1/1

Yellow eyes

                   Cha Hakyeon had never been a creature of solitude. His world, his life, his happiness came from being surrounded by other people. People that laughed at his stupid jokes and ruffled his hair in the hallways if they thought he looked sad. Hakyeon wasn’t a person that liked dark corners and silence. He had times when he needed to be away from the people that surrounded him but if that was the cases he would be online talking to his online friends that lived in Busan. Hakyeon was a social butterfly, one with brightly coloured wings that attracted all sorts of people. Hakyeon was the mother of his friends and his year group in college, he was the one that brought out the best of everyone. He helped people find their way and make friends. Everybody knew Cha Hakyeon, the social butterfly, everybody adored his bright personality, but when he went missing...when the door of his apartment was found torn of the hinges and traces of blood splattered his white sheets with crimson, why didn’t anybody search for him? Cha Hakyeon was a social butterfly, the thing about butterflies is once they’re out of sight they’re forgotten.

                  N dug his feet into the wet ground, hands buried into his matted brown hair as the pain shot through his body. Inside his head was a blur of blood and teeth, screams and voices. His breath came out in harsh pants as the moon shone above him, sending the impulses coursing through his veins. A growl ripped from his already raw throat painfully as he whimpers. He rolled onto his stomach, praying for the aching in his bones to go away. Everything felt different, painful. His eyes burned as he shut them, the colours of the forest were brighter, sharper. Every tiny movement pierced his ear drums and the scents of the pine trees and various animals overwhelmed him. Nothing made sense; everything was a blur of bright colours and loud noise. Leaves crunched as N scrambled on the wet earth, mud matting the small patches of fur that was starting to show. His bones snapping loudly, echoing in his head as tried to breathe, ribs bending and reforming. This was the second time since he’d woken alone in the dingy abandoned cabin that this had happened. The second time being no less painful then the first. He let out a whimper that turned into a howl of pain as he tried to stand shakily. N watched through brighter eyes as the forest spun around him and he heaved, the sickness filling him as he put one paw forward. Pain humming through his body at a small scale as h took the first few steps. He shook his head, opting to let out little yips instead of growls. His grey metallic fur glinting in the moon light that seeped down from the trees.

            The pain subsided as N panted softly, letting his tongue loll out the side of his mouth. His tail thumped the ground as excitement filled him. Even if the transformation was pain and he was alone, he liked being able to have this freedom. To be able to run around at high speeds. N had to bark instead of laugh as he compared himself to an overgrown puppy, technically he was a puppy. Only two months into his transformation. N howled softly, part of him wishing for an answer but knowing he wasn’t going to get any. He was alone and that’s all he could remember. He didn’t know anything outside this forest the one he’d woken up in two months ago. As he started to build up speed and race between the trees, paws kicking up the changing autumn leaves as he did, it didn’t matter. The feeling of the wind in his fur, the enticing smells of animals that ran around him was exhilarating. In the moment he forgot about the small leaky cabin, the bed made of moss and leaves, his torn clothes because he was free. He was surrounded by other creatures that were just as free as him. His world wasn’t lonely, even as the rabbits scattered before him and avoided him, there were other animals.  

              His yellow eyes narrowed as he came to a stop, tongue along his muzzle in excitement as the injured deer limped slowly in a circle. If N had been older he would have known that the scent was off, that it wasn’t a live animal. If he wasn’t driven by his instincts he would have seen the rig that just peeked up from the dead leaves. But N was a puppy, his urge to hunt taking over as he dashed forward, snarl on his lips as he pounced. Claws digging into the meat of the deer. N gagged, the stench overwhelming him as he tried to back away from the deer. Now that he was closer, it didn’t smell right, it didn’t cry out in pain and as he squint he could see the slit along the throat of the deer. Panic rose in his chest as he crouched slightly, eyes darting to the bushes as he back away. His heart pounding as he eased himself away from the scene. His foot hit something but it was too late, it had already snapped shut, drawing a pained howl from the young wolf’s throat as he trashed, trying to dislodge whatever was tearing into the flesh of his hind legs. ‘We got him Pa!’ an excited voice yelled as a figured came sprinting from the bushes. N let out loud whimpers as they closed in, trying to alert anyone who was listening to come save him. ‘Good work son. Look at that fur, so silky. Come the next full moon it’ll be just perfect for skinning and we’ll make a fortune. A puppy’s pelt is only good at the three month mark’ an older man chuckled, ignoring N’s weak growl as he slipped a muzzle on over the puppy’s snout. ‘Look at his eyes Pa! They’re yellow, he’s a submissive, they’re very rare these days in the males....we could make  bit on the side before skinning his pelt...’ the son smirked as he yanked N back roughly. N snarled, attempting to stand but the world fell away from him as something hard hit the back of his head and he collapsed to the ground with a pathetic whine.

                       Yellow eyes glowed in the tree above the clearing, soft whimpers leaving pink lips as the blonde turned his head to meet the dark brown eyes of the Alpha. The scene before them was all too familiar causing panic to rise in the blonde’s chest. ‘We have to follow them’ the blonde begged, hands shaking as the puppy’s whimpers filled the air along with the sound of his body being dragged over the fallen leaves.  ‘No Channie, it’s too dangerous and he isn’t one of ours. He’s not Starlight either, or any group I know. I’m not risking the pack’ the Alpha shook his head, his own eyes haunted with the familiar scene. Himchan whimpered, hands flying to his blonde hair. The puppy was only a few months old, he’d no control over his change like he or Yongguk did. He was alone in the forest; this was the second time Himchan had seen the lost little puppy wandering around. His excitement and agile moves only reminded him of one of their own puppies. ‘I’m not letting them do to him what they did to J-Jongup...’ Himchan’s throat burned as the name slipped off his tongue. Yongguk growled, shoulders tensing as he eyed his mate. ‘Don’t...he’s not Jongup...he’s a stray pup Himchan, we can’t save everyone’ Yongguk kept his emotions in check, as Alpha it was his job to refrain from emotional break downs but as his mate shook in front of him, tears streaming down his face he found it hard to stay calm. ‘...we couldn’t save Jongup either and he was one of us, he was our son Yongguk...I refuse to see another pup being skinned and sold. And he’s a submissive Yongguk, like me. Jongup was a Delta, he was lucky. They’re going to do to that puppy what they were doing to me when you found me Guk, I was too old to be skinned but everyone loves a submissive Yongguk...there scars he won’t ever forget if we don’t save him’ Himchan’s voice was shaking now, smalls sobs leaving his pale lips. Yongguk stepped forward, taking Himchan’s wrist in his hand and running a thumb over the scars that had almost deprived him of a mate, ‘It’s okay Channie, and I won’t let anyone hurt that pup. I’ll go contact Leo, tell him to keep an eye on Junhong and Youngjae. Don’t get caught, I need you. Daehyun will be following your scent and help’. Himchan nodded softly, feeling a weight being lifted from his chest as he gave Yongguk a quick peck and jumped from the tree, changing mid-air.  Yongguk lingered for a moment, eyes following the white blonde wolf as it disappeared quietly between the trees. His head filled with the painful howl of the pup along with the last image he had of their own pup Jongup. ‘Hang in there kid, we won’t let this happen again’.

                                                                          *

                 N had lost count of how many hours he’d spent in the cold room. The only light was a crack of pale yellow that seeped in from under the door. He was wrapped in a thin, blood covered blanket as he tried to keep himself awake. Soft whimpers escaped into the hand he had covering his mouth. He’d learned that making noise was a major no for the father and son that had him trapped in this room. His back still burned from the silver whip dipped in wolfsbane that had lashed and at the pale skin of his back. The cuts burned as they pressed against the wall and when he moved but they’d stopped bleeding at least, providing N with some relief. He wanted to cry, to howl until some other wolf heard the pain, the panic in his howl and came looking for him. He was afraid of what was to come. He was afraid of the ‘surprise’ the humans had in store for him, knowing that whatever they had gone to collect was not going to be. Not with the way they ogled him with dark eyes.  He felt the loneliness claw at the insides of his chest while his wolf howled inside him. It was desperate for someone to their wounds, for a gentle touch to sooth the pain. His chest ached at the thought of having someone to run their fingers through his hair and kiss his cheek as he drifted to sleep. N opened his eyes, letting the tears drip own his dirt covered cheeks as he started at the grey door that had him trapped, away from the only comfort he had in his life.

