Chapter 1

Shards of Dawn

BEEP BEEP BEEP

The heart monitor droned on in the background. Jinyoung dragged his feet across the wet grass, pieces of grass desperately clinging to his shoes. One step. Two. Hadn't he just been in a hospital? But no, the rain was beating down on his head as the heavens opened up and pounded down onto the parched earth below. Where was that noise coming from? That persistent beating continued to shadow the beating of his own heart. His heartbeat grew louder and swelled into his throat as his vision blurred in and out. In and out. His body moved of its own accord. His thoughts wandered elsewhere, meandering the foggy recesses of memory and regret. 

He remembered now. He was in a graveyard. 

Was he in a memory? Or was this a premonition?

As his thoughts returned to him, he found himself in front of a clean white tombstone. The inscription was illegible to him. He rested his hand onto the cool stone and a warmth spread through his body. This was familiar. Something important that had already happened, or was to happen soon. 

A light hand brushed against his shoulder, and his eyes opened wide as the universe swept before him.

For a moment, he remembered.

+~~~+