My Rose

Always Bring Me Flowers

 

 
Onew and Minho were your typical high school sweethearts. Always hanging on each other, hugging, kissing, laughing, all the usual sappy, Lovey-Dovey things. They had been together for over a year now, through thick and thin, to hell and back again god knows how many times. But no matter what they always wound up in each others arms again. 
 
This was Onews last year of high school, while Minho still had two left before he graduated. The age difference had no effect on them what so ever. Onew was so young at heart and carefree, while Minho seemed to take on the mature, manly role. That worked just fine for them. Whenever Onew was stressed about graduating or anything at all, Minho was there to hold him in his arms, kiss him, and tell him that it was okay. 
 
They had been doing that since they were friends, up until they realized that friendship wasn't what this was anymore, then it got even better. The kisses began, the deep, passionate kisses that they shared, and the intimate moments that happened late at night. All of those things were more than either of them could have asked for. 
 
Graduation had passed and Onew was enrolled in a collage that he would start at the end of a short summer break. He was spending as much time as he could with his younger lover. They were inseparable. Minho was over at Onews house every day, and they would take turns at who's house they spent the night at. They went out almost every day and shared every second glued together, no matter what the time, day, weather, or what anyone said. They were in love and that was all they cared about. 
 
Minho, however, began to feel saddened as summer was coming to a close. His lover would soon be far away, in another city, with a new, busy schedule and a new life, while stayed exactly the same way. The last week of summer they grew sad together, trying to cheer each other up with gifts and all sorts of surprises. Onew gave Minho a photo of them together, along with a necklace and a ton of kisses. Minho in return have Onew an album full of their photos from their early friendship, up till that day, along with couple rings. It was an emotional moment for both of them as they slipped the rings on this fingers, lacing their fingers together afterwards, and kissing for as long as they could. 
 
The last day of summer was now here and they as usual spent it together. Minho planned a grand dinner and night at a hotel where they made love all night long, letting the world know of their passion and lust. Early in the morning Minho took care of his weakened lover as normal, helping him dress and bathe, giving him more and more kisses as the morning went on. They had returned to Onews home where his parents were, everyone saying goodbye.  Onew and Minho stared into each others teary eyes, lacing their fingers together, hearts pounding. This moment was goodbye. After Onew left, he wouldn't be able to be back until Christmas. That was only a few months, but for them it was forever. Minho reached his other hand up and cupped Onews cheek, pulling him closer and connecting their lips.
 
They were locked together in hugs and kisses for about an hour before any words were spoken. Their voices were shaking and weak, themed by tears and cries. Onew had never seen Minho this upset before in hi life. It was heartbreaking. He never wanted to see his lover like this. No one would. Minho bit his lip before Onews cheek and speaking softly. 
 
"My one.. And only Love... " he began, pausing to wipe Onews eyes and clear his throat. "You will always.. Always.. Always be with me no matter how far away you are, I promise..." He closed the gap between them again, kissing away Onews tears and then his lips. 
 
Onew couldn't control the tears coming out of his eyes anymore, they wouldn't stop no matter what effort he put forth. He just listened to Minho's words and nodded once, letting the other try to take care of him like he always did. It was working like usual too, Minho's sweet, deep voice calmed him a little. Slowly Onew pulled back from the others lips and sniffled. 
 
"Minho.... I promise that you'll always be on my mind no matter what.... But I'll work hard and do my best for you... And I'll.... Call or text you as often as I can...and come visit as much as I can.." His voice was calm and soft, deeper from the sadness clouding his voice. 
 
Minho smiled slightly and nodded, continuing to cup his lovers cheeks, thumbing away the tears that rolled down his cheeks. "And I'll come up and visit you as much as I can..."
 
 
Onew quickly smiled and cut him off. "And  You'll always bring me flowers..." He recalled that every time they were apart for a long period of time, Minho would come with flowers in hand.
 
 
Minho nodded again and kissed Onew deeply. "I will...  I always will, my love..." 
 
They locked lips in a deep, heated kiss for a long while, holding each other tightly, never wanting to let go. With most reluctance and sorrow the two lovers lips parted at last. They gave each other another loving gaze and slowly let go of each others hands. Onew got in his car that was already loaded up with all of his things, and slowly drove away as Minho stood stone still, watching the car vanish out of his sight. 
 
 
The final gaze they shared meant the world to both of them. That was how they would remember each other until they met again, months from then. 
Onew called Minho once he had reached the school, and he sent text messaged every day. But soon his schedule grew more dense and his time decreased. He had to get a job as well to keep up with payments for his dorm and supplies. Minho had gone almost a week without hearing anything out of the one he held most dear. 
 
He was a complete wreck. Every second of his day he thought of Onew. What if something had happened? What if he wanted to break up? What was going on? Did he upset him somehow? All these questions went through his head, unanswered. He couldn't focus on his own schoolwork anymore. Back at home he checked the news every day In case something were to come up. 
 
It was Friday night and he the news as usual, sitting close to the tv screen, nervous, and scared. He sighed in relief as the news casters went over the weather and other minor things. Nothing bad, he thought. Just as he was about to reach for the remote to turn off the tv, a new report came through. A picture of Seoul University popped up on the screen and Minho's eyes widened. The news casters voice was quick and shocked sounding as she read off the incident. 
 
"Freshman student at Seoul University, Lee Jinki, was found Dead in his dorm room by his room mate this evening. Medical teams are currently working on identifying cause of death. We give out much remorse to the family and loved ones." 
 
As she spoke they showed Onews new school picture that was taken just a few days before. He was smiling and happy, like he always was. Minho couldn't believe this. This was some sick joke. Onew wasn't dead. There was no way. He couldn't be. But surely the report repeated itself soon after on another news station. Minho's chest was right and heavy, eyes stinging and red. Tears fell down his cheeks as he let out loud wails of pain and sorrow. The only person that he had ever loved, was gone. 
 
He left the news on in some hopes that the body would be reidentified as someone else. He prayed it would be someone else. He found himself in the kitchen, slamming down bottles of soju and other liquors that were in the house. Hours later he passed out on the kitchen floor in a pool of tears and spilled alcohol. The morning was just as bad. He got sick, and that was the light side of it. Ten minutes after waking up the phone rang. It was Onews parents. 
 
They were crying hysterically as they tried to speak, telling Minho what had happened to Onew. They police had come to them earlier with a full report. Onew had passed away for cardiac arrest when no one else was near him. A sudden, fatal heart attach that came on without warning took his lovers life. The worst thing was that they found his body next to the photo album Minho had given him. He was looking at it before he died. 
 
More guilt and grief struck through Minho like a bullet. He dropped the phone and curled up as he wailed. He hasn't seen Onew since the day he left. He never have him any flowers. For days Minho stayed quiet and locked away, thinking about everything that they had been through. He found himself the ring on his finger, crying late at night. The next morning was Onews funeral. 
 
Minho hardly slept at all, but in the morning he took his time to look his absolute best. Dressed in his, and Onews, favorite suit and tie combination, he headed out to get the best flowers that he could find. With a large and extravagant bouquet in hand Minho and his family drive in silence to the service at the church. Everyone there was crying silently as the service went on. Afterwards was the dreaded procession line drive to the cemetery. 
 
Minho was crying hard as he looked down at the flowers in his hands, Onews words ringing through his head. "And you'll always bring me flowers" 
 
He would. From now on he would always bring him flowers. No matter what he would keep his promise. It would be a long time unroll they saw each other again, and Minho would bring him flowers until they met once again.  The cars all stopped and the casket that his lover was in was placed open by the dug out grave. Minho was the third person up to the casket, after Onews parents. 
 
He peered inside with swollen, red eyes, letting them soften as they graced the limp form of his lover. He was dressed in his favorite suit and tie as well, a yellow rose in his pocket. Minho gave a weak, broken smile and reached for one red rose from the bouquet he was holding, plucking it out and placing it next to the yellow one. "A red Rose for my love..." He whispered before turning away, closing his eyes and letting his tears fall. 
 
After a prayer and a speech from Onews parents, Minho stood up next to the casket, looking down at his lover once more, then to all the other mourners. He cleared his throat again and looked down at the floor. 
 
"Lee Jinki.... Was not my best friend.... He was my Love... My only love.. I feel that from now on.. I can never love another human like I loved him.... I promised him when I visited I'd bring him flowers... And from now on..I will.  No matter the weather, day, or what anyone says... Just what we said.. About us being together..... I am a man of my word... And I will love Lee Jinki forever.." His voice was deep and clouded with sadness as he spoke, but his words came out strong and full of passion. He meant what he said, he always did. 
 
He stood next to Onews parents as the casket was closed and lowered into the ground. He watched through his puffy eyes and sniffled now and then, never letting another noise or sign of weakness pass over him. Onew always loved his strong he was. When the casket was no longer visible Minho crouched next to the fresh pile of earth and set down the bouquet carefully on it. He let his tears fall into the earth pile as he whispered out sweet words. 
 
"I'll always bring you flowers, my beautiful Rose, Onew... Always." 
 
 
 
Minho indeed was a man of his word. Every single day he would take a new bouquet to his lovers grave. He would lay the flowers down on the grave, and use a cloth to gently wipe off the gravestone. He had also set out a framed picture of them from their Prom, their best picture together, Onew dressed in the suit that he was buried in. Minho kissed the picture gently and let his long fingers run over Onew in the picture as his tears fell. "I love you, my beautiful, perfect rose, Onew.... A new flower..for every day we're apart.. My love... We'll meet again...." 
 
Every day Minho would repeat this routine, saying new, loving words to the picture of his love. The last words they spoke together running through his head every single time. "Always bring me flowers" and that was just what Minho did.