First Friend

Life [on hiatus until further notice]

  “Run this by me again. This thing is part of the Shadow, and you’re taking her in.” He stated flatly, fingers pressed against his temples.

  Says the vampire named Kim Sunggyu.

  “Um, yes. And she’s not a thing. Her name’s Someone.” Sungyeol fidgeted nervously. At the rate he’s going I’m worried he’ll bite off all his fingernails.

  “You’re unbelievable. Whatever her name is, I don’t care. Know why? Because she’s going to kill us all, whether she means it or not!” I flinched. It may have been true, but I wished this vampire would at least hear my side of the story. Did he think I actually wanted to bring death everywhere I went?

   Yes, the answer was yes. 

  It was yes as Sunggyu threw his hands up and stormed into Sungyeol and his shared room. Sungyeol glanced apologetically at me and motioned awkwardly towards said room, before getting up from the couch and heading where Sunggyu was.

  Why was Sunggyu reacting so strongly to me, I didn’t know, but one thing I was sure of was that we weren’t going to get along. Nope. Not a chance.

  Sungyeol had let himself in and what I assumed to be a screaming contest was occurring inside their room. I didn’t want to hear anymore. My heart squeezed painfully and my throat closed uncomfortably.

  Quietly, I slipped out of the apartment’s front door and blinked in the bright glare of the dawn.

  The dawn. A symbol of a new start; a new day. I was getting a fresh chance at living like people, but I could never really fit in, could I? Even as I walked down the streets, heads turned and stared at me, as if the oversized t-shirt and baggy track pants Sungyeol lent me were interesting to them.

  All I want is to be normal, live like a human being, in this strange yet beautiful world. Is that too much to ask?

  Even in this world, I didn’t belong. My heart squeezed tighter and my vision went blurry. What am I feeling?

  Half-blind, I stumbled until I felt a contrast between the hard rocky path I had been walking on and the softness currently beneath my bare feet. I blinked the fuzziness away and was rewarded with the most beautiful sight besides today’s sunrise.

  Water tinkled softly in the distance, the grass swayed gently, and the flowers were in full bloom. In other words, the meadow looked like paradise.

  Intrigued, I wandered into the trees, illuminated by the bright sunlight until I discovered the hidden creek. I felt a lifting feeling inside my heart and gently sat down on the soft grass beside the stream.

  Yet, when my bottom touched the grass, the fishes in the creek noticed me, and fled as if the devil himself were after them, and in a sense, he, or actually she, was. The melancholy returned. This body contained such strong emotions.

With a start, I realised I was sad; an unfamiliar emotion to me.

  Even the fishes hated me.

  “What’s a pretty girl like you looking so sad for?”

  A boyish voice echoed melodiously from behind me. Afraid that my voice would shatter the peace and serenity, I kept silent, until I heard the rustling of the grass beside me.

  I turned, and was rewarded with a beauty that rivalled even the majesty of the creek.

  His long bangs fell perfectly in dark waves, partially obscuring his big, chocolate brown eyes that were framed with eyelashes that brushed against his cheeks every time he blinked. His skin was as pale and smooth as marble and his pink lips quirked up at the ends, lifting his cheekbones in the very epitome of perfection.

  My eyes involuntarily widened and I blurted out “Why do you care?” Nice introduction, Someone.

  It was his turn to look surprised.

  “You… can see me?”

 Um, I’m guessing since you know, I’m looking at you now, it’s a yes. I frowned in confusion at his words and squinted closer at him, and saw through him.

  He was translucent.

  “You’re a spirit?” I asked softly, staring into his large eyes. He sighed and smiled ruefully before answering my obvious question.

  “Yes. I’m Sungjong. Lee Sungjong.” His smile turned bitter for only the slightest second, but I caught it.  “I’ve been a spirit for seven years, but I’m actually fifteen.”

  “Mind explaining why you can see me?”

  I hesitated, wondering whether he’d believe me, and as if he could read my mind, Sungjong took my hands into his icy cold ones.

  “Whatever you say, I won’t doubt it. There’s something about you,” he whispered. “Something tells me you’re just like me; you’re afraid you don’t belong.”

  I gasped. The one thing I had been feeling had been blatantly spelled out by a spirit who I barely knew, but instead of feeling completely exposed, I felt closer to Sungjong than I should, so I spilled.

  Everything from feeling tired of being trapped inside my own body to how alone I had felt came tumbling out of my lips like a tidal wave, and all through my confession Sungjong listened intently, never once interrupting or judging me. All through my confession he had one the most concentrated and understanding faces I was sure I couldn’t see anywhere else.

  When I was finally done, Sungjong didn’t say a single word. Instead, he surprised me by pulling me into his chilly arms. As I sat motionless, stunned, he whispered in my ear something that only I heard.

  “Be my friend.”

  I pulled back abruptly. He knew that I was just about equivalent to the incarnate of death and he wanted me to be his friend? I had expected him to run away screaming, and with this sudden twist of events I wasn’t sure whether I should laugh or cry, not that I knew how to do either, but I digress.

  “You don’t have a proper name, right?” Sungjong beamed a thousand watt smile at me, and for no reason I felt heat rush to my cheeks. Instinctively, I pressed the palms of my hands to my warm cheeks and the watching Sungjong burst into laughter, causing more heat to flush to said area.

  “What? Why are you laughing at me? And why are my cheeks so hot?”

  “It’s because, silly,” Sungjong managed through his laughter, “you’re blushing, which means you like me!”

  “I… I do not like you, Lee Sungjong!” I stood up indignantly, but my cheeks, if it was even possible, became even hotter. I bit back a smile and impulsively my heel and stormed off.

  “Sure you don’t,” Sungjong chuckled from behind me, and called “Sung I hyun annyeong!” A sudden gust of wind blew past me, and I started.

  I spun around, but my new friend was gone with the wind. For some reason though, I knew that Sungjong would be there when I needed him, so I smiled widely, turned away, and as I left the creek, I whispered so softly that no one else could hear.

  “Bye, Sungjong.”

                                                                            ---

 

  “And what exactly were you doing while we were out looking for you, your highness?”

   I bit my tongue. It was partially my fault for leaving without telling anyone, but sassing me?

  “Scheming on how to destroy us all?” Sunggyu snapped, crossing his arms over his chest. I cringed. Ouch. That hurt.

  “I wasn’t scheming. I was exploring.” I stared down at the road between us. I had been on the way back to Sungyeol and Sunggyu’s apartment when I bumped (unfortunately) into Sunggyu, who had been chewed out by Sungyeol and forced to look for me.

  “Oh, really?” He snorted and rearranged his features into a hard scowl. “Because you have me thinking otherwise.”

  Yes Mr. Vampire, I was exploring, so stop making that face of yours.

    I felt my heart squeeze painfully and my brows furrow on their own accord. My insides felt like they were on fire, and I opened my mouth to snap back at him, when I spotted a head of brown hair coming closer and closer.

  The boy approaching had full, pink lips curved downwards in distaste. As my eyes travelled upwards, they landed upon eyes as brown as Sungjong’s. There was a clear difference though; Sungjong’s eyes were warm, while this boy’s were cold. Icy cold, but even then, his face was breathtaking.

  I held my breath as he turned and bored his hard eyes into mine. From the corner of my eyes I saw Sunggyu stiffen, but at this point I couldn’t care less. If anyone asked my name at this current point of time, I probably wouldn’t have been able to answer coherently.

  My heart was beating twice as fast as it should, and the pair of cold eyes held me captive for the few seconds they pierced into my soul, but not in the way I would have liked.

  His gaze told me, you shouldn’t be here.

  The boy broke the tension, looking away darkly and sweeping past me, his shoulders brushing past mine for the most fleeting of moments, before someone had me by the wrist and was half-dragging me down the street, away from the mysterious boy, but it was too late.

  I was intrigued, and I wanted to know who he was; why he had stared, no, glared at me like that and why he looked so cold.

  Yet, if I knew how hung over him I’d be, I would never had laid eyes on him. I would have let him pass, let him become nothing but another stranger, but even as I thought that, my heart gave another little squeeze, and somehow I was glad.

  Glad that I hadn’t looked away.

  Heat rushed to my cheeks in the way I was becoming too familiar with. I was blushing.

  My eyes widened and Sunggyu’s death grip on my wrist barely seemed to register in my head. Sungjong’s words echoed in my head.

  Did I like that boy? 

 

It's me again! You know what, it's kinda ironic. Life , but then again it doesn't (hopefully). Get it? I'm weird like that, I know... -_- Also, what do you guise think? I personally LOVEDDDDDDDDDDDDD it. SOOOO MUCHHHHH. U guise see that ijong (omg wtf) there? 

Anywayssss, I'm just curious, anyone here's an angel? *casually raises hand* and and and Rocking came out today? and and and ASDFGHJKL OMG IDK ANYOMRE OMG OMG OMG L.JOE CHUNJI no im not biased

/shot/

Charismahamsterjjang OUT cold