Me & Him

Me & Him

24th December 2013

              Ahh… Christmas Eve. Seriously can’t wait to meet all of my cousins and what most important is that I’m gonna meet my parents. Hurray! It’s Christmas time!

11th September 1994

                The bell rang, indicated that the school session is over. I quickly grabbed my BMX bike that was parked under the shady tree and hurriedly cycled towards my home. Home sweet home! The school session starts at the early of the morning –around 7.30 am until 3.45 pm. Heol… what a long day at school. My most favourite time is definitely 3.45 pm because that is the time when the hectic long sessons end. *sigh*relief* It’s not that I’m really interested to study by the way. Plus I am absolutely not one of the smartass students too. And to add up, almost everyday I get scolded by the teachers. Follow the rules, blablabla. Urg! What a headache.

 

“Harabeoji (grandpa), who’s parked that car outside of our house?”

“Oh, that is my baptized son, Lee Meokbin. He comes all the way from Busan and that is his son, Lee Howon. Howon will be staying with us while his parents go to the abroad for some personel matters.”

19th September 1994

                Today is the first day Howon or so-called George being the student of my ‘beloved’ school, Cheonha Middle School. All of my friends were quite shocked when they found that I go to school with a guy. And not to forget that he’s quite chubby actually. I took him to the principal’s office for registration. Ah, he’s sitting beside me. Great *include sarcasm PLEASE!*. So, he must be watching all of my actions. Argh! That means I can’t sleep in the class anymore. The teachers and not to forget all of my lovely friends keep teasing me for having a relationship with him. While George just smiled when he hears it. Huh! That is definitely did not help at all.

8th October 1994

“Eunchan why did you always calls me George?”

“Just because… I feel to do so. Why? Can’t I?”

                Actually I didn’t want to tell him the real thing. I’m sure that he would get mad when I tell him the truth. The actual truth is that it suddenly popped out in my mind to call him like that. I got the inspiration by his looks and it kinda reminds me of George from one of the cartoon that I saw in the tv. George of the Jungle? I guess that is the title of that show.

 

“But I don’t really like that name. If you don’t like calling me Howon, then you can call me Hoya. I’m fine with it. Can’t you?”

“Yeah… yeah… alright, Lee Howon or whatever Hoya-sshi.”

5th December 1994

“Just now I saw that you only played inside the class. Seems like you are not interested in studying. Don’t you have any dream?”

“Hey, everybody in this world has their own ambition. It’s only a matter of small or big only. Who doesn’t have any dream? Even a drug addict too has his own mission to achieve!”

“Ermm, so you’re aware of it. So, Eunchan don’t you want to achieve it? You have to show some effort.”

“I’m on my way for it.”

“Do you think it’s enough? I mean the effort that you put in it? By the way, I wanna ask what is your real ambition?”

“I want to be a doctor who specialized in women’s disorders.”

“Oh, Gynaecologist. Not bad. When I grow up I want to be a Hematologist, a doctor who specialized and expert about blood.”

“Duuhh… I didn’t even ask about your ambition. Why bother to tell me?”

“Just because… I feel to do so. Why? Can’t I?”

                     Dejavu…

30th January 1995

“I just want to tell you. No offense okay. But I think that you’re a bit too tough for a girl. Why don’t you try to be feminine just like the others. Not too strong and tough. After this, please throw away your cap and instead change it to a hairclip, maybe?”

“Yah! This is who I am! And since when you being so busybody about my personal life?”

“I just wanna give you an advice. I really love to look at the others girls who has long silky hair, soft. In short, they are very ladylike. And you Eunchan, till when you’re going to keep this up? Yah, Jung Eunji-sshi, just remember at least to think about your future. And I don’t want to call you Eunchan anymore instead I’m going to call you Eunji. Emm… this seems suits with you actually. Why must you change it?”

“Don’t you dare to change my name! Eunchan is Eunchan!”

“I don’t care. Mehrong~~ Eunji-ah, let’s race who gets home first!”

 

13th March 1995       

                  Day by day and I started to understand George a bit more. For George, he would feel really uneasy if he fails in the exam. He always feels guilty towards his parents who are hoping for his success. Every efforts that he did until today is only to obtain the recognition from his parents.

                One day, I saw George inside the church. He sat at there for quite some time while clasping both of his hands. His eyes were closed while his lips uttered some words that I could not hear. I secretly followed his trail on the way back to our harabeoji’s house. George went inside his room and swiftly took out a mathematics book and solved the problems. Slowly the tears came out from his eyes and he secretly wiped the tears away and kept doing the calculation.

                I really don’t know why but at that time… there was like something stabbed my heart. Something that I can’t even interpret with words. Oh, God. What is this? Are you showing me the road to success? It might sounds so unrealistic and ridiculous but I swear! At that moment I finally realized that I need to get out from my own comfort shell.

                George’s presence really has brought thousands of meanings in my life. George has changed my life’s perception and now, books are my best friends. But of course, after my best buddy George Lee.  All of my friends were quite shocked with my drastic changes. I am not the old Eunchan. I’m the new Eunchan who has her own life destination that needs to be completed.

 

1st October 1995

                A year passed since I’ve known this amazing friend of mine who is no other than George Lee. Kekeke… joking. Oh, today is the Chuseok Day or in English it is more known as Thanksgiving Day.

                A year is like a month. And a month is like a week. And a week is like a day. Yeah… that is how I feel. I feel like it’s only yesterday since I get to know Lee Howon. George’s parents just came back to their motherland, South Korea yesterday. I seriously feels like I wanna cry but since I have an ego and macho to control, I didn’t let the tears roll down to my cheeks. Because I’m a masculine tomboy! A boy doesn’t cry because of that simple matter.

                George already left harabeoji’s house and I’m here alone without someone that I used to hate long time ago. I thought the person that I labelled as poison is actually the honey that shines up my life. I will always remember his last words to me.

“Life is not a race, but we still continue the chase and try to be an ace. It’s time to get out of this maze and truly live with grace.”

 

25TH December 2013

                Since that day, I never met George anymore. Our relationship is like being dragged away by the wind. Korean SAT exam started. I did my best for all of the people that put their faith on me especially George. I wouldn’t be as successful as I am now without a person named Lee Howon.  Without Howon, maybe I can’t even be the alumni of Royal College of Surgeon, Ireland and far from near to be a Gynaecologist.

                My thoughts were brought back to reality when the door being knocked from outside. My mom called me to go outside. Oh, no wonder it’s Christmas. So, there are some relatives that come to visit us. I comb my hair and clipped a hair pin on the left side. As I made my way towards the living room, I was caught off guard. Is this a dream, hallucination or reality? Is he really my guest? He doesn’t look like that I used to know few years ago. Totally different. He’s so handsome, stylish and smart. But those eyes… they are still the same. Two pairs of eyes that I longed to see.

“Doctor Jung Eunji.”

“Yes, it’s me and you…”

                He nodded his head and smiled.