5 - When The Dream Becomes A Reality

My Brother's Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She wrapped her arms seductively around his neck. “Jae…I’ve waited so long for this.” Softly Dara began to nuzzle his cheek, his ear, his hair.

Jaejoong held her tightly, feeling her heart pounding through the soft white satin blouse she wore. “I didn’t know you felt this way about me,” he whispered, kissing her forehead. “And you smell so good. Is it Blue Grass?”

Dara nodded, “Yes baby,” she purred, leaning against him. “You’re so brilliant, Jae. I love the way you stocked those coffee beans. All color coded and everything.”

“You’re so beautiful, Angel.” His hands smoothed her hair back from her perfect face. “I knew you’d notice.”

Dara’s lips curved into an alluring smile. “I love you, Jae. Just you, Jae. Jae. Jae…”

“Jae!”

He sat up like he’d been branded with a hot iron. “What!” ! It was just a dream.

Dara clapped her hand over his mouth. “Shhh!” She pointed out the front window. “Look!”

Still half asleep, Jaejoong gazed out the front window. Standing in front of the car were a giant buck and a small doe, illuminated in a shaft of moonlight. The buck’s body was huge and powerful looking, his antlers firm and majestic. The doe was smaller and more gentle looking. They weren’t too close, about 3 feet away – but close enough for Jaejoong to see the soft, short brown hairs that covered their bodies and the wet early morning dew that dampened their hooves.

The buck’s giant front hoof pawed through the layer of leaves and dirt, moving in a small circle. The doe stood close by his side, her hoof moving too but not as much. When the buck found something to eat, he rubbed against the doe, as if to say, “I’ll wait for you to eat.”

Dara let out a small gasp. “He’s letting her go first.”

Jaejoong nodded in the semi-darkness, still reeling from the dream he’d been in few moments before. “I just can’t believe how big they are.”

After scavenging for a few minutes, the deer moved down to the small stream. Their heads bent in unison as they drank.

“I wish we could get a picture of this,” Dara whispered. “They’re so beautiful.” She reached down slowly, trying not to startle the deer with her movement. “I think my phone camera’s in my tote bag…”

“It wouldn’t come out, I don’t think,” Jaejoong whispered back. “It’s too dark. And the flash would probably…”

Suddenly the deer looked straight at the car meeting Jaejoong and Dara’s shocked gaze. After several seconds they turned and fled into the night.

It was as if they’d never been there at all.

“Wow.” Jaejoong shook his head. “That was pretty cool.”

“It was like they were trying to tell us something!” Dara said excitedly. “Did you see the way they looked at us? They looked so peaceful.”

**

After seeing the deer, falling asleep was impossible. Jaejoong was too wound up. He could tell Dara felt the same way.

“They were just so awesome,” said Dara.

“They were,” Jaejoong agreed. “See? Spending the night out here has its advantages.”

Dara smiled at him. “This might sound crazy, but seeing them looking for food made me realize that I’m starving!”

“Welcome to the club,” Jaejoong said with mock cheerfulness. “My stomach’s been rumbling for the past hour and half.”

He rummaged through the paper bags that littered his car. The food inventory was not the greatest: leftover McDonald’s apple pie, several soggy fries, a brown-spotted banana, an ice diluted cup of Coke, and a half a bottle of warm mineral water.

“So you go to SMU like Kris, right?” Dara asked, giving a droopy fries a critical once-over.

Jaejoong tossed an empty cd case back into the holder. “Yes, both Kris and I. I’m double-major taking up Psychology and Education. This is my last year before real life begins.” He liked kids, and the idea of making a difference in the world, clichéd as it might be, appealed to him.

“That’s really nice. Do you get along with Kris?” Dara inquired.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter