all in a day's work

all in a day's work

Heechul groaned when the warm body he'd wrapped himself around started edging away.

 

"Come back," he muttered, squinting in the sunlight that peeked from between haphazardly closed curtains.

 

Kyuhyun chuckled and only leaned back in to press a quick kiss to Heechul's cheek, straightening up before he could pull him back into the warm cocoon of sleep.

 

He heard the shower turn on a moment later and briefly entertained the idea of joining Kyuhyun, but the room was cold and the bed was warm and comfortable and he was so, so tired. He yawned into the pillow. 

 

 

When he woke up again it was to the glorious aroma of strong, black coffee. Kyuhyun was sitting on the edge of the bed, holding two large mugs.

 

"I love you," he croaked sincerely, wrapping his hands around a steaming mug. Kyuhyun smiled and Heechul still thought that was the best sight to properly wake up to. Personally, he'd never met anyone with a nicer smile.

 

He never told Kyuhyun that. He just sipped the scalding coffee in silence and watched. 

 

Kyuhyun was curled up on the couch with his laptop by the time he made it to the living room of their apartment, mostly dressed.

 

"You've been upsetting people again," Kyuhyun remarked mildly. Heechul smiled. Ah, good. He was still trawling the news websites. He'd found it was best to separate him from his laptop before any games could be started up and he was useless conversation the rest of the day. He waved Kyuhyun's comment away.

 

"That's my job," he said, dumping cereal into a bowl before joining Kyuhyun on the couch.

 

"I thought your job was to run the country."

 

"Darling, you're a journalist. You should know better. Or did they surgically remove your cynicism while I was gone?"

 

Kyuhyun snorted, but put his laptop to the side, leaning his head on Heechul's shoulder.

 

"Just optimistic, I guess."

 

"Anyway," Heechul continued, pressing a quick kiss to soft warm curls. "I need to entertain myself somehow when you're not around. And Choi Siwon hovered around me like an old woman all evening, making sure I didn't get drunk and kiss half the people in the room. It was boring as ."

 

Kyuhyun laughed at this and Heechul grinned.

 

Siwon had made it his life mission to try and keep Heechul from marching himself straight through the gates of Hell, or whatever it was he suspected Heechul of doing. Heechul was, in any case, glad he hadn't started paying attention to his advice on kissing strangers ("don't do it") until after that time he kissed the cute, wide eyed reporter smack on the mouth in the men's room of some event or other.

 

"Come with me next time." He poked Kyuhyun in the side with the back of his spoon. Kyuhyun sighed and batted it away.

 

"You can't simply take your boyfriend to government events."

 

"Why not? It'd be fun." Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes at him but he'd known Kyuhyun long enough; he enjoyed watching the twitch at the corner of his mouth as he tried not to smile. Heechul shrugged.

 

"We could always pretend you're not."

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes.

 

"Please. I know you. You'd tell absolutely everyone and their grandmother. As well as any available cameras."

 

"I would never. After all," he continued in the face of Kyuhyun's scepticism, "why tell them when it'd be so much more fun to show them. You at trying not to laugh, by the way."

 

Kyuhyun shoved him.

 

"I don't know why they leave you in charge of anything," he griped. "You always have the worst ideas."

 

"Mind your language, Kyu," Heechul admonished. He put his empty breakfast dish on the table so he could wrap his arms around his lover and sneak a kiss. "You mean the best ideas. It would upset them so deliciously. You like it when I upset people."

 

"I always tell you I want you to stop it," Kyuhyun protested.

 

"Yeah, you do lie quite a lot," Heechul agreed. "You might want to do something about that. Or go into politics yourself, of course."

 

Kyuhyun tipped his head back with laughter. Heechul leaned in to nuzzle the pale throat.

 

"I'm still tired. We should go back to bed," he murmured against warm skin.

 

"I have a lot of work to do this weekend," Kyuhyun said although he didn't seem to feel like extracting himself from Heechul's embrace. He was pretty sure that was half the battle won right there.

 

"Next time you really should come with me."

 

"So I'd be tired enough to spent the whole Saturday in bed with you? I'm pretty sure there are more straightforward ways to get into my pants."

 

"Oh, I don't know. We could start early. I have fond memories of that men's room."

 

Kyuhyun snorted.

 

"Like I said, worst ideas."

 

"You love them."

 

"That doesn't redeem them. I just make really bad life decisions."

 

"Oh, really?" Heechul hummed in appreciation and manouevred Kyuhyun underneath him. "I like the sound of that."

 

The bed would have been his first choice, but when all was said and done, they did have quite a comfortable couch. Spending the whole day on the couch didn't sound bad at all. And after all, life, much like his job, was all about compromises.

 

 

("What compromises? You always get exactly what you want," Kyuhyun protested.

 

"Sssh.")