                 He buried his head in the blanket, forehead meeting his knees. He let out another whimper as they cuts stretched and burned, sending shockwaves through his spine. He felt the little pieces of hope slip away from him as he heard the jiggling of the lock on the other side of the door. He shifted closer, pressing himself into the wall, keeping his head down as the fans in the room started spinning, releasing the powered wolfsbane into the air to subdue him. The human had told him it was so he wouldn’t attack them. Like he could attack them with the silver device still clamped into his left ankle.  The door swung open and a scent hit him causing him to raise his head. The scent wasn’t human. It was heavier, more homely. The figures at the door coughed as the wolfsbane drifted out the door. A soft growl leaving the taller figures lips. ‘Pup? Answer me pup? Are you alive?’ a voice begged him desperately. N whimpered, trying to raise himself but yelping as he did, ‘I-I’m here...p-please help m-me...’ A soft sob left one of the figures as they barrelled into the room. Thing arms wrapping around N’s shivering body as a warm tongue lapped t his cheeks softly, a soothing hand running through his grey hair, ‘It’s okay pup, I won’t let them hurt you anymore, we’ll take you some where safe’. N let out a soft whimper in gratefulness, weakly tilting his head to nuzzle into the motherly figure that had wrapped them around him. A strong hand landed on his shoulder, the overwhelming sent of power hitting his sense. An alpha, his brain told him as a deep voice spoke, ‘what did they do to you pup? Can you walk?’ N shook his head, whimpering as the mother like figure moved back. N moved his foot out from under the blanket, listening to the gasp of horror that came from the slightly smaller male. ‘I-its silver, and they...w-whipped my b-back with wolfsbane and silver....’  N whimpered softly as the Alpha bent down in front of him, slipping a hand under his knees gently, another cupping his neck gently. ‘Himchan get into the car and make Daehyun start it, we’re taking him home, tell Daehyun to call Leo and get the boys sent home, we need Youngjae’s medical skills let’s get moving. We wait too long and the silver will poison his blood stream’.

           The blonde male darted out of the room as the alpha carried N softly. His deep voice washing over the injured pup in his arm softly, ‘its okay pup, your new family will be so kind to you’. N could only whine softly as he was carried, his body feeling like led, head lolling back onto the strong bicep before being passed off into the thin arms again. A warm blanket was laid across the seat, warming the ice cold limbs of the young pup as he rested his head in the lap of the blonde. He smiled at N softly, a gentle hand brushing the hair out of his face as he gazed into the tinted yellow eyes that matched his own. ‘You...you’re like m-me’ N whispered softly, a hand reaching up to touch just under the others eyes. The blonde smile down at him softly, ‘I am. We’re submissives, we’re very rare and special but I’ll explain all of that once you’re all healed up. Until then rest. What’s your name pup?’. N felt the tension leave his body, the throbbing pain fading as he yawned softly.  A small on his palm had him cuddling into the blonde’s stomach, ‘N, my name’s N’. The hand was back in his hair, a soft rumble leaving his chest softly as the male spoke again, ‘I’m Himchan, and the scary Alpha is my mate, Yongguk. The masked one is Daehyun. There’s two more of us, use to be three but we lost one to the people who almost took you. We’ll look after you N; I’ve a lot to teach you before the annual gathering at the end of the month with the Starlight pack’. N just nodded softly. ‘Hey pup, why are you all alone out here anyway?’ Yongguk asked, heart melting at the tear that was running down Himchan’s cheek as his mate soothed the younger wolf. ‘I...I woke up alone in that cabin in the forest; I don’t remember ever belonging somewhere’ N muttered before sleep took over.

                                                                   *

                                         Three weeks had passed since Leo had heard from the B.A.P pack.  Yongguk had been in a rush when he’d arrived to pick up the youngest two of the pack, shoving them into the very back of the van. Leo had briefly been filled in on the situation. The humans had found a lone pup, not even at its three month mark yet but he was a submissive. Bile had risen in Leo’s throat though his face remained stoic; he knew what price people paid for a submissive and how they abused them. Yongguk had assured him that they’d gotten him in time but he’d been abused physically by the humans holding him captive and they needed to hurry before the silver slipped into the pup’s blood stream.  There was one image Leo couldn’t erase from his mind, something that had been haunting him for three weeks to the point of having Kris, the Alpha of Exotic call the gathering a week earlier. He couldn’t erase the image of the bright yellow eyes that had met his sleepily, grey bangs falling softly across them as the pup had blinked at him in a pained dazed. Leo had held back the growl that had tried to escape his lips, keeping his cool in front of the rest of his pack as he bid Yongguk a farewell. To say he was curious about the pup with grey hair was an understatement.

