A Day with Byun Bacon

The Mermaid Girl

I was sick the next day.

 

The stress and tire from the night before had builded up to this, and I couldn't do anything but lie in the couch, watching TV heartlessly. It had to be the worst possible timing ever.

My sad thoughts went on and on even throughout the comedy show Chanyeol hyung had to make me feel better. I couldn't even focus on the screen. My eyes were lifeless, and all I could think about was how horrible of a guy I was.

 

"I'm the worst guy ever." I groaned for the umpteenth time that morning. Baekhyun hyung, sitting near me, sighed at my depressing image.

"Just think of it like an experience, Sehun. You're still young... You should know how a breakup feels like."

I looked at him sadly.

"Do you think I hurt her badly?"

"Are you kidding? Of course. She might've not bawled her eyes out in front of you yesterday, but that's because she's mature. She's good at hiding things like feelings." He blurted out the truth.

I sighed and burried my face into a pillow.

"What if she's crying to herself right now..."

"Well, that's what happens if you carry on a relationship where the girl likes you more than you like her. Especially since it's you, Sehun. You don't know how to break off something harshly even if it's needed."

"God, hyung, stop making me feel so guilty."

 

The commercials came on the screen. I suddenly remembered how much Jiwon used to hate commercials in the middle of a good drama scene. She would always groan and promise that she would call SBS one day to complain.

A commercial about The Little Mermaid DVD's on sale appeared.

 

Baekhyun hyung suddenly looked at me.

"Hey... But, who's the other girl?"

I watched the little clips from The Little Mermaid go by on the screen, with Ariel and Flounder swimming through the ocean in glee, singing songs and laughing.

What would Yoosol be doing right now?

 

"Hyung." I suddenly called out.

Baekhyun hyung looked at me. "Yeah?"

I watched the comercial end, with Ariel's voice from Part of Your World echoing in the background as a huge $12.00 showed across the screen.

 

"Can you take me to the beach right now?"

"... The beach? Why? It's cold there right now, and you're sick."

"It's fine. I'm just not going to be able to drive. Which is why I need you, hyung."

 

Baekhyun hyung frowned at me in confusion.

"But why the beach all of a sudden?"

"Because...." I smiled. "The girl lives there."

".... She.... She lives on the beach?"

I looked at him.

 

"She lives in the water. She's a mermaid. I fell for a mermaid."

------------------------------------------

The car ride to the beach was totally different from all the other peaceful car rides before.

Baekhyun hyung was loud. And maybe even more excited than I was to go see Yoosol.

 

"I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT. She's a MERMAID?! How's she like?! Did you see her tail?! Is she hot?! Wait, she's Korean, right?!"

"Hyung, please focus on the road. I don't want to die."

"But she's a MERMAID, SEHUN. I canNOT believe you didn't tell me before!..... But, hey, so... Does she have any other hot mermaid friends?"

 

We soon somehow managed to arrive safely to the beach, thankfully.

I opened the car door, just to see Baekhyun hyung do the same. I widened my eyes at him,

"Woah, woah, woah. Hyung, just WHERE do you think you're going?"

"To go see your girlfriend, of course."

"And WHY?"

He gave me a look.

"Hey. I was just told that my favorite dongsaeng's new girlfriend is a mermaid. Do you think I can sit still in this car while you guys have your own fun with Flounder and Sebastian?!"

I rolled my eyes.

"Fish and crabs don't talk."

"Whatever. I'm coming with you. Besides, she'll like having another handsome guy visiting her for once."

I frowned.

"She will?" I muttered to myself as Baekhyun hyung walked towards the beach, whistling with his hands inside his pocket.

 

"Wrong way, hyung."

"Well, excuse ME, I don't know my mermaid neighborhoods."

------------------------------------------------

"Yoosol?"

I frowned at the empty spot on the rock, looking around for the girl.

"Where--"

"BOO!"

I gasped at the sudden small, thin pair of arms that had wrapped around my waist. A light, sweet laugh was heard from behind me.

"Hi, Sehun~"

I smiled and turned around to see Yoosol grinning up at me, her eyes sparkling.

"Silly girl~" I cupped my hands around her cheeks. But before I leaned in, a loud, familiar voice broke the quiet mood.

 

"GOD, SEHUN, THERE you are, I was looking EVERYWHERE for you--"

Baekhyun hyung stopped and dropped his jaw when he saw Yoosol.

"HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS. Are you the MERMAID?!"

"And are you BYUN BACON?!"

Baekhyun hyung blinked in confusion. "What, you know me?!"

Yoosol smiled. "You're the seriously clumsy hyung who once mistaked Sehun's wallet for bacon and set in on fire!"

I couldn't help but burst out laughing at Baekhyun hyung's face.

He glared at me.

"Just WHAT have you been telling about me to this sweet and innocent lady?!"

 

It obviously turned out to be a huge mistake in my part to bring Baekhyun hyung here.

Whenever I tried to get close or make a mood with Yoosol, he would always barge in saying or doing something that ruined the entire mood. I would always be left feeling the bitter feeling of annoyance.

"Yoosol--" I began.

"Hey, Yoosol! Can you show me around the beach? I've always wanted a MERMAID to give me a tour guide around a beach~"

I blew air into my cheeks and glared at Baekhyun hyung.

"That doesn't even make any sense. And just go give a tour to yourself. You don't need a precious mermaid to guide you all around here."

"But I'm precious. So that's why I need a precious mermaid to guide my precious self around this precious beach." He winked at Yoosol. "Right, Precious?"

I dropped my jaw.

"Hyung. Stop ruining my girl's innocent ears. I'm gonna throw up."

"Well, then go to a bathroom instead of dirtifying this precious beach."

 

Yoosol seemed to be having fun, on the contrary. Of course she was... She had actually met 'the famous Byun Baekhyun who had set Sehun's wallet on fire'. To her, it was like living a sitcom.

The day passed quickly, which made it all the more bitter to say goodbye to the girl I loved without even spending a good time with her.

 

Baekhyun hyung drove the way back, and the car ride actually was quiet for once. We were both a bit tired, but then again, it seemed as if Baekhyun hyung was thinking about something.

He suddenly broke the silence by speaking up.

"You know, Sehun.... You seem really happy these days."

"Of course I am. This is the happiest anything could get... I have Yoosol."

Baekhyun hyung slightly frowned.

"... But you're forgetting something, Sehun."

I blinked a few times in confusion.

"Forgetting what?"

"That Yoosol's a mermaid. And that you're a human."

I frowned.

"What do you mean by that?"

 

He looked at me.

"You both may be happy now when you're younger, but how will carry on a future like this? Are you just going to drive down here all your life to visit her while living separately?"

I was quiet. Because truthfully, I had never thought of it that way.

 

"But before you even get there, there's also something else you need to deal with right now." Baekhyun hyung said.

I looked at him, feeling a bit anxious to hear more.

"And what is that?"

"Haven't you noticed? The days are getting colder. Time is passing. What are you guys going to do when summer is completely over? The mermaids can't come out anymore."

He looked at my speechless self.

 

"What I'm saying is, this isn't going to work out if you both stay as what you are right now. Since you can't become a mermaid, Yoosol has to become a human."