So goodbye;

So goodbye, my first love.

How many days went by? How many months passed? How have you been? The pink roses I bought are growing well. How about you?

I miss you. Suho-ah what about you?

 

Just a typical day again, delivering milk every Monday has been her part-time job for a while. It would be the same road, same way, and the same carefree speed each time. But there was this one place she liked delivering to the most, they grow the prettiest roses in their 2nd storey garden.

She liked the scent so much. So much, she’ll secretly spend a few extra seconds to take a deep breath. Afterall she’ll only be here once a week.

 

It was any other mundane day for him, taking all the time in the world to water the flowers. He’d grown them carefully, taking care of their growth as delicately as he’d ever been. Someone like him, home-schooled, friend-less, parent-less. There was only so much he could do in such a big mansion.

The housemaid was here again with the pills and water in her tray. His grandmother had made sure the housemaid deliver his medications on time daily. He was sick of eating them already. Afterall he knew he could never lead a life like the normal kids, he could never be the heir to his grandmother’s corporation.

 

Today, she was here again. He’d noticed. Every Monday around this time he’d be here watering the flowers and she’d stop here in her bicycle, lingering a few moments before putting the milk cartons under their mailbox and cycling off with a wide smile. But her hair was tied up in a bun, hidden beneath her cap. He thought she was no more than a boyish girl, not adorable character, not girly. But something about her attracted him the most. That smile she always had before leaving, it was kind of cute.

 

He took a deep breath and released the spray hose he was holding. Droplets of water dripped into the soil while he raised his voice down at the familiar stranger.

‘You, milk-deliverer, aren’t you suppose to leave already? Put the milk down and leave already.’

Her eyes flew open half-way through her usual deep breath rose scent therapy and dropped the bag of milk in her hand.

‘Ya! Shouldn’t you be more responsible? There will be dents on the carton now.’ That came out slightly hostile. She looked up at him but the sunlight was too bright in the background she couldn’t make out his face, just a silhouette. Nonetheless, she replied calmly.

‘But there won’t be a difference in the taste.’

He arched a corner of his lips and huffed. ‘I hate it. It’ll look ugly. Just like you.’

She exhaled in disbelief. So the owner of the house was nothing more than an arrogant guy. ‘I hate guys with bad manners too. Just like you.’

His eyes widened at her reply. ‘What did you say?’ and aimed the spray hose in her direction, squeezing the latch tightly.

The water fell like heavy raindrops on her. Taken aback, she screamed. ‘What are you doing?!’

Surprised at this side of her, he laughed. The first time in a long long while, he laughed genuinely at the flustered girl before him.

‘You’re still a girl afterall! Ha-ha. Ugly girl.’

What they didn’t realize was the rainbow that formed in the falling droplets of this first meeting…

 

Months passed, she was here again this Monday, just like any other week. But this time he invited her up to his garden and watched her expressions changed. He was a head taller than her, so in his eyes she looked totally like an excited child.

‘Wah they’re really pretty. But I like pink, are there pink roses?’ She asked, her eyes twinkled with fascination at the bed of roses before them. He held in a smile and cleared his throat.

‘Of course.’ He replied and her face brightened at once.

‘Daebak, they must be really beautiful.’

He saw the pretty dazzle in her eyes but the foul-mouthed him kicked in again.

‘No. Not in the least. They looked weird just like you.’

He watched as her face fell a little and her lips pouted unconsciously but maintained her confidence before replying, ‘Hey, if I dress up one day, I’ll look nice too, like a real girl. Why do you always say that I’m ugly?’

He bent down and leaned in closer, taking a better look at her face. There was a small frown on her forehead, but it disappeared as soon as he leaned forward. Their gazes met as she leaned back a little. He frowned but couldn’t pull away from the look in her eyes. His heart was thumping furiously in his ribs.

‘You really do look ugly. I can’t even tell if you’re a girl or a boy.’

She swallowed and her expressions darkened a little bit again.

‘But… I..I think I look totally like any other girl.’

