Chapter 1 - Anomaly

Asystole

ASYSTOLE



Chapter 1 - Anomaly

 

Jessica sat in front of a grand piano on a stage in an elegant rundown theatre hall.

She was playing the only song she knew with one hand, the song that Yuri taught her. And when she was done, she heard footsteps.

She turned her head to the aisle between the red audience seats where someone walking toward her.

"Eeteuk-oppa," she said.

Anxious, sadness and doubts were gathering. She stood up and faced Eeteuk. He smiled at her and she knew, he will be the death of her.

 

**


Jessica woke up in a white room. The smell of medicine and Lysol forced their way to her nose. She choked and coughed by them. She tried to raise her
left arm but it felt numb. She looked at her arm and found an IV line on her wrist. The line went up to a tube hung on an iron pole next to her.

Jessica frowned. She looked down to her body. She was wearing a blue pyjama and half of her body covered with a white blanket.

Jessica supported herself with her elbows and looked around. She realized that she woke up on a hospital bed. On her left, there was a wall with a
window leading outside. Jessica could see the blue sky.

Sky?

She was on the second floor. Jessica turned her head to her right to an empty bed. A few steps from the empty bed, was a small blue door.

Where am I?

Jessica found her belonging on a red brownish couch in front of her bed, a black bag, a pair of black boots, a coat, tee shirt, a striped patterned scarf
and her jeans.

Jessica rubbed her head.

What happened to me?

The door clicked open and girl with a long hair came in. She shrieked as soon as she saw Jessica.

"Unnie!"

The girl quickly ran to Jessica and hugged her. So tight, Jessica felt her insides were crushing.

"Seohyun?" Jessica softly pushed the girl back.

"Unnie?," her eyes were teary, "I thought I've lost you," the girl pushed her eyes with her palms as to prevent her tears to drop.

"What?" Jessica confused, "w? what happened to me?"

A tear escaped and came flowing down on Seohyun's cheek. She quickly wiped it and bit her lower lip.

"Hey, calm down," Jessica patted Seohyun's head. Seohyun looked so scared; whatever happened to Jessica must be terrible. Or so Jessica thought.

Seohyun took a deep breath and grabbed her unnie's hand, "you got stabbed."



**



Johyun was his name. He has been a doctor for more than twenty one years now. Her experiences and skills were portrayed so clearly on his balding
white hair. Though he was already in his fifties, he still had some muscles in him, the result from carrying patients from time to time.

Last night he was on his night shift when the hospital emergency room suddenly got busy when a girl with a hunter knife stab wound came in. Johyun
didn't even bat an eyelash as he tended to the long haired girl. He has done this before.

"Get me her blood type, she lost a lot of blood, she needs transfusion," he said while he tore up the bottom part of the girl's tee shirt.

The wound was enormous. It seemed like anybody who did this made sure that the girl will never see the sunrise anymore. Amazingly though, the girl
was still breathing and Johyun could see her eyes were staring at the ceiling, empty stares.

Johyun had a daughter exactly like her. So he reached out his hand and pressed his palm on the girl's forehead.

"I'll save you," he was confident and he meant every breath of it. This girl will live, he can save her, even if the girl might had some disabilities later on,
he will save her.

A tear dropped from the girl's eyes and fell down. That was when Johyun realized that the pupils of the girl illuminated. Like a fireflies, her eyes went
from dark brown to bright blue.

Seven hours since that happened; Johyun got a call from a nurse saying that there was something wrong with the girl. Jung Jessica was her name.

He saw a long haired girl in front of Jessica's room. She was on the phone but quickly hung up when she saw Johyun was coming.

"Doctor!" she said.

"Seohyun, yes?" Johyun remembered her. She was the first person the nurses could find on Jessica's phone contacts.

Seohyun nodded and opened the door for him. Inside, a nurse were holding Jessica's wrist, counting her pulse. Johyun smiled at the nurse and then
bowed a bit to Jessica. Jessica smiled and nod.

"Something's wrong," the nurse whispered to him, "the wound is gone."

"The wound is? what?" Johyun looked at the nurse.

The nurse touched Jessica's stomach and lifted her blue pyjama a bit, "excuse me."

It was surprising that there is no wound, only a white skin and, in Johyun's eyes, a beautiful belly button.

"Wha--," Johyun touched Jessica's stomach and rubbed it, didn't believe that the wound has gone.

Jessica giggled when the cold hand of the doctor touched her skin.

"Where did the--?" Johyun's hand went around Jessica's back.

"Um, Doc? It tickles," Jessica tried hard to hold her laughter.

"But last night was--," Johyun now used both hands.

"Ya!" Jessica kicked the doctor,"are you going to cope a feel!?"

Johyun was still in awe, "I'm sorry?."

Jessica looked at Seohyun. Seohyun had a confuse look too.

"Miss Jung, last night you were brought in on a gurney to my ER with a hole on your stomach about ten centimetres wide," Johyun explained, "I don't
understand."

"What?" Jessica raised an eyebrow.

But she was fine. She felt great. Just like how she feels every day.

"This is weird," Johyun mumbled.

"Tell me about it," Jessica chuckled, "but I'm fine and I'm?," she turned to Seohyun, "I'd like to go home."

Seohyun bit her lower lip again, a habit she developed quite recently when she's thinking.

"Could we run some tests? I mean, this is? you couldn't be?," Johyun seemed lost.

"Hyunnie!" Jessica glared at Seohyun.

"Okay? Doctor, my sister wants to go home?," Seohyun hesitated.


**



Jessica waited at a small bench in front of the reception desk, staring at Seohyun's back as she filled out some forms for Jessica.

Seohyun putted down her name, Seo Juhyun, on the payment receipt.

"Are you two sisters?" asked a nurse.

"Um, yes," Seohyun smiled.

The nurse tilted her head; she found it weird that Seohyun's family name and Jessica were different. But she decided to not ask further.

Seohyun finished filling the forms and returned them to the nurse with a smile. She bowed a bit before turning to Jessica.

"Unnie?" Seohyun ran to her unnie.

Jessica was clenching her teeth, one hand on her head, pulling her hair while another one gripped the side of the bench so hard. She was in pain.

She was seeing visions. A blue lights and an image of a man screaming in pain in a place she knew so well.

The hospital electricity suddenly went off. Seohyun held Jessica's hand and looked around.

What is happening?

Jessica gasped and the hospital lights came back on.

"Unnie, you okay? I mean, if you're still not feeling well yet maybe we shouldn't go home yet. You should stay here a bit longer," Seohyun looked
straight to Jessica's eyes, worried.

Jessica smiled.

"I'm fine. That was just?," she was not sure. "Hyunnie?."

"Yes?"

"Tell me what you know about last night."


_ to be continued