smiley face

smiley face

The first time Luhan found a note was on a cold, winter day.

He walked out of the public library, eager to read the book trapped between his gloved hands. It was the fifth part of the series he was reading. It wasn't surprising to his friends that he would finish a series that consisted of half a dozen books in a week or so. And it wasn't surprising that Luhan would ignore them all while he was doing so.

The minute he entered his apartment, Luhan kicked his shoes off and bolted towards his room. He plopped down on the bed, his mattress bouncing at the sudden impact, and gently pushed the cover open. The scent of old paper hit his nose and he squealed in delight (in a manly way, of course. He was clearly fanboying
).

He almost drooled at the heavenly words that the book bestowed upon him.

An hour later, despite having curled into his heavy blanket and tucking his feet by his , Luhan still felt cold. But the book was too good and he couldn't care less. He turned to the next page, briefly wondering if he left his heater on before he headed to the library, when a piece of folded paper caught his attention.

Luhan remembered gritting his teeth because he hated how some readers would leave crap inside a piece of literature. Good literature, too. He had pushed open the note, eyes hard. His eyes abruptly softened as he read the piece of paper and a corner of his lips quirked up.

This part is really good. I liked it a lot.
What about you? Are you reading this
series? Isn't it good? If you haven't, you
should read the whole series.
It's worth it. Check out the 
Z series. I'm reading it next. :)

A weird note. Oddly cute, but extremely peculiar. Luhan kept the note, not really knowing why, and he continued to read the book until his eyes couldn't handle staying open. He finished the book before he fell asleep, but all he could remember was the part that the note highlighted.

The next note he found was in the first book of the Z series that the unnamed person recommended. The Z series was, indeed, good and fascinating. He was surprised that the unknown person seemed to know what types of books he liked.

I'm hoping you read my note from the
H series. I didn't see my note in there, so
maybe you have it? Well, this series is good
so far. I wish you can reply back to me.
Maybe we have the same tastes in books. I'm on
the second book now. I'll leave a note there too.
Enjoy the book (and my note hopefully) :)

Luhan found himself smiling at the end of the note. It would be nice to talk to this mysterious person. He or she appeared to have nice tastes in literature, and he was certain that he could become good friends with them. None of his friends were interested in literature like him. Kai and Lay, for example, were into dancing. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were into singing. Kris was into business. He couldn't talk (fanboy) about his favorite books with his friends because they didn't share the same hobbies.

He sighed. It would be really nice to have a book buddy. But how would he talk to his anonymous acquaintance? Luhan ran his fingers through his hair, heart beating fast as he devised a plan to talk to this . . . smiley face person. For now, Luhan had decided, I'm calling you Smiley Face.

"You're ing crazy," Baekhyun had told him, snatching his snacks from his hands.

"Like you're not," Kyungsoo defended for Luhan. He had later told Luhan that it was cute and romantic. That perhaps he should be mysterious too and woo a girl that way. (Kai began ing about it, so Kyungsoo dropped the idea.)

"So . . . uh, you're going to talk to Smiley Face?" Kris had asked, a little uncertainly a few months ago.

"Yup," Luhan nodded his head, taking his snacks back from Baekhyun.

"How?"

"Well, I'll just slip a note into the book Smiley Face is going to read next," Luhan had informed them, expecting high-fives and congratulations (or maybe wow, that's great)--but he didn't get any. With the exception of Kyungsoo.

"I support," was what Kyungsoo said, clapping his hands and smiling proudly at Luhan. In all honesty, only Lay and Kyungsoo would support something like this. (Where's Lay when you need that extra moral support, damn it.) And only Luhan would be able to think about these things.

"That's so . . ." Kai started, not knowing what to say.

"But what if Smiley Face doesn't get the note? What if another person borrows the book before Smiley Face?" Baekhyun had asked, all serious.

"If you want to do it," Kris told him, thoughtfully munching on some chips. "You should do it now."

"Are you going to wait for Smiley Face?" Baekhyun carried on with his difficult questions. (He's just worried about you, Lay told him later after hearing the story from Luhan.)

"I don't know how Smiley Face looks like, okay," Luhan sighed, leaning back on the sofa. "If you weren't listening ten minutes ago, Smiley Face only gave me notes. Plus," he added as an afterthought, "I don't think I'm ready to actually see Smiley Face yet."

"So you're considering?" Kyungsoo had asked.

"What if Smiley Face is a ? Or a murderer?" Baekhyun asked, nearly shaking Luhan's shoulders. "What then, huh?"

"Calm the down, Baek," laughed Kai, shaking his head. "Luhan is manly, and he can take on people. Did you see him that time when he got angry?"

"The time where someone ripped a page of that book?" Kris asked, also amused.

"Okay, not cool guys," Luhan had said, giving them the glare he practiced in front of his mirror. It worked. (Somewhat.)

The following day, Luhan made sure that he stopped by at the library before he went to his morning classes. He wrote a quick note, just to test his idea out, and slipped it into the third book of the H series. With his fingers mentally crossed, Luhan walked out of the library and into the bitter, winter air.

Throughout the day, he couldn't stop thinking of his almost-book-buddy, and he didn't stop himself from dropping by at the library to check on the status of his note.

The third book wasn't in the shelf anymore.

Luhan had to hide his smile into his thick cream-colored scarf so he wouldn't look like a creep. He took the second book, looking at the top pages with an increase in his pulse. He noticed the familiar crevice created by the folded note in between the person's favorite part in the book and his eyes crinkled.

Another note!

He rushed to the librarian, simultaneously returning the first book (he forgot to return the book earlier this morning) and borrowing the second book of the H series. Luhan remembered almost skipping back to his apartment complex, where he began shedding his heavy layers of clothing so that when he entered his apartment, all he needed to do was take his shoes off. He was sure that he received stares from his neighbors.

Luhan didn't bother to read or drool over the first page, because he was flipping to the person's favorite section, where the note was placed.

Hi again! So you like the series?
I'm really enjoying it! I like how the author
portrays realistic traits instead of fake
ones, you know? It's really refreshing.
Anyway, I'm off to read book 3! Happy
reading :)


He placed the note on his desk, along with the other notes that Smiley Face wrote for him. With a pleased grin on his face, Luhan curled into his heavy blankets and tucked his feet under his again, preparing to finish the book by tomorrow. Hopefully, Smiley Face had seen his note and replied to it.

The next day, Luhan didn't fail to visit the library before he headed to his classes. He took his pen and a piece of scrap paper and began writing.

The series is really good, thanks!
I'm glad you recommended them to me.
I hope you received my note! I'll
be waiting to borrow book 3 later


He stared at the note, trying to figure out what kind of signature he was going to leave it. He didn't leave a signature on his prior note, but this time he wanted to. Smiley Face would have an easier time to recognize him. A thought materialized in his mind and Luhan quickly scribbled down the Chinese characters for friendship.

友誼.

Smiling into his scarf once again, Luhan folded the note and placed it into the fourth book.
--
It went on like this for a week, for a month--two, three . . . it's already been half a year and Luhan still talks to Smiley Face through books and notes. He learned that Smiley Face was, in fact, a male. He was in his last year of high school and he liked to spend his downtime reading different kinds of literature. They've read a total of twenty-five series together (not counting the ones they skipped to read; they only used those books to transport their notes). 

I'm curious, Smiley Face had written on the latest piece of scrap paper, What's you name? I've been calling you the Chinese Guy for a while now. I didn't know when the appropriate time for introductions were. You never asked for my name, so I never bothered. But I'm really curious, and I need to know. You can give me a pseudonym if you want. I just don't want to call you the Chinese Guy. Reminds me of the Chinese Guy who delivers my Chinese food. :)

Luhan laughs, grin reaching his eyes. He's curious about Smiley Face's name too. In fact, he's curious about Smiley Face period. He wants to be friends with Smiley Face outside of the tiny world they made (although their world is pretty badass in his opinion) within the pages of books and scraps of papers. It would be cool to have a nice chat with Smiley Face over coffee.

But maybe, Luhan realizes slowly, maybe it is time to meet up with Smiley Face! It's been six months, after all. He knows about Luhan and Luhan knows about him, albeit a little. But it should be enough. They've journeyed through all those book adventures. They have similar interests. They like the same types of books. They like bubble tea. Their birthdays are in April . . .

Tell Luhan that this isn't fate. (Even if you do, like what Kai did, Luhan won't believe you.)

I call you Smiley Face, Luhan writes, a little embarrassed, Because you always put a smiley face at the end of your notes. But . . . what do you think of meeting up? Maybe we can have bubble tea. I'll pay. I'm your hyung after all. ;) We can talk about this part of the J series. It's seriously pissing me off. By the way, I'm Luhan. 友誼.

He sighs happily, flipping to the next page. Smiley Face recently mentioned to him that he graduated from high school and that he's on summer break now. Perhaps he can give Smiley Face some tips about college. The Dos and Don'ts.

