Chapter 1

My Angel

Disguised in human form, the angel roamed around the city trying to do the simplest form of a miracle, to help people. With walking around the city one could do a lot of these simplest miracles. Good deeds to another individual are these simplest miracles.

And even just smiling or a greeting can be considered a miracle. One reason is that with one smile or greeting, one can lighten up the person’s day or life.

Irin walked around park with a smile on her face. It was a good day. She looked around and the place looked perfectly fine. She watched as two kids played with a ball and guessed they were playing Catch. The younger tossed the ball but the older one was not able to catch it. The older one followed where the ball had rolled, the road.

The boy was oblivious to the fast moving truck that was coming on his way. As if a natural habit, she ran towards the boy, bumping to people through the process and shouting sorry while at it. The boy was still far away from her and her human feet couldn’t carry her faster.

Spreading her wings was out of the question. It would certainly cause chaos to the humans. She tried her best but her chances were minimal especially if she was bound in human form. That kid cannot just die yet.

Before she could save the kid, there was a man who had helped the kid first. It was a middle aged man.

Panting, Irin stared at him as he returned the kid to his mother. The mother was really thankful to him. The man bid them farewell after telling them to be cautious.

He then turned to Irin and said, “I know you would have been the one to save the kid if you were nearer. I couldn’t have notice it if I hadn’t seen you panicking. You are a good kid,”

All Irin could do then was smile. And the man smiled back. They went on their own ways. The man was headed to somewhere he had to be while Irin was going up a building. Happiness ran through her veins. Unbelievably, there are still good people around.

With that, she decided she should go back. She reached the very top of the building. She closed her eyes as she felt the wind caress her face. In a split second, she spread out her wings. The feathers, layer upon layer, were silky smooth and as white as snow. Her wings gleamed as the light of the sun shone over her.

And so she flew. She was ready to tell the story to the other angels but there was one tiny glitch.

She couldn’t fly high enough.

Irin went crashing back to the ground, confused.

So she called an archangel for help.

“Hide your wings again and look at your pendant,” the archangel’s voice said. Irin did what he had said. When they disguise their selves in human form, their wings turn into a pendant with feathers. . Each feather is thus valuable as each feather holds the key in going back to heaven.

She was astonished at what she had seen.

“You’re losing a feather, find it!” he then instructed her. “But how?”

“The pendant will help you,” the archangel’s voice slowly faded away, leaving Irin with the only choice.

True to the archangel’s words, the pendant had helped her find her way. After a long time of walking, it had led her to a hospital then outside a specific room. She hesitatingly knocked on the door but after a while someone opened it for her. Surprisingly, it was the man was the same man who helped the kid before.

“Oh? It’s you again. Is there something I can help you?” the man asked. “I’m sorry, it’s just that I lost this feather that is in my pendant, I was just hoping that you have seen it,” Irin spoke as she showed him the pendant. The man smiled then nods his head. “So it’s really yours?  I was calling you but you didn’t look back,” he said.

He then smiled and let her in. “I’m sorry but I don’t think I can return it to you right now,” the man said with a sad smile. “My son saw it and he held on to it tightly. He... He’s really is a fan of angels so he likes things that will remind him of an angel,” the man continued. Irin thought for a while.

Maybe it’s not too bad to stay in a human form for a little more, right?

But she was having second thoughts. She knew something would happen if she stays longer.

“Is there something bothering you?” the man asked as he had noticed the troubled expression on the young girl’s face.

“Oh, uhm… Well, I know we’ve just met but I was wondering… if I could stay here for a little while. I don’t have a place to stay in,” Irin said.

Surprisingly, the man smiled and nodded.

Irin thanked the man and asked why his son was in the hospital.

“My son is always here. He has a heart disease,” the man said, looking down.

“Oh, don’t worry. I know soon he’ll be better. Just believe in God,” she cheered him on. “We believe in God. Thank you,” he said.

“I’m Irin by the way and you are, Mister?” she said, reaching out her hand. “You can call me Mr. Lu” he answered. “Lu? You’re Chinese?” I asked. “Yes. Yes, I am. By the way, why don’t you have anywhere to stay in?” he asked. “That’s because … I don’t have money to pay for hotels,” she answered, grinning sheepishly.

“I will look after your child if you want!” I suggested. The man, Mr. Lu, thought about it a little then smiled. He agreed with my Idea and told me he really needed someone to accompany him since they were the only ones here in Korea and the rest of the family was in China.

“Excuse me, I’ll take my leave first. I have to go to my work. I’ll see you later. If he wakes up tell him that I have to go and you can get your feather,” he said as he wore his blazer and went out of the room.

Maybe I should really be staying here, to guard this family.

Irin looked at the child. He looked like one of the angels. Yes, an angel but oddly he also resembled a deer. A very cute deer, indeed. She found herself smiling. Inside her mind, she had guessed the boy would be 13 or 14. And it lead her to wonder what her age was. Her age, her human age... she actually did not know and still don’t. But all she was certain about was she was older than this boy.

The boy woke up. But his next actions confused Irin. As soon as he opened his eyes, they grew wide. He immediately sat up and moved away as far as he could from the latter, his back hitting the headboard. He gulped. “W-who... are you?” he stuttered.

“Hello! My name name is Irin. Your father wanted me to tell you that he had to go. Work might be the reason,” she spoke and smiled. The boy just nodded and looked outside the window as silence filled the room.

“Oh, by the way, I’ll be your helper for the night,” she spoke again, breaking the silence shortly while smiling at him once more and folded the blanket left on the couch.

He looked back at her, confused. “Helper? But I don’t need one. I’m strong enough!” he answered back.

Irin placed down the blanket and walked to him. “Yes, you’re mentally strong... emotionally even,” she said. “No, I’m strong enough. I can take care of myself,” he argued back.

“Unfortunately for you, that’s not what I heard. You might be strong... in so many aspects but not physically. To begin with, if you are strong enough, why are you in the hospital? And your father had also told me that you’re always here,”

The boy had a shade of pink on his cheeks which made Irin giggle.

“ Anyway, if you don’t need a helper, I can be your friend then,” she shrugged with a smile before turning back to the blanket that wasn’t completely folded.

As she finished folding the blanket, she noticed the boy looking outside the window. He sighed once in a while which made Irin think of an idea. She went out of the room but the boy remained staring outside.

After a while, Irin came back with a wheel chair. “What’s that for?” he asked her. “I told you. I can be your friend and a friend won’t let another friend get bored. So, do you want to go outside?” she asked with a cheerful smile as she pushed the wheel chair towards the bed.

The boy sighed before sitting up. “I might as well try, right?” he asked her. “What?” she asked back, confused. “Being friends,” he smiled.

Irin smiled at him as she nodded.

 

Under the shade of the tree, there sat Irin and the boy. The boy stared at the sky and the clouds that slowly moved. “I wonder what’s the feeling being up there,” he spoke. “It’s beautiful,” Irin looked up to the sky.

“Yeah, I bet it is,” the boy looked at her and smiled. “My name is Luhan,” the boy reached out his hand to Irin. Irin remembered she wasn’t able to get his name a while ago.

“Hello, Luhan,” she said as she shook his hand.

 

The night came and Luhan was having his dinner when his father has returned. “Hi, Dad,” Luhan greeted him. “How are you feeling?” his father asked. “Well. Fine, I guess,” Luhan answered. “Where’s Irin?” his father asked again. Luhan was about to answer when Irin came out of the bathroom.

“Oh, good evening, Mr. Lu,” Irin greeted.

“May I have a word with you outside?” he asked. “Yes, of course,” Irin answered as they both went out. Luhan stared at the door, wondering.

“You took my son outside,” Mr. Lu spoke.

“I’m sorry, is he not allowed to do that?” Irin asked him.

Irin somehow regretted her past actions as she looked at the man’s expression but to her surprise, the man suddenly broke into uncontrollable sobs and hugged her.

Her hands slowly reached the man’s back and patted him. “Is there something wrong, sir?” she asked.

The man broke the hug and exhaled heavily, wiping the tears on his face. “It has been long since he had agreed to get out of the room. Thank you, Irin,” the man smiled.

“You’re welcome,” Irin smiled back.

They went back inside. Luhan looked at them and noticed his father’s red nose and eyes. “Dad, did you cry?” he asked his father. “No, son. Those are sweat in my eyes,” the father quickly said before rushing into the bathroom.

Irin chuckled while Luhan was still confused.