Our story

Serendipity


A/N: Hi there wonderful earthlings. Author's note first! I incorporated a song from EXO to this fic. So whenever you see [Peter Pan], I encourage you to push that Play button of your iPods or whatever so that you can feel the story more. This fic was inspired by my friends' idea of heaven, a personality test question of his, and it is my pleasure to make a oneshot out of it. Now, to the story :D


   

Serendipity

“ Greater things come when unexpected, also Love..

 

In a funeral, he somehow wished that nothing had vanished. That nothing had lost or anything. But his presence cannot change the past - even the reality. He seemed so lost. So lost that all he did was to stare at the ground with his knees, begging. His bestfriend Chanyeol tapped him in the shoulders twice to show his deep condolences. It was the first time he saw Baekhyun like that. He never saw Baekhyun this depressed. What more can he say? Baekhyun just lost a childhood friend. He always tell stories about him and her childhood friends to the group, saying she was the most prettiest girl he has ever met but he never was attracted to. She was bubbly, too, just like Yeol, and to her even though the group didn’t get to see Baek’s friend because she was nowhere to be found because Baekhyun and her didn’t get to see each other for a long time and when he did, she has already passed away – missing, gone. His eyes were surrounded by black but not because he wore eyeliner that time, but only proved how hard he cried every night.

Days passed but Baekhyun was still quiet. He was very quiet about everything and it seemed that he will keep his mouth shut for the rest of his life. Chanyeol whispered something into his ear. He waited for his response, and was glad that he still smiled at him while he threw him again the same joke.

Different faces went into the funeral every day. Some stayed, some don’t. Some just pass by. And there’s this one girl who never misses to attend the funeral every single day. It became the thing that she can’t miss doing or (if she will) it will not put her to sleep at night. Chanyeol keenly observed her from afar, away. He minimized his eyes so that he could clearly see her features. She was a quiet type too. He never saw her talk to anyone, but there is something in her that made Chanyeol look at her even though she’s doing nothing. It was maybe because of her eyes. It’s different; it was searching for something. He gazed at her ethereal body type; light, delicate, fragile, that settled in a place where people are rarely to be found.

Interesting. It boggled his mind. What made her go here every day? People that come here are relatives or friends of the ‘dead person’ right? But she, who is she?

Several days passed by and this day was his. He had feeling that he can have answers to the questions that popped in his mind every time he saw the (mysterious) girl.

“Hello.”, the girl flinched upon hearing Chanyeol’s deep but loud voice that reverberated in her ears like a drumset. She looked at her back and saw him, smiling at her. How can he smile in amidst of the storm they’re experiencing?

Chanyeol sat beside the girl with his legs sprung out so confidently. He was very lean and tall that even when he’s sitting, he makes many different angles by only using his body.

“Do you want some?”, he offered a handful of crackers divided into little pieces which she can easily toss inside to eat. The girl looked at it and shook her head to say ‘No’. But even rejected to his offer, it made Chanyeol curious about knowing her even more.

He didn’t even pause or anything. It’s as if there was some force pulling him to introduce his self to her, and though he knew there is only a fifty-fifty percent chance that she also wanted to give him her name. “I know I never talked to you. But I always see you around. I’m Chanyeol by the way.”, he wiped his hands with a hanky he held in his right hand and offered it for a formal  handshake. He can’t be rude. She’s a girl and he knows that a girl has to be treated someone special. There were some differences about greeting girls from boys.

The girl is just silent. She didn’t even showed any expressions in her face. Her eyes concentrated to the urn in front of them. Even though they’re sitting a little far away from it, something was pushing her to go inside. To take a look at it – even just for once.  

 

Her soul cried terribly but no tears were allowed to fall down to her cheeks. She wanted to; but she can’t. She’s bounded.   

“Yeah. I know it’s a terrible accident.”, Chanyeol snuck down his head. He was forced to look down because it is his only resort. He made air drawings on the ground with moving his fingers and he continued to talk.

 

[the accident]

Pain, anger, but most of all loss of trust – these were what all she felt that time when driving alone. She cannot take the fact that she was betrayed the only man she’s loved, the only man she’d given her all. She could not just believe it. She can’t just be wrong about picking the guy who in a few weeks will be tied up to her. She cannot bear the pain. It was indeed very painful and she had to let go. Few of her friends told her this but she did not listen to them which makes her feel worse. Sorrow, pain and pity were there but she’s alone. Her phone suddenly rings and she knew that it was from her ex, her soon-to-be lawfully wedded husband but will not be.

Her eyes were blocked by continuing tears that flowed without her even controlling. It blurred her vision. Where can she go? She knew that this day wouldn’t be like this if only she listened to her friends. But no. There’s no choice but to run away. She continued to drive and cleared up the windshields. There will be a coming heavy rain according to the news before she turned the radio off. Her phone still rings and she tossed it into the backseat. “Stop! Please stop!”, she shouted though she knew she’s the only one who can hear it.

