Chapter 6: Wrong Turn

Wolf: The Unkown

Luhan looked on as the members of the Wolf Pack visited with Kyungsoo. He sighed as Eunji sat in the middle of all the cheer. He had wanted to apologize, to beg for forgiveness, but the guys were ignoring him, even at school.

Tao and Kai wouldn’t even look at him. Xiumin just looked at him, shaking his head in disappointment. He could hear the other boys whisper behind his back.

And Eunji. She wouldn’t talk to him, let alone acknowledge his existence.

Would he just be the outsider looking in?

He looked back at the window, and shuffled behind the brick wall outside the hospital. He was sure Eunji had seen him.

Luhan didn’t want her to tell the others. What if they got mad? He’d stay behind the wall until he was sure that they left.

*****

His legs ached as the hands on his watch twitched, announcing the time, 9:30 pm. All visitors now had to leave. He peeked out as he saw the Wolf Pack exit the building, Eunji was lagging a little behind. Luhan hung his head, feeling out of breath.

He clutched his ribs as Eunji made her way over. “Luhan?” he turned away, too ashamed to say anything.

As he made his way home, the pain in his chest worsened. Eunji followed behind, making sure that he was okay. Luhan’s eyes rolled into the back of his head as he fainted on the stairs outside of his apartment.

Eunji rushed over, making sure he hadn’t hurt himself more. She looked up at the building. She had never been here before. She searched the pockets of his jacket and found a house key. It had the number of his apartment on it.

She put him on her back. He was rather light, for someone their age. She adjusted him, and began walking the long way up to his apartment.

*****

Eunji patted Luhan’s face with a warm, damp towel, cleaning his lip. She readjusted is blanket as well. As she turned, she saw a picture frame.

She picked it up. There was Luhan, and that must have been his older brother. She looked back at him. ‘We have much more in common than I thought.’ She set the picture down and headed out of the room.

*****

As Luhan awoke, he could see Eunji walking towards him with a tray of food.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, looking around. He was back inside his home.

“I carried you here. You fainted outside of the building. Are you okay?” she asked, setting the tray in front of him. He weakly nodded.

“I suppose so,” he said, looking down at the food. He looked over and smiled. “Thank you, for taking care of me.” He said. Eunji smiled.

“Well, what are friends for?” she asked. Luhan hung his head.

“You, you’re still my friend?” he asked. Eunji patted his shoulder.

“What you did was wrong, but Kyungsoo isn’t mad at you. He thinks you just got caught up in the moment. He doesn’t blame you at all, and neither do I. I was scared at first, but now I understand.” He smiled and sighed with relief.

“So, this is your brother,” she said, pointing to a picture. He nodded.

“Yeah, that’s Kris.” She smiled.

“He looks familiar,” she said. Luhan shrugged.

“Have you met him?” Eunji shook her head.

“Not that I can recall at the moment,” she turned to him.

“What was your mother like?” she asked. Luhan smiled.

“She was one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met.” Luhan smiled at Eunji, “one of the two people I had only ever met, but still;” she laughed. “She liked knitting, and listening to the radio. She would always get after Kris for picking on me, since he’s just a few years older than I. But then, one day,” he faltered, the memory hurt more than he had expected.

“One day she just, wouldn’t get up. She told Kris to protect me, and, to beware ‘the tree.’ Then, she just, disappeared.” Eunji’s face contorted into confusion. Perhaps Kris hadn’t told him what had happened.

She put her arm around him. “It’s okay. You know, I don’t have a mom either; it’s just me and my dad. It was hard at first, but it will get better, Luhan, I promise.”

He smiled at her. “Thanks, Eunji.”

*****

Kai stepped out of the bus and stood in front of the apartment building. He wanted to apologize to Luhan. He had been too rough with him. Kyungsoo had told the other guys to forgive him; he was just caught up in the moment. There were so many of the other guys, it was understandable that he didn’t see Kyungsoo.

As he went over to the entrance, he saw Luhan come out. He was rather surprised, as was

“Eunji?” they all looked back and forth at each other. Kai’s face contorted in anger.

“You, BASTARD!” he shoved Luhan up against the wall. “What are you doing with her?” Eunji shoved Kai off of Luhan.

“Knock it off, Kai, he was hurt, so I took him home. Stop overreacting all the time.” She said. Kai glared at Luhan, and then at Eunji.

“Fine. If you’re so happy with him, then you can have him!” he stomped off in a huff. Eunji shook her head.

“Oh! Kai, you’re such an idiot!” she shook her head as she waved to Luhan, and went on her own way home.

Luhan went back inside, and waited for Kris to come home.

*****

His phone went off as he sat at the clubhouse. He looked at it. It was a picture of that kid and a girl. ‘Should we nab her?’ the text read. A sly smile played across his lips.

He sent the text and sat back. He’d have to come, now. And she’d get what she wanted. One way, or another.

*****

Eunji walked through the tunnel. Her unease had grown since she had left Luhan’s. She wondered if Kai was alright. She stopped, and heard footsteps. Her heart pounded in her chest.

She made her way to run, but before she could get one foot off the ground, a cloth was put to , and she slid into darkness.

END OF CHAPTER 6