Alpha

Fearless

 

 

Constantly did the existence of the universe hang in a delicate balance between good and evil. Metal upon metal, metal upon flesh, blood for blood. It was the status quo of the whole world. Humanity will never cease to be divided in those two opposing forces. It has always been that way since the dawn of time. There had been occasions wherein one would get the upper hand, however, as the eternal war between chaos and order, and right and wrong progress, each of them seek nothing more than to finish what has been started. To rise triumphantly against their enemies once and for all.

Heroes of justice, truth, peace and love. The embodiment of all that is good within all the humans. They harness their powers in the hopes of protecting and serving out of their own altruistic beliefs and sincere concern for others.

And the Villains. The absolute foil to what the heroes stand for. Out of their own selfish desires, they construct to destroy, their irony only strengthened by how they act. Eliminating. Stealing. Claiming what is not theirs and empowering themselves as superior and indomitable.

The scales of the balance hang equally at present, waiting only to be tipped by the weight of either side.
Both have their hidden aces as their final resort to end the life-long war.

But there can only be one.

 

 


 

 

Sirens blaring irritatingly at every nook and cranny of the city of Neo-Seoul had most its residents awake at the most ungodly hour.  Although the sky was pelting the earth with heavy drops of rain and the surroundings were blanketed with a thick fog, there was no stopping the manhunt that the police have engaged in. Citizens of the city knew all too well that whenever such an event would occur and the target was a supervillain, the results would be catastrophic. Ultimately, a needless bloodshed.

Their fear is never doused. Blood always ran cold in their veins and the hairs on the back of their necks would always stand on end. Chills running down their spines came frequently. However often these things might come, they would never get used to it. Not when the harbingers of death cackled grimly as they pranced around in the streets bringing with them every inch of doom and destruction in every step.

However, despite all of the terror that has been laid upon like paint over the whole town with its color clearly present, there have been a group of people aiming to stand, to fight back with all their strength and power.

Gunshots were heard and the sirens were never silenced. Bullets ricocheted  to god knows where before a magnified slam shook the ground and all that reside on it.

“Put your hands up and surrender peacefully. We cannot afford anymore casualties at this point. Too many people have been injured!” The Chief of the Police force yelled indignantly through the megaphone, wanting the perpetrator of the current bouts of chaos to just end all of the menace and mess.

“I don’t care about any worthless people. I wanted my diamonds and my cash. But no… you just wouldn’t negotiate properly, now would ya? So much for being righteous men. You say you’re all goody two shoes but you’re just like me…”

There was a challenging smirk that came with those words and yet another fusillade of bullets were fired. They knew that somehow, what the criminal said was right. They had so carefully twisted their words, but they should have known better. A person with a twisted mind could very well understand the meaning of such twisted words. It was a matter of perspective. One which people siding with the dark knew very well.

The weather forecast that day should have included not just drops of water, but a rain of bullets. However, there was an abrupt stop to all this and all that could be heard was the clicking of triggers and of soundless and empty magazines.

“I presume you’re all done with all this fiasco, dear officers?” he says in a small teasing voice that never seemed to lose the irking effect it had upon his present enemies.

The villain stood  floated a few good inches above the ground. His eyes were like blood-red rubies and the hatred buried within them was thirsting to be let out. He was a man with such a brilliant physical appearance, and no doubt, his face was not that of an evil-doer.

They have yet to name him, or give him a moniker unlike all the profiled supervillains raging across the city in all their evil glory, but this one, he was slowly making a name for himself. The whole government wondered why or how or even where these sudden and spontaneous births of new villains take place. By this time, the people’s cause has already been divided and there was only but a ruling left to establish which cause of action would be more favored or fruitful.

Donning colors of red and black, the man had been floating there silently, waiting for the next course of action the police would take, alas, finally opened fire, boasting a barrage of bullets through the offender’s direction. There was a thick layer of dust and smoke that hung around the area and when it all cleared, a  sharp, crackling static field glowed around the villain and with a snap of a fingers, a miniature explosion occurs, blowing away everything within its path as the evil man’s disappearing act was seen through while the ghost of his eerie laughter echoed around.

 

 


 

 

“This new threat.. who is he… what is he?” a forceful, gruff voice resounded along with a harsh slam on the table and the meeting was quickly placed in  motion. It was the Commissioner, demanding to delve into their wretched situation by calling a meeting in hopes of finally extinguishing the ever active scourge surrounding them and their everyday lives.

A small figure meekly stands up, pushing the glasses precariously perched up on his little button nose. He his lips tentatively and nervously and opens up a file folder before pointing a small remote in the front, clicking it as images and texts appeared on the projected screen.

“I’m Do Kyungsoo, part of the Special Division. From the data we’ve gathered during the previous encounter with the new SV, this certain figure we now familiarize under the codename, ‘Little Deer’ is predictably aged from mid-teens to early twenties and possesses superhuman strength and various psychic abilities such as telekinesis and the ability to generate force-fields and spontaneous explosions via concentration of psychic energy.”

“Little… Deer?” one of the officers spoke up for the rest of them, inquiring the inexplicably adorable choice of name for a supervillain with a formidable set of powers and killing aura. There was a chorus of hums and sounds of questioning before the profiler, Kyungsoo, cleared his throat to provide an explanation.

“This person’s appearance is meek and gentle-looking. That is his best distinguishable trait. It would do us good to remember that one of the villains have a recruit that may be good enough to blend in with his surroundings without suspicion… even without the use of a disguise.” He takes his seat after a few seconds of much more detailed explanation regarding ‘Little Deer’ and the intensity of the threat he poses to everyone around him.

“So far, we’ve had several casualties for the past few months, starting with The Reaper, followed by a handful of unidentified super-terrorists, about four of them and immediately after that, all hell broke loose. It’s like crime is a trend nowadays and it’s so easy for them to commit.”

A moment of fleeting silence passed before the door flung open and an all too familiar character of purebred eccentricity comes into view, bringing with him an air of light humor and braggadocio. He snorts lightly at the last statement he heard  and lets his body fall on the empty seat right beside Kyungsoo.  “Well, if only you people have thought of importing more supers like yours truly, all these problems would have been done with before things escalated into full-blown chaos.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes were obvious, their rolling movement clearly desiring to reprimand the super-powered official for his troublesome manner of talking. True, he was the best in his unit and he was a formidable superhero-slash-police officer but it does not excuse him from having to talk with manners. It ticked the bug-eyed officer beside him to no extent.

Their Chief, wanting to break the silence and the awkward tension that seems to have seeped into all of them, clears his throat and steers the conversation back to the important matters. Eyeing each official in the room as he speaks before settling his eyes on the newcomer.

“Mr. Byun.” He starts, lines of agitation and worry run deep on his forehead as he elaborates the situation. “We have attempted recruiting Superhumans and we’ve discovered more than 300 in this city.”

Baekhyun opens his mouth for a retort, wanting to know what he was doing here if there were more than 300 superhumans running around the city but he was not given the privilege to speak his opinion this time as the Chief continues speaking.

“Forty percent of those people are dead. Thirty are refusing to involve themselves and the remaining thirty have either gone into hiding, are nowhere to be found or have dormant abilities.”

Officer Byun’s eyes widened significantly and Kyungsoo slides a considerably thick file folder onto the table, nudging it against his hand with a serious expression on his meek face.

“Oh.” He responds stupidly before turning to Kyungsoo. “Looks like I got my work cut out for me.”

 

 


 

 

The teeth-grinding sounds that the steel chairs made as they screeched on the tiles signaled the end of the meeting and not without a single grimace. The look on each of the officers’ faces were sullen and dark, as if they swallowed a big canister of downers.  Though the force did not lack the number, the tide does not favor them quite so. What they have in quantity, the enemy has in quality. After all, they weren’t called supervillains for nothing, they could wipe out a whole platoon in one fell sweep and with 12% of their capabilities. It was truly a tense moment for everyone to resolve.

Baekhyun had not been expecting a crisis like this to be of a grand scale. Other countries have been put in the same situation and none have been so out of control that they had to be put into a city-wide quarantine and a state of calamity. And so as he walks through the grimy tiled floors of the station and weaves his way out of the building, he remains in deep thought.

Remaining cautious and vigilant was always a default attribute for one who wants to roam the city streets, whether you be a normal civilian or a super-powered cop. No one is safe. However, Byun Baekhyun could care no less, with hands carelessly put behind his head as he walks in the most devil-may-care fashion, he weaves among the ruined structures of old apartments, some standing much better than others.

“Using nuclear weapons is totally out of the question.” He says out loud to no one in particular, a habit formed out of frustration, he speaks his thoughts out, reciting them as if it would brew a better idea when it’s uttered verbally like that. “The military force is useless against superpowers  and then….”

He stops, fingers curling slightly as little sparks crackle and form a handful of concentrated plasma on his palm. There was movement around him, he could sense it…. And hearing those big and noisy footsteps barging around was a dead giveaway. The rubble served as an instrument to him, like and echolocator of sorts, it gave away the element of surprise to whoever (or whatever) was prowling around the place. Ears perking up as he picks up a sound coming from not too far on his right, he hurls a plasma bolt towards the direction, raising an arm up to shield himself from the flying debris that came from the succeeding explosion. From the smoke, he can see a faint silhouette of a tall figure and he squint his eyes, trying to catch a glimpse of the face of his stalker.

Right hand raised as a growing ball of energy once again is concentrated in his palm while his left hand is holding back his arm as if preparing for some sort of recoil. Aim, shoot, kill was his own protocol and he had no reason to hold back, the city was, after all, in complete and utter chaos.

And as he prepared to fire, a small click and the cold hard barrel of a gun was pointed right against the back of his head. The drawback of his unused power made grunt and it took a toll on his body , such powerful matter after being pent up should have been released but the situation called for letting it die down in his hands and his body had absorbed the energy back inside him. Baekhyun had noticed the presence of another person neither did he expect one to be smart enough. He raised both his hands upward, silently cursing in his head because of what he had gotten himself into.

“Keep your hands up or your guts will spill all over the ground.” The voice behind him spoke and it gave him quite an intimidation. It was commanding and overwhelming but rather hollow as if the person it belonged to was devoid of emotions.

“Yifan, take it easy.” The shadowy figure in front of him finally spoke out and as the smoke cleared, he could now finally see his face. To say he was baffled was an understatement. Before him stood a young man, tall in stature and possessed a deep and thick baritone… what puzzled Baekhyun was the fact that  the male had a very youthful appearance, boyish and friendly-looking. It was what one would recognize to fall in a category of endearing. Cute, maybe. The boy was a walking paradox. “Just… please hand over some food and money and maybe something to drink and I promise we won’t bother you again.” The young man spoke once again, this time with an apologetic smile on his face.

“In case you’re forgetting, this midget almost blew you to bits.” The guy behind him, Yifan as the other called him, jabbed the gun slightly more against his head and he had to suppress a small whine (and perhaps an eye roll). He then finds ‘Yifan’ casually manhandling him, grabbing him by the back of his collar and lifting him up a few inches from the ground as if he weighed nothing.

“Will you ever stop being such a bully, Yifan?” Chanyeol walked closer and pried Yifan’s hands away, which in turn had Baekhyun sprinting away, hands at the ready to defend himself from any other sudden attacks that the two might have under their sleeves. But there came none. The two just argued right in front of him.

Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol, who was a few inches shorter than Yifan had tried taking the gun from him and when he did succeed in doing so, hit the taller one slightly with it on the head. A loud groan came from Yifan as he desperately rubbed on the sore spot. “Chanyeol, what the heck?!”

The officer merely clears his throat, trying to remind the two bickering giants that he was still there. The pair turns to look at him and Baekhyun swore they almost looked like twins with their flaming auburn hair, while Chanyeol’s is slightly longer and curly, Yifan’s was neatly styled and was straight. “What?” they ask in unison.

“You’re muggers huh? I guess I’ll have to arrest you for assaulting an officer and for possession of illegal firearms.” Baekhyun stated, leaning his weight slightly onto the side as he folds his arms across his chest loosely.

“We’re sorry.” Chanyeol apologizes, looking down as he chews on his lower lip and kicks on some pebbles on the ground and Baekhyun had taken his time observing the appearance of the two males. They looked grungy and dirty and their clothes were soiled and torn. It was then that he finally noticed that both of them were also injured. “We’re really starving and we were running away from this… psycho that razed down the city where we were living in. Yifan and I… we’re just in need of help.”

“Couldn’t you have approached me like a normal person would? You guys didn’t have to be total creeps… and you…” He turns to the taller male, slightly relieved that he was at a relatively safe distance from him, as he was tall and he would have met a faceful of his chest and it would lessen his authoritativeness. “You don’t point guns at officers or anyone else that’s innocent! That’s just stupid.”

Yifan rubs his temples and Chanyeol, with brows furrowed, nods solemnly.

Baekhyun only smiles, tilting his head towards the direction of the Police Station.

“Come with me, I can get you some food or something. I won’t detain you, don’t worry.”

 

 


 

 

“So…. Uhm…  Officer Byun.”

“Call me Baekhyun.”

“Baekhyun…. Who told you that you can shelter hobos in my office?”

Do Kyungsoo purses his lips and pops them back out, bug-eyed expression forever plastered onto his face as he watches his co-officer plaintively leaning back against his leather chair, legs propped up onto his (newly polished) mahogany table as if he was the boss. And then there were two strangers (‘ugh. So dirty.’) huddled up on the couch near his desk, sleeping soundly.

The officer places his hands behind his head and smiles sheepishly at him and he could do nothing but groan and comply. After all, he was already warned of Byun Baekhyun’s nature and his reputation as a co-worker.  He’s seemingly informal and bizarre and did as he wants but he always got the job done and it was probably the only reason why he decided, even before meeting him, that he would just put up with the guy no matter how insufferable he was. For him, it was all for the greater good anyway.

The two ‘guests’ stirred in their sleep, one lifts his head from the other’s shoulder and blinks sleepily around the room and observes Kyungsoo’s face for a few good seconds before muttering a husky ‘hello’ and a nod of his head signaling his acknowledgement, Kyungsoo did just the same and he looks to Baekhyun, who by now, had a stupid grin on his face. It gave him chills, wondering if it was safe for him to be in the same room as the other officer, much less with two other strangers.

“They’re survivors, Kyung.” Baekhyun says, voice strangely turning much firmer with resolution but with a warm smile on his face. Kyungsoo brushes off the untimely use of a new nickname and mouths an “Ah~ … I see.” And Baekhyun tentatively stands up, smoothing out his uniform as he watches Chanyeol trying to wake Yifan from his pleasant slumber. “We don’t get much survivors from other cities… actually, I’m pretty sure you know we don’t get any at all.”

The silence permeated the air for a few minutes as they remained in silent thought, taking in the severity of their situation and contemplating about a lot of things that addled their brains to such an annoying extent… that was until Chanyeol piped up, fire burning in his eyes.

 

“I want to be of some use…. I want to be able to help.” He looks up at both of the officers and all the people inside the room, including the still groggy Yifan, threw him a flabbergasted expression. But Chanyeol was adamant, his fingers curling onto the fabric of his pants, knuckles turning white.

 

 

“I want this war to stop. Train me.”

 

 

 


 

A/N:

This took so long to make like... OMFG. But I'm glad I got it out. Updates would probably be a bit spontaneous every now and then but yeah. I'm trying to single this one out and limiting it with only a few chapters. So yep. Enjoy. Comments and Feedbacks are loved.