Thin Line

Thin Line

Hyoyeon was staring outside of the window. That was all she did the entire day. Sit on the edge of her bed and look outside the window. For the past 15 minutes that she had been gazing, she tried to appreciate the clouds. The sun, the trees, the leaves, the wall. Then, she stared at the wall.

Kim Hyoyeon hadn’t been in the best of mental shape for the past few days. She was dealing with the loss of her father as well as the death of her husband which coincided. It was a night of extreme pain for her.

I remember everything like it was a movie I’d watched over and over. I remember how his body flew past the windshield and slammed into the truck. My poor Kris. He was so young. He didn’t have to die this way. Silent tears streaked down her face. She looked at her engagement ring and twisted and turned it. It was just 2 weeks ago when Kris proposed to her and now they had been separated by death.

Then, the thoughts of her father came into her mind.

My father. My ing father. He just had to cheat on us now, hadn’t he? I bet when he was on his deathbed his was crying crocodile tears but grinning deep down inside because of the money that she would be able to get her hands on. God I hope she and her son-that bastard half brother of mine who ing used me and abused me-would die next. I hope their apartment’s gas leaks and they burn to death in their room.

The violent thoughts were making Hyoyeon clench her fists so tightly that she was starting to bleed from the palm because of her long nails. The anger she had been feeling had numbed her to the core that despite the flow of the blood, she felt nothing. It even encouraged her to hurt herself even more.

No! No you stupid ! Don’t go down that road again! You almost died when you tried to cut, remember?! Don’t join your father!

But then, she remembered Kris.

Kris didn’t deserve to die. Kris had a lot going for him in his life and at his age, he was too young to even be lying in a coffin.

The urge to commit suicide and be one with Kris  again was overwhelming for Hyoyeon. She did not tend to her bleeding hand, instead, she turned to the wall mirror. The wall mirror that she had for so long which she would look into when fixing herself. She walked towards it and stood in front of it to look at herself and see how swollen her eyes were from crying all day or to see how haggard she looked or how messed up her hair already was.

But Hyoeyon  was taken aback.

The mirror that was suppose to reflect her appearance reflected the bed walls and cabinets that were behind her. In her horror, Hyoyeon almost fell to her knees. The sight absolutely confused her.

“How the did that just happen?” she asked, looking behind her and trying to grasp the idea of the possibility that she could be a vampire but she knew it was ridiculous. Then, she looked back into the mirror and was shocked once again. A mini heart attack greeted her when she saw her very own reflection staring before her. The nervous feeling subsided when she saw herself, sensing that things were back to the way they were.

“Oh God. Maybe I’m just seeing things.” she breathed a sigh of relief and continued to look at herself in the mirror. Then, she noticed that as she was her hair, her face in the reflection was starting to deteriorate. It was becoming paler and paler, the eyebags getting darker and darker. Her face was becoming more haggard and more different the more she stared at it. It freaked her out and made her stop moving for a while.

“What the is going on?” she asked herself. The reflection’s mouth wasn’t moving, making Hyoeyon wonder again what was wrong. She waved her hand in front of the mirror but the reflection did not reciprocate the action and just stood still. The face that was once just pokerfaced, without expression, slowly started to flash a sinister, sly smile.

“What the is this?! What the are you?!? What are you?!?!?” Hyoyeon demanded, screaming louder and louder at the mirror. The creepy smile never faded from her reflection’s face and to make matters worse, it began to move. Slowly but surely, the reflection was moving its arm upward, seemingly pointing at Hyoyeon. Hyoyeon backed away, breathing heavily and fearfully clinging on whatever she could get her hands on. Her reflection just stared at her, mouth smirking and hand extended. Hyoyeon screamed over and over again at the top of her lungs.

The reflection never stopped smirking. All it did was look at Hyoyeon with the evil look that she had had on her face since appearing before her. Hyoyeon mustered all her strength to stand up and stare at the mirror and all its eerie glory. As soon as she stood, the reflection gave a wide grin that made Hyoyeon’s spine chill. She ran towards the mirror and slammed it with her palm in an effort to break it but to no avail. The mirror didn’t even budge. Hyoyeon backed away, her heart pounding fast and hard, almost erupting through her chest. The reflection then grabbed a strand of her hair or maybe two and pulled at it.

“Ouch!” Hyoyeon shrieked as she felt the pain. The reflection cackled. It then slapped herself hard across the cheek, enough to cause a red mark on the right side. Though it didn’t feel any pain as it was but a projection, it was Hyoyeon who felt the repercussions. The slap was so hard that she fell back on the floor. Hyoyeon dared not to look at the mirror as she struggled to get back on her feet and break the mirror that was messing around with her.

The reflection let out a cackle that she heard in her head. It wasn’t out loud, it was heard only in her head. Hyoyeon begged for it to stop as it got louder and louder. She backed away, quickly and ran for the door. The reflection swiftly walked towards the door, not doing anything yet, waiting for Hyoyeon to look back as if seemingly sure that she would. True to the reflection’s intuition, Hyoyeon did look back and saw the reflection slam the door shut and lock it. She screamed even more, going into an insane episode all by herself on the bedroom floor.

The reflection just stood there supposedly beside where her body was. She wasn’t doing anything to Hyoyeon and was just seemingly watching, waiting for the girl to make a mistake before she scares the living out of her again.

Hyoyeon got to her feet and lunged back at the mirror, repeatedly hitting hit. Her lack of strength and energy, however, refrained her from causing any kind of damage. Hyoyeon never gave up on it, though. Her personal troubles were enough troubles and she didn’t want anything supernatural getting in the way of it.

Except this time, it wasn’t really supernatural.

Her reflection looked her dead in the eyes and held her left thumb with her right fingers. Hyoyeon looked quite puzzled and tried to figure out what her reflection was doing. Turns out, her reflection was trying to skin her thumb by opening a new wound and making blood gush out. As it was doing this, Hyoyeon felt a sharp, peeling pain on the base of her thumb right below the nail. The pain of a thick chunk of skin getting peeled off from her finger was more than what she could bare. Hyoyeon squeezed her thumb, covering it with her other fingers. It did get skinned off and it did bleed. Because of compressing and suppressing the blood flow via her hand, her palm turned red because of the massive amount of blood that flowed As if that wasn’t enough, the reflection opened and stuck her skinned thumb into . Hyoyeon felt herself doing the same thing. Her hand was going into , blood still dripping