Part five

Another man's baby

image

"So I wasn't going to ask, but I'm going to any way. Why are you reading?" I put down my book and looked up at Thunder. 

"What? I can't read?" I said frowning up at him. He shrugged his shoulders and smiled. 

"You don't usually read unless it is magazines." He got up and moved quickly to the other side of the room before I could punch him. I stared at him until I was sure I melted his brain with the lasers coming out of my eyes, then I continued reading my book. He came back by my side and sat down next to me. 

"Plus, since when are you pregnant." He said peeking at the title of the book. 

"Do you want to die?" I said ignoring him as I continued reading. He laughed and took the book out of my hands. "Yah, Thunder, I will feed your cat ham if you don't stop bothering me." I saw fear ignite in his eyes. He hated when someone fed his cat "crap food". 

"Sorry, I'm just curious." I looked at him as he gave me a persuasive smile. I sighed and sat up to tell him the whole story. 

"You know that one girl I've liked since grade school?" 

"Yeah. She finally became blind and accepted your ugliness?" He said laughing at his own joke. I stare at him with my unamused face. "Sorry." He mumbled.

"She got pregnant and her boyfriend left her." The smile on his face disappeared and he shook his head.

"I always knew that guy was a bum." He said. "So why are you reading .." He paused to read the title of the book. " Pregnancy 101?"

I took the book back and marked my page. "Because I'm going with her to the doctor today and I wanted to ask the doctor some questions to make sure everything will go smoothly during her pregnancy." 

"Oh, alright." He said leaving the room. I laid back down on my back and began flipping through the pages of the nutrition chapter. I got out a piece paper I tucked under my leg and wrote down another question I had. "What kinds of foods will help with stretch marks?". 

"What time is it?" I asked myself as I searched the bed for my phone. "Hm?" I said frustrated as I rummaged through my desk also. I walked out into the kitchen to see if I left the phone on the table. 

"Thunder have you seen my phone?" I said as I saw him throwing something under a pillow. 

"Thunder." 

"Byunghee." He said in return with a big smile on his face.

"Give it. Did you change the screensaver to something stupid again?" I said getting closer, he tried to run away but I tackled him. 

"Thunder!" I screamed at him as I muted the phone. "What the hell are you doing?" 

"Just helping you out." He said glancing over at me. 

"UGHHHHH! Shut up and let me handle this." I said as I put the phone onto my ear. 

"Hello?" Jaejin said into the phone. 

"Whatever he said ,don't listen to him." I said quickly into the phone. 

"Why not? I think it is cute that you were reading a pregnancy book." 

image

"No. No. No. I wasn't." I said denying the truth.

"He even wrote a list of questions for doctor." Thunder said screaming into the phone. 

"He is dumb!" I said covering his voice with my own. 

"I don't care, just come and pick me up." She said with a slight hint of laughter in her voice.

"I'm coming." I said hanging up the phone and staring at Thunder.

"She thinks you're cute." He said getting up and walking away casually. 

"I'll get you back!"

"I'll be waiting." He said laughing evilly.

-----------------------------------------------------

image

She sat on the edge of a brick ledge waiting for me in her bright pink coat that matched the color of her wine red hair. 

"Get on." I said handing her another helmet.

"We are going to ride on this in the middle of the winter?" She said taking the helmet anyway. 

"Sorry, I forgot my limo at the I'm poor store." I said sarcastically making her laugh. 

"Come on, we're going to be late." She said hugging me from behind me. I felt her head rest on my back and her little bump rest on my back as well.

------------------------------------------

"Careful." I said helping her off the bike. "Why are you wearing heels?"

"I can't be fashionable while I'm pregnant?" 

"Yeah, you can, but what if you fall?" 

"You weren't afraid that we could have gotten into an motorcycle accident and my baby would have been in trouble?" 

"Well.. you're right. I'm sorry." I said signing onto the sheet. 

"Joking, oppa." She said sitting down next to me. I looked around at the other women in the office, they all had their husbands by their side. I looked over at Jaejin who didn't seem to notice she was too busy reading a pregnancy magazine. 

"Are you scared?" I asked her softly. She looked up at me surprised then her eyes softened and smiled at me.

"I'm fine, you seem more worried than I am. It's okay, I was more scared when I first came here by myself to see if I was really pregnant." She patted my leg to reassure me that she was okay. I looked at her as she picked the magazine back up and started reading again. A smile still lingered around the corner of her lips. How could a woman be so strong?

"Sorry I wasn't there for you." I said staring at her. She smiled but never took her eyes off the page. "You have nothing to be sorry about." 

"Jaejin kim." A nurse said with a file in her arm. She smiled brightly at us as we got up to follow her down the light green colored hall. 

"Jaejin, how is everything this week? Is the morning sickness getting better?" The woman in the chair said as she got up to hug Jaejin. 

"Much better after the medication you gave me." Jaejin said sitting down on the table. 

"And who is this dashing man, is this your husband you've been talking about?" The doctor said shaking my hand.

"Yes." I said without looking at Jaejin, I knew she wanted a man by her side, and even if I was her fake husband I would stick to my role until the very end. 

"Nice to finally meet you." She said taking a seat next to the computer and began clicking around. I stood stiff by the door.

"Are you nervous?" Jae said looking over at me as she took off her coat and folded it, placing it onto the counter.

"Yeah." I admitted. 

"Come here." She said patting the chair beside the table. I came by her side and took the seat beside her. 

"Ready?" The doctor said looking at both of us. We both nodded as the doctor lifted up her shirt revealing her smooth convexed shaped stomach. "Let's see, you see that?" The doctor said pointing to the big monitor. "The baby is its thumb." 

"It's adorable." Jaejin said smiling at the screen. I looked over at her and somehow she looked more beautiful than she ever did with her make up and stylish outfits. 

"You're about sixteen weeks along right?" The doctor asked Jaejin, she nodded unable to take her eyes off of the screen. "Your baby looks healthy." 

"Can we hear it's heart beat?" I asked the doctor. She smiled over at me and nodded. I didn't think I would ever be happy to hear the sound of a heart, but it felt real now listen to the baby's heart. It was alive, it was real. 

Jaejin's hand reached for mine as she watched the screen and then closed her eyes letting a tear escape from her eyes. 

"Beautiful, isn't it?" The doctor said smiling at us. 

"Yes, absolutely." I said looking at the monitor then back at Jaejin.