                   ‘You’re very tense for a gathering Hyung, it’s not like you’ Wonshik, Leo’s Beta commented as he came to stand beside him. Leo shrugged his shoulders softly, turning his gaze from the trees to their own youngest members who were rolling in the grass and playing chase with the baby’s of Exotics pack while Kris and Tao smiled warmly at the pups. ‘I’m just worried about the stray pup’ Leo reassured his Beta softly, ‘Himchan won’t deal with this well if he loses this pup’. Wonshik nodded in agreement, patting Leo’s shoulder softly, ‘After Jongup, no he won’t be okay if something bad happens to the stray. Everyone’s worried about him, submissive wolfs are prone to extreme human emotion and emotional scars’. Leo nodded softly, tearing his gazes from the playful puppies. His tinged red eyes landing back on the forest, nose twitching slightly as he caught the faint scent of Yongguk. Wonshik watched how his Alpha straightens to full height, but was unusually jumpy for their rather quiet Alpha. ‘Kris is getting ready to begin’ Jaehwan’s voice filled their ears and Leo couldn’t help the small smile as his Beta relaxed and immediately wrapped his arms around his mate. Sanghyuk and Hongbin followed soon, the best friends pushing each other as they fell in line.

            Leo watched as B.A.P emerged from the woods. His eyes scanning desperately for the yellow eyes that haunted him for the last three weeks, the ones that filled his dream. He could feel the wolf in him stirring as it waited, howling inside his head. Leo gritted his teeth a small growl escaping his lips as the faint scent hit him. A scent that made his mouth water and heart flutter. His mate. His mate was here among the clusters of packs. ‘I know the gathering is earlier than planned, but I know some people are extremely eager to find their mate or just to mingle with the other mated pairs, I wish everyone luck’ Kris smirked, aiming a sly glance at the jittery Leo who seemed to be shaking as Wonshik held his shoulder in a tight grip. ‘Leave me go Wonshik’ Leo growled, hands balling into fists as another growl left his lips, the scent was getting stronger and the urge to find and mark his mate was becoming unbearable. He needed to have them in his arms, to have their blood on the tip of his tongue as he bites him and claimed them as his. He needed that sense flooding his senses and arms around his, he needed someone that would whimper in submission and allow him to mark him. His eyes flashed red as he panted softly, Wonshik words washing over deaf ears as hands held him in place. His eyes scanned the area desperately as Jaehwan crouched down in front of their Alpha, taking one of his hands to stop Leo from piercing his own skin in his desperation. ‘I see someone has finally caught wind of their mate’ Yongguk announced excitedly as he and his pack came over to greet Starlight. Junhong immediately ran to tackle Sanghyuk in a hug as Youngjae nosed Daehyun’s neck softly. By now the scent was filling Leo, washing over him in droves and he knew where it was coming from. Just behind Yongguk Leo could see Himchan talking to someone, someone that was slightly shorter then Himchan so he couldn’t make out his features as a whine left Leo’s throat before he growled. He pooled all his strength and broke free of Wonshik’s hold, making his way towards the two males.

