B Side Track No. 1 - Cinderella

Semi-Charmed Life

The school rules include and state this very clearly: You are not allowed to go to clubs, bars, love hotels and other establishments that are deem to ruin your reputation and of the school as a whole.

But she was never the model student anyway and at least, she’s not the rebel either. Breaking school rules from time to time is fun, she convinced herself. Her friends are convincing her as well. They’re up to something.

“Let’s just go for tonight, Sooyeon. They say the streets of Seoul are prettier at night,” one of her friends told her.

“But what if the teachers find out? We can’t afford not to graduate just because ‘the streets of Seoul are prettier at night’,” Sooyeon quoted her friend’s last words.

“Aye.” Her friend held both of her arms. “We’ll just try something we haven’t done before. No alcohols, I promise!”

Sooyeon gave her friends a long look. They were grinning and smiling at her while nodding continuously and finally, Sooyeon gave them her ‘yes’.

--

As soon as she got home, she busied herself looking for appropriate clothes for their little escapade tonight. She heaved a long sigh as she recalls the ‘guidelines’ her friends told her about her outfit for the night.

Sooyeon, you should wear something very lady-like. Don’t wear something that’ll obviously reveal our age, okay? Also, you should put on a little make-up at least. Ah no. Wear heavy make-up, okay? Use red lipstick. Wear high heels too. You hear me? You want to graduate, right? Right?

She was on the verge of not going. Frustrated, she sat down at her bed and shuffled her hair.

“Argh!”

Hey, Sooyeon do you know what? We’re planning to go out one of these nights. Have you heard anything from our classmates? They said it was awesome. And do you know what? They say there are a lot of handsome band members. Aye. You want to go there too, I know.

She doesn’t really care about handsome band members but she’s curious of hearing songs from indie bands. Okay. Maybe she lied. She did care about handsome dudes but only a little, she insists. That she remembered about her desire to listen to indie music didn’t help her. She got up from her bed and tried to dress according to her friends guidelines.

Walk. Walk. Stop. Left. Right. Walk. Walk. Stop. Breathes. Left. Right.

It’s not yet that late at night and her parents are still awake. She knew they’ll find out about it sooner or later but she prays that she can at least go out to see the pretty streets of Seoul at night.

Walk. Walk. Stop. Opens the door quietly. Walks out. Shuts the door close.

And she’s finally out of the house. How she managed to do that is still a question but she chose not to bother. She breathes in the air. Oh how the air at night smells so good. She excitedly hopped on the taxi. This is it.

She found out that she was the last to arrive at their meeting place. All of her friends did make an effort for this. They didn’t hide their displease as they gave Sooyeon a grimace. She immediately bowed and said sorry while adding a few excuse.

“Okay, okay. Fine. I understand,” her friend said coolly. Her friend scanned Sooyeon from head to toe before letting out a satisfied smile. “Thank you for meeting the guidelines. Let’s go!”

She was really uncomfortable all throughout their little escapade. Her friends constantly reminded her, no Sooyeon act confident if you’re shy they might suspect us as high school students chest out Sooyeon chin up Sooyeon no no no don’t massage your feet.

Her friends told her that there will be bands but much to her disappointment, all she saw was people dancing with y music on the background. She inwardly rolled her eyes and hugged her coat closer to her body. One by one, her friends started joining the dance floor. Oh dear god, she thought to herself. Who would suspect them as high schoolers if they’re like this anyway? Before she completely become alone in the club they were in, she told her friend that she’ll be going home already. She frowned as she exits the bar. At least she expected them to stop her. Oh well.

Walk. Walk. Stop. Look around. Walk. Walk. Stop. Look around. Walk. Walk. Walk. Stop.

Stop.

Stop.

Smile.

She was about to alight a taxi but she closed the door not forgetting to say sorry to the old driver. She doesn’t know why but the sound of an actual band performing excited her. She ran towards the place where the sound is coming from. Now she hates her friends for telling her to wear high heels. She so wanted to shove the people wearing jacket, shirt, pants and sneakers to her friends’ faces. She even thought that they looked like they’re trying hard to look like adult but oh well; she’ll just deal with that later.

The entrance to the club or bar or live house or whatever they call that is unique, she pointed out. Instead of directly entering it, she has to go down for it was located underground. She could hear cheers from the people below and it excited her even more. As soon as she reached the place, she noticed how small the place was. Sooyeon is really bad at estimating but maybe they could trust her if she said there are not a hundred people in there. Maybe 50? But she doesn’t care. At least it’s not crowded.

Don’t judge her but she almost laughed while looking at the band that is performing. Handsome band members. Oh how Sooyeon put so much effort not to laugh upon remembering her friends’ dreamy faces. But hey, she doesn’t really care about their faces anymore now. She doesn’t care if she joins in the crowd. After all, the attention’s not in her but in the band performing.

She blended with the crowd (if you can even call that a crowd). She finds the lyrics funny. It was as if they just put on anything they could think of.

So this is how it’s like. Interesting.

The band Sooyeon first saw performing had announced that it’ll be their last song. She could see some of the people already leaving the place but Sooyeon decided to stay together with more than half of the original people inside. As they finished the song, all of them clapped with some loud cheering. When the band started keeping their instruments, Sooyeon set herself to go home. After all, it’s getting late already. She had already turned her back when the vocalist of the band, whose name she learned is The Lost Island, announced that there will be another band performing. She paused from her tracks and considered listening to the next performing band first before going. Perhaps a song or two, then she’ll go home. It wasn’t that hard to get on the place near the stage but she didn’t anyway. She thought it’d be easier to move out if she’s at the back.

She saw a few guys fixing things in the stage and one by one, she saw girls coming up to the stage. Handsome band members. She remembered once more while laughing at the back of her mind. She smiled though. She’d like to hear an all-girl band.

The seem-to-be vocalist tapped the microphone first to check if it’s working. She looked at her band mates and they gave her an encouraging nod. She looked back at the audience, inhaled deeply and smiled.

“Good evening everyone!” the vocalist almost shouted.

Sooyeon observed the band in front of her. They all look like they’re still in high school like her. But then again, how did they manage to perform in such a place? Does their school allow this? Or maybe, they’re no longer high school. She can be wrong anyway.

“Ah, how are you? Are you alright?”

The vocalist is obviously trying to hype up the people left in the bar. While she’s doing so, her band mates are busy adjusting a few things with their instruments.

“Tonight is the first time we’ll be performing in front of unknown people,” she said shyly. “We’ll try our best to give you a wonderful show!”

She looked at her band mates and maybe, they counted before they bowed altogether and said, “Hello, we are Fake Red.”

Fake Red. Sooyeon repeated the band’s name to herself. Now, she’s curious. Are their songs similar to the previous band? Will their song lyrics contain instructions on how to make sausage? Or maybe why does the teacher shouts at them everyday? Sooyeon wanted to know how they are different from the other band.

Music started soft.

“Our first song,” the vocalist said. “Just Another Yesterday.”

 

I can hear you calling me from afar

My heart cannot take it anymore so I pretended I can’t

In this empty and lonely space on earth

I silently weep

 

Sooyeon was then sure that they’re different. She smiled. She should’ve gone nearer the stage, she regrets.

 

You who made a lot of promises

You who said you will stay with me

All of those words you said are empty

Is it that easy?

Am I that easy?

 

I still recall everything clearly

The memories of your betrayal

Why can’t I forget it?

Why can’t I forget you?

It keeps on replaying in my head

Even the sadness of yesterday repeas itself today

 

Even before Sooyeon realized it, she had stepped closer to the band although not the nearest from the small stage. She is cheering as well. This is a different side of her, maybe.

 

Stay where you are and keep your mouth close

I am so lost right now so stop calling me

Words like I still love you and I’m sorry

I know everything’s a lie now

 

The vocalist stopped singing to let her band mates shine while using their instruments. Sooyeon looked at them and cannot help but be amazed. She made an eye contact with the lead guitarist, if she is right. Sooyeon felt frightened though. The guitarist looks intimidating. She immediately averted her eyes to look at the bassist. She had observed that their bassist is pretty since the moment she stood in the small stage. Sooyeon admits that the bassist is for she never held back compliments for other people. And she shared another eye contact, this time with the bassist. Unlike the lead guitarist, the bassist gave her a smile. Sooyeon smiled too but the bassist missed it for she focused on her instrument again.

 

I am trying to move on but I can’t

Today is just another yesterday

 

I still recall everything clearly

The memories of your betrayal

Why can’t I forget it?

Why can’t I forget you?

It keeps on replaying in my head

Even the sadness of yesterday repeats itself today

 

The sadness of yesterday repeats itself today


The drummer ended the song and everyone was cheering and clapping. Smiles on the band’s faces were seen. Sooyeon could hear people next to her saying that they’re not bad for newbies. It is exciting her more. She’d like to stay until they finish performing but that was cut when she felt her phone vibrating in her pocket. She sighed before moving backwards. She’s going to answer the phone call but not inside the place she’s in. She rejected it first. Looking at Fake Red whose about to start another song, Sooyeon frowned.

She checked the time and found it it’s already nearing midnight. She laughed bitterly at how the situation felt like she’s Cinderella who needs to get out of the palace before 12 midnight. She took one last long look at the band before going out.

--

The next morning, she found out her friends got caught and they were subjected to some disciplinary actions. Sooyeon could only be thankful her friends didn’t spill her involvement.

“I am so not going back to that place before graduation. Oh my god, can you see the humiliation I got?” complains one of Sooyeon’s friends.

“That’s okay, Hye Rin-ah. You get to make out with a hot guy that night anyway. Did you get his number?”

Sooyeon’s friends talked about their experiences that night in which Sooyeon has no knowledge of.

“Yah, Sooyeon-ah. You shouldn’t have gone home that early. You missed a lot.”

Sooyeon smiled. They’re wrong. She got the experience she’s looking for.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


[A/N:] Did you even read this update? The story is going on a slow phase, I know. I'm not happy with that either but then again... yeah. Whatever. And yes, this a side chapter. Feel free to point out errors or whatsoever but sorry for those in advance. Thanks for reading! Until my next update, please take care. ^^