You’re pretty.I lied.

He leaned in slowly and kissed her gently, softly, delicately on the lips as if she was one of his roses. She didn’t move a muscle. She was too taken aback by his actions, blinking in bewilderment. Blood rushed to her cheeks as the butterflies in her stomach fluttered rapidly like her heartbeat.

Time stopped. Or so they thought.

When he finally pulled away, he looked away oddly, faking ignorance and brought back the foul-mouthed version of himself.

‘Just as I thought. You’re no more than just a tomboy, totally lacking of any lady charms.’

Then he met her gaze again, but surprised. She was on the verge of tearing up.

‘Hey, don’t you cry. You’ll look even uglier if you did.’

She clenched her fists tightly, rattled by his pointless remarks.

‘I really do hate you.’ And she took off, down the road, away from the house, from him.

Staring at her backview, he almost punched himself in the face.

‘What have you done Suho? Are you seriously an idiot?’

 

And she never returned again. He didn’t even know her name. But his conditioned worsened suddenly and he was bed-ridden, he couldn’t water the roses anymore, he couldn’t wait for her anymore.

But he’d kept a particular vase in his room, a full vase of beautiful pink roses; just like her.

Another few weeks passed and he was finally at his limit. No matter how much he longed to see her, his body has deteriorated too much for him to handle. All he could remember was taking one last and long glance at the pink roses, hoping that one day she'll get to see them.

Why couldn’t I show them to you? 

 

After he was gone,  the flowers didn’t withered. His grandmother had ordered the maids to stop watering them, letting them wither slowly. But strangely, they never did.

And on that Monday morning, she saw her.

Yoo Jeon was back here again to deliver milk, she’d wanted to see the roses on last time before she quit the job. The fact was, she’d cried so hard knowing that he’d passed away. It was all over the news. She didn’t even know he was the grandson of someone really influential. He never mentioned. She didn’t even know he had a lifelong sickness. He never mentioned.

They never asked each other for their names. She’d called him as the Rose Guy while he called her Ugly. But she was glad at the same time, that she’d finally know his name. Such a pretty name, just like the roses. Suho; to watch over.

Have you always been watching over me even if you called me Ugly?

This time, she’d wanted to say goodbye to him, properly. She knew, somewhere, he would hear her prayers and realise her feelings for him.

 

‘Miss?’ His grandmother called, startling her. She looked up and thought she’d saw him beside her.

‘Are you the girl he’d made friends with?’ She asked, but Yoo Jeon didn’t exactly know how to answer. He could have lots of other friends too.

‘Are you the one sending milk every Monday months back?’ the older lady asked again.

This time, Yoo Jeon nodded and a tear flickered in both their eyes. 

 

Her chest tightened, there was a lump in as she touch the beautiful pink petals with her hand.

‘So beautiful.’ She said.

‘Idiot. Why did you lie to me that they’re weird,’ she mumbled as the tears fell uncontrollably again. ‘See, I’m not hiding my hair under my cap anymore. I wanted to show you a more lady-like me. Why didn’t you wait for me?’

 

Not too far away, he watched as tears rolled down her cheeks, but he couldn’t wipe them away. She wouldn’t even know he was here. He smiled briefly, glancing at the beautiful roses and then at her. 

You’re beautiful. I wasn’t able to tell you. They're beautiful. Just like you.

And he leaned forward, kissing her lightly on her lips.

 

She closed her eyes. There was a weird comfort and warmth. She was so sure she’d felt something warm on her pursed lips. Then she was sure, ever so sure it was him.

Idiot.

He knew she’d felt him. Time stopped again. And this time, even if it was the last time, their hearts were beating as one.

A teardrop fell from her cheeks and splattered on the cold tiles. Then as if magically, the rose petals dissipated into thin air too. A smile formed on her lips as she whispered.

 

Saranghae.

He smiled. That would be enough. It was time for him to leave. 

I’ll watch over you forever.

So goodbye, my first love.

 

= THE END =