Happiness

Happiness
 
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon jerked awake as soon as her alarm clock rang. Her right hand reaches out to halt it’s ringing. She sat at her bed, befuddled for a moment. She pushes her hair back and massaged her scalp lightly. It is her usual habit after she wakes up. Wandering hands would wrap themselves around her waist. A soft, husky voice would then beg her to return to sleep.
 
 
 
 
“Forget work, Tae. Stay with me.”
 
 
 
 
To which TaeYeon would sigh and force herself out of bed, not before leaving a kiss on her lover’s forehead and lips. However, there are times when TaeYeon gives in, much to her lover’s delight. TaeYeon eventually got out of bed after returning to her senses. She inhales deeply when she parts her curtain and opens the window. Her neighbor waves to her from his yard and TaeYeon waves back sleepily.
 
 
 
 
“Today is the day, yes?” He says and TaeYeon smiled brighter.
 
 
 
 
“Yea, I can’t wait.”
 
 
 
 
And her neighbor laughs before returning to his task of gardening. TaeYeon stood there for a moment. Excitement filled her and she could not help her grin from widening. The water in the pool glittered under the morning sun. Her lover had always loved swimming.
 
 
 
 
**
 
 
 
 
“Hey, Taeng.” Her assistant manager slash best friend greets her from behind the counter.
 
 
 
 
SooYoung tosses her a package.
 
 
 
 
“Here are the new designs that came in today, make your decision before you leave.” SooYoung ordered and TaeYeon nods in return.
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon opened the package and found a bundle of cloth rolled up neatly. They were square fabrics made as samples for the aprons TaeYeon wanted for her new café. There were about five of them and TaeYeon made sure she had looked through them thoroughly. It was hard to choose which was her favorite design, the designer she had hired is just too brilliant. SooYoung, who had just cleaned the counter came by her side with two mugs of coffee.
 
 
 
 
“I personally like this one.” SooYoung touched one of the samples briefly.
 
 
 
 
“Hm, me too, but I really like this too.” TaeYeon showed SooYoung the one she is currently holding.
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon blew at her coffee as soon as SooYoung passed her a mug. TaeYeon’s coffee is zero in sugar and milk. TaeYeon had always loved her coffee black and bitter. Her lover always cringes at her choice. The door bell rang suddenly, signaling the two friends of a new comer.
 
 
 
 
“Hey, morning. I’m not too late now, am I?” One of TaeYeon’s employee asked as she entered the café.
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon glances at her wrist watch and shook her head.
 
 
 
 
“You’re too early today, Tiffany.” TaeYeon laughs lightly.
 
 
 
 
Tiffany shrugged and went into the break room to change into her uniform.
 
 
 
 
“It’s close to opening time, let’s put this aside for a moment, maybe we can ask the others what they think.” SooYoung suggested and TaeYeon agreed.
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon left SooYoung to roll up the fabrics while she brought her coffee into her office. Coming to the café in her uniform saved her a lot of time. She soon hears the usual bustle of her employees greeting each other and joking around. Her phone buzzed as soon as she placed it on the table. It was a message from another country. She grins at the contact name and smiled softly at the message before sending a reply. She cracks her neck and fisted her hands.
 
 
 
 
“All right, another day serving the best coffee in America! Let’s do this!” TaeYeon said with vigor before exiting her office.
 
 
 
 
It was another busy day in the café with lesser to no mistakes from her newly hired employees. The employees who had been with her from Korea to America did perfectly well and TaeYeon could not be anymore satisfied with the way her café business is expanding. One day, she would spread her business around the world. America was just a start and it had been going extremely well for the past few years. Her lover would have been expressing her pride in TaeYeon’s achievements right now.
 
 
 
 
**
 
 
 
 
“TaeYeon, I thought you were supposed to leave at six?” Her employee asked as TaeYeon was cleaning one of the tables with a rag.
 
 
 
 
“Six? Why?” TaeYeon asked in confusion.
 
 
 
 
“You said you had to pick up someone from the airport.” Amber, a blonde-head whom TaeYeon hired a month ago said.
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon looks at her blankly for a moment. Her eyes widened at a sudden realization.
 
 
 
 
“You’re right! Oh God, how could I forget?” TaeYeon gasped, wildly tosses the rag to Amber who was balancing a tray full of cups with one hand.
 
 
 
 
“SeoHyun! Did you call the florist?” TaeYeon barged into the break room, surprising everyone in there.
 
 
 
 
“Ah, yes, I think it’s ready now.” SeoHyun calmly answers.
 
 
 
 
“Good,” TaeYeon rushes out of the room before hurrying back in again, “Where’s SooYoung?”
 
 
 
 
“In the office, going through today’s income.” Tiffany helps.
 
 
 
 
“Thanks, and uh, clean up after the café closes, don’t forget to lock the doors and make sure the security alarm is on and uh-”
 
 
 
 
“We get it, Tae, we will make sure the refrigerator is on.” Krystal, the youngest in the crew said with a small giggle.
 
 
 
 
“Yes, and please tell your sister how thankful I am for her designs, see you all tomorrow!” TaeYeon waves and rushes to her office where SooYoung is.
 
 
 
 
SooYoung almost burst out in laughter at TaeYeon’s disheveled self.
 
 
 
 
“I know, I know, leave everything to me.” SooYoung said simply when TaeYeon was about to open to speak.
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon smiled slightly.
 
 
 
 
“Thanks.”
 
 
 
 
“Just drive safely and look at yourself in the mirror before you go and see her.” SooYoung waved it off as she bit at the tip of her pen, her focus on the sheet of paper in front of her.
 
 
 
 
**
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon almost ran a red light getting to the florist. Her order had already come in as SeoHyun has said. The bouquet is now in TaeYeon’s possession as she lightly placed them on the passenger seat. Soon, she was burning tires to get to the airport. At the airport, the plane TaeYeon was looking for had just landed. TaeYeon sighed in relief as the plane number blinked in red on the television screen that hung above. TaeYeon finds herself craning her neck to look for her desired person. In the crowd of tall Americans, TaeYeon finds it extremely hard to find her. She decided to bend a little to peek in between a man’s parted legs. She grew excited when she saw a black luggage, decorated with stickers rolling behind a woman in skinny jeans.
 
 
 
 
The woman seems to be looking as well. TaeYeon pushes past the people and stumbled right in front of her. The woman now smiled brightly at her quirky arrival.
 
 
 
 
“Tae, I can’t…” Tears started rolling down her face.
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon bit her lower lip. Two years has been too long. She took a step forward and hugged her lover. For two years, she waited. And after two years, she is finally in the arms of her lover, her YoonA. TaeYeon squeaked in surprise when she finds herself getting lifted up. YoonA had lifted her off her feet.
 
 
 
 
“I’m so happy to see you again.” YoonA said in between tears, “Tae, I missed you so much.”
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon nodded and sobbed.
 
 
 
 
“I missed you too.” And she buries her face in YoonA’s neck.
 
 
 
 
Oh, how she missed YoonA and her tall height. Her lanky frame and her kisses. YoonA finally places her back onto the ground. It was then, that YoonA kisses her deeply, whispers, ‘I love you’ and kisses her again and again until TaeYeon blushed a deep red.
 
 
 
 
**
 
 
 
 
“I hope my English is good.” YoonA worried a little as she held TaeYeon’s hand and swung them playfully.
 
 
 
 
TaeYeon is now leading them to her car where a surprise is waiting.
 
 
 
 
“I can always help you.” TaeYeon giggles lightly and tiptoes slightly to kiss YoonA’s cheek.
 
 
 
 
YoonA grins bashfully at the kiss. Long period without intimacy with TaeYeon has made her feel shy.
 
 
 
 
“Here, let me get that.” TaeYeon offered as she carries YoonA’s luggage with a grunt.
 
 
 
 
YoonA laughs lightly and watch as TaeYeon struggles slightly with the weight. Making sure that TaeYeon is all right, YoonA proceeds to open the car door, only to stare down at the bouquet that occupied the seat.
 
 
 
 
“Tae, is this…?”
 
 
 
 
“I love you.”
 
 
 
 
YoonA could only kiss TaeYeon again. Too many words to say and so YoonA wraps them up in a kiss instead. TaeYeon was excited to show YoonA her new home. YoonA watched in amusement and surprise as TaeYeon went from one room to another, showing YoonA her bookshelves and everything that is worth showing.
 
 
 
 
“And lastly,” TaeYeon slides open the door that leads to the back yard. “The pool that I have always promised you.”
 
 
 
 
YoonA inhales deeply and finds the words she wants to say stuck at . TaeYeon looks up at her and was proud of herself. Hard work really does pay off. YoonA soon turns to her and kisses her with so much love, TaeYeon could have melted into a puddle. The kiss grew deeper and TaeYeon would have drove YoonA to her new café if she had not allowed YoonA’s hands to slid down her and to her rear. Oh, the café could wait till tomorrow. Tonight, TaeYeon wants to spend it with her YoonA.