The 100th Letter

The 100th Letter

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

The sun shines brightly from the outside as Yerin, Son Yerin to be exact slides the curtain opened from the insides of their room. Yes, theirs. Him and Kris. Their room. That they shared all their feelings for each other. That they laughed at each other’s jokes when one’s talked it out. That they cried on each other’s shoulder when one’s felt like their life is not worth it. But it does. It’s worth their life when they are together. When they’re both together, everything is perfect. Nothing can hold them back, nothing. Even with those slight problems, one can handle them at most. People might misunderstand them as lovers. Might misunderstand them as being in love. But this is how they are from the start. Best friends.

 

Yerin slides the window opened and let the fresh morning air in as she inhaled it slowly before exhaling them just as the same motions as she did earlier.

 

“Good morning world,” Yerin whispered to no one in particular but the world as she looked up at the bright sky.

 

“And good morning baby,” and she shivered when those husky voice of his whispered into her ears; his manly hands and arms wrapping around her waist from behind. So tightly wrapped but not as tight that he could actually hurt her. So warm that even she, herself wouldn’t want those hands and arms to let go of her. Ever. Her smile widens when she felt a slight peck on her shoulder afterwards. This is her life, this is his life, and this is their life. Haven’t anyone noticed how happy they are right now? Haven’t destiny felt like, yes, this is good enough and they should be left alone? And haven’t any of these two felt like, yes, you’re my happiness from the very start that I don’t want anyone else?

 

No actually. No one noticed how even those tightly held hands or hugs may unclasped itself because of one’s selfishness. No one noticed how one can changed from the slightest chance of having to achieve one’s dream. No one noticed how destiny decides to interfere with that happiness with desire. No one. And by the time one’s noticed, one had already been gone. Not around any longer.

 

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

 

‘To a student that goes by the name Son Yerin, please go to the principal’s office right away.’

 

Those announcements were heard all over the school. Kris looked up at the speaker on the left hand side of the room and clenched his fist tightly. If there’s an announcement like that, it can only mean bad things. No one that got out of the principal’s room would be happy and all beaming. No one, Kris repeats. No one ever got out of there with happy news. Not for those who felt like their life isn’t worth it. But, Kris thought to himself. Yerin’s life is worth it because hey, he’s there. He’s there for her and they always say to themselves that their life is worth it because the both of them are together. Kris lets go of his knuckles slowly and sighed in relief with bits of tension, for now. He’ll just have to wait. Right?

 

Yerin’s POV

 

I knocked on the door softly but clearly for the person insides to hear the slight sound.

 

“Come in,” the slight adult voice came from the insides as I grabbed the knobs and turns them slightly before pushing the door opened slowly. Coming to the principal’s room is my first time. I’ve heard rumors about how students that goes into this room never gets out of them happily, instead one’s face can tell the whole story to another. I walked into the room before closing the door and making my way to the front of the principal’s desk and bows to him 90 degree straight. I heard the principal’s low chuckles and shivered from the sound of it. It doesn’t really sound like a happy chuckles but rather a satisfying and scary ones at the same time.

 

“So you’re student named Son Yerin?” I got up from my bows and nods slightly indicating that I am the one he mentioned. “Well Son Yerin, I have some news to tell you.” My head tilts its way slightly. News? I don’t know if I want to hear them or not. I’m not sure if that news will be a great thing to me or not. I’m not sure if that news will break one’s heart and heals another. I’m not sure if that news will make us more perfect than we are or not.

 

“Don’t worry. It’s not a bad thing. You haven’t done any of those anyway so don’t worry, you’ll be the first student to get out of this room maybe jumping up and down or laughing with your friends afterwards?” The principal nods his head firmly before showing me a document. I stared at it suspiciously before looking back at him. “Well, pick it up and read it. I’m sure you know how to read that right? Or did you forget those languages because you’re too focusing on music notes?” The principal lets out a small laugh and taps his fingers on the table impatiently. I picked up the documents and read the title, ‘Music student’s scholarship program’. Everything went blank. Scholarship? I scanned the paper more downwards and saw my name. Only my name alone.

 

Son Yerin, piano course bachelor student.

 

Me? My name? Why? How? When this does even happen? Why my name? And the important question here is, why me? The principal takes off his glasses and sighed in relief. “Now that you know what you’re dealing with, I’m going to have to give you the truth now. You’re chosen by them and you can’t back off Yerin. All of your things are already packed by your parents last night and they’re now outside, waiting for you to bring yourself to the airport. I know this is sudden but the date is officially today and the time of the flight is an hour from now. So you should go. I’m not sorry about how this goes because I gave you chance, 3 days. And you weren’t in schools. Your parents called your phone and home phone and even emailed you but no response. That’s it. Go now.”

 

What? Now? All of those times in the world and now? That’s just ridiculous. I haven’t even told any goodbyes to Kris yet. I haven’t even kissed him goodbye. I haven’t even…

 

Wait, are you agreeing with goodbyes? For what? Your dream Yerin?

 

My tears trailed down my cheeks and I can’t mutter anything out of my mouth. I can’t. I couldn’t lift my feet up from here. And that’s when the principal called out for help and there came two bulky men, one that suddenly carries me out on his shoulder while the other holds onto my legs so I wouldn’t struggle. He doesn’t have to. I didn’t struggle anyway.

 

I just let them.

 

I let them…

 

How could I?

 

END OF POV

 

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

 

Kris strolled down the hallway with his heavy feet. 4 year now. And she’s still not here. Fiddling with the soft white material that’s close in with all his heart and his writing. His 99th letter. Today is his 99th letter. The last letter he will ever have to send to her locker today. The last letter before he goes. The last letter before everything starts to lose its memories and time.

