Chapter 03 - Changes

Ballet Slippers

 

As soon as you and Dongwoon got to your apartment door, he let go of your hand and gave you your bag back. You unlocked the door and hurried down the hall to your room so you could strip down.

“Dongwoon! Get me an outfit!!” You yelled out, closing the bathroom door and jumping into the shower.

When you got out of the bathroom, towel wrapped tightly around you, Dongwoon pointed to your clothes and left for the kitchen. As you slipped into the dress he set out, you could hear him rummaging through your refrigerator.

“You need more yogurt!” he called back. His voice was muffled as though he was already eating something.

“Get out of my fridge!!” You replied with a laugh, coming into the kitchen while looking down at your stilettos. They were new and you wanted to make sure they fit right.

Laughing, Dongwoon threw your last yogurt cup away and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “Alright, alright. Let’s go now, before Jingu decides to go home.”

-

Twenty minutes later, you and Dongwoon were at the club looking around for Jingu.

As soon as you spotted her, you remembered that you two weren’t really on the best terms at the moment and you wondered why she even agreed to come out tonight. Shrugging your shoulders, you followed Dongwoon over to her booth and sat down, staring at the closest glass of alcohol in front of you but not picking it up.

Dongwoon and Jingu drank as you watched and thought about the Company. There was no way that the role of the city’s Junhyung wouldn’t be given to Hyunseung. If he was going to be Junhyung, then you just had to be Boyoung, right? You’d already been with the Company for three years and had never gotten the chance to be the face. If you became the face of the Company and scored the role of Boyoung, then maybe, just maybe Hyunseung would notice you, too, right? Then you’d finally be able to confess the past few years and maybe he would accept your confession.

“Yah.” Jingu hit you on the arm. “Why aren’t you drinking?” she asked, breaking you from your thoughts of Hyunseung.

“Hmm?” You looked up at her and Dongwoon, who had also stopped drinking to hear your answer. “Oh, I just wanted to take my time,” you told them before grabbing a drink and taking a sip.

Jingu gave you a pointed look that told you she knew what you were thinking. That you were still thinking about Hyunseung for no reason and that you needed to confess already.

“Why sip at it? Just drink it down,” she told you.

Dongwoon frowned and held onto your drink, pulling it from your mouth as you went to chug it. “Are you stressing over the Boyoung role?” he asked, taking your drink completely.

“Yes, that’s it. I just have that on my mind,” you answered, smiling at them both.

Jingu rolled her eyes and grabbed another drink, decidedly done with the conversation. Dongwoon leaned over the table, closer to you.

“You can do it, you know,” he whispered to you before he pulled away and raised his glass in a toast. “To Fiction and Fact!”

You and Jingu both repeated him and clinked your glasses against his, breaking out into laughter after Jingu tried to chug her drink and ended up spilling it all over her chin.

Maybe you really could do it and get the role. You decided that you would try and would stop thinking about Hyunseung for awhile.

Dongwoon and Jingu noticed, poking you in the shoulders and saying things like “I guess she’s better now,” and “let’s hit the dance floor!”

-

The next day, you decided to go in early and start practicing harder.

The director nodded to you as you walked past his office and to the lockers. After changing, you stuffed your two extra sets of practice tights and your street clothes into your locket before picking your gallon water jug off of the floor and heading to the studio.

Clearing your head, you practiced. You made sure your movements were strict when need be, but graceful throughout. You didn’t take more than two breaks a day and you stayed an hour or two past normal practice times.

On the third day of your new practice schedule, right before practice was over, Jingu spoke to you again.

“I know what you’re doing and I fully support your dream, but you need to take breaks more often. You don’t want to hurt yourself.”

You thanked her and she left. All of the other girls had already left too.

“Maybe I’ll only stay another hour tonight, I’ll go home early and get some sleep,” you told yourself as you positioned yourself in the middle of the studio again.

As soon as you started to move, you knew something was wrong. You turned the wrong way and felt your ankle give out. The floor came up hard and fast, but you made sure to land so you didn’t hurt yourself further.

“Ouch,” you mumbled as you pulled your leg up so you could inspect your ankle. It wasn’t swollen yet, but it was already tingeing red in the beginnings of a bruise.

You weren’t ready to pack up for the night, so you limped to the hall and got some ice, taping it to your ankle before you continued to practice.

After another hour, you packed up and went home, collapsing into a tired heap on the couch.

-

I might as well...post them as soon as I finish them? Enjoy.