End

Dear Child

Everything was fine and Yoseob and I were getting closer day by day. Days became weeks. Weeks became months. That was until I didn’t see him at the usual place one day. I just got back from work and it wasn’t even 10pm yet. I was about to turn to the usual seat at the park but from far I didn’t see Yoseob. I looked around the park for awhile thinking that he might change where he sat. I didn’t find him anywhere. Maybe his dad finally took him home early.

 

The next day I went to the park after work again. It has become a routine for me. There it is again. An empty seat.

 

Everytime I went to the park, I’ll end up disappointed. Even on weekends, Yoseob was not there. I even sat at the bench during weekends until about noon, assuming he might be late or something.

 

I let out a heavy sigh as I scroll through the pictures I have with him in my phone. I smiled at the memory when Yoseob was so amazed by the self-camera function. He was so happy seeing his own face on my phone screen. Well maybe his dad had finally realised that it was bad leaving Yoseob there for the whole day. Maybe he’s spending more time with Yoseob or letting him stay at home at least. I was thinking positive and thinking how happy Yoseob is right now being able to spend more time at home with his father.

 

That didn’t stop me from stopping by the park everyday though. But instead of going home disappointed when I see an empty seat, I was happy thinking that Yoseob is safe at home and probably spending more time with his family.

 

 

I just finished a meeting and was going for lunch. Well it has passed lunchtime actually. I was walking across the big space where at the sides were tall company buildings are, when I saw someone familiar. I actually had to think twice, thrice, four times to remember who he was. It was only until I was about to walk passed him that I remember who he was.

 

I stopped infront of him and he looked up.

 

“Erm hello. You’re.. Yoseob’s father, right? I’m Yong Junhyung,” I said, holding out my hand for a handshake. He didn’t shake my hand but instead looked at me curiously.

 

“You know Yoseob?” he asked.

 

I placed my hand awkwardly by my side and smiled. “Yes. I’m his friend. We’ve met before, when you were taking Yoseob from the park.”

 

His face changed slightly. I can’t really read the expression, but it changed. He looked away and said nothing.

 

“Erm, can I know, why did Yoseob stop going to the park? I know its not really my business but that’s like the only place I can meet him,” I said politely.

 

He pursed his lip and looked up at me. “Do you have time Junhyung-ssi?”

 

“Oh? Y-yeah..” I said, slightly shocked at the question.

 

“Then I have something to tell you. Can we talk over coffee?” he said. I nodded and we went to a café nearby. Since I hadn’t ate anything yet, I ordered my coffee along with a simple cake. That should hold my hunger for awhile.

 

Yoseob’s father took a few sips of his coffee, stared at his fingers and took another few sips of his coffee again. I just waited, as I took small bites of my cake.

 

“Junhyung-ssi, since you’re Yoseob’s friend, you do realised that he’s…different, right?” he started.

 

By different I think he meant Yoseob is like child when he’s not? I nodded.

 

“Since he’s different, he… he doesn’t really have much time left,” he continued. I frowned.

 

“It’s like a disease that caused no pain. Yoseob didn’t feel any pain. He doesn’t need any medicine. He just.. didn’t have much time left.”

 

“Don’t have much time left?” I didn’t want to say it but I had to. “He’s dying?”

 

The elder man bit his lip lightly, looking down. He was breathing deeply and I swore I saw a drop of tear on the table.

 

“Sir? Yoseob is still around.. right?” I asked carefully, part of me not wanting to know the answer.

 

“Yoseob.. passed away a month ago. When he stopped going to the park,” he said, wiping a tear that was threatening to fall, with the back of his hand.

 

The answer that I didn’t want to hear is finally out. The fact is out. Out in the reality. I could feel a big sob about to come out from me but then my anger suddenly went gushing inside my heart.

 

“You knew Yoseob didn’t have much time left. And you still left him there? At the park all alone?? You still prioritise your work before him??” I said, raising my voice slightly.

 

He looked up at me, shocked at my sudden outburst. He regained his composure and spoke. “You don’t understand.”

 

“I don’t understand?? Fine I don’t know about your life. But the fact that you know your son is like that and leave him alone outside, it pretty much says what kind of father you are.”

 

I was about to stop and let him answer when I remembered something. “And you ing tore his drawing book! His drawing book that he loved so much. There was even a drawing of you! Yes, its not some kind of masterpiece but he took the effort to draw you, to remember you, when you on the other hand just cared about your work!” I pointed accussingly at him. It was lucky that we were at the outer area of the café or we’ll most probably be chased out.

 

“Don’t you dare say I don’t care about my son! I care about Yoseob. I really do. But I don’t know how to handle him okay?? When my wife was still around, she was the only one that took care of Yoseob. I just had to work and provide food and shelter for my family. I don’t know how to handle kids. I don’t know how to take care of them. I admit that. When my wife died, I was at a lost. I don’t know what to do! But I do care about Yoseob!” he retorted, breathing hard.

 

“You don’t know what to do so you left him there? You don’t know what to do so you tore his book? Seriously? Are you retarded?” I said, raising an eyebrow.

 

He sighed heavily, trying to stay calm. “I don’t want him to get hurt at home when I’m working. So I left him there. At least he would stay at one place and wouldn’t get hurt. I didn’t mean to tear his book. I even bought him a new one but when I wanted to give him, I saw that he already had a new one. I was tired. You don’t know how it felt like when you’re already tired and had a stressful day at work and when you come home you had to entertain a small kid. You don’t know, Junhyung-ssi.”

 

I scoffed. “You don’t want him to get hurt? So you trust the strangers around the park more than you trust your own son to be careful at home? I don’t know? No. You are the one who doesn’t know anything. I was there with Yoseob everyday. When I came back from work, I sat with him until you came to fetch him. When I’m stressed at work or had a tiring day, the moment I sit together with him, all my stress and tiredness are gone. His smiles, his laughter, it made me feel happier.. lighter.”

 

“He’s like a child but he’s not stupid. When I’m tired, he told me to sleep. He would understand if you tell him nicely. He wouldn’t pester you to play with him. If you didn’t want to see his drawing, you could have just told him that you were tired and that you would see it after you rest. Yoseob is a good child. He understands. But you didn’t try to understand him. You didn’t make the effort to be closer to him.” Tears started streaming down my cheeks as I thought about Yoseob all over again.

 

I my dry lips as I looked away and wiped my tears. By the look of his face, I could tell he was regreting everything he did. But it was just too late.

 

After a few moments of silence, I spoke. “How did he die?”

 

“In his sleep. He died peacefully,” he said softly, nodding almost to himself.

 

“Can I know where his grave is?” I asked. He wrote some directions on a piece of serviette and gave it to me.

 

I just nodded. I stood up, leaving my half eaten cake and took my iced coffee. I stood beside him, placing my hand on his shoulder.

 

“Thank you for telling me,” I said and left the place.


 

The end! If you know the movie, its a little bit like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Except that Yoseob's looks grows along with his age. Just his mind and thinking didn't. Just to make one thing clear, Yoseob is not autistic. And its inspired by an old man that I saw everyday like how Junhyung saw Yoseob. But unlike him, I didn't dare to go and ask. So yeah! Hope you guys enjoyed this two-shot ^___^

(Sorry if it didn't make sense or the ending is not to your expectations)