Chapter Seven

Moment Captured

 

Chapter SEVEN.

…those extra-curricular activities
 



Swinging the editorial suite open, I was greeted by papers flying in my direction and a male pulling me inside, slamming the door shut behind me. Min Yoongi dragged me and plopped himself down at my workstation. He took my SD card and plugged it into my computer and proceeded to scroll through the photographs I had taken over the past few weeks.

 

This was the magazine committee - or Loen Hit1 (Hit for short) as our editor Yong Miso (3-B) had dubbed it. We were in charge of all things Loen. What that meant was that we were pretty much the database and those in charge of how and when “Loen News” was spread. I guess we were the school newspaper except we didn’t exactly print newspapers…yeah. I guess we were “Gossip Central” to put it into simpler terms. We used the third year’s computer labs as our edit suites and was just located the floor above the Infinity room.

 

Miso and Kass were at each other’s throats. Again. Although Kass was Miso’s junior, she would not fail to voice her opinion. But I guess that was what happens when you give a second year the role of Associate Editor.

 

The two were arguing about how Hit was going to advertise themselves for new recruits. Miso argued that we had a full team already but Kass argued that they were gonna need new members since majority of the Hit team were seniors. Kass did have a valid point.

 

Hit was formulated by a team of seven. Majority of which were seniors. Yong Miso was handed leadership of the team after our leader Jo Kwon graduated last year. She did a great job being editor and all but sometimes she took this job a little too seriously. And it scared me sometimes. Mostly because she was known to be soft-spoken but when it came to Hit…well let’s just say you did not want to mess with Yong Miso. She wasn’t called “Dragon Smile2” for nothing.

 

Jung Hoseok and Min Yoongi3 were third years. Jung Hoseok (3-A) was…a bit of a whack but I guess he kept this place lively. Especially during our busiest times when we had to get that yearbook and graduation photos sorted. Min Yoongi, also from 3-B, was in charge of the gossip department. Which was probably why he and Miso got along so well.

 

Kim Namjoon (2-A, the only other second year) was in charge of managing and covering events. And because we were still a club, we needed to show something for clubs day.

 

“Two weeks and all you have are candid shots…” Yoongi paused on a photo of Dongwoo, “and flowers,” he criticised.

 

I was the resident photographer…in fact the only photographer. At first I didn’t understand why anybody wouldn’t want this title but I soon realised why. Since “Loen News” was the main thing that kept Hit running throughout the year (there were only so many events Hit could take part in) most of the time I would need to take photos that were “Loen” worthy and laced with scandal. Honestly I hated it and I had tried to find a replacement but there were no takers so I was pretty much stuck.

 

I had managed to get Yoongi and Miso to let up on the whole “gossip” sections since nothing much really happened at this school and they did. So long as I provided them with something juicy once a fortnight, I could take photos of anything I wanted.

 

“Well school’s just started. Everyone’s still--”

 

“What about that new kid in your class?” he cut me off, still going through my photos.

 

“Lee Howon?”

 

“Yeah!” Yoongi replied way too excitedly. “I heard he’s quite famous back in Busan. And has some connection with Woodong…”

 

He carried on and I really didn’t want to listen. I wasn’t even surprised that he knew Howon and Jang Wooyoung were connected somehow. Yoongi was the other member that took “Loen News” way too seriously.

 

As he yammered on critiquing every single shot my phone vibrated and I prayed to those omnipotent beings that somebody was in trouble and needed my help.

 

I pulled out my phone and my heart skipped when I saw the ID. Said person didn’t need any help…but he was him and well that’s as much explanation I could give.

 

            Please tell me you’re coming to club. I need you to save me~!! >_<

 

As much as I wanted to go, I don’t think I could face said texter after Sungyeol’s messages. Woohyun probably caught on that it wasn’t me who was texting him but he had been known to be quite slow on the uptake. This I had learnt from Sungyeol last summer. I sent him an apology, saying I was stuck with Hit and couldn’t leave.

 

An evil chuckle was heard from Yoongi and I looked over in curiosity. My eyes immediately widened when I saw what he was staring at. It was that picture from the first day of school that Woohyun took of us having lunch.

 

“So, you two are having lunch now?” Yoongi’s tone implied more than I would’ve liked. “Well it’s about time he made a move,” he said more to himself.

 

I shot a look his way, not wanting to think about what he was trying to say.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“You know,” he chuckled, wiggling his eyebrows.

 

No. No I didn’t.

 

Before he could make any more suggestions, the door burst open and in came the last member of Hit. Hwang Fuu Mi was an international student from Macau and was in the same class as Miso. Kass, being the person she was, discovered Fuu had quite the visual talent and had recruited her to be Hit’s Creative Designer. She was in charge of making everything pretty that Hit released. And she was probably the only other sane person in Hit apart from me.

 

She bowed apologies for being late and Miso just shushed her and told her to sit down so the meeting could start. Namjoon all too eagerly dragged her next to him and Yoongi and I shared a knowing look. He thankfully dropped the “Woohyun” issue and started making suggestive movements between Namjoon and Fuu to Hoseok standing on the other side of the room.

 

“O Week is here and Clubs Day is coming up so we have a lot to cover this week…” Miso began.

 

O Week was a strange concept. Well not really, but the way Loen did it was. Orientation was not really a high school thing since it was for freshman at universities but like I said, Loen wasn’t exactly normal. Anyway, Loen’s O Week was really just a build-up to Clubs Day where all the clubs in Loen set up booths and showcase what was so great about said club.

 

This was mostly due to the fact that it was a requirement that all the students at Loen partake in at least one extra-curricular activity. So Clubs Day was a good opportunity to recruit new kids and take them under your wing. So to speak.

 

“And Kass is right. Since the majority of us are seniors, we are going to need to find some new faces…”

 

Which meant Miso wanted us to do something stupid. And loud. And something that would garner large attention if we were going to recruit four new members. Everybody at Loen was an avid follower of the Loen Hit team but strangely enough, no one really wanted to join said club. It was quite saddening really.

 

My name was called and I sat up reflexively. “Yes?”

 

“Just because you’re the photographer, doesn’t mean you don’t partake,” Miso snapped.

 

Yeah, I figured that.

 

“…So we’ll all be taking shifts on Friday…”

 

I looked down at my phone to see the message light blinking. Miso was still explaining our plans for the week and Yoongi was too preoccupied with agreeing with everything our editor was saying to bug me about this. I opened the message and supressed that stupid grin that would always grace my face.

 

            -.-;; I’m sure you can get out…sneak out ~

 

Oh I would leave if I could.

 

Miso’s phone rang and she excused herself, handing the next agenda to Namjoon. He suggested that we perform a song for Friday and the room just groaned.

 

You see, Namjoon was in a band – sort of. And with every opportunity he got, he almost always wanted Hit to perform some sort of musical act. Unfortunately for him, that suggestion was shot down every single time. I think Namjoon sometimes forgets that the only musically capable member of Hit was him. Yeah we were pretty useless when it came to music.

 

“You play guitar don’t you?” Namjoon cooed. I just shot an annoyed look.

 

Before he could say anymore, Miso ended her phone call and called for Hit’s meeting to a close. It must’ve been something important for her to cut our first meeting short. She told us to bring some ideas tomorrow and left before any of us could ask. Yoongi and Hoseok left right after (thankfully) and I bid my farewells to the rest of the team.

 

Finally getting out of the suite, I thought I was free. But I was wrong. Before I could even reach the staircase I was pulled back in the other direction by the hooks of my bag. It was amazing that they didn’t break yet from all the harassment they received.

 

Ignoring my protests and flailing limbs, Sungyeol grabbed me by the waist and hoisted me over his shoulder. He carried me down his shortcut (down the second floor fire escape) and I don’t know how he managed it but he took my backpack and camera into possession while he was doing…whatever it was. We reached the door of Infinity and I could feel glitter trickle down my jacket from that crooked glittery, wooden infinity symbol. Someone should probably fix that. I swear by the end of the school year, that thing is gonna fall.

 

He placed me down (not gently might I add) and I dusted my uniform off as he threw my backpack and camera bag on the floor.

 

“YAH LEE SUNGYEOL!!!” I pointed to my baby.

 

He just did the thing he always did. He pulled this weird face and walked towards the small stage where Sunggyu and Dongwoo were. A felt a figure hover behind me and I jumped back a little when they placed their arm over my shoulder.

 

“Remind me why you’re friends with him?” Woohyun teased and I could only sigh and pout.

 

So I guess he was still talking to me.

 

Woohyun poked my cheeks as he collected my items and steered my towards the sofa which was currently occupied by Myungsoo. Woohyun nudged him and Myungsoo took his feet down and shuffled over, his eyes still glued to the comic book he was reading. As I sat in the middle, Woohyun chose to squeeze in between us pushing me to the other side. I chose to ignore the silent chuckle on my roomie’s side.

 

“I know it was Yeol that sent those texts,” he suddenly said, reaching for the pillow behind me. I tilted my head in confusion. “You’re not exactly the type to say this,”

 

He reached for his phone and showed me a part of the conversation thread. One line in particular stood out.

 

Ah, that explained it then. I would never call Woohyun that. Or anyone that really. Only one person was reserved for that title. Sungyeol should know better.

 

“And he’s supposed to be my best friend,” I turned to respond, giving a small smile. “Smooth, Yeol.”

 

He just grinned that Namu smile of his and those butterflies emerged again at the pit of my stomach.

 

Sunggyu spotted us on the sofa and immediately walked up to us. His mouth still chattering away at something Dongwoo was saying. He stopped in front of Woohyun and pulled him up not before raising an eyebrow at me.

 

“Gyu-ah,” Woohyun whined as he remained seated. Sunggyu ignored his best friend’s complaints as he dragged him towards the stage.

 

I sighed and made myself more comfortable but found Myungsoo’s feet already up on the sofa. I was tempted to kick his feet off but since we were at school…well I couldn’t do much. Myungsoo must’ve read my mind and let out a chuckle.

 

I snapped a photo of him, making sure the flash was on full, just to annoy him. He kicked me in the side in response. Can Woohyun come back please?

 

“Petty!” Sunggyu shouted.

 

I scowled at the nickname and looked up. “Hm?”

 

“What’s Hit doing for Clubs?” Sunggyu asked. This was probably what he was arguing with Dongwoo and Sungyeol about.

 

I shrugged, “Dunno yet. Miso-unni cut the meeting short so we’re discussing it tomorrow. All I know is that Kim Namjoon keeps trying to convince us to perform as a band or something,”

 

Sunggyu nodded and Sungyeol laughed. “I can’t imagine you in a band,” he muttered.

 

“I could be if I wanted to you know,” I retorted.

 

“Should I dye your hair purple again then?”

 

Sunggyu smacked Sungyeol in the side before we could continue. He muttered something about not bringing me here if we were only going to argue.

 

I sighed.“Why did he bring me here if all he’s gonna do is argue?” I mumbled to myself, folding my arms and sinking down in the sofa.

 

“He’s coming home with us tonight,” Myungsoo simply replied.

 

I turned to look at him. “What?”

 

He put his comic down and sat up. “Yeol’s parents are out of town and Daeyeollie’s staying at a friend’s, so he’s gonna stay the night.”

 

“Why can’t you stay at his?”

 

“Mom’s cooking tonight and Moonsoo’s back from camp. We’re having BBQ. Yeol’s favourite,” he explained.

 

Auntie must’ve known Sungyeol was coming over to go all out then. I only hummed a response. I was gonna need to save my energy if Lee Sungyeol was staying over. I was gonna be in for a long night.

 

 

Myungsoo said he’d meet me at the school gates as I walked out of the Infinity room. I had a feeling he was sticking around to talk to Violin Girl as she had stopped by during the last few minutes before Sunggyu dismissed everyone. Myungsoo needed to pick up his game if he wanted to compete against Sunggyu for Violin Girl. Sungyeol had run off earlier to see if he could book a music practice room for tomorrow and said he wouldn’t be too long. I didn’t even have a chance to say anything as the two went off to do their respective things.

 

Just as I turned down the hallway, Dongwoo bounced next to me, his phone in one hand and bag in the other. He had that permanent smile on his face and I couldn’t help but smile as well. Jang Dongwoo was a ball of sunshine he was. You couldn’t not smile when he was around. He called my name and I hummed.

 

“Are you free after school tomorrow?” he casually asked.

 

We exited the building and came to a stop outside the greenhouse.

 

“Don’t you have Infinite tomorrow?” I’m sure he did seeing as I was pretty much present for their entire meet.

 

“Eh we can skip tomorrow, just once,” he grinned and I had a feeling I knew why. “Besides you promised, remember?” he pressed on and I could only nod.

 

Dongwoo checked to see if the greenhouse was locked before we both made our way towards the school gates. He said goodbye as a car pulled up outside and his sister gave me a wave. I bowed and waved goodbye as he shouted out the window about not forgetting tomorrow. Once his car was out of sight, I hopped up onto the ledge next to the gates. I placed my camera bag down and shrugged my backpack off. Myungsoo would probably still be a while and Sungyeol would too. There weren’t many teachers around at this time so I don’t know if Sungyeol would be able to book a practice room. I don’t see why he needed to seeing as the Infinity was the old music room. Maybe they needed instruments. No, that wasn’t right.

 

A voice interrupted my thoughts and I looked up from the ground. Two figures were hanging by the bike shed. The male was wearing Loen’s uniform and from the back of him, he looked awfully like Lee Sungyeol. The girl next to him wasn’t someone I knew. From her grey blazer and black skirt, she was from the girls’ school, Pledis. I sighed. All Pledis girls were so damn modelesque. With their long legs, shiny hair and amazing bodies. She was a couple inches shorter than Sungyeol and her long, blonde hair reached the end her waist. Her high-heeled foot was tapping the ground as her hand played with Sungyeol’s tie. She titled her head coyly and I chuckled bitterly.

 

Pledis was flirting with our Lee Sungyeol.

 

I felt this weird tug at the pit of my stomach but shook it off for hunger.

 

My eyes couldn’t take themselves off the pair as I didn’t even realise Myungsoo calling my name and walking up to me. He joined me on the ledge and nudged me in the side. I just nodded my head in Sungyeol’s direction and Myungsoo scoffed.

 

“Again,” was all Myungsoo said as he jumped down and leaned against the railing.

 

I didn’t even want to know since my attention just wouldn’t leave the pair. Sungyeol finally moved as he pushed Pledis’ hand away and patted her on the head. I let out a breath I didn’t even know I was holding at the motion. He gave her a small nod before fixing his backpack and turning on his heel. I could see a slight annoyed twinge in his eye as he mumbled something and screwed his mouth to the side.

 

Myungsoo called out to Sungyeol and he looked up. His eyes met mine and that gummy smile returned to his face. I smiled back and this weird sensation began in my chest. He ran towards us and I hopped down. He took my backpack for me, swinging it on his other shoulder and slung my camera bag around my own shoulder.

 

The two chattered away about something I vaguely paid attention to as we walked home. For some reason, all that plagued my mind was what happened before. I don’t know why Sungyeol’s interaction with that Pledis girl was bothering me so much. Sungyeol had plenty of female friends. Then why couldn’t I get them off my mind?

 

“Ah I don’t know, but you know how Pledis chicks are,” I managed to catch Sungyeol say.

 

“She wants you,” Myungsoo chimed.

 

I don’t know why that response bothered me. It must’ve because I almost walked into a letterbox.

 

“Yah, where’s your head at?” he pulled me away and steered me in the right direction. “Still thinking about Nam Woohyun huh,” Sungyeol nudged.

 

“My thoughts aren’t always about him you know,” I replied, lacking the usual snap in our arguments.

 

“Oh,” Sungyeol’s tone changed. “Are you okay?”

 

I hummed. He took a step forward and stopped in front of me. He placed his hands on my shoulders and bent down to my level. He tried to look into my eyes but I looked anywhere but there. I turned to give Myungsoo a signal for us to keep walking but he seemed too preoccupied with his phone to even look my way.

 

I felt a hand under my chin and it steered my face right within range of Lee Sungyeol’s. I swallowed hard and held my breath. My heart was beating faster than normal and I could hear it echo in my ears. Sungyeol looked me in the eyes and held my gaze for what seemed like forever. The gap between us began to slowly close and I closed my eyes intuitively. Sungyeol’s breath came in closer and I bit the bottom of my lip and pulled back a little. As he came closer, I winced and braced myself for what I thought was coming. His other arm left my shoulder as the other rested under my chin. I felt his nose touch mind before—

 

*THWACK*

 

“YAH!!” I yelled and stepped back. I rubbed my foreword and all I could hear was Sungyeol cackling away and hitting Myungsoo on the arm. “LEE SUNGYEOL!” I screamed, still rubbing my foreword.

 

“Told you to screw your head back on,” he casually stated. I glared and he just continued laughing. Sungyeol’s forehead flicks were the worse and they usually left a red mark that lasted for at least two days.

 

I undid my camera bag and slung it around Myungsoo’s neck. Making sure my converses were on properly, I rolled my shoulders back and locked gazes with Sungyeol. He stopped, dropped both our backpacks and made a run for it. I sprinted off straight after him, chasing him all the way home, leaving a very unamused Kim Myungsoo behind.

 


 

1 Loen Hit parody of Big Hit
2 Yong Miso: literal translation is "Dragon Smile"
3 Bangtan Boys' actual names (Suga, J-Hope and Rapmon)