함께 잘 자 - Let's have a nice sleep

When He Sleeps

Chapter Three

함께 잘 자 Let's have a nice sleep

 

 

It is that time of the year where the earth is situated in an undesirable relative to the sun. The tropics would cheer due to the sun’s ray positioned away from them while the south would begin shoveling the snow off their front porch. It is a typical season for those in the north to look forward to. Many would be preparing for the incoming floods and typhoons, but EXO prepares it differently.

On this year where June approaches, kids are out to play, but so does the monsoon. And when the monsoon season arrives, nothing is ever peaceful in the dormitory.

 

 

“I repeat, nothing is ever peaceful during this period,” Jongin heard a sigh from Kyungsoo at his desk. Which is true, when the rain falls, do does everyone’s sanity.

 

 

Baekhyun’s mood would always turn sour and his face is plastered with an expression as dark as the sky beyond their walls. It didn’t help that Chanyeol would be in an exuberant mood each time and their clashing atmosphere would result in an argument. Baekhyun and Chanyeol would start arguing over the smallest things and Yixing turns emotionally depressed over the arguments that he is unable to help in.

Sehun would be hiding beneath the covers (because he hates the rain and it’s ability to frizz his hair) while Luhan would try to get him to come out. But because Sehun was adamant of hiding away from everyone, he would cry and whine about Luhan “manhandling” him into doing things that he did not want, which usually involves having dinner. Minseok had to be on constant alert next to Luhan so as to prevent the elder from “accidentally” ripping the covers into two just to get Sehun out of bed. Jongin swore he heard Minseok cussed for the first time when Luhan was shouting at Sehun.

Like everything else, Tao was afraid of loud thunders. Since young, he would hide in dark and soundproof areas to avoid hearing the claps of thunder roaring through the sky. As there were absolutely no soundproof rooms in the dormitory, he would be hiding in closets or under the beds claiming, “It’s much better than being out in the open where lightning can strike us!”

This irked Kris because he has to go to every room to find him for the same reason as what Luhan is doing to Sehun. Jongdae would tag along, knowing better to find the crying younger than to sit and hear Baekhyun yell at Chanyeol for everything.

Kyungsoo would get irritated easily when it rains and starts bullying everyone when he is disturbed. To play safe, he would lock himself in his room to read or catch up with his English, or Chinese, studies. Jongin would sleep in the same room as Kyungsoo, because Kyungsoo knows the best method of calm the both of them down.

Joonmyeon would try his best to reduce the tension in the dormitory, hopping around to aid anyone who needs help. But everything crumbles to pieces when Baekhyun ends up yelling at up for “helping too much for your own good.”

 

 

This week was no different – Baekhyun screaming at everyone, Chanyeol breaking another set of plates (and Jongin saw the fury in Kyungsoo’s eyes), Luhan shouting at Sehun while the younger cries, Tao crying when another roar of thunder came and Jongdae trying to calm him down.

 

“I hardly doubt we could get anything done. At this rate, the whole dormitory will collapse due to these kids destroying everything in sight,” Kyungsoo sighed as he glanced out of the rain, observing the skies darkening.

Jongin nodded, yawning before replying, “is that why you haven’t been cooking these days? Because Chanyeol has broken enough stuff?”

He heard a low chuckle and a sound of the curtains drawn close and Kyungsoo patted his head and replied, “yeah”. Jongin felt his eyes growing heavier by the second, finally shutting itself not forgetting to hear Kyungsoo’s comment on how by the time the monsoon is over, he would be able to give Kris a run for his money.

 

 

Joonmyeon was tired. No, he was exhausted. He was exhausted from trying to settle all the tensions that had accumulated over the week.

 

Chanyeol wouldn’t stop being loud and irritating Baekhyun with his volume. He just broke another set of Chinese plates, evoking more scolding from Baekhyun and Luhan, who had enough of trying to pry a crying Sehun from the bed.

This is because for the past week, Luhan couldn’t get that “little out of bed” even when there were three people surrounding the youngest, prying his hands and feet off the bedpost. The little er decided to be a genius by biting on the bed sheet, frizzed up hair sticking out in awkward places, as the sheet was tugged out of the bedframe. Minseok had to run back to fix the mess, letting go of Sehun’s feet, allowing the younger to run to another bedroom.

 

In which, this bedroom did not help much at all. It was a terribly small bedroom which only occupants were Minseok himself. Since the monsoon season had arrived, Minseok had to sleep in the living room because Tao was temporarily living in his room under his bed. And now, not only are the two maknaes there, so was Kris, Jongdae, Luhan, Joonmyeon and himself, all trying to get the two out.

