A shot of soju

~ The Days Are Long and Filled With Pain ~

You have one new message and two old messages /beep/: Hey, Are you drunk again? Listen Yi Xing… It’s over between us for the past 3 weeks. Don’t call me anymore, please. I’m sorry, take care. 

At those words, the man veiled under the darkness of the room bites his bottom lip whilst pacing back and forth in anxiousness. The desolate man, Yi Xing, blankly stares at the green blinking light on his answering machine and sighs to himself. He clicks the repeat button again and concentrates on the static voice coming out from the almost battered black machine. And as if it was speaking to him, he answers back. 

Hey, Are you drunk again?

Yes.

Listen Yi Xing…

“I’m listening.”

It’s over between us for the past 3 weeks.

“Not for me… it was never over.”

Don’t call me anymore, please.

“But, I want to hear your voice.”

I’m sorry, take care.

“No, don't do that. Don't apologise”

After the grating sound of the machine's ending beep, he downs another shot of soju and reaches for his mobile phone in his back pocket. He dials her number slowly yet hesitantly, his fingers shaking. Yi Xing catches a glimpse of his face on the mobile phone screen and laughs at his pitiful state. He pours another shot of soju and decides to chug the whole alcohol left in the bottle. He looks at her number again on the screen and struggles to press the green button to call. He clutches his chest and grunts, his anger slowly building up as he clasps his phone tightly to his heart.  And in a blink of an eye, Yi Xing quickly throws his phone towards the white wall in frustration, breaking it.

He starts to wonder what went wrong in their relationship. He was happy and very content. But one thing confuses him the most… was she?

Yi Xing walks towards the veranda of his apartment and gawks at the Seoul skyline. He moves closer to the edge and watches the ant-like people below walking, running and living.

Inhaling the crisp autumn breeze, Yi Xing tries his hardest not to choke on the tears b in his eyes but his feelings starts to betray him. He looks down again on the street and lets the wind dry his tears out.

The telephone in the apartment begins to ring, its repetitive sound echoing in his ears. Yi Xing turns around from the veranda to face the telephone but he chooses to ignore the dreadful clamour of each one of them.

Ring
Ring
Ring
Ring

Ring

No one is available to take your call, please leave a message after the tone /beep/: Yi Xing, It’s me Kris. I’m kind of worried that you haven’t been attending practices for almost 3 weeks now. No phone call or texts whatsoever. You even moved out of the apartment without telling us and you’re lucky that the manager didn’t notice at all but he will soon. Are you sick? Please call me. I’m running out of excuses for you so please Yi Xing, call back. If you don’t then I’m coming there with the members tomorrow. Okay? Bye.

Yi Xing heads to the answering machine and touches the edge of the telephone where the familiar green light blinks again. He pushes his hair back and glances back towards the veranda, his mind clouded with dark thoughts. 

The phone starts to ring again and distracts Yi Xing back to reality. He lifts the telephone up to his right ear, his hand shaking. Yi Xing answers the phone with a hint of exhaustion in his voice but tries to maintain its clarity.

“Hello?”

Yi Xing utters with a pause, as the caller remains quiet for what seems to be half a minute. The silence from the phone starts to irk him and he clears his throat for an answer. The breathing of the caller looms closer and louder, getting read to talk. Yi Xing repeats his question in annoyance but the response on the other end stops him cold, his eyes widening in shock.

 

 





 

 

----------
I hope you enjoyed ch.1. :D

While you wait for a new chapter, subcribe and read my Kai/Sehun/Sulli fanfic, 'That Summer's Day'.