Reunion - Original

Reunion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Reunion

 

Kai hated school reunions.

He hated school reunions with cheesy clichéd themes like they have tonight; “Going Down Memory Lane”, even more.

But he had to be here … Kris told him that the other one would come.

After that, he would leave quietly.

As he leaned himself next to the cool wall of the old gym, his eyes went to survey the crowd. Though they’re now young adults with careers and some with families, he did not see a major difference in their way of flocking into their own groups once they entered the school gym’s door.  It was just like back during school in the past; the popular ones would be chatting away and trying to outshine each other, the jocks would be back slapping and cheering over lists of conquests, the brainy ones would try to outdo each other with their achievements, the gossipers would be talking with what they think as their hushed tones but actually was loud enough to be heard by anybody who cared about their ex-classmates, the underachievers would be huddled at the corner looking at the other groups with envy and jealousy and this was the same pattern echoed around the gathering.

He was alone and he liked it. He was there for only one reason and so far his reason hasn’t showed up yet, so he had to wait and tolerate the greetings of his hoobaes and the occasional polite small talk with his sunbaes. But after awhile, he had enough of trying to keep smiling and laugh at endless strings of lame jokes; he decided to do literally what the cheesy reunion theme was saying.

So, slowly he walked out of the gym and went to find his old classroom where memories of sweet longing and repressed emotions that brought him here started but never ends. He did not bother to turn on the lights as the full moon which could be seen from the windows was bathing the room with a soft glow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter