Eye Contact

[ONESHOT] A Player's Game

 

Silky long black hair, big eyes, tall and lean with nice curves in the right places. Definitely something every girl would envy to have or be. 

Her elegant walking with 10 cm heels clicked on the library floor as she was looking for a book hoping to finish her upcoming project as soon as possible before the weekend. After minutes of searching for that certain book, she decided to ask the librarian for a little help, just to be notified that the book was borrowed by another student few hours ago. She sighed in discontent as the librarian told her to come back in three days. Disappointment washed all over her face as she stepped out of the library with no book for her homework.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On the hand two boys were prickling each others on the busy streets of Seoul. Not like they have anything productive to do anyways. Zico is known as a player, his best friend Park Kyung the jokester. They definitely had nothing to do rather than wander here and there. Both boys were walking out of the ice cream parlor when Zico suddenly stopped tracks causing Kyung to bump behind his broad back.

“Yo! Are you crazy? You made me almost drop my precious ice cream!”

“Trust me I just saw something more precious than your ice cream bro.”

“What hell is it then?” Zico only pointed at the other side of the street and Kyung gazed intently to find what his friend was talking about. His mouth hanged opened and his hand automatically let the ice cream fell on the ground.

Zico only smirked as something was plotting inside his mind. Kyung couldn’t stop staring at the girl and followed every move of her until she got inside the bus.

“I know what you’re thinking Zico and you absolutely got no opportunity with this girl, she’s not your type.” Kyung simply stated patting his back in comfort, but he knew maybe he should give a shot she is unquestionably his type.

Knowing his best friend, he was trying to get rid of his enemies before any battle could begin. Zico also knew Kyung would take a chance if he doesn’t step his game up.

“And you think she’s your type?” He snorted sarcastically and Kyung nodded proudly. “She may be your type, but you may not be hers.”

“You don’t like chic girls…”

“I can make an exception.”

“Then let’s make a bet, the first one to get her number and ask her out will win.” Kyung suggested he was sure he wouldn’t lose to Zico, even though he was a player, Kyung got something behind his sleeve that no girl would not agree.

“How about a hundred bucks?” Zico said.

“Deal.”

“I will go first.”

“Not fair! Let me go first!”

“I saw her first so I get the privilege to go.” Kyung sighed in defeat and agreed, after all there were codes for courting a girl when it comes to brotherhood.

“I’m telling you, you won’t get a chance to talk to her, I will definitely win.” Park Kyung only frowned at his best friend over confidence. “Ah, before you forget, clean the ice cream.” Zico chuckled; he turned his back and walked home to do some research about this mysterious girl that caught his attention.

----------------------------------------------------------

It took Zico almost two days to know her schedule; he refuses to know her name until he asks her so the only information was about her whereabouts around town. According to the librarian she was going to be there the next day looking for a book. He thought of many possible ways of how to meet her but none of them seemed believable if he was going to convince a girl like her.

He arrived extra early to the library hoping to see her. Zico thought of carrying a pile of book on purpose and then bump into her; to be honest he never liked books nor ever bothered to read them unless it was manga if that counts. And it was only once when he borrowed them form a friend name Ukwon.

Tapping his fingers impatiently on the counter waiting for his opportunity to snatch a hundred bucks from Kyung, there was no way he’d lose to his friend. They were this competitive when it comes to girl and Zico knows the secret formula to make them fall for him, and now was his turn to use it with the chic girl.

------------------------------------------

She walked inside the library hopefully to find the book. This time she strolled directly to the reception for help, not wanting to waste her energy looking for something that wasn’t even there. As soon as she arrived, Zico lit up his face and stare at her studying every feature and waiting for the right time to make a coherent conversation with her.

“It’s easy; you do it all the time. Why chicken out now?” he murmured to himself. Something was off with him the moment he saw her entering the library. He would never feel nervous around a girl and they were an easy dating target. But she radiates a different aura from others like as if was impossible to read her mind. “This is a tough one…C´mon dude you can do it for Kyung’s hundred bucks sake.” He tried to convinced himself and let go of that pathetic nervousness that was running through his mind.

She let out a sigh of relief as the librarian told her the book was returned last night before closing, which means she would be able to finish her project and dedicate to party the weekend at her friend’s house. After the librarian gave her the directions of where that book was placed, she walked through the shelves browsing for it. As soon as she spotted the book in the highest part of the shelf she tried to tiptoe and reach for it but still mere inches away from her target. Despite wearing heels she couldn’t take the book. Cursing under her breath about how selfish were the librarians to place something so important on the highest shelf. With one last breath she tried to reach it again. But someone stood behind her and reached for the book without any effort. She abruptly turned and saw a tall man around her age with two caps as if one wasn’t enough to make him look hot but she thought it was cute and suited him well. He gently handed her the book and she took it bowing a thank you before walking back to the counter.

