The Encounter

Stomach Tied In Knots

There he is, standing few metres away from me, dancing his heart out. He always wanted to perform. He loves making people happy. That is Zhang Yixing.

--------

Its been years since the last time I talked to Yixing. He was a friend whom I could pour my heart out. Little that I knew our friendship turned into a crush. But he became a celebrity, and I knew right then that Yixing wasn't mine anymore. Many girls swoon over him therefore my feeling towards him means nothing.

I really had no idea how I ended up being in this place. I had no interest in the group nor their songs. I was there to see Yixing, a crush that I had been missing years ago.

After a few glances of Yixing, I quickly left the venue. I don't want him to notice me. Well he wouldn't anyway. There were thousands of fans surrounded the area. There is no way Yixing could see me. I walked past teenage girls who has this huge banner with "Marry me Lay" written on it. I sighed at its presence. Yeah, there is no way Yixing would ever want to be my friend again. He is famous now.

I was shoved and pushed among the crowd, unable to leave the place. I muster all the strength I've got and suddenly, I fell to the ground. Someone picked me up and led me out.

"Are you okay?" asked the gentlemen. He held a huge DSLR camera attached to a tripod.

"Yeah I'm alright. Thanks." I replied, brushing off the dirt on my knees.

"So, what makes you leave so early? The concert wasn't good?" he asked again. He does not look like a fanboy. He is a middle-aged man, wearing a suspicious crew tag hanging on his neck.

"No I just came to see a friend.... ah, nothing. I won free tickets so it's a waste if I didn't go." I lied.

"I figured this group wasn't your cup of tea then." He smiled.

"I guess. Oh thanks for helping me out. I gotta go."

"Wait, would you mind being interviewed? Because I'm actually a crew. And I'm really curious about your opinion towards the concert." He said.

"An interview? Like my face will be on TV and the whole group will watch it?" I frantically asked. I don't want Yixing to know that I was here.

He nodded. "Oh why not. This interview is for company purposes. The group probably wouldn't have time to watch it. We won't release the interview to fans. You don't have to worry. We just wanna know how do you feel after attending this concert." He explained.

I was hesitated at first, but thinking that this man has helped me and Yixing probably wouldn't even see the video because he has a lot of things to do other than watching some random interviews, I agreed. I followed him to a tent where securities surrounded the area. Its their merch tent. The guy took my contact number and asked multiple questions. Then I was taken to the corner of the tent and the interview begins.

--------

Few days later, an unknown number shows up on my cellphone.

"Hello is this __?" Asked the person on the other line.

"Umm yes. Who is this?" I asked. The voice sounds familiar.

"Meet me at Central Park at 6pm. I will call you once you reached there." He hung up.

I was pissed because not only this person didn't introduce himself, he asked me to meet him as he wish. What if he is a serial killer who randomly calls on people and kidnap them? But his voice sounds really familiar. I couldn't help but let my curiousity took over.

I went to the park but I make sure to be among the public. I will never let this guy fools me.

He calls again.

"You're here? Sit on the bench. I will come over." He instructed.

"WAIT! Where are..." and he hung up on me again.

I sat on the bench and waited.

Few minutes later, someone sat on the empty spot of the bench. I glanced over my right side and this guy was staring at me. He covered his mouth with a printed mask and he kept staring at me.

This person looked familiar. Very familiar. In fact I've seen him few days ago.

"Yixi.....!!!" I shrieked.

"Shhhh!" He covered my mouth with his hand. "Don't talk. You're making it obvious. Look away."

I nodded. He let go of his hand.

"Yixing what are you doing here?" I asked, keeping my eyes elsewhere. My eyes are getting teary.

"I want to see you." He said. "You have no idea how much I've been through just to get in contact with you."

"I... I want to see you too." I looked down on my lap.

"Then why did you walked away from the concert?" he asked again.

"What? You saw me?"

"Of course. I saw you the moment I stepped on the stage. I don't know why but out of all people, I only saw you. And then you left." he said.

"How did you get my phone number?" I asked.

"When we finished performing the song, I ran backstage and took a walkie-talkie that connects to the cameraman who was standing behind you. He is a crew so I begged him to look out for you. I had no idea that he asked you to be interviewed, and thats how he gets your contact number so that I can keep in touch with you." He explained.

"So, the interview wasn't even real? I was scammed?" I asked dumbly.

"Well, I did asked the guy to get your number because you're a friend of mine. I had no idea he would go that far to get your contact number." He chuckled.

"He's... a genius." I replied.

"Yeah thanks to him, now you're here. I even keep the video of you getting interviewed." he laughed.

My cheeks turned red at his remarks. Yixing remembered me after all these years.

I turned to face him and studied his face. He is the same person after all. It just that he grew up to be ridiculously good looking. 

"I miss you." he blurted.

I was shocked. Who am I to be missed by Lay, one of the members of a famous group that is wel-known internationally? Tears falling down to my cheeks and a pair of warm hands cupped my face and wiped my tears away.

"Follow me." he said.

We took a taxi and arrived at his dorm. I slowly walked behind him until we reach the front door of his dormitory.

"This is where I stay with the group members. No one is inside. They all went home for the holidays. I stayed here for training." He gripped my wrist and led me inside.

 

-------