The Unspoken

The Unspoken

There he was standing, in front of his old desk, some loose rays invading the tiny room. It’s been such a long time since he last walked in this little cubic space that once was the only place he would feel safe and also, fulfilled. Here he sensed the most intense emotions and at the same time, here he dreamt, here he hoped, here he experienced and here he lived beautiful moments which will never be forgotten. Watching the surroundings, there wasn’t much change in the room. The desk, the bed, the wardrobe, even the painting hanging on the left wall, everything was the same. Hakyeon smiled unconsciously.

 

Glancing back, on the left side of the desk a notebook was resting peacefully under a puffy blanket of dust. Noticing it, he struggled. He thought he threw it or burned it, but it was still in the same spot just like 7 years ago. In that notebook was written his life basically, and he named it “the unspoken”, even if it was just a simple diary of the teenager him. His past, was all there, scribbled with a thin black ink.

 

Hakyeon started to feel his body shaking and hands sweating. Grabbing the notebook, he carefully opened it and started reading.

 

Monday, September 5th, 2005

Today I started highschool. The first day evolved pretty well, not how I expected to be honest. My new classmates are really friendly! All of them are nice kids, really, and our English teacher is the homeroom teacher. His name is Jung Taekwoon, I think we’ll get along given that he’s only 28 years old. Highschool will be awesome!

 

Monday, September 12th, 2005

A week passed and guess what, I made a friend! Jaehwan, but he wants us to call him Ken. Why Ken? Because he comes from Great Britain, he lived there since the age of 4 and now he moved back in Korea. He explained to me that he got used to the name Ken, so it’ll be easier if we call him that way. We ate together our lunch and I discovered that he’s awfully smart! I think I’m jealous, but just a little. Not to mention that he’s very good looking as well! All the girls are trying to hit on him, like seriously. But that just give us reasons to laugh, because some of the girls are hilarious, sending him love letters and cooking pancakes for him. I’m not surprised anyway, he’s a guy worth fighting for.

 

Hakyeon tries to calm down his heartbeat which has gone crazy at the sight of Ken’s name. He thinks about not reading anymore, but after a few seconds of hesitation, he decides to continue.

 

Friday, September 30th, 2005

So, September came to an end. My school life is the same continuous wake up, go to school, come home, do the homework and sleep. Nothing interesting happened yet and this makes me worried, kind of. At least I have Ken, if it wasn’t for him and his extremely funny jokes and behaviour, I would’ve been bored as hell a long time ago.

 

His lips curl a little, a sad yet proud smile forming. 3 pages, 5 pages, 11 pages, and so on...

 

Wednesday, October 12th, 2005

Today I’ve been in a mini-excursion with the class. We visited the local library and Jung teacher told us many interesting things about Great Britain and English language (which of course, Ken already knew). After that, Ken started helping me with my English and we practised together for a few hours. He’s so nice, being friends with him brings up so much joy in my life, I won’t survive a day without his presence, seriously.

 

At the last sentence, Hakyeon’s heart skipped a beat. Barely being able to hold his tears, they eventually started falling. He thought about Ken, his friend, he thought about the time they spent together, he thought about how beautiful Ken’s smile and how sparkling his eyes were everytime he sang. He remembered Ken’s habit of blinking when he’s nervous and he remembered Ken’s warm hands carefully tapping Hakyeon’s hair whenever he pronounced English words correctly. After painfully removing the drops of salty water on his face, Hakyeon looked at the notebook and again, started reading.

 

Sunday, December 25th, 2005

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! I spent my day with Ken and his family. We ate a lot of delicious food and sang many carols. We both are pretty good at singing and his parents told us we should form a band or something. They are kind people, his dad is just as funny as Ken and his mother is very pretty! Now I believe in the idiom "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree", in Ken's case, that’s totally true! They're a great, loving family, he's so lucky.

 

Hakyeon’s eyes saddened. There were only a few pages left… Only a few.

 

Sunday, January 1st, 2006

A new year has begun! Ken stayed with me this weekend. We played video games and watched a few good movies. Also, we told each other our New Year’s Resolution. Mine was to spend more time with my family and improve my school grades. His… Well, he didn’t actually make a resolution. It was more like a wish. He said he wants to be healthy this year. And, I want that too, with all my heart.

 

“I want to be healthy. This year, I want to become a strong and healthy person, for you, Hakyeon”

“You’re strong enough, Ken. Remember that I’m here for you no matter what, I will help you get healthy, trust me!” says Hakyeon while giving Ken a warm smile.

“Thank you hyung, really. I don’t know what I would do without you. You’re the one who’s giving me strength!” Ken returns the smile, a forced one this time, then they hug while tears start running through their oh so delicate faces.

 

Bitter, hopeless and desperate tears, Hakyeon remembers. Slowly, the memories which have been stolen by the blowing wind, came back. Ken was suffering, and Hakyeon tried his best to make him forget about all the pain. “He will get better, he needs to get better.” was all that Hakyeon could think of at that time. But irremediably, that was the last moment they spent together. The next day… Ken died.

 

Four months were too little, way too little… Their end wasn’t supposed to happen that soon. Their end, wasn’t supposed to happen, ever.

On the last page of “the unspoken”, there was a polaroid with the two of them. And on it, Ken’s writing could be recognized.

“Hyung, there’s a place I want to go - I call it future. But, if I can’t reach it, promise me you will!”