Zico did a face that was beyond disbelieve. Never ever in his life he’d been ignored by a girl. Nonetheless mission one is completed, or kind of…

Many thoughts were roaming through his head as he watched from afar the girl taking the book from the counter and heading off the library, as soon as she did that he snapped out of his mental confusion and ran after her. Once out the library he saw her crossing the street. For some reason this was not a game anymore, now he really wanted to know her so bad.

Zico opted to find another pathway to bump into her ‘accidentally’ and finally do some chit chat. After what it seems minutes of following her, she came out of the café with a latte on her hands and walking inside an alley between two buildings. “This is your chance, Zico don’t screw it this time.” He quietly mumbled to himself and approached to his prey.

----------------------------------------------------

She was humming happily a song; her weekend was going to be awesome after finishing the project. Taking a sip of her hot coffee she skipped some steps excited, this was a cute side no one has seen or so she thought.

With each step she was taking the more eager she was determined to finish the project. Suddenly she bumped into something and the coffee spilled on her designer bag, she was frustrated and pissed, her handbag was limited edition. Taking out a napkin to clean the disaster she pouted and stomped her foot cutely after seeing the stain wont rub off. Zico found it extremely cute, she was his type. Chic girls have a soft side.

“I’m sorry!” Zico apologized, hoping she would look up.

“It’s ok I-“ She stopped in mid sentence when she saw him, it was the same guy who helped her to reach out the book back in the library, was destiny playing a role in her life? She saved to answer the question later.

“I’m really sorry.” He tried to bow but she stopped him as he was bending to her level. It was now or never. Zico lifted his face and stared at her at that same moment his ultimate weapon was going to be released. Eye contact. She found herself immersed in his intense gaze, he was perfect in every aspect, sharp jawline, plump limps and of course his eyes, charming and transmitting a dangerous vibe at the same time. She tried to blink a few times to break from her trance. Composing herself she walked past him. Zico caught her up by her left arm, she turned around to face him with a curious look, wasn’t enough for him to ruin her handbag? She thought. “Hey.” He let go of her arm and rubbed the back of his neck giving her an apologetic look.

“Yes?” she replied waiting for him to say something.

“Can you give me your number? I mean to pay you back for your bag!” he swiftly corrected himself.

She only smiled sweetly making his heartbeat accelerate per ten. Never in his life has been so difficult to talk to a girl, but why was he hesitating so much since the first time he saw her? The answer was clear; he was head over heels for her.

Her gaze directed to the pocked of his jeans, she slip her right hand inside the left pocket of his pants and took out his phone. He was taken by surprise by her sudden actions but stood still eyeing her in amazement. Her smiled grew wider after inspecting his device with a Hello Kitty cover and key chain. Who would have known a badass guy likes this kind of things? She typed her number and name in his phone before reaching for his hand and placing it on his palm.

“I’ll be waiting for your call.” She shyly said and bowed retreating back to her destination. Zico saw her disappear from the alley and stood there dumbstruck. He slowly pressed his phone searching on the list of contacts. Ahn Ha Ri the screen flashed her name.

“What a cute name.” he whispered. Once again he was strolling on his contact list for the name of his best friend. Few seconds later his friend picked up. Zico smirked “Park Kyung, prepare the hundred bucks when I reach home…”

-------------------------------------------

Ahn Ha Ri entered her apartment and took her belongings out of the ruined purse.

Her friend watches her intently at every movement she was making. She saw her entering the kitchen and tossing her handbag inside the trash bin. Her eyes widened at Ha Ri unexpected actions. Dropping her bag of chips aside the couch and taking off her legs from the table she quickly ran to her side.

“Girl, are you crazy? That’s limited edition!” her friend almost shouted at Ha Ri. It was beyond unbelievable what she was doing throwing something so precious like a designer bag.

“I don’t care; I’m getting a new one. Besides I was getting bored with this one.” She fatly said walking to the couch and taking the bag of chips her friend left there.

“What do you mean?” her friend asked her after taking a seat next to Ha Ri.

“Jun Hee, do you remember this guy named Zico?” Ha Ri propped some chips inside and turning herself to face her friend.  Jun Hee nodded. “Well I gave him my number.”

“What? Girl, have you gone insane on the way home?” she frowned at her snatching back her chips from Ha Ri’s grasp.

“Nope, I was doing a good deed; he seems pretty interested in me.”

“He’s a player, Zico is a major player!”

“Yeah, I know.” Ha Ri smirked. “But I’m a flirt.” Inside her mind she was planning something to entertain herself for a while. ‘Let’s see who breaks whose heart first…’ she thought. Zico was going to be a new challenge.