 

By manuevering the steering wheels to the left, she stopped, trying to recover from what she thought a bad dream. And when the vehicle and the roar of its engine stopped, then she remembers the good memories she had with his ex. It all boils up to the point where she can’t control the weight of her given emotions. She was guilty, too. That even it wasn’t her fault she blames herself for letting him go. She blames herself for turning him down and saying she was busy with her work every time he invites her for a date. She was too nonchalant of what’s happening in their relationship. She was just too dumb to naive.

And now, she was getting the reason of her, their end.

She reached for her phone, believing that she is not capable in living alone and forgetting all, forgetting that she was in the middle of the road.

Not until she was informed by one man’s honk of his horn. Another vehicle of many passengers and commuters – a bus, became visible to her sight.

 

 

“.. but even though it is, I know Baekhyun will soon be alright again.”

Unwittingly, she took steps, leaving Chanyeol on the porch they are sitting at. “Hey.”

She has to go.

But she doesn’t want to.

She doesn’t want to.

“Hey, hey. Where are you going?”, Chanyeol followed her, anxious to where she was to go. After taking a few steps, a group entered the room, blocked his way and by that time, he can’t see her figure anymore. She had simply vanished.

 

---

 

He knew she was going to the funeral again so he waited for the clock to tick 10:30. It was the same time everyday where she goes and sits by the porch that is near a table where Chanyeol and his friends stood by.

“Hey!”, he waved his hand, letting it flutter to the cold breeze outside. He clasped it with the other and blows air to it so that he can feel warmth. He panted and closed his knees when he reached the place she was resting.

“You left me yesterday. Don’t you know how horrible is that?”, saying that. He showed his clingy side. He was fond of interactions, making relationships, socializing and learning different things from them which he can adapt to his own life.

The estranged girl looked at her, vaguely remembering his face. “Me? Chanyeol?”, he pointed at himself and widened his eyes that made it look even larger. “Do you remember now?”

Her neatly shaped eyebrows furrowed a little until, “Ah.”, she replied with a nod. It was the first time he heard her voice. It was soft and entailed with that, he can feel her sincerity – her soul. He cannot deny the fact that he was moved by her and little by little, their conversation went into deeper topics that made them see that they have similarities. Days passed and they see each other in the same place, in the same time, in the same atmosphere, but in a different world. It’s a funeral.

 

“So you just go here to hang around?”, Chanyeol was always the one to ask because she never initiated a conversation. Every day, they’d walk around the place, searching, exploring and buying time. “No.”, with a subtle sigh, she replied.

 

Everything has reasons. Maybe she’s just not that prepared. Maybe she’s not just willing. If somebody was to die, are they aware of what they’d lose?

 

“I.. I don’t even know why.”

“What? You don’t why you come here?”, he cannot just believe her.

“I’m sorry!”

“Wait. What?”, besides that she left Chanyeol in a cliffhanger situation, she disappeared like a bubble and ran away. Chanyeol rubbed his nape and kicked a pebble which is on his way. Putting his two hands inside his pocket makes him feel better, and so he did. He looked down, turned, and what his feet dragged him into is a true cliff. “What the-”, he almost tripped and he thanked that he did not fell into it.

Dropping his body to the ground beside the cliff, he moved a little farther away from it. His heart pounded rapidly, so fast that he can’t even calculate every beat even though he’s very good in Mathematics. Somehow he was relieved, but in the twin of it something tells him to take a peek. Chanyeol slowly moved his head and crawled towards the high amount of land before him. The wind brushed his hair, his face, his body. Waves crashed creating sounds of roars. A few centimeters away he can now see his pitfall. He was very afraid that time to see cops surrounding around the area. There was a bit of land that was partly covered by the sea when it crashes into the walls.

And there was him. There were his friends, surrounding his body.

“Luhan!”, he called. But he’s not being answered by anyone from the group. Kris was angry about it. Kai was devastated, having his head hidden between his knees. Sehun blamed himself. Baekhyun was lost. He immediately went to somewhere far away and screamed while Tao and the others consolidated him. It made him weak, angry, depressed, lonely. When Chanyeol saw this, he immediately searched for a way to the land where his body is.

“Guys! I’m here!”, he tried to pat Kyungsoo’s arm but his hand just passed onto it, barely touching anyone, anything.

“What is this? I can’t understand.”, he muttered while moving his feet back. He ran. He ran his all might. Crystalline tears fell down from his cheeks.

While running, the girl saw her from afar. “He cannot be. No. He’s not dead, isn’t he?”, She also cried. But similarly to him, she cannot do a thing.

