Fudgesicles

Pushing Buttons

“Baby, stop putting things in the cart.” Chaerin was trying to not lose her patience, their shopping trip had only just begun and already Jea-seung was acting out. With a small sigh she took her boy’s hands and looked him in the eyes, her gaze steady. “If you’re a good boy, mommy will get you ice cream when we’re done okay? Just stop putting things in the cart.”  She pleaded with him, looking up at Jiyong as he walked over with a handful of groceries and dumped them in the cart.  The look that Chaerin shot him was less than friendly.

“What?” Jiyong asked, shoulders shrugging in innocence. With a grin he looked at his son and ruffled his hair. “Hey little man.”  He said kissing him on the head.

“Hi daddy.” The boy answered, looking from his father to his mother and back again before reaching out and grabbing a brightly coloured box from the shelf just within reach and tossing it in the cart.

“No,” Chaerin protested leaning past the toddler and picking out the box, placing it back on the shelf. “Remember? Ice cream if you’re good?” She asked, still trying to coax the boy into behaving. Jiyong however walked behind her and picked up the box from the shelf looking it over for a moment before tossing it in the cart with a grin and a wink at his son.  “I saw that…” Chaerin protested. “Put it back, you’re teaching him bad habits.”

“Of course I am kitten, I’m his dad. Isn’t that right little man?” Jiyong responded and leaned down, holding his hand out and cheering when the child slapped his hand against it.  “That’s right. Besides,” he started, straightening up and giving the sweetest smile he could muster to his wife. “I want some too.” He said picking up the box and reading it over, his lower lip pushing out in a pout. 

“You two are impossible. Listen, if you both behave I promise we’ll get ice cream or something after, but we can’t be buying the whole store okay?” She responded shaking her head and starting again, pushing the cart down the aisle trying to keep it far enough away from the shelves that Jae-seung couldn’t reach.  Her plan however was short lived. “I can hear you conspiring Kwon Jiyong, don’t think I can’t.” She said, her back turned looking for the items listed on the other side of the aisle. 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Jiyong responded, holding up two bags to Jae-seung and weighing them in front of the boy until he pointed to the one that he wanted. With a nod he tossed the bag into the cart and grinned. Another moment later his finger was to his lips, asking his son to be quiet, smiling mischievously as the other mimicked his action with a tiny giggle.  Jiyong turned and walked a few paces away, long strides and exaggerated limbs as he grabbed a few more items from the shelf and collected them in his arms.  He had just finished placing them in the cart when Chaerin turned around.  Quickly he turned around and tucked his hands behind his back, another innocent grin challenging Chaerin’s scowl. Jae-seung sat giggling at his parents show, his father’s antics and his mother’s disapproving stare filling him with great amusement.

“You are two seconds away from spending the night with Gaho and Jolie.” Chaerin warned, moving back to the front of the cart and pushing it once more. “Don’t encourage him Jae-seung, daddy is being stupid and bad.”  She spoke, shooting another look at Jiyong who had fallen into step beside the rest of his family.

“Should you really be teaching him to call people stupid?” He asked. He knew he was pushing Chaerin’s buttons, but he couldn’t help it.  She was cute when she was mad, just like every other time he saw her.

“I see right through you Jiyong.” Chaerin responded, stopping the cart and looking at her husband. “Here, how about this,” She said turning and holding her hands out for their son who raised them instinctively. “Jae, do you want to go hang out with daddy?” She asked as she lifted the toddler out of the basket.  Jae-seung looked between them, nodding and holding his hands out to Jiyong leaning forward far enough to fall over if his father hadn’t caught him.  “You boys go have fun and leave me alone to get the shopping done.” She said with a raised eyebrow.

“Well fine then.” Jiyong responded, shifting the child to his hip and pouting at Chaerin. “We can tell when we’re not wanted, come on buddy.” He teased, blowing a quick kiss to his wife to make sure he wasn’t actually in trouble before turning and walking away.   Chaerin shook her head with a small grin. Now she was free to finish her chore without interruption.

Without the assistance of Jiyong and Jae-seung shopping took a lot less time, and it wasn’t long before Chaerin had paid and made her way out of the store.  “Hey pretty lady!” She heard her husband’s call, seconds before a smaller voice echoed, “Hey pidy layee.”  With a wide smile she turned, a surprised chuckle escaping from   her as she spotted Jiyong and their son sitting on the curb, half eaten, half melted fudge pops in hand.

Chaerin walked over to them, sitting beside Jae-seung and looking directly at Jiyong. “Who said you deserved ice cream?” She asked, reaching forward and taking the fudgesicle from his hand and pulling it between her lips.

“I’m a big boy kitten, I bought them myself.” Jiyong responded, taking the sweet treat back and it.

“Well we’re gonna have a surplus at home, because I bought some too.” Chaerin giggled and stood. “Come on, let’s get back before everything melts.”