like that might cause you to lose the few brain cells you do possess,” Baekhyun retorted sourly.

“What has your figurative knickers in a twist Baekie?” Jongdae’s devious smile was even worse upside down.

“That is none of your business.”

“You sure about that? All I said was that now that Yixing hurt himself…” Although he was upside down and he was thinking with an impaired brain, he managed to put two and two together. “You like Yixing, don’t you Baekie? But it’s not just as friends. You like like him,” he said as if Yixing weren’t in the room and weren’t turning red.

“That’s a lie. You’ve been hanging upside down for too long,” he replied, face still turning red.

“No I am very right. Your face proves my point.” He laughed maniacally when Baekhyun’s face turned even redder. ”Your concern for my health, however, is touching,” he added as an afterthought.

“You know, I think you might be the biggest I’ve ever met,” Baekhyun said with an almost thoughtful air.

“I try my best, babe,” he replied. He tried to roll over and sit up gracefully but halfway through, all of the blood rushed from his head and he just ended up crashing to the floor with a sizable thunk.

“You are probably the smoothest person I know right now,” Baekhyun commented as Jongdae struggled to an upright position.

“Shut up. I bet you couldn’t do that any better.”

“I’m not stupid enough to try,” Baekhyun retorted.

Yixing sighed in exasperation. “Sometimes you two bicker like a married couple, he mused.

“No we don’t,” they replied in unison.

“Stop that,” Baekhyun huffed.

“You first,” Jongdae returned.

“Why don’t we leave before someone gets hurt,” Yixing suggested, lightly tugging at Baekhyun’s sleeve. Baekhyun followed begrudgingly.

 

A/N: I hope you enjoy and keep reading! Also, sorry about the corny title. XD I hope you like fluffy BaekLay. Jongdae is being Jongdae. What more is there to say? Sorry for rhyming...