Swept Away

Swept Away

"Wow, we're finally here. I can't believe it!" you shouted, running to the shore, "The ocean's huge!" Myungsoo chuckled, watching your excitement, but his expression changed once he took a look at the sea.
"The waves look kind of strong today. Are you sure it's okay to go swimming?" He asked.
"What are you talking about? That's part of the fun!" You grabbed his hand, pulling him toward the water.
"I know, but... Just be careful, okay?" He scratched the back of his head awkwardly.
"You don't need to worry about me, Myungsoo." You shook your head, smiling to yourself. Myungsoo was always worried about you for one reason or another. He needed to learn how to cut loose once in a while. Good thing he was with you; you knew just how to fix that. "Come on, let's catch the first wave!"

You entered the water where Myungsoo stood, watching you. The ocean was invigorating, the cold currents were enough to refresh anyone in an instant. You marveled at the tiny fish that swam by your feet, and looked up at Myungsoo, waving at him to come in. He looked apprehensive, still worried about the measure of waves, no doubt, but he entered slowly and swam up to you.
"It's cold." he said, rubbing his shoulders.
"No kidding. It's the ocean," you answered, "not a hot tub, Myungsoo."
"I know that!" he retorted. He playfully splashed you, and ducked as you splashed him back. The two of you played in the water, pointing at the school of fish that went by, and laughing at the way each others' hair looked when wet. It wasn't long before Myungsoo was exhausted. The waves were growing bigger by the minute, and the sky was turning gray.
"Come on, let's take a break," he urged, "the current is getting too strong."
"Hah! This is nothing." you boasted, swimming diligently in a circle to show him.
"Tch! You're so stubborn." he said, growing annoyed, "Please get out, this isn't safe."
"No way!" you said, insulted by his remark, "Trust me, I'll be fine. Just relax, go sunbathe or something."
"Fine, whatever." he said, pulling himself out of the water. If you're going to be like that, he thought, then I'll learn to enjoy myself without you.
..
Hmph! Stubborn? I'm not stubborn, you thought, It's not my fault that he can't handle the waves. Maybe it was a mistake to bring him here... You swam a little further from the shore. Being in an area that was too shallow was beginning to feel like being in a kiddie pool, and you wanted some space.
Myungsoo found a spot to sit, and watched you as you swam. Even though he called you stubborn, he knew you were just strong-willed. It wasn't his position to tell you what you could or could not do. Still, he worried about you. However strong-willed you were, your safety was still important. He waved at you as you looked at him, not surprised by your angry glare. He began to regret calling you stubborn. Moments went by, and the breeze brushed against his skin. The crash of the waves and the salty scent that came with it relaxed him. He began to doze off, smiling vaguely at your figure being swept away by the tide...

The image suddenly registered in his mind, and he bolted upright. Panic struck as he looked out toward the sea, but you were nowhere in sight. He ran to the shoreline and called out your name, his heart racing.
Nothing.
"No... No, no, no! This can't be happening!" he shouted your name again, but still, there was nothing. Without thinking, he shot toward the direction he saw you last. He reacted too late, and a giant wave crashed over his head. He choked, taken greatly by surprise. The cold water pierced his sides like daggers, and his eyes began to sting. He shouted your name again and again, gasping as he caught a glimpse of your body. He swam with all his might, finally reaching you, and grabbed on. He pulled you to the shore as quickly as possible, calling your name, needing you to stay with him. He was short of breath by the time he reached the shore, but he quickly took action. He performed CPR
for what felt like an eternity, hoping and praying that you'd be okay. Relief spread over him as you started to cough.

"He-HELP me!" you shouted, instinctively latching on to him. You regained your memory, remembering the wave that crashed over you too brutally. "Myungsoo! You-" Myungsoo was panting, and you quickly let go of him. He leaned back and looked at you without saying a word, trying to catch his breath. "Myungsoo, you... You saved me?" His shock prevented him from answering. A feeling of guilt consumed you. "Thank you. Thank you so much, Myungsoo." Tears streamed down your face, and you took him into your arms.
"I thought you were gone." he murmured, hugging you back, tightly.
"I'm sorry, I swam too far away, I should've listened to you, Myungsoo... I'm so sorry," you sobbed. Myungsoo softly hushed, and brushed a strand of hair from out of your face. He didn't want to talk, too exhausted from his nerves. He fell back, inviting you to lay down next to him. The two of you stayed there until you both had regained your strength.
From that day on, you listened to Myungsoo's advice, never again thinking it was a mistake to invite him; and from that day on, Myungsoo kept you in his sight, thankful that you were still around.