New Discoveries

Home

Taeyeon and I worked like lightning in the kitchen, being in our element. She did all of the prep work for her breakfast ingredients and started on the lunch ones as well while I put some dough from the fridge into the oven.

Having fresh baked goods first thing in the morning and simply having fresh food while in a cozy setting is what attracted me to opening up a café in the first place. It was only our second day in our own café but I’ve had other work experience. I worked as a waitress in a restaurant in high school, then in college I worked in a bakery. Being in charge and being my own boss was a great feeling.

From the order window, I could see Yoona and Sunny getting along rather well. Sunny was showing the menu to Yoona and I could see her writing notes in a little note pad. They were talking, but I couldn’t hear them too well since Taeyeon was blending some smoothies for us for an energy boost before we opened.

Before I knew it, an hour passed and I heard the bell signalling a customer ring. I smirked as I saw Yoona stiffen and rub her hands over her apron. She watched Sunny cheerfully greet our first customer of the day, her eyes filled with admiration. Yeah, I understand that. Sunny’s way with people never fails to awe me as well.

After getting the order, she skipped over to the order window and told us to prepare a coffee and a traditional cheese omelette.

“Get to work you two,” Sunny said as she winked at us. She quickly retreated as another customer had come in. I chuckled to myself as I saw Yoona stumble over herself to keep up. I wonder if this is her first waitressing job.

“Yeah, it is,” Taeyeon answered as the skillet below her sizzled. “She’s only worked as a cashier at a grocery store before and at several retail stores.”

I raised my eye brow at my sister and she giggled at my questioning luck. The girl always knew exactly what was on my mind.

“I read her resume last night,” she continued, flipping over the omelette, “Which you should’ve done as well, co-manager.”

“Hey! You’re the one who hired her right on the spot,” I retaliated, getting the coffee ready. I huffed and poured some into a cute little cup before setting it on the order window.

“I’m just teasing you,” Taeyeon responded as she placed the omelette on a plate. It smelled delicious and looked perfect. I watched as she placed two thin slices of tomato on the side and put it on the window next to the coffee before ringing the bell to signify that it was done.

“Yoona, could you go pick that up?” Sunny asked as she was showing our latest customer to her seat. Yoona nodded quietly before rushing over to pick up the order.

“Having fun?” I asked as she picked up the tray of food.

“It’s scary, but I like it,” she responded a little quietly. “Sunny unnie is really good at this job.”

“The girl’s been waitressing since high school,” Taeyeon answered with a smirk, “She was born to do that job.”

“I’ll make sure I learn well from her then,” Yoona laughed before leaving us with a big smile.

It seemed that she was lacking confidence at first, but as the hours progressed, her uneasiness withered away. I kind of wish that I could’ve watched her transformation properly, but I had my own duties to attend to in the kitchen.

Before we knew it, the slower hour before lunch came around arrived and the four of us were able to relax a little. I made a coffee for each of us as Yoona picked up the bill from the latest customer.

“She’s a good kid,” Sunny commented as she took a sip of her coffee. The short girl took it black, and I would always watch in horror as she drank it. How could she drink something so bitter? She caught me staring and I blushed a little as she smirked at me.

“Have a problem? Miss. Three Creams and Three Sugars?”

I rolled my eyes at the nickname and sipped on my own drink. It’s sweet and creamy, what’s wrong with that?

Yoona hopped over towards us with the latest bill and a huge smile on her face.

“Old people are so sweet,” she cooed, putting the money in the register and tossing a huge amount of money into the tip jar. “She said she tipped me extra because I’m pretty.”

I’m not surprised, in fact, I’m more shocked that she hadn’t received the comment earlier. With age, Yoona’s beauty only blossomed and it was envy inducing just looking at her.

“Is that so?” I said, Yoona’s hair affectionately, “Well then maybe I should become a waitress. That way, we’d get a whole lot more tips.”

Sunny and Taeyeon flicked me on the forehead at once and I cringed at the impact.

“That was totally uncalled for!” I protested, rubbing my precious forehead.

Yoona only giggled, “You three seem so close. I’m jealous.”

“Come on, kiddo,” Sunny laughed, pulling the taller girl closer to her, “Taengoo and I have been friends since forever, and I guess I’m kinda close to this giant here, but only because she’s always been around too. You’ll be a part of this family in no time.”

“Hey!” I growled a little offended, “Are you saying you don’t like me?”

Sunny only answered in a little smirk before we were interrupted by a familiar voice.

“Yoongie?” a small and gentle voice somehow reached all of our ears. We saw the adorable, chubby cheeked girlfriend at the door, peering inside. I turned to see Yoona’s eyes widen and sparkle upon seeing her significant other. She must really love the girl, I’ve never seen that look in anyone’s eyes, and I’ve seen the way Taeyeon looks at-

“Hyunnie!” Yoona exclaimed as she ran over to hug her girlfriend.

“How was your first day of work?”

I found myself following Yoona and stood there with a hand on my hip as the two exchanged words. It was lovely seeing how much their eyes sparkled when they shared eye contact and I wanted to squeal when I saw the pink in Seohyun’s cheeks whenever Yoona kissed her. I seriously need to find out their story and asap. Did they know each other in high school? How long have they been dating? When was their anniversary? How did they even meet in the first place?

When they finished talked, Seohyun looked at me and smiled. She had a really angelic face with the most graceful features I’ve ever seen on a human being.

“You look like you’ve been working hard,” she commented with a slight giggle. I looked down and saw the stains all over my apron.

“She’s just messy!” Sunny yelled out from the kitchen.

I growled and threw a glare at Sunny as the two other girls laughed.

“It’s surprising seeing you bake so much when the last time we saw each other, you were the one who was always eating,” Yoona said as she wiped crumbs off my shoulder.

I smiled at her, remembering how much she’d gawk at my eating habits. Then before we knew it, she began to share them with me, and we were known as the girls who ate everyone’s leftovers.

“Well, a love for food can only properly be expressed through cooking, or in my case baking,” I replied with a wide smile. “I have a certain affinity for sweets and the second my adoptive dad taught me how to bake cookies, I knew what I wanted to do when I grew up.”

“That’s really admirable,” Seohyun replied with a tilt of her head, “I constantly changed my dream job growing up.”

“What was it at first again?” Yoona wondered, rubbing her chin, “I think when we first met you wanted to be a librarian.”

I wonder when that was.

“Then when we were graduating I wanted to become a nurse, and then after first year in university I decided to become a teacher,” Seohyun giggled at the memory.

“Are you a teacher now then?” I asked, seriously curious as to where she was working.

“Yes,” Seohyun responded with a nod, “I’m actually on my lunch break now but I need to head back soon.”

I waved goodbye to the young girl and watched as she kissed and hugged Yoona goodbye. They held hands for a moment and their eyes lingered on each other for a moment before they departed. From what I could tell, they’ve known each other for a really long time.

“She’s cute,” I said as we watched her walk away.

Yoona turned to me with a raise of her brow, “Just cute? Sunny unnie’s cute, Sooyoungie, Hyunnie is gorgeous! She is practically a goddess. She’s the most beautiful when she’s playing the piano though, or when she’s with her kindergarten class.”

Yoona seriously loved the girl and I almost wanted to gag at how much she loved her. But instead, I rolled my eyes and pinched her cheek. She’s lucky she’s cute, or else I would’ve pushed her over for being so mushy.

“Sunny’s not just cute though,” I muttered to myself, just realizing Yoona’s little comment. But I shook my head and hoped that no one heard me, “Anyway, you seriously have so much to tell me! How long have you two been dating?”

“5 years?” Yoona responded as she wiped some more crumbs off my apron, “She became my best friend after we separated and one day, I realized I loved her more than just a best friend.”

“You need to give me more details than that,” I whined, placing my hands on Yoona’s shoulders and shaking her. But before we could talk more Taeyeon yelled at us from the kitchen.

“Get back to work, slackers!” She called out and I remembered that I was working. The few patrons laughed as I ran to the kitchen.

Lunch was much busier. We had a few more customers than yesterday and more children came in. Kids loved sweets, and today’s kids really wanted cupcakes. I was afraid I was going to run out but luckily, a new batch would be done when we ran out.

“It sure feels good sweating over a stove, huh sis?” I cooed as I pulled out a fresh batch of cookies from the over.

When she didn’t answer, I pouted and turned to yell at her. Instead, I burst into laughter upon seeing the most idiotic look on her face. She was dazed and was hanging open. Big sis had this tendency to keep open. She would never tell anyone outside of Sunny and I, but she’s swallowed more than one fly on occasion.

I followed her line of vision and saw that Jessica had entered the café. Yoona brought her to her seat and Jessica eyed the girl weirdly.

“I’ve never seen you before,” she said a little rudely, taking Yoona back. Sunny quickly rushed to her side and smacked Jessica on the head.

“Sica! You could be a little nicer to my new little donsaeng, Yoona,” Sunny announced, pulling the taller girl closer. “She’s the latest addition to the Home family.”

I snorted as I turned back to see that my older sister still hadn’t moved from her previous position. It was weird, considering how long we’ve known the girl. Taeyeon still had the same reaction upon seeing her.

“Going to say hi to your girlfriend?” I teased, poking my sister on her cheek.

That sequence of words finally got Taeyeon to snap out of her trance and she smacked my shoulder lightly in annoyance and embarrassment.

“She’s not my girlfriend,” she sighed, turning back to the dish sandwich she was making. I was relieved that she wasn’t cooking anything on the stove at the time, for she probably could’ve accidentally started a fire.

“Of course she’s not,” I sigh as well, patting my sister on her back, “She won’t see you as anything more than a friend if you don’t put the effort into asking her out.”

The two have been friends since Sunny first introduced her in high school, Taeyeon had told me once upon a time. And she had a crush on her since then, saying that she was the prettiest girl with the best of something like that. My older sister was indeed a ert, but I guess I don’t blame her. Jessica does have a pretty nice body, but I’ve been trying to forget about that. I used to have a crush on her too. It was hard not to when Taeyeon always reminded me of her good points and especially since Jessica was always so affectionate to everyone she was close to.

It was fun seeing Taeyeon get jealous whenever she clinged onto me though. And she did get mad at me at first when I told her I liked Sica too, but when it went away, I told her instantly and she felt relieved.

Big sis always told me I was a lot prettier than her, but if only she knew how beautiful she was too, even if she didn’t have real eyebrows.

“Where’s Taengoo?” I heard her ask loudly. I glanced back to see the girl sitting alone, Sunny and Yoona tending to other customers.

“That’s your cue,” I pushed my sister outside the kitchen doors, “I’ll finish the damn sandwich and you should finally ask your dream girl out.”

Taeyeon just groaned as she was forced out of the kitchen and I watched amused as she waddled over to her.

Yoona walked over to the window to take her latest order.

“That Jessica girl is kind of scary,” she muttered, looking back at Jessica and Taeyeon talking. “She’s the one who did the interior design for this right?”

I nodded, glad that she remembered, “Sica’s not all too bad. Hey, by the way, wanna hang out after we close?”

Yoona frowned and I knew right away what the answer was. “I’m sorry Sooyoung, but I need to bring my girlfriend to the hospital and keep her company there.”

There she goes again about the hospital. I hope the other girl is okay? I wanted to ask her about it, but she said a quick goodbye as she went to deliver her latest order.

So many mysteries still revolving around my old best friend. But luckily, we have a lot of time to catch up now that she’s here in my life again. And I vow to never let her slip away again.

Closing time came faster than expected and I was surprised to see that Jessica was still tapping away at her laptop even during closing time. She had left for about an hour earlier but came back, this time asking for me. She said she had no work that day and wanted to admire her design and cheer us on. She then asked me questions about Yoona, and I clarified to her that yes, she was my childhood best friend.

I was relieved to hear her say that she liked her, and I could swear that I heard Yoona sigh in relief as well.

The five of us were the only ones left as we closed for our second official day.

“So how was that, Yoona?” Sunny asked as she and Yoona wiped down tables.

“It was really stressful,” Yoona answered honestly, “But a lot of fun as well. I’m really tired though from just one day of work.”

“Oh, you get used to it,” Sunny replied with a shrug, “We’re lucky that we’ve only gotten pleasant customers so far.”

Taeyeon and I were cleaning up the kitchen, and once we were done, we emerged and joined Jessica at her table as Yoona and Sunny threw out the garbage.

“You guys are doing pretty well for a new business,” Jessica complimented, “I was prepared to see it being deserted in here to be honest.”

I stuck my tongue out at Jessica while Taeyeon poked the girl, “You could have a little more faith in us, you know.”

“Maybe you just got lucky with the location,” Jessica continued to tease, raising her brow to challenge Taeyeon.

“Just spit it out why you’re here,” Sunny interrupted as she and Yoona made their way back in. “I know you have an ulterior motive, otherwise you’d be at home sleeping.”

Jessica’s eyes widened as if just being caught and I smiled at the expression that followed. She gave Sunny one of her unique, incredibly long frowns as she whined.

“Sunny, why don’t you think I’d be here to support my best friends?”

“You have cousin or relative or something who wants to work, don’t you?” Sunny continued, and with Jessica’s flinch we figured that she was right.

“Just give us his resume and we’ll get back to you,” Taeyeon said with a roll of her eyes, “And here I thought you actually wanted to visit us.”

“Of course I did,” Jessica cooed, cupping Taeyeon’s cheeks in her hands and squeezing her face, “That and I wanted to taste your delicious food and Youngie’s desserts! But you know, as a friend I really shouldn’t have to pay.”

I glanced over to see Yoona a little out of it. She looked like she was struggling to keep up with the conversation and I swore that she was even sweating a little.

It must be hard being stuck in a circle of friends who already knew each other so well.

Suddenly her phone went off and I watched her as she got up to answer it.

“I’m going to head off now,” she announced when she returned, “Hyunnie’s on her way then we’re heading over to the hospital.”

Everyone said their goodbyes and I walked her to the door. She looked at me and I looked at her with a slight wrinkle in my brow, a little worried as I contemplated asking her about Seohyun’s situation.

“We’ll talk about it some other time,” she mumbled, giving me a small smile, “We can have lunch on our day off and catch up then, alright?”

I nodded and pulled her into a tight hug, “We’ll be talking all day you know?” I said as I squeezed her. It’s ten years of catching up we have to do, and both of us know how much I talk.

“I know,” she replied with a light chuckle, “We have a lot to talk about.”

“We should go to a buffet or something,” she suggested with a toothy grin, “We always said when we were kids that we’d go to every buffet that existed on the planet, right?”

We laughed at our silly, childish dreams and I wanted to cry again upon hearing that she remembered such a promise. We said a lot of things when we were kids and I wondered if she remembered them all.

“You still a fan of noodles?” I asked, my laughter only beginning to calm down.

“A fan? I’d say that noodles are at least 80% of her diet,” another voice rung.

We turned around to see Seohyun smiling at us before bowing politely at me.

“It’s not my fault! I would’ve eaten a lot more things if you didn’t stop me from eating burgers,” Yoona pouted, a cute look that I haven’t seen her fashion since we were kids. She hardly ever showed her aegyo to anyone.

“That’s only one other food,” Seohyun retaliated with a sigh, “And definitely unhealthy.”

“But they were my second favourite food,” Yoona whined, pretending to sob. It was strange seeing this side of her. She was a lot friendlier and talkative when it was just Seohyun and I around. I guess she still isn’t used to Taeyeon and the others.

“I didn’t forbid you from eating them,” Seohyun said calmly, “I just suggested not to.”

“Hyunnie, you told me I’d die if I ate burgers!”

I burst into laughter upon that moment and I didn’t fail to notice Seohyun and Yoona looking at me strangely. They exchanged looks before laughing themselves, apparently finding my laughter contagious. I knew I should’ve stopped laughing soon, but something in me filled with so much joy, I couldn’t find the will to stop.