Excessive Use of Punctuation

What to Do and What Not to Do in Fanfictions

Excessive Use of Punctuation

 

An ellipsis only consists of three dots [ ... ]. However, if it is at the end of a question, the ellipsis is followed by a period, therefore making it 4 dots. 

No one wants to see this (prepare for a horrible example):

"The man looked above..............all he could see were three black silhouettes against the bright blue sky. 
When the man looked above he couldn't quite believe what he saw............"

Just stop stop STOP.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Three dots will do or at the end of sentences, four.

Seriously, isn't it easier to click the "." 3 times instead of seeing how many you can squeeze in a sentence without completely murdering it?

Instead, try something like this:

"The man looked above... all he could see were three black silhouettes against the bright blue sky. 
When the man looked above he couldn't quite believe what he saw...."

See, that wasn't hard... right? 

One way to have readers respect you and like your fanfics is by writing professionally.

Which ALSO includes (yes, this rant isn't over yet):

"What the hell is going on?!?!?!?!"

A question and exclamation mark will do just fine. Like I said before with the period, it is much easier to click it once or twice instead of several times especially when holding down the shift button.

I will end my rant here.

Thank you for reading.

 

-Rue