 

He walked to the front of the locker that’s not a stranger to him anymore. Not a stranger to him. As he opened the locker, there it was, the piles up of his letters were stacked up nicely. 98 letters to be exact. 98 letters of what he had been feeling, the story of his life, the one that he wants to tell her. The ones that he had been pouring his feelings out. The one where he filled them with love, where he knows that every drop of tears that he wrote the letter that everything is going to be worth it at the end. Worth it.

 

“Kris,” someone called his name after he put in his 99th letter inside looking at the man beside him with his weak eyes, his pale lips parting to say some words to the man but none came out. “Are you still on the letters? It’s been four years now, she’s not coming back Kris.”

 

“Lies,” was what comes out from Kris’s mouth, weak whispers yet visible to the ears. “She was force to leave Tao. She was force to. Not by her own will. That headmaster has to just steal her away from me, my precious best friend.” His hands forming to a knuckle punching the locker in front of him.

 

Kris held his head up to stop himself from crying, from letting the tears fall down his cheeks. To stop himself from thinking that, she loves her studies more than him. That hurts a lot. And his head is hurting a lot. And he felt his body getting weak, as the limps on his body weakens more and everything went black.

 

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

 

Looking around her old school brings back memories as Son Yerin stood in front of the school’s gate. Finally she’s back from her studies in New York after 2 years of being there. She missed this. School. Korea. Life. And her lover, Kris. Ex-lover to be exact if ever she did remember on leaving him without any goodbye. That she left without any trace of contact and communication. How cruel of she. That she decides to take a step back from Kris and take a step front to her studies. Everything was still the same. She wondered if ever her locker was occupied by someone else.

 

She strolled down the hallway, arriving at the front of her locker and nothing changes. Only a sign showing, ‘No one is allowed to touch this.’ This handwriting, she knows well of who. Kris. Her heart stings in pain as she opens the locker by the hand and there she saw one letter inside. One letter that says ‘The 99th letter.’ And she took that letter home full with curiosity.

 

Arriving home, Yerin immediately tears open the letter and starts reading them, slumping her petite body down the sofa.

 

“For the last time, I will ask you this question and I swear I will never ask it again. Why you leave me without saying goodbye? You never know how much I miss you. I want to tell you something important but I will write again. When I reach 100th letter, I will never wrote to you again. Thank you for bearing with my letters. You know I have no one to tell my secret except you, my best friend. I hope… I can… I’m able… to write again. To you. By: the one who got left. ”

 

And she didn’t noticed the way her tears was falling down her cheeks, the way her voice cracks up with sobbing. The way she’s filled with curiosity of the words ‘Thank you for bearing with my letters’ when she received none other than this.

 

This feels so wrong and her feelings and instincts tell her to starts finding Kris now before it’s too late. Before it’s too late. She remembered having her old friends’ number hoping that one of them didn’t change their number in those four years. Yerin spent two days calling everyone that she might know and that might know Kris, sleeping is not one of her options now. Finding Kris is her priority now. She has something to tell him to. Yerin stumbled by the name Tao in her phone and starts calling him. Hoping that the Tao she’s calling is the Tao that knows of Kris and his where about.

 

‘Hello? Is this Tao? Do you know a guy by the name Kris? Please this is really important.’

 

The line went silence at first but comes the voice of someone she knows of as well. ‘Meet me at the café near our former school tomorrow. You deserve to know even when you left him without any goodbyes.’

 

The line was cut off and Yerin didn’t get her sleep as well that night.

 

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

 

“Please tell me where Kris is Tao… I need to know. I need to tell him something important.” Tao glanced at the girl in front of him, dark circles visible than his.

 

“Kris is no longer here Yerin. He’s no longer here in this world. No longer here with us.” Tao’s voice cracks up as he delivered the shocking message to her. “He suffered brain tumor a year after you left. We found him unconscious on the ground while writing your letters.”

 

Yerin couldn’t believe what Tao had been saying to her. Can’t believe that the person she had been in love with is dead. Her best friend. And she didn’t even had the chance to tell him how much she loves her. Her tears can’t stop falling down her cheeks as she looked at Tao who’s trying to hold his tears in as well.

 

“You’re j-joking right?”

 

“I won’t ever joke of something that relates to my best friend. And… here is his 100th letter to you…” Tao gives the letter to her and he left wiping his tears away, Yerin saw that.

 

With trembling hands, she took the letter and starts opening them up slowly wiping her tears away whilst doing it.

 

“Dear Son Yerin, my best friend. That’s all we’ll ever be right? You might be wondering where the other letters were gone to right? I asked Tao to take the 98 letters from your locker and burn them with my body when I died so I’m sorry if you didn’t get to see the rest of them. This one, I’m writing with all my heart and last energy before I go. I have something to tell you. I should have told you before. Son Yerin, I love you. I love you so much. Always have and always will love you. I was scared to tell this to you before even when our relationships were so close but I feel like you’ll get far away when I do tell you. I’m sorry. I love you. Goodbye my love, my best friend. I’ll miss you so much. From your best friend that loves you, Kris.”

 

And Yerin whispered in the soft air, “I love you as well Kris. Always had been in love.”

 

Yerin felt as if the wind had whispered to her, “I love you too so much. Goodbye.”

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]

 

Author's note : I think I failed this so bad, I'm so sorry. Thank you for reading and commenting as well ^^ !

 

Comments and opinions as mostly appreciated <3 ~

 

[]=[]=[]=[]=[]