Stained

The Lake on the Moon


 

I can see the gleaming knife embedded in my chest but the expected pain or dripping of crimson doesn't come. Rather the feeling of biting cold piercing my chest is what occurs.

 

I gasp at the sudden frigid touch. My hands start claw at the knife to push away whatever is what little warmth I have. But my hands encounter no wooden handle, no steel blade.

 

Just air.

 

My eyes widen with fear and amazement. What type of object steals the warmth from your body? Definitely not air. And it definitely has to be something.

 

The glass-eyed girl is looking at me with an expression of mixed uncertainty and awe. She swoops down so close to my face that I can see the individual strands of ebony hair and the stitching in her gown.

 

Kneeling down, she her head and inspects me, like I'm some sort of experiment that went wrong. It looks so disconcerting and disturbing, like one of those scenes from a horror film. But I guess I am in my own kind of horror story, aren't I?

 

Her eyes meet mine and all I can see is a distorted reflection of my terrified face.

 

"L-leave me a-alone," I succeed in stuttering. The sound of my own voice calms me a little but I know I haven't convinced her. Rather, it spurs her to examine me even further.

 

"Why?" she demands to know, still observing me with those mirror-like eyes.

 

"I haven't done anything to you." I can speak in clear sentences now, once I realize she can't hurt me.

 

"Yes, yes you have." She stands up, bristling with barely controlled anger.

 

"No, I haven't," I say delicately, I don't want her to get enraged even more. She might be a ghost but ghosts can touch material objects if need be.

 

"Yes, you have. Your grandfather killed him. And me," she shoots back at me. Containing her outrage, she starts to glide to the fallen book. A few aged pages have fallen out, tumbling across the floor. As she gently picks up the book, I can see the melancholy in her body movements and expression.

 

She flips to one of the pages and points to it, showing its contents to me. The freshly written sentence contrasts sharply against the snow-white pages.

 

"Kim Myungsoo.  My one and only lover." she says somewhat forcefully as if still blaming me for his death.

 

"M-my grandfather?" I'm confused now. Grandfather is dead, and has been dead for quite a few years. Plus, why would sweet kind Grandfather kill a young girl and boy? And lovers at that too. He always delighted in young love, solemnly claiming that it was the only pure thing in life.

 

"Yes. Your grandfather stabbed me, right here," she lays herself down onto the dirty rug. I see her absentmindedly trace one of the dark lines on the rug. All at once, do I realize why the rug is so discolored, so seemingly out of place in this immaculate room. It's stained scarlet with dried blood, scarlet-stained.

 

I can't say anything. The fact that she was killed right in this room makes me choke with disgust.

 

My hand shoots to cover my mouth from screaming out loud. "Why?" I croak out after my body recovers itself.

 

"Because of Myungsoo," she says in a dreamy tone of voice. She sighs and then walks quietly over to the bed. Patting down the covers and fluffing the pillows, she sits down on the edge and turns to me. Her eyes regard me carefully, waiting for me to make a sudden movement. She stares at me like this for five or ten minutes.

 

"Good night," she eventually declares in a weary voice. She rests her head on one of the pillows and closes her eyes, placing her hands onto her chest. And then her body dissolves into millions of miniscule particles, like a cloud of shimmering mist.

 

I stare at where her body used to be, the blankets and pillows have been untouched. Fine white dust layers the silver pillows and blankets. So she wasn't real at all.

 

I push the fear out of my mind and run out of the haunted room as fast as I can.  My frantic footsteps echo throughout the house. As I reach the living room downstairs, I curl into a little ball on the safety of the sagging couch.

 

Thoughts keep racing through my mind, one after another. Did Grandfather really kill that girl? Why is Myungsoo stuck on the island? How was Myungsoo murdered?

 

Grandfather was hiding a secret wasn't he? Now that I think about it, Grandmother moved into this house ever since Grandfather died. Did Grandmother know about the girl too?

 

There were too many questions that came into my mind.

 

Grandmother's raspy voice snaps me out of my reverie.

 

"Did you see her?" she croaks out. She's standing over me, like a tall impenetrable wall, and looks at me through her glasses with concerned yet wary eyes.

 

"Y-yes, she seems so...twisted. I think she was a very nice girl when she was alive, but now...I don't know what happened..." are the words that stumble out of my mouth. I'm still shocked by the chilling experience, my hair is all askew and my eyes are baggy from lack of sleep.

 

"Yes, it's true. Cho Hee was such a sweet girl back then," Grandmother murmurs and begins my head. It feels calming and my eyes are beginning to droop.

 

"Wait. H-how do you know it was a girl? And how do you know her name?" I'm reeling from the barrage of revelations tonight. I start to back away from her, I don't feel safe anymore.

 

"Do you think you're the only who can hear her? I'm not deaf even if I am 83 years old!" Grandmother says indignantly. Her hands on her hips and her eyes are still glaring at me. But her eyes soften and she takes a seat next to me. The old couch groans and strains with the extra weight.

 

"Her name is Cho Hee. She was a lovely girl with a bright future ahead of her. She was smart, funny, kind; everybody liked her." Grandmother sighs, and looks at the hem of her shirt.

 

I start to inch closer, her voice is beginning to get softer and softer. I'm so close to understanding how Myungsoo, Grandfather, and Cho Hee are related.

 

"Cho Hee and I were born a few years apart; I was the older. We were best friends back then. But we were born into the time when the Japanese occupied Korea. Supplies were steadily going down the drain and at eighteen, Cho Hee's family went broke. So they decided to arrange a marriage between her and a man about ten years her senior. He was a man with plenty of money to save the family and he always had an eye on her. But her parents didn't know that Cho Hee had already been seeing a boy. Kim Myungsoo, twenty years old, handsome but middle-class. Cho Hee knew her parents wouldn't accept their relationship so one night, they vowed to run away."

 

Grandmother stops and is shaking her head now, as if the memories still plague her. I don't know what to do but awkwardly pat her on the back.

 

"Myungsoo and Cho Hee would always meet on the island under full moon. And her fiancé discovered Myungsoo waiting there one night, waiting for Cho Hee to run away with him. He flew into a rage and stabbed Myungsoo and then strung him up. H-he-" she begins to falter as the details become more and more gruesome.

 

"H-he went to Cho Hee's house and found her in the bedroom, about to meet with Myungsoo. He asked her about it, and she tried to escape, but he ended up killing Cho Hee as well." Grandmother holds her head in her hands as she relives the events in her mind.

 

"And Cho Hee's fiancé was Grandfather wasn't he?" I whisper softly so she can hear only his name.

 

She jerks back and stares at me with wild eyes. She no longer looks like the strong, steadfast woman she used to be but rather a scared and confused teenager once again.

 

"Yes, yes he was." she whispers so quietly I have to lean towards her to hear.

 

"Your grandfather wasn't a bad man. His anger had consumed him, taken away his judgment. He regretted about it afterwards, he tried to be good. He came to me, apologizing over and over for murdering my best friend. And he tried to make it up by bringing flowers to her grave, praying for Myungsoo's and Cho Hee's well being in the afterlife. And you know what happened?" Grandmother looks at me with imploring eyes, asking for forgiveness somehow.

 

"I fell in love. Ironic, how my friend never wanted to be with him and I ended up marrying with him." She turns her head to me and forced a rueful smile onto her tear-streaked face.

 

"Now you know why Myungsoo is stuck here. He needs Cho Hee. And Cho Hee needs Myungsoo. The two need to fulfill their promise, of running away that night" she says simply.

 

"Wait, you know about Myungsoo on the island?" I must sound like an incredulous idiot every second that I'm sitting here.

 

"I've always known. There were, and still are, rumors about a boy lingering there and I can hear Cho Hee's crying every night. That's why I moved here after your grandfather died. Cho Hee hasn't moved on, she's still stuck in the past and that's why Myungsoo is still there. I moved to amend your grandfather's crime so Cho Hee and Myungsoo can rest at last. It's what you grandfather wanted." She stands up and hobbles over to her rocking chair, and plops down. Pulling the blanket over herself again, she closes her eyes after revealing my grandfather's history.

 

"B-but why are you sitting down then?" I ask her with a bewildered voice. Shouldn't we go and meet Myungsoo now to release him? Make me meet his

 

"I'm going to sleep now. You won't see Myungsoo until the next full moon. So we'll just have to wait for now."

 

 

 


 

 

And dun dun dun! Everything making sense now? XD This was a short chapter but it took me a while to get my thoughts and the clues together. I already had an idea but really, my mind hates me for writing. >.<

The next chapter should be the last. It'll probably be extremely long to write but it'll wrap everything up. Anyways comment below, subscribe, fangirl or scream (just kidding :P) or whatnot. This is Snow signing out!