Kris’ clothing was in a mess and he pushed his hair back, thinking of a plan to get the two out from under the bed and face their fears.

Apparently, they were clinging for their lives on the bed frame. Joonmyeon heard the two knock their heads into each other when the thunder sent a loud roar, before they had resulted into pits of a crying mess.

 

He was exhausted, terribly exhausted. He couldn’t find a proper word to describe his condition (“피군해. 맞아요. 너무 피군하고 아직 파람을 못 끝 났어” Tired. Right. I’m so tired even before the typhoon ends).

He retreated to Kyungsoo’s room, where no one was willing to enter out of fear, and fell onto Kyungsoo’s bed. Kyungsoo nodded in his direction, turning the table lamp lights away from the elder and went back to reading. Joonmyeon noticed that he was reading an English book, ‘Roald Dahl’ it stated. He shrugged because he didn’t know what Roald Dahl was, and he turned towards the already sleeping form beside him.

 

He has never seen Jongin sleep before even though the younger did (see Joonmyeon sleep). He knew Jongin enjoyed hugging something to sleep, he eyed the poor blanket that was scrunched up tightly in the younger’s fists. He laughed out loud before covering his mouth; he liked the fact that Jongin is sleeping peacefully and soundly like a baby. At the sudden loudness, Jongin’s eyes pried open, meeting to the warm smile of his guardian. He pushed his blanket away and clung onto Joonmyeon, arms wrapped around her waist.

 

Joonmyeon smiled at that action and hugged Jongin back, allowing both of them to fall asleep as Jongin’s leg was draped over the elder’s body. Joonmyeon tucked Jongin’s head under his chin, breathing in his scent before closing his eyes.

Kyungsoo observed the event that had unfolded in front of him. He slowly placed his book down, switching off the lights and turning the piano piece by Yiruma louder before crawling onto the bed, wrapping his arms around Joonmyeon from the back. The three was lulled into a quiet and serene sleep, drowning out the catastrophe behind the closed door.

 

It was the first time in any monsoon season, a smile was formed on Kyungsoo’s face. It was the same smile that appeared on Jongin’s face as he curled in to his hyung: he finally did have his sleep, and it was a willing one.

 

 

The storm’s passing was a blessing in disguise, the whole EXO dormitory managed to calm down and have a proper meal. Even though they had to order food, they were able to get everyone down at the table to eat together. Well, almost everyone.

 

When Minseok entered their room that night, his heart warmed at the sight. He has seen the closeness between Luhan and Lay before, even Sehun and Tao. However this was a different sight that he has observed.

He knew that Jongin and Kyungsoo had slept together during their trainee years, but to see Joonmyeon between the two was a rare sight, considering Joonmyeon do not enjoy sleeping with other people.

The youngers’ legs were wrapped around Joonmyeon, at the hips and at the legs. All three’s legs intertwined among each other while arms are lost in the most in the mess that they had created during their sleep. Joonmyeon’s arms were on either of their head or waist, holding them close in their sleep.

 

Minseok quietly covered them both with the blanket abandoned by Jongin’s legs, patting all three of them on their heads before turning the music down and tiptoeing out of the room. “Hey Kris, I think you should just order some naengmyeon and mandu for them.” A short silence, a door opening. Minseok peeked in and saw a small smile on Joonmyeon’s face, “On second thought, order another chicken for Jongin too.”

 

 

Jongin woke up the following morning, holding onto Kyungsoo who was deeply sound asleep. A soft snore was heard emitting from his mouth and Jongin proceed to put his finger beneath his hyung’s nose, stopping him from snoring. He giggled at the reaction, slowly removing the elder’s arm around this neck and gently placing on his chest. He proceeds to roll off the bed, dropping on the floor with grace and elegance. Covering Kyungsoo with the blanket, he walked out of the room.

It was typical of Joonmyeon to disappear first thing in the morning for schedule arrangements. But never before did Jongin was greeted with the sign of Joonmyeon eating last night’s chicken dinner and watching ‘Hello Counselor’ on KBS.

Joonmyeon spotted Jongin at the doorway and waved him over, patting the seat next to him with his fingers that weren’t oiled with chicken grease.

With that, the whole of EXO woke up to the sound of laughter and more chicken delivery. Thank goodness that the monsoon season was over, else everyone has to settle with a y Baekhyun who had his chicken stolen by Joonmyeon.