Mysterious Woman

Serendipity

Nichkhun hated family meetings more than anything in this world. It wasn’t that he didn’t love his family, in fact, they had a wonderful relationship, it’s just that every time they sat together, his grandmother and parents always seemed to find a way to ask about his love life and lecture him on the importance of starting a family of his own. Given his hot bachelor status and rich family background, most people would be surprised to know that he wasn’t a playboy like his fashion designer brother Nichan, who changed girlfriends at the blink of an eye. Although news of inheritance always pointed towards Nichan, Nichkhun didn’t feel the need to clear things up in the media. He had no intentions of living off his family… until recently that is. He had thought about his future many times before: making his way as an entrepreneur and living a humble life with his wife and kids. He had thought about marrying Tiffany more than once before she broke up with him but what really tore him apart was the fact that he had done nothing wrong.

Tiffany always knew that Nichkhun came from a rich family, but when he told her that he had no intentions of inheriting his family’s fortunes, things got tense. She didn’t seem like the type to be a gold-digger, but her last words have been etched into his brain permanently:

“I knew you were apathetic and humble and , but I didn’t know you’d be so stupid.” She said. “What good are you to me if you expect me to live a humble life? What are we going to do? Plant our own food and be hippies? Why are you throwing away such a fortune… did you even think about our futures?”

“Tiff… I didn’t know you thought about me like that… you always said it was good to be a dreamer.”

“There’s a fine line between dreaming and stupidity, Khun. How do you expect to get anywhere without money?”

“Since when did our relationship become all about money?”

“Since the day I started dating you. You’re just another guy without your Horvejkul last name.” she said before slamming the door behind her.

Nichkhun was absolutely devastated. It was true that she sought after expensive gifts, but he assumed that was just the nature of all girls. At first he was sad that she left him for financial reasons but when anger kicked in, he realized that it was not fair that she left him for something he couldn’t control. Yeah, he could just step up and inherit the company for her sake, but what about his dreams? He had to prove to her that he could make it on his own if he wanted her back, and he was determined to do so, even if he had to die trying.

The Horvejkul family were one of the top three richest families in all of Korea, owning a giant chain of Innis department stores and more than a quarter of South Korea’s real estates. Initially coming from Thailand, Nichkhun’s great grandparents took a leap of faith and started a business that spanned South Korea and Thailand. Their offices dispersed around Asia, with the family deciding to reside in South Korea. Of the 4 children in the family, none of them showed interest in the family business despite the continuous convincing by their father. Nichan, the oldest, preferred the glamorous life of fashion design, flying everywhere around the world in search of inspiration. He had no intension of settling down anytime soon and his parents were well aware that no convincing would change his mind. Nichkhun, the second child, was the quietest of the children. He preferred living out of the spotlight of his family wealth, spending most time playing sports and hanging out with his best friends. He graduated out of business school recently at the request of his parents, who knew that of the four kids, he was the one easiest to convince to take over the family business. He wasn’t sure what he wanted to do with his life, but he knew there was more to life than managing money, despite the fact that his parents dragged him into the company as soon as he graduated. His younger sisters Yanin and Cherleen were better off in the fact that his traditional grandparents didn’t allow the family business to be passed onto daughters. They were free to do whatever they wanted with their lives and it was easy considering they were the princesses of the household. The Horvejkul family was tight-knit and supportive of one another, making them a constant topic of conversation in the business world as the “model family” of South Korea.

Now, back to the whole family meeting ordeal: it wasn’t often that grandma called these family meetings, so they knew something important must be happening.

“Kids, I have something important to say.” Grandma Horvejkul began.

“Way to cut to the chase, grandma.” Nichan joked, earning a small smack on the lap by his mother.

“Well with your lack of attention span, I don’t really have a choice, do I?” Grandma retaliated. She was old, but definitely not slow.

“Well played grandma, well played.” Nichan replied.

Grandma coughed slightly before continuing. “As you all know, I’m getting older and with the business booming, I really need you guys to think about who’s going to step up and take the plate when I pass on to meet your grandpa.”

The two boys remained silent, looking on the floor to avoid eye contact.

“Your father isn’t getting any younger either, and I know for a fact that you guys would not want to see him overwork himself.” Grandma continued.

The boys looked at each other in disbelief.

I can’t believe she played the guilt trip card. Nichan nodded at Nichkhun. Their brotherly telepathy was impeccable and it was easy to get away with snide remarks that would otherwise earn them smacks to the head.

Grandma was right though, she was getting older and their dad, who recently suffered a minor heart attack, was in no shape to manage a stressful business.

Seeing the lack of response, Grandma continued. “I should let you guys know that as of now, inheritance of the company is not given to any one of you.”

The four stared at her in disbelief. They had assumed that their family’s wealth would be equally divided amongst them when time came, where else would the money go? They literally would not have to work a single day in their lives and still be able to make it to the age of 100 if they had the company.

“As of now, the company belongs to Victoria Song.” She continued.

“Who?” the four kids asked in unison.

“Miss Victoria Song, Song Qian.” She repeated, offering nothing more.

“We don’t know someone named Victoria Song.” Nichan said, thinking of the horror of not being wealthy. His fashion line was a success, but most of it’s funding came from home.

“She’s the great granddaughter of Great-Uncle Song” she explained. “When your great grandparents moved here, they had little to none to their name. Uncle Song took them in and gave them shelter and money for the beginning of their business. Without Uncle Song, our family would be nothing, probably still farming somewhere in Thailand. We pretty much owe the company to him. Uncle Song, however, was not greedy like that and insisted that we repay him simply by being happy. I remember him, always smiling and giving me sweets. About 15 years ago, his son and grandchildren died in a car accident, leaving his great-granddaughter somewhere. I’ve been trying to look for her, but without luck. I’ve asked all the previous butlers that worked for them but no one knew where the young mistress went. If I’m not mistaken, she should be Nichkhun’s age. Now, I don’t know where this young woman is, but I know it’s our responsibility to take care of her, on behalf of Uncle Song. The company rightfully belongs to her family anyhow, and since you guys have missed your chance at inheritance, I want you guys to look for her and bring her to me so she can decide what she wants to do with the company.”

The four children looked at her in disbelief. It was one thing to evenly split the company or sell it, but it was another to just give it up to a stranger and let her roll the dice on their futures. Without their family fortunes, the four kids would have no way of starting anything on their own, and they had no intention in settling for a boring office job. The boys had to do something about the inheritance if they wanted to pursue their dreams.

“Are you kidding, grandma?!” Nichan exclaimed. “This woman could be greedy and ruin us!”

“That’s what you get for not taking responsibility.” She simply replied.

“This is a load of crap. Without the company of fashion line will fail and Nichkhun won’t have the capital to start his own business and the princesses will for sure starve!” Nichan reasoned.

“You guys could always work at the department store. I’m sure their looking for sales associates.” She said, sipping her tea.

Nichkhun remained quiet as he let grandma’s words sink in. Without his family’s money there would be no way of getting Tiffany back. It would take him ages to save up money at a regular office job and he knew he didn’t have too much time before some rich guy picked her up. He knew his parents didn’t like her, but whether it was the need for closure or simply for pride reasons, he needed to get her back. His parents had warned him about her gold-digging ways when they had first dated but he ignored all their accusations along with their comments of how she dressed like a e. She was pretty and definitely eye candy worth showing off, and Nichkhun felt the satisfaction in knowing that his girlfriend made other guys jealous. He didn’t mind that she dressed a little more provocatively, as long as everyone knew that at the end of the night she’d be returning home with him.

At this point, they had no choice but to find this Victoria girl and convince her to give up the company so that the four kids didn’t end up being beggars later in life. Nichan shuddered at the thought of working a “normal” job and was more determined than ever to seduce this woman and take his family’s fortunes back whether she liked it or not.

“Bro, let’s go hunt this woman down.” Nichan said, offering a fist bump.

Nichkhun absentmindedly gave him a fist back as he continued to let grandma’s words sink in. He was torn between getting Tiffany back and giving up his dreams… which was more important? Tiffany, he finally thought to himself. She’s worth giving up my freedom and working for my family.