The next day, after he slips the note into the next book that Smiley Face is going to read, Luhan heads to his one and only class. It's a class to touch up his major, just to let him understand the Korean language and culture better. Luhan zones in and out during class, thinking of Smiley Face and how he can possibly look like, sound like, act like. He hopes that Smiley Face is what he seemed to be; sweet, thoughtful . . .

Luhan feels his heart race. His palms are sweaty and he feels nervous, but it's not time to go yet. It's not time to go to the library and it's not time to think about Smiley Face.

But when it is time, Luhan rushes to the library, towards the fiction section. His heart in his throat, he looks through the titles. However, the book isn't there, and his note is still stuck in between the pages.

This means that they can finally meet! Even if it's accidental (but they're sortofmaybe planning it).

Luhan sits there by the fiction section, spine as straight as a pole, legs tucked underneath him while his fingers dug into his knees. You look nervous, he tells himself. Just calm down.

He waits.

It's probably around five in the evening when someone tall and skinny, dressed in a white t-shirt and a pair of jeans, comes strolling by the fiction aisle.

His face is long, his eyes are tiny and sharp, and his nose is tall. His hair, artificially blonde, covers his forehead and his tongue darts out to his lips. Soon afterwards, he bites his lower lip. His gaze is trained on the fourth book, a half-smile touching his mouth, and Luhan nearly socks himself in the face.

"Smiley Face?"

As if the tall and handsome dude just realized Luhan's presence, he blinks innocently at the older. An astonished look suddenly crossed his expression. "I--you're . . . Chinese Guy?"

Luhan feels his jaw drop. No way. He's really Smiley Face? "Smiley Face?" he repeats, dumbfounded. He didn't expect Smiley Face to be so . . . well, manly.

"Chinese Guy?" he echoes, also bewildered.

"I--I, yes, that's me," Luhan says, pushing himself from the ground and scrambling to his feet. He nearly falls on his face but Smiley Face (which isn't so smiley) thankfully catches him by his arms. "Thanks," Luhan clears his throat, already at close proximity with Smiley Face. "I'm Luhan," he breathes as he steps back to give themselves some space.

"I'm Sehun," Smiley Face says. Luhan bows respectively yet Sehun only nods his head and waves his hand (Is he being disrespectful or what, Luhan thinks). "It's nice to meet you."

"You too," Luhan says softly. He rubs his elbows, eyes looking around. God, this is so awkward.

"Were you waiting for me?" Sehun asks, blatantly watching Luhan.

It's uncomfortable being stared at like that, especially from a handsome young male, but Luhan wouldn't admit that. "Something like that," he replies, smiling shyly. He gestures to the book he slipped his note into. "The note's in there, if you still want to read it."

"Oh, okay. Thanks," mumbles Sehun. He takes the book using his free hand and then looks back at Luhan. He offers him the book he was holding. "I haven't written a note yet, but here."

"This is so weird," laughs Luhan, taking the book from Sehun. (They say laughter can solve anything.)

"And awkward, I know," Sehun agrees with a tiny smile. He flips through the pages and takes the note, quickly glancing at Luhan. "I always check the note first."

"Really?" Luhan chuckles. His nerves are getting to him. "I usually wait until I get to your favorite parts."

He hears Sehun laugh, and his heart kind of skips. As he looks at Sehun with that smile on his face, he was reminded again of the smiley face at the end of each note. Luhan lets Sehun read his note, watching the happy expression that glided on his face.

"You're treating me to bubble tea?" Sehun asks.

"That's what I said, right?" Luhan asks back, teasingly. The unnatural atmosphere is quickly dissipating, and Luhan later finds that it's really comfortable to talk to Sehun. They have a long way to go if they want to be more than book buddies, but they're both fine with it. It will be another fun adventure--just like their previous adventures, except this time, they won't really need the books and notes anymore.

"Here," Sehun hands Luhan a piece of paper. The latter smiles at the oddness. They're standing in front of the bubble tea cafe that they loitered for nearly two hours.

"What's this for?"

"My note for you," he responds. Sehun sips on the bubble tea that Luhan bought for him. "I'm on summer vacation--don't forget that. We can hang out anytime. I'm going home now. Umma's probably wondering why I spent so long at the library," he says, already walking the opposite direction. He waves at Luhan.

"But we haven't exchanged numbers," Luhan yells after him, eyebrows knitted.

"It's all in there," Sehun yells back, smiling over his shoulder. "See you around, hyung!" With that, he disappears around a corner and Luhan sighs.

312-36XX
-Sehun :)

Luhan smiles at the note, rolling his eyes at the younger's cute but silly antics.


A/N: im totally feeling hunhan feels rn so maybe more hunhan in the future you know