Three

매직 [ m a g i c ]
Three;
The Big Day for magic 
Today is the big day and I couldn't be more nervous if I tried. 
 
We'd had it shoved down our throats so much recently how important this audition is, that I was becoming nervous for the auditionees myself, and I thanked my lucky stars that I didn't have to go through that. 
 
"You'll wait for me, right?" Danmi demands as she dresses in our dorm room. 
 
I play with my duvet, too ashamed to meet her excited gaze.
 
"Yeah, I'll definitely wait for you." I answer quietly.
 
Suddenly she comes over and hugs me tightly, sighing as she does so.
 
"It's so unfair, RiRi. If anyone should have gotten the audition it should have been you." She mumbles into my hair.
 
I don't answer, because honestly, what is there to say?
 
Three days ago SM officially announced they were holding auditions with Trainees for positions in their new upcoming girl group. The girls were chosen, given times for their audition and told to prepare a dance, a song then be ready to do free dance to a track that will be chosen by the judges. But that was all they were told. Tae-Oppa explained that our involvement must be kept secret until the day of the audition to ensure none of the candidates tries to bribe us. We should, he reminded us sternly, judge purely on talent, not on friendship and personal matters. 
 
I was dreading the moment Danmi walks into her audition and sees me there, on the judging pannel. More than anything, I was afraid for our friendship. There was so much lying going on that it was physically paining me to keep such good news from her and to keep track of my own lies.
 
Feeling sick with guilt, I pushed her away and flashed my signature smile and wink.
 
"Don't worry about me! You just concentrate focus on your audition! I expect you to go In there and show  everything you're made of!" I ordered sternly.
 
She laughed and pushed me back onto the bed playfully as she stood up and went to observe herself in the mirror. I remained laid where I was, aware of the time. I'd need to go meet the other judges soon, which meant sneaking by Danmi. I stood up abruptly.
 
"I'm gonna go get some snacks." The lie fell from my mouth with such ease that it made me worried.
 
Since when had I become so good at deceiving others? 
 
"I might be gone by time your back. I want to get there early." Danmi told me without looking up from where she slipped on her earrings. "So wish me luck!"
 
I paused In the doorway.
 
"Good luck, Dan. I truly mean it." I muttered, before hurrying out of the dorm.
 
A block over from our shared dorm a black SUV sat with tinted windows, the engine running. I opened the door and glanced around me quickly, before jumping into the back. From the seat opposite mine, EunCha gave me an amused look.
 
"Paranoid much, Ri Na Unni?" She asked sweetly. 
 
I buckled myself in and sniffed. 
 
"Danmi's auditioning. She's suspicious enough as it is without seeing me hopping into this car."
 
"Ah, so Danmi is an auditionee!" She clapped her hands, pleased. "She wouldn't tell me when I asked."
 
"Yes well, she is. And she seems to think the reason we weren't chosen to audition is because we have some sort of big Drama gig." I admitted, still taken back by Danmi's conclusion.
 
She honestly thought we'd scored major parts in a new up and coming, secret Drama series, and assumed that's why we couldn't audition - Because we'd already been set up to debut as major actresses. Her delusion helped explain why I wasn't around during group practices a lot, but I also felt awful for not denying it and setting her straight. 
 
"That's actually hilarious." EunCha snickered. 
 
"Lying to my best friend is hardly 'hilarious'" I snapped. She shook her head, still chuckling. 
 
"No, I mean that she thought you could debut in a Drama. I mean, seriously? I've seen you in Drama lessons, Ha Ri Unni and you ." She laughed. 
 
I gritted my teeth from reminding her of her lack of proper work as an actress but thought better of it. Better her attend the audition in a good mood, than in a bad one and possibly mark Danmi down on sheer spite alone. So, I let her laugh, all the while attempting to keep myself calm.  
 
It was only ten minutes by car to the SM Academy, but it honestly felt like hours. I took the long way to the audition hall whilst EunCha went elsewhere, mumbling something anout a test. I was hyper aware that there was a few students here getting in some early practice before the audition, one of them soon being Danmi, who I was certain was on her way.
 
The audition hall was a small auditorium with a risen level only accessible through the outside the audition hall, so they could enter and not be seen by the audience. It lead to the backstage area fit with a seating room, four dressing rooms and even a makeup area.  Bellow the stage on another risen platform was a long table with chairs for the judges, and behind that the chairs for viewers, whose chairs slowly inclined in levels for better viewing. 
 
Sitting at the judging table already was Tae Oppa, who was discussing something with his secretary, who was passing him one of the folders she was carrying. I climbed the few stairs up to the judging area and at my approach the secretary bowed, causing Tae Oppa too look up and smile politely as he recognised me. He gestured for me to take a seat next to him. I did so with a bow of my own.
 
"Good morning, Oppa." I greeted shyly as I placed my handbag under my table. He smiled politely.
 
"Good morning, HaRi. Here." He offered, passing me his own folder and accepting a new one from his secretary. "These are the auditionees profiles. They're in order of who will audition, so make sure to have a quick read as each introduces themselves."
 
"There's room at the bottom of each to make notes." His secretary added, as she placed five folders down on the table, three of whome for the other judges. 
 
"Ah, thank you." I mumbled, the smooth cover. I wanted to open it and have a peek.
 
No doubt sensing what I was feeling, Tae Oppa chuckled.
 
"I'm sure you already know by now whose auditioning." 
 
"Ah... Yes." I admitted. "It's hard not too, with everyone talking about it."
 
"Yes, I can imagine. It's been years since we debuted a girls group." He mused. 
 
I thought about the F(x) unnis and felt a rush of glee. Soon, I would be just like them; an Idol.
 
"EunCha's uncharacteristically late." He noted suddenly. I felt my mood plummet at his observation. So he had noticed she was always early...
 
"Ah, yeah... She mentioned something about collecting test results... But I thought she'd be here by now." I answered, and I didn't have to hide my curiosity. I truly did wonder where she was at, considering I had taken a long route here in my paranoia. 
 
"Sorry I'm late!" Her voice suddenly sounded, as though right on cue. "I was held up by my roommate whose auditioning today who I met in the classroom. She was practically begging me to go with her, and I had to lie about a Drama audition." She explained, as she came up onto the judging platform and took a seat next to me. "Good morning, Oppa." He inclined his head in answer. 
 
She was dressed even more casual today in a long skirt, a vest top and a long cardigan over the top. She had barely any makeup on and her hair was tied in a single plait down her back. I felt much better in my black skinny jeans, converse and long pink jumper with a black heart in the center. My hair was down in its usual natural waves, though I had slipped on a pink headband to contrast with my dark hair. My makeup was light, as I didn't want to make Danmi too suspicious. 
 
"Oh, what's this?" She asked, making a move to open the folder.
 
"It has the auditionees information inside." I explained, feeling a little smug. "You read them whilst they introduce themselves, and add notes at the bottom if needed. They're in order, too, of auditioning order." I explained. "But We're not supposed to read ahead, yet." I added as she almost had the cover open. 
 
She shut it quickly and flashed Tae Oppa an innocent smile as he watched us with interest. 
 
"Are you both friends?" He asked suddenly. We both paused to answer a little too long, causing him to laugh openly. "I'll take that as a no, then." He chuckled, shaking his head in mirth.
 
Unsure how to answer, both EunCha and I gave each other an uneasy look. I hadn't realised our mutual dislike for one another had been that obvious, but then I supposed we'd not exactly made an effort over these last few days. I made a pact with myself at that moment to make a proper effort withEunCha from now on, to ensure we could work together successfully. 
 
Just then the audition halls doors opened and two figures entered, who I recognised as Manager Bin Woo and his secretary. Both EunCha and I stood quickly and bowed deeply, which he acknowledged with a small incline of his head. He took a seat next to EunCha as his secretary whispered something in his ear, which he nodded too before shooing her away. She bowed to the rest of us before leaving quickly, her hand snapping down to answer her cell, which rang but once.
 
I sat back down slowly and glanced at my watch. It was half quarter to eight, meaning we had fifteen minutes before the audition. 
 
I sat in silence with EunCha as Manager Bin Woo, who had left his seat to wonder the isle, chatted on his phone and Oppa Tae texted somebody furiously. I turned towards EunCha nervously and gave her a small. Forced smile.
 
"So, um, are you busy later?" I asked. She raised an eyebrow curiously.
 
"I think so... Why? She demanded, almost suspiciously. 
 
"I thought we could grab a coffee or something... Get to know each other better." I practically spat out in my haste to say it, the words leaving a sour taste in my mouth.
 
"Um..." She seemed floored. "I uh... I'd love too... But I'm practicing tonight." She explained. "You could come practice with me, if you'd like?"
 
Now it was my time to be stunned.
 
"Ah, um..." I considered it seriously. We'd be practicing together a lot more in the future, so it would make sense to get more comfortable now. So I nodded. "Sure, I'd love too." I pulled out my phone from my jean pocket. "Shall we swap numbers?" 
 
She nodded as she pulled out her own phone and pressed some keys. We held them together as we exchanged information via Infared. Once done we smiled at one another awkwardly and looked away quickly. I noticed a message from Danmi and opened it. I felt a stab of guilt as I replied, not wanting to give too much away:
 
 
 
⭐Danmi ⭐
✓ Friends
✘ delete
➟ send
bae+seul+gi19.jpg
 
 

 

> I'm backstage now, SO nervous. Meet me outside SMA at 10 plz? Xxxx


< I'll definitely see you soon... Good luck xx

> Thanks, Ri. I think I'll need it! Xxx

 

I felt sick as I snapped my phone shut and ignored it as it buzzed again, a few mins later. In fact, I was tempted to turn it off together. I knew it would go nuts after her audition, when she'd want answers, but I just couldn't bring myself to switch it off. I owed her them answers, after all. 
 
The audition hall opened, and a women wearing a crisp business suit entered, her hair held in a right bun on her head, her face showing very little signs of makeup and looking extremely severe. She walked up to the judging chair, bowed to Manager Bin Woo who was still on his phone and gave us all a now before sitting. 
 
"Traffic?" Oppa Tae offered to her with a sympathetic smile. 
 
She shot him a wary look.
 
"Today was awful." She sniffed, taking a pen from her bag. "I thought I'd never get here."
 
"You should take the subway." Tae Oppa suggested. "Much faster and I can guarantee there's no traffic." I cracked a smile at this, which caused the woman to purse her lips and stare at both me and EunCha critically. 
 
"So these are the two chosen girls?" She asked of Tae Oppa.
 
"Yeah, this is Ha Ri and the one closest to you is EunCha." He introduced. She assessed us calmly.
 
"Hmm..." Was all she said, making it impossible to tell what she thought of us. I had no idea who she was, and nobody offered an explanation. 
 
We sat in an cuncomfortable silence - or at least, it was on my part, until Manager Bin Woo returned, flashing everyone a cheerful smile.
 
"The auditions ready to start. Ready yourselves, we have a long day ahead of us." He warned, seeming amused. 
 
I my dry lips as a woman appeared on the stage, bringing with her a young girl. I recognised her from a few dance classes, and realised she was the first auditionee. Immediately I flicked open my folder, following Tae Oppas lead and scanned her details as she spoke.
 
"Hello. My name is Suk Min-Ae, and I am a dance major." She spoke, her voice loud.
 
I read through her details quickly, noting the various dancing gigs shed received, along with a brief bio about her, 15, born in Incheon, speaks Korean and Chinese fluently... But then in the notes in red were the words that made my eyebrows rise; Great dancer, but lacks drive to learn her moves in time. Lazy.
 
"Begin your dance routine." Manager Bin Woo instructed, and the girl gestured off stage. 
 
She got into position, and then suddenly the music started and she began to move. Although obviously talented, I noticed her movements lacked sharpness, her gestures somewhat - as the notes said - lazy. She knew the moves, she just wasn't pulling them off with the right amount needed for this strong beat. 
 
I write down my thoughts, just as Manager Bin Woo spoke;
 
"That's enough." He called. The music stopped and the girl hurried to the center of the stage.
 
"We've prepared a track for you to dance too. You have three minutes." He told her firmly.
 
Again, he gestured, and music began, the sounds of FX's Nu Abo chiming. I watched as she danced the best she could, her movements somewhat sloppy. She was very obviously flustered, and I could tell that she didn't like making the moves up herself. She missed several beats and her moves fell flat. I wrote my notes, feel a sense of guilt as I marked the girl down. But this was, I rationalised, the way the entertainment industry operated.
 
"Thank you." Manager Bin Woo spoke, stopping her dancing. She looked flustered and worried.
 
"Now for the song you've prepared." He told her. 
 
Again she gestured towards the backstage, and suddenly the music began. She was signing a BOA song, and again... She was lacking. A poor song choice, I noticed. Her voice didnt have the power needed. Once again Manager Bin Woo cut her off early and offered her a polite smile.
 
"Thank you." He told her. "Please inform the next auditionee it's there turn." 
 
She stood frozen for a moment, seeming unsure of what to do, before the woman who lead her on initially came on and lead her back off. Next to me EunCha tutted.
 
"How she scored above 90% is beyond me..." She muttered. Tae Oppa seemed to hear.
 
"Many girls perform well in lessons, but infront of others in a judging atmosphere... They flop. It's what defines the perspective idols from those who will be nothing more than backup dancers." 
 
His words were somewhat harsh, but the truth. On walked the next girl, and the process repeated, though the song they were to dance too changed each time. It wasn't until auditionee number twenty six walked from the stage, did I flip the folders page and receive a mini heart attack.
 
"Oh, look whose next." EunCha whispered to me, her tone somewhat excited. 
 
My stomach had descended and the room seemed to drop in temperature. I watched in a fit of nerves as Danmi strolled onto the stage calmly and composed, her eyes immediately seeking out mine with a look that knocked the breath from my lungs. Everything was reflected in that look; confusion, anger but most of all - betrayal. It seemed the other girls had told her the news already, and seeing me had confirmed it. 
 
As she looked away from me, and her expression suddenly betrayed nothing. She was in professional mode. 
 
"Hello. My name is Choi Danmi, a dance and singing major." She bowed deeply. 
 
Next to me EunCha fidgeted whilst I stayed frozen. My heart was stuttering and my breathing was shallow. But except for that one, piecing gaze, Danmi didn't look way my way once, not during her whole dance to SHiNee's Lucifer, or her singing FX's a Electric Shock. At the end she bowed, left the stage and it was only then that I took my first proper breath. 
 
"She's good." EunCha spoke. I looked at her in surprise. "What? I'm just saying, as a judge, I can see she has great potential. Easily one of the best we've seen yet."
 
"Yes, I'll agree with you there." Manager Bin Woo sighed, whilst next to him Tae Oppa stretched with a yawn.
 
"Three more and we're done. Then we can go get coffee." Tae Oppa noticed happily. I smiled at the thought. Right now, I could do with a nice strong coffee to ease my nerves.
 
The last three auditions flew by, and it wasn't long before Manager Bin Woo clapped and stood up quickly, making a call. He trolled off without another word to us, and with a quick bow, the woman also left. Tae Oppa rose and stretched, yawning once again. 
 
"Come girls. I'll treat you both to a coffee." He smiled. 
 
I stood up with EunCha and gathered my things, before noticing the folders still on the table. Seeing my worried expression, Tae Oppa gestured towards them.
 
"Bin Woo Hyung's secretary is coming for them." He explained, already making his way down the steps and over towards the auditioning rooms doors. I followed closely with EunCha behind me, once again texting furiously on her phone.
 
Outside the doors, I stopped in my tracks at the familiar sight of a dark bob.
 
"Oh!" EunCha exclaimed, as she bumped into me. She stepped around and caught sight of what I did, her expression becoming blank.
 
"Girls?" Tae Oppa asked, noticing we weren't following him. He gave the motionless Danmi a curious look. "Aren't you coming?"
 
"Of course." EunCha smiled, casting Danmi a look before walking to join him.
 
"I uh... I'll meet you there, Tae Oppa." I told him quietly. He shrugged.
 
"Sure." Was all he said, as he then walked away with Encha following. 
 
I faced Danmi silently, my nerves kicking in once again. She was leaning against the wall, her expression unreadable, though her vibe was anything but friendly. I rubbed my arms, trying to regain warmth into my suddenly freezing skin.
 
"We need to talk." She spoke at last, her tone flat.
 
I inhaled sharply, before nodding my head.
 
"Yeah... We really do." I admitted at last.