                      N whimpered, head tilted back as the scent overwhelmed him, filling him with warmth as Himchan held his hand, massaging the shaking muscles softly. ‘Hush pup, its okay. Hush’ Himchan whispered softly, he hadn’t expected N to find his mate at his very first gathering but by the way N was trembling and his eyes were glowing a bright yellow he knew N’s mate was never. ‘It smells so good...’ N whimpered, nose twitching, his’ senses not developed enough to pinpoint the location of his mate. All he knew was he was close, so close. Close enough to have N’s knees shaking as he whimpers. ‘I know it does and I know you’ll smell just as appetizing to your mate whoever they are’ Himchan smiled, going to kiss the pups head but a warning growl had him tensing. Himchan turned slowly, not wanting to anger whoever N’s mate was but his eyes widened as he met Leo’s crimson eyes. The Alpha of Starlight was trembling, lip curled back in a warning growl at Himchan’s closeness with the pup. Himchan stepped aside as Yongguk stepped in to grab him, growling his own warning towards the intoxicated alpha. N shivered as he felt eyes on him, tilting his head forward so his yellow eyes met bright crimson ones. A whimper left N’s lip as the Alpha stalked towards him, need in his eyes. Strong, warm hands encased N’s hips, pulling him into a firm chest as a soft growl left the Alpha’s lips. Leo couldn’t tear his eyes away from the creature in front of him. He was perfect. Everything about him screamed beautiful, his tanned skin, his ashy grey hair and those yellow eyes that had haunted him. ‘Mine’ Leo whispered softly, leaning in to bump his nose against the grey hair pups. The pup let out a shaky breath, baring his neck to the other, ‘Yours. Leo smiled, brushing his nose down the others cheek, loving how his mate shiver and whine softly as he nuzzled into his neck. N closed his eyes, letting the thousands of emotions and feeling swash over him as he felt Leo’s fangs graze the junction of his neck and shoulder before they dug in. N moaned softly as he wound his fingers into Leo red hair. Memories that N had long forgotten were dragged through the surface as Leo drew blood before over the wound softly. Memories of a human life that he’d been taken from and a name. A name that he knew his mate now knew a side effect of being claimed by an Alpha, your memories were theirs now. Warm breath cascaded over the bite mark as Leo kissed his neck softly before gazing up at him with eyes full of love. ‘Taekwoon, call me Taekwoon. And welcome home...Hakyeon’.

                                                                      *

                                 Hakyeon didn’t miss being a social butterfly, he didn’t miss the people that laughed at his jokes or ruffled his hair because he’d found something better. He’d found a family. A year on after the three months of being alone and learning all he needed to known from Himchan, Hakyeon sat in his bed, fluffy white sheets twisted into a make shift nest in front of him. Strong arms were wrapped around his waist as he sat between his mate’s legs. Hakyeon’s eyes fixed on the little bundles of fur that were sleeping soundly in the nest. Hakyeon shivered as he rested his hands over Taekwoons, a name only Hakyeon could call the Alpha of Starlight. Taekwoons tongue at his bare shoulder affectionately because Hakyeon was wearing Taekwoons old shirt and it was slipping of his shoulder. He whimpered submissively as he tilted his head, allowing Taekwoons lips to trace up his tanned skin as he leant back into him happily. ‘ Jung-hwa has your eyes, he’s going to be such a heartbreaker when he’s older and can change freely’ Taekwoon muttered, not wanting to take his lips off the sweet tasting skin of his mate. Hakyeon laughed softly, turning his head to kiss the crown of Taekwoons, ‘And Jun-hee is going to have your sculpted features, I can tell. He’s going to be strong like his father, even if he doesn’t become an Alpha’. Taekwoon smiled, lifted his head from Hakyeon’s neck, hand going to tilt Hakyeon’s chin so he could gaze into those bright yellow eyes that he loved so much. ‘You’re the best damn thing that’s ever happened to me Jung Hakyeon, I’m so lucky to have mated with such a rare person. You’ve brought so much happiness to me, to the pack and you’ve given me the best gift of all, you’ve given me two beautiful pups. I’ll never let you go because your mine and I will fight to the death for you if I have to Hakyeon, I’ll do anything for you’. Hakyeon smiled, letting the tears roll down his face as he pressed a soft kiss to his mate’s lips, ‘I’m glad I found my home’. Taekwoon smiled, a rare smile that no one but Hakyeon got, as he cuddled back into his mates warm body and reach around him to scratch behind the ears of his sleeping pups as the dreamt happily. He smiled knowing that someday they find their own mates, that someday they’d feel the joy that surged through his body anything Hakyeon was near. Taekwoon watched as Hakyeon detached himself from him sleepily, curling his lithe body around the pups, tongue darting out to clean them affectionately before settling down to sleep. Taekwoon covered them carefully, committing the image to memory, knowing that as long as he was here, as long as their pack and pups were here, Hakyeon would never feel the pain of loneliness again. ‘I’m glad you found home too’ and with that Taekwoon switched off the light, settling down beside his pups and mate, a smile gracing his lips as they all cuddled closer, seeking his warmth.