Chapter 3

Shards of Dawn

U.

The villain of the hour.

Renowned drug lord and the backing for almost all of the crime in Seoul for the past two years. No one had ever seen his face. No one had any idea who he was. Everyone the police had ever managed to snag had never seen U in person. 

The Shadow King. 

The lead they had was arguably slim. They didn't actually have his location. They had his IP address, and the means to locate him, but all their efforts had been thwarted thusfar by computer viruses and technical difficulties.

There was a last resort. Jinyoung's beloved younger sister, Ji-Eun. A skilled hacker, she could get her hands on any information, faster than anyone else in the city. Ji-Eun agreed readily to help, her eyes gleaming and her short messy hair standing nearly standing up in excitement. 

Of course, she succeeded. 

U had been hiding out in a large building held under the name of Lee Jong Suk, slightly beyond the reaches of Hongdae. He had been directly there, within the police's reach with only a twenty minute subway ride between them. They would have to stake the place out, but now was a time for celebration.

Jinyoung surprised himself and asked Lizzy to dinner. His palms sweating and biting his lip, he had invited her to a nice traditional place near his home. She had agreed, but with the caveat that he bring his sister (since after all, this was all due to her), and she would bring her brother Seung Ho as well. 

He was disappointed. 

This was supposed to be romantic, but his sister ended up dating that boy Seung Ho instead. 

Their eyes had met over plates and rising and twisting steam and they blushed and turned away at the same instant. They glanced towards each other and then away. When Ji-Eun finally put the poor boy out of his misery and started a conversation, he was already completely smitten. 

They exchanged numbers and met each other at a playground that night. Sitting together on the swings, they had chatted for hours about nothing and everything. In a fit of romanticism Seung Ho grabbed one of the chains Ji-Eun's seat was supported by and swung her in for a light kiss. 

She fluttered her eyes closed and opened them again. She pulled away and smoothed down one of his escaping locks of hair. "This is all going too fast." She grinned. "But I love it."

 

+~~~+