 

[Chanyeol]

He rode on the bus that was to go to Incheon International Airport. Sehun initiated to send him there but he received an emergency call from his father that night for a business talk so he failed to do so. Chanyeol drifted down his lot and grabbed his things. He lifted it to the bus and travelled to his preferred bus seat – the second seat at the back. There were only a few people who are in. Maybe because it’s late.

Sight-seeing is one of his favorite hobbies so sat in the side of the windows where he can freely run his eyes to the places he’s passing by.

The wind is icy cold so he snuggled inside his furry coat to keep himself warm. It’s warmer than he expected. But something scratched his back. He forgot to tear off the price tag. Un-enveloping from the cozy accessory, he moved his hands gently and put up his strength to cut the little piece of paper with only his hands. After a few tries, he did it. But he did it with hurting his hand. Good thing he’s not afraid of blood. With a hanky he has saved in his right pocket, he pressed it into his left pointing finger to control the flow of blood. However, it continued to exert out.

Then two mouths started to scream. The vehicle made twists and turns and were out of control. Screeches. The next thing he remembered is that he’s vision was already covered with black. There were no signs, no other people or anything, and then he was there – at the funeral.

 

“I’m so sorry.”, she cried. But no one heard it, no one except from him – Chanyeol. He leaned into the façade of an old building near. After all, there was nothing to run away from. His eyes were blank, appearing so nonchalant. “Hey,”, the girl held both of his shoulders and swayed it, watched it move like a ragdoll’s. Her eyes were also vaguely seeing him. There has been always a thick sheen of tears encrypted on it.

“It’s not your fault.”, he calmly said. “If I was to die, it’s my fate. I cannot blame anyone for ‘it’.”, she eyed him cautiously. Deep sorrow was engraved in the way he said his line but he’s pushing his best in trying to accept it.

“No, you’re not.”

---

 

“Forty days?”, Chanyeol paused for a while and stopped walking. “So you’ve been here for forty days yet you’re not leaving?”

Ara frowned. ‘Yoo Ara’, that was her given name. “So you wanted me to leave?”

“Well I thought you knew the answer to that.”, he joked and she nudged him in his chest. A few more steps, they are to enter a room where Chanyeol’s body is. “Breathing? Check.”, she moved her fingers and made a check in the invisible wind as if she was the nurse checking on Chanyeol’s physical condition.

 

“Ahh, you’re checking on me now, huh?”, his comment was followed by sudden laughs. “Maybe if I’m in that body.. Ow!”, he yelped. Ara stomped at his foot.

“I’m just making sure..”

“.. that I’m alive or sure that I’m dead so that I’ll be with you?”, it wasn’t an intended question and Chanyeol just realized it after he finished his line. His sarcastic laugh began to cease. There was a bit pause. Ara’s face grew more serious. “Kidd!”, he messes her hair similar to what older brother’s do to their sisters.

 

Though they were the only ones who can see each other because they are in the same accident, they found similarities within each self that they gave meaning a lot. Ara said she wants to be a doctor someday. Chanyeol did wish for that, too. But one of the greatest things they have in common is that, on the night they are compiled, they met the most wonderful persons they could never thought they’d meet in their entire life.

Ara sat in one of the benches inside the hallway.

“I only said that because I care.”, she sighed.

Chanyeol hissed. “I know.”, he knocked his head and shifted his sight to his body. “I’m just too dumb to think that I can be with you until forever..”, he stifled his back to rest and continued to talk, “If only.. If only Ara. I could leave all. I will-”

“Chanyeol.”, she looked at him straightly. “No.”, shook her head.  

 

Things are so complicated whenever feelings are involved. And the hardest part of this is stopping your heart to love somebody because you’re think you’re not worthy of him.

 

“Ara.”

The monitor beeped. Chanyeol was getting revived into life. Lay, who was sleeping near Chanyeol’s bed, woke up from a deep sleep when Tao tapped his shoulder. They hurried to press the button at top of Chanyeol’s bed rest. A few moments after a doctor came with a supporting nurse.

“Ara?”, Chanyeol looked unconscious of himself. He tilted his head but Ara was nowhere. He searched at the stairs, “Ara? Hey.”, her silhouette became famous in his eyesight. “Wait!”, he doubled-up his pace to catch her. 

“Where you going?”, grabbing her skinny elbow, Ara was jailed. She looked at him, judging if she was about to stay or not. “You’re not going with me.”, she strongly said as she pushed him away. With great strength she exerted, Chanyeol’s body almost fell onto the floor. “Why?”

“Wait! Ara!”, they went outside the hospital where different cars passed by. Chanyeol almost forgot that he is a soul and busied himself in avoiding the cars. Meanwhile, it is Ara who is brave enough to pass onto it without hesitating. “Ara!”, he called several times but she didn’t even turned her back, even for once.

 

 

“Chanyeol. Chanyeol, can you hear me?”, Kris said. “Chanyeol it’s us. Your friends.”, Baekhyun said while nudging at Kai, commanding him to talk to their friend in bed. “Hey, wake up man or I’ll tease you sleeping beauty.”

“You’re not helping.”, Kyungsoo complained.

“Hey, Chanyeol. Wake up. Stay alive.”

Stay alive.

 

“Got ya!”, Chanyeol chained himself to Ara.

“Get off of me!”, she struggled in getting out of Chanyeol’s grip into her arms but he locked her body inside his. Now, she’s being held tightly. “I’m not letting you go.”, Chanyeol disagreed while wrapping his long slender arms around her waist.

“Let go!”, she screamed. “No. I won’t”

It’s amazing how love can turn a person. That no matter how you wanted to hate the person you love you can’t. You just simply can’t.

“I said let go of me.”

“You’re my life.”, hearing this, Chanyeol saw a tear drop into Ara’s cheek as she struggled her way out.

 

 

The heart monitor displays a horizontal line which led the Exo members to be persuaded to get out of the room by the nurses and other medical assistants.

“How’s him doc?”, Kris walked back and forth and when one of the doctors was available to talk to, he didn’t think twice but to ask him.

            “No, Chanyeol.”, Ara restored her stand.

“25/50”, the doctor looked into his sheet, shook his head and the rest of the group heaved a sigh.

            “You’ve given me my life. You make me happy.”, Chanyeol demands.

“Are there any chance for him to survive?”, Kyungsoo touched the doctor’s cloak, pleaded, hoped. “I’m sorry. We aren’t sure-”

“Just say yes!”, Kris slammed his fist onto the wall behind him.

            “No, you don’t understand. You must live.”

            “You are the one who can’t..”, Chanyeol puts on a serious tone. “I love you.”

“Calm down. Calm down.”, Baekhyun became the middleman. Although he’s of fragile when it comes to situations like these, he cannot bear what he is experiencing. It is hard for him. He already lost Ara – his childhood friend, and now.. he can’t just lose one of his ‘brothers’ too.

“I know he can do it.”, Baekhyun calmly said, trusting Chanyeol.

            “Please Chanyeol.. live”, Ara sobbed very deep. She hugged him tight, whispered something into his ear that made Chanyeol freeze. Then she closed her eyes and readied as the wind brushed her hair and gave Chanyeol a kiss.

                        “Chanyeol…?”

 

---

[Peter Pan]

It’s been nearly half a year since the accident. No claims of injury about the other passengers of the bus were reported.

 

“It’s your free day.”

“Yeah.”, he unlocked himself from his cage.

 “Looking good.”, a patient gave him a two-thumbs up.

 

“Thanks kiddo!”

 

 

 

His face was seen clear, no remnants of scars and no doubts that he is happy. Fortunately, he survived. The doctors said it’s a miracle but he himself knew that one person let him to be in where he is now –Ara.

 

As he promised, his first destination was to go here.

 

He searched for the grey stone on the ground which consisted of her name. Kneeling, he brought the flowers near to her grave.

 

“Chanyeol.”, he remembered her saying his name.

 

He brought out a letter inside his pocket, unfolded it and put it beside the flowers he had placed. The note said: “I wish you all the best”. He paused for a while and when there was nothing to do anymore, he stood up. He was pleased.

“Oh,”, not looking before he could grasp his feet flatly on the ground, he bumped into another’s body. “Sorry.”, not wanting to trip and be a cause for someone to trip, he turned to his back and gripped her in the shoulders before she could fall into the grassy land area.

“It’s okay.”, his eyes concerned to her and when he saw her face, it’s as if there was something remarkable. “You?”

The girl looked at her. “I’m sorry. Did we meet before?”

“I’ll never be gone Chanyeol. I’ll be with you always. You’ve just got to find me. ”, he remembered her last words before she vanished in the air.

“Is this what she’s telling about?”, Chanyeol murmured.

The girl docked her head and examined his reactions. “Huh? What did you say?”

“Never mind.”

“Oh, sorry”, the girl looked at his held. They are too close; too close for each other. Clumsy Chanyeol put his hands away her shoulders while she moved away from his manly chest. She laughed at Chanyeol’s funny movements. He can’t get rid of eyeing away from her. “I’m Park Chanyeol by the way,”, he offered his hand.

“and you?”

.

.

The girl gazed at him, and for this time, she accepted his hand. “Ara.”

With hearing her name, Chanyeol widened his eyes.

“Ara Song. Nice to meet you, Park Chanyeol.”