Guide

My faint light

Here is Namil. This has been Saemi’s home since she was born. Since the day she could remember. She breathed in slowly the morning fresh air. How she loved this fresh feeling. Her lips twitched into a small smile. The smile that melts one heart.

“Saemi.” Sehun placed his hands in his pockets. “It’s breezy out here. You should come inside before you catch a cold.” Sehun placed his jacket over Saemi’s shoulder and wrapped his hands around her waist. Saemi chuckled and inhaled the fresh air again. “As long as you’re here to warm me up. I’m all great.” She gave him her cheesy smile. The happy couple exchanged meaningful smiles.

“How was the visit to the doctor?” Sehun’s question stopped Saemi’s heart. She kept her silence and breathed heavily. “Yeah the doctor said I was okay though.  I was just tired of work.”  She smiled bitterly trying to convince him her words. “I guess so, you do look tired.”  Sehun pulled her hands slowly. “Let’s go inside. You need some rest.”

Saemi glanced towards the stunning scenery. As Sehun pulled her hands, her thoughts wandered about the checkup with Doctor Song. Sometimes, Saemi’s vision will became blurry and she had some serious headache. With Sehun’s advice she went to the doctor. And she was not happy at all with the results.

“I’m sorry Ms. Park. I need you to go to the hospital tomorrow for further checkup.” Doctor Song flipped the papers that were clipped on the file with a serious expression.

“What’s wrong?” Saemi nervously rubbed her thumbs together. “Doctor, tell me.” Saemi urged him.  Doctor Song sighed heavily and took off his spectacles. “We suspect you have this very rare disease. Usually the elders had this. But you seemed to be… unfortunate.” His words trailed off. How was he going to continue this. How can he tell this young girl in front of him that she is losing her vision. That one day her world will just turn into a total pitch black?

“I’ll prepare dinner for today. Just lay down and sleep. I’ll wake you up when it’s time.” Sehun smiled and his eyes turned into crescent moon. He gently covered Saemi’s body with the blanket and kissed her forehead.

Sehun took one last glance at his sleeping beauty and went to kitchen. He wore an apron and took out some utensils to cook. He decided to cook western today since that’s what he’s best at.

Saemi poked her food while watching her steak motionlessly. “Aren’t you going to eat?” Sehun felt a little bit of pain inside seeing how Saemi seemed to not appreciate his efforts for her. “Are you sure you’re okay?” He gently slipped his hands into Saemi’s hands looking into her eyes with a concerned expression.

Feeling guilty, Saemi took a bite of the steak and chewed it slowly. The steak tastes wonderful. But she just couldn’t enjoy it. The other man who is uneasy by her actions called her name. “Saemi-ah.”

That’s it. Saemi could felt her eyes were stinging. She hung her head low trying to hide her tears. She felt she totally had died. She’s nothing. What’s the point of living? Her world will turn into darkness.

Sehun who noticed her tears immediately rose up from his seat and wiped her tears. “Why are you crying?” Since there was no respond from Saemi, Sehun knew she needed time to calm herself. Sehun wrapped his hands around her shoulder and patted her back gently. “There. There. Let it all out.” He whispered.

Saemi burst into tears and let out all of it. She buried herself into his arms. She hated how weak she is right now. She hoped to be stronger. But she just couldn’t.  Her severe headache came again and her vision turned blurry. Is this because of the sudden outburst or he disease came back? She wasn’t sure. But it hurts her a lot. But why does this time everything gets dimmer?

 

❋❋❋

 

Sehun had been staring at his girl’s angel sleeping face and had been with her all night long. She passed out last night. He rushed her to the hospital and find out she was referred here. She was confirmed to be-    losing her vision

Soon.

He didn’t know what to do honestly. She must be hurting a lot. And he decided to treasure every moment. He want every second of her last daylight to be beautiful. And he wanted them to stay in her memory. He yawned and glanced the digital clock at the bedside table. It was 4:37 A.M. He placed his head on the comfortable bed and drifted into his sleep.

Saemi lifted her heavy eyelids slowly. She touched her head. The pain was still there. But it wasn’t that bad. She scanned the room. Her vision is blurry right now. She was really turning blind. She saw a figure beside her bed. Even with a blurry vision she still recognize who it was. It was him. Sehun.

Sehun woke up finding a smiling Saemi studying his face. Sehun rubbed his eyes slowly and yawned softly. “Silly, go and wash your face.” Saemi giggled and messed Sehun’s hair.

Her giggle was a soft melody to his ear. That just made him lazier. “5 more minutes.” Sehun got up and snuggled beside Saemin on her bed. “How childish.” Saemi chuckled and pulled Sehun’s nose softly.

“Get up.” Saemi frowned and crossed her arms. Sehun chuckled and kissed the top of her nose. “You’re so cute when you’re angry.” Sehun smirked playfully. Saemi who got used to his morning habits just simply rolled her eyes. Actually, inside she’s happy with his morning habits.

“Take care!” Saemi waved towards some random nurses while she’s walking out from the hospital. Some nurse giggled and her bright personality. Sehun beside her simply shook his head. He wondered if the bright personality and the optimistic Saemi will still be with her even if she’ll become blind? He hoped so.

Sehun guided Saemi towards the river near their school. They both sat by the riverbank and lost into their own thoughts. Saemi still remember when they was still in Namil High. It was a precious memory. How much drama her life had been here. She chuckled softly. Her attention went to Sehun. He seemed to be in his own tiny world. Saemi remember when Sehun confessed to her when they were in high school. How the cold hearted Sehun stand nervously in front of her and confessed his feelings. He was so cute back then. How her friends used to have detention with her. These are the memories that she will cherish.

Saemi stood and dusted her skirt. “Come on, let’s go back home.” She held out her hands towards Sehun. Sehun simply reached for her hand and they went home walking arm to arm while laughing about the bittersweet memories of high school.

 

❋❋❋

 

Three months had passed. Saemi’s vision became more blurry. But she was happy. Because she had Sehun by her side. Sehun always treated her like she was a princess. Sehun always guide her everywhere. Sehun went to Braille class with her. Sehun was always with her. She didn’t know how to repay him. He was too precious for her. Saemi was used to not using her sight much. She’s used to close her eyes and count steps to wherever she went. She’s used to darkness.

Honestly, darkness isn’t that scary that she thought it would be. Because Sehun had always been that tiny light that will always be with her. ‘Till her last breath. Saemi smiled on how corny she was at that moment and lay down on her bed.

Sehun knocked the door and went inside.Sehun jumped on the bed and let out a loud, heavy, tired sigh. “Hectic day at work?” Saemi massaged his forehead. Sehun nodded softly and closed his eyes.

 

❋❋❋

 

“Saemi-ah.” Sehun called her name. They have just ate dinner together. “Hhhm?” Saemi who was revising her Braille faced him. Sehun kneeled and held out a ring box. “I know I should’ve been asked you this a long time ago. But, will you marry me?”

Saemi went speechless. Isn’t her answer was obvious? She nodded with teary eyes and hugged Sehun. Sehun smiled softly and slid the ring to her finger. The ring fitted perfectly. Sehun kissed the top of her palm and held her hands tightly. Locking their fingers together, he vowed to never let her go. He will guide her in her darkness. He will stay by her side. He will do anything for her.