1.

✖ S ℎ α Ƭ Ʈ ℜ ℯ ᴆ

“Jjong,” a soft voice called out to the young boy who sat alone in the corner. “Come here, there are some people I’d like you to meet.”

The boy got up and jogged over to where the woman stood with another couple and a boy his age.

“This here is Mr. and Mrs. Kim and their son, Kibum. They’ll be your new family from now on.”

The two boys exchanged glances and shared a small smile.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Kibum” the older boy looked at the younger not knowing what to say.

“What’s wrong Jjong?”

“….Umma a-and appa…” he looked down “they were hit by a drunk driver…”

“….What…?”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Well, as you can see, we have a son who’s slightly younger than you two,” the man chuckled as he put an arm around the fragile woman presumed to be his wife. “So I don’t think having two extra bodies with us will be a hassle. In fact, I believe you guys will get along just fine. Isn’t that right Taemin?” He smiled as he looked at the boy hiding behind his mother.

The boy nodded, “it’s nice to meet you Jonghyunie hyung, Kibummie hyung.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Crash.

“Ugh….”

Another slap.

Blood ran down the boy’s face as the man readied his hand for another slap.

“You’re my son! I have every right to do what I want with you!” He spat and struck again.

“Appa! Please don’t do this! Do you think umma would be happy with this!?!”

“Shut up you little brat! You should be glad I’m letting you three stay here! Now go get me my beer!”

“Taemin… I’m fine. Just go.”

“B-but Jonghyun hyung…” The younger stared at the boy on the ground, his face filled with worry. “…Hyung!”

“Yah you stupid brat! Didn’t you hear me? Go get me my beer!”

Taemin whimpered a bit but remained in his place.

“Taem… go get him his beer…” a barely audible raspy voice spoke up.

“Kibum hyung!”

Kibum limped down the stairs towards where Jonghyun laid. “Just do it baby…”

“Neh…” He quickly ran off to the kitchen.

At least he would be saved…

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

His eyes fluttered open and he blinked against the morning sun that peeked through the windows. The pain from the previous night finally set in as he shifted his weight, carefully so he wouldn’t wake the sleeping figure on his chest. The door to the room flung open revealing a thin figure.

“Jonghyun hyung.”

“Yeah?”

“Are you ok seems like a stupid question right now, but how are you and Kibum hyung feeling?”

Kibum stirred, his head removed from Jonghyun’s chest.

“We’ve been better,” the older boy mumbled, wrapping his arms around Kibum and pulled the blanket around them.

“Is he up yet?” Taemin shook his head.

“I don’t think he’ll be up for a while.”

Jonghyun nodded, “Why don’t you go wash up and get ready. School starts in an hour.”

“I’ll get some breakfast for us too,” Taemin said as he walked out the door.

Jonghyun stared at the ceiling and sighed. It’s another one of those days. He shook the sleeping boy’s shoulder, “Kibum-ah, wake up.”

Kibum buried his face into the pillow, “now?”

Jonghyun chuckled, “wanna skip?”

Kibum looked up and playfully punched Jonghyun’s shoulder. “shuddap and get up.”

The two got up and headed to the bathroom to wash up. Once they were done, they got dressed.

 “Skinny jeans again diva?”

“What, got a problem with it dino? The school uniforms are so ugly there’s no way I’m wearing those things.” Kibum complained with a disgusted look on his face as he buckled his grey belt to match his black skinny jeans.

“Kibum hyung, Jonghyun hyung! I got hot dogs and milk for breakfast.” Taemin smiled as he walked into their room once more, this time holding a plastic bag.

Kibum grabbed their bags and rushed Taemin out, “come one let’s go. We can eat on the way to school.”

Jonghyun grabbed his notebook that was on the desk and ran after them. “hey wait up! At least let me put this in my bag!”

~ ~ ~

“Alright class, take your seats. We have a lot to cover today!” The recently hired young teacher, Lee Jinki, spoke as he walked in holding a thick stack of books. He quickly scanned around the room noticing three empty desks at the back of the room. “Where are those three?”

His question was answered by the door opening “right here old man.”

Jinki frowned at the lack of respect “what have I told you about that Kibum. I’m not that old!”

The boy shrugged, “Still old.”

His reply was followed by giggles from the class.

“Just take your seats”

“Take my seat where? On your desk? I-“ Kibum joked, but was cut off by Jonghyun and Taemin dragging him to his own desk in the back.

“Thank you. Now…We have a very nice surprise today. We have two transfer students joining us so please give them your biggest welcome. You guys can come in” He called towards the door.

The door opened once again revealing a petit girl with long black hair slightly highlighted at the tips and a guy with medium short black hair with red highlights.

“Why don’t you guys introduce yourselves,” Jinki smiled and urged them to the front of the room.

They shared a look with each other and the boy spoke up. “Hi I’m Lee Minjin and this is my sis Lee Minhee. As you can tell we’re twins, it’s nice to meet you all.”

“Good good good~ um… I’ll go get you another desk since there’s only one of them there.” Jinki pointed to a seat in the back next to Jonghyun’s desk.

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it. Minjin and I can share a seat,” the girl spoke up, dragging her twin with her down the aisle to their seat.

“Are you sure?” They both nodded

“Yup.”

“At least get another chair so you don’t have to share the same seat all day. Jonghyun, go to the store room and get another chair for them.”

Jonghyun looked up hearing his name. “Me?”

“Yes you, seeing as you’ll be desk neighbors, you should be friendly.”

Minhee interrupted sensing that her so called desk neighbor was getting irritated. “It’s ok, just tell me where the store room is and I’ll get it.”

“It’s down the hall, last door on the right,” Kibum spoke up.

“I’ll go with you” Minjin said, grabbing Minhee’s hand and headed out the door.

Minhee took one more look at her desk neighbor before going out to, only to find him writing intently in his notebook.

Class went on normally afterwards. Soon it was lunch time and students piled out of the classrooms rushing to the cafeteria or wherever it is that they went. A few people from the class stayed behind, hoping to familiarize themselves with the twins, but most of them were kindly rejected.

“Minjin…” Minhee spoke in a soft whisper, tugging at the hem of her twin’s shirt.

“I know.. .come on.”

The two of them made their way to the roof with their lunches looking for some privacy.

“Minjin, was this really the best choice? I mean…” She hesitated. “What if he finds us again?”

“Shhh he won’t. I won’t let him. Not again.” He replied hugging her, her hair, calming her. “Let’s not worry about him anymore and eat lunch ok?”

She nodded, setting their lunches on the ground and beamed, “I made omurice and steak with tiramisu for desert~ it’s your favorite right?”

He chuckled and patted her head “you know me the best sis~”

“Of course~ I’m not your twin for nothing you know.”

“And you’re the best twin anyone can ask for.”

“No Sherlock~ I’m gonna get us some napkins.” She stood up and skipped to the door that led to the roof. To her surprise, it swung open causing her to bump into a tall figure and fell back.

“Ow….” She winced, standing up to brush off her skirt.

 “Sorry, I didn’t expect anyone there.”

She looked up and saw that it was one of the guys that sat by the window in her class.

“Sorry, it was my fault too, and it looks like I just made you lose your lunch.” She said looking at what was his lunch on the ground.

“Taem what have I told you about running up here? You can-“The annoyed voice of Kibum was cut off by the sight in front of him.

“Well, it looks like he already dropped his lunch bummie,” a new voice spoke up.

Minhee bowed slightly, a light flush appearing at her cheeks, “Sorry, you can eat our lunch with us if you’d like. We have omurice, steak and tiramisu.”

Taemin’s eyes lit up at the mentioning of steak “Steak? Really?”

Minhee nodded “yeah, Jinnie’s over there.” Gesturing to where he brother sat.

“Umma! Can we?” The boy beamed turning to Kibum, his eyes practically begging.

“If you want to baby…”

“Asa!” He gleamed and followed Minhee.

Jonghyun chuckled at Taemin’s innocent behavior and followed behind, it’s been a while since he has smiled like that…

“Minjinnieeee~” Minhee sang. “Looks like I caused some more trouble.”

Minjin looked up from his food and smirked “Yeah I can see that.”

“Are chu mad?” Minhee pouted and poke his cheek.

“There’s no way I can be mad at you sis,” he smiled and poked her back. “Now stop doing your fake aegyo and let them eat.”

“You guys can sit down and eat” she gave them a small smile, pushing her lunch towards them.

 “It’s alright, Key and I have our own lunches,” Jonghyun interjected as he took a seat next to Kibum.

  They ate in arctic silence, Taemin wolfing down his food regardless of the prickly atmosphere. When he was done, he set down the container.

“Thanks for the food, it was really good”

“It’s no problem. It was my fault for bumping into you anyway. You wouldn’t have dropped your lunch otherwise.”

Kibum then released his naggy side, “see baby? This is why you shouldn’t run up the stairs! What if something worse happened! What if you fell on your face instead or if you dirtied your clothes!”

Thankfully, Jonghyun interrupted him before he could say any more by cupping his hand over Kibum’s mouth.

“I think he gets the point now diva.”

Kibum huffed with a small frown on his face and mumbled, “He better…”

“I think we should go now, we don’t want to intrude on your lunch even more than we already have,” Jonghyun stood, helping Kibum and Taemin up.

“It’s not like you guys are intruding or anything. Plu-” Minjin spoke, but was cut off by the sound of the bell, signaling the end of lunch. “It looks like lunch just ended.”

Minhee and Minjin quickly packed up and the five of them headed downstairs for the rest of their afternoon classes.

 

 


 

A.N: ok so… here’s the start. Personally I feel like the characters weren’t introduced properly, but since I have no other way of presenting it, this will have to do. So as it’s obviously presented here, Jonghyun, Taemin and Key have a not so normal or even close to perfect family. As for the twins, what happened in their past will be reviled. The “him” they refer to will play a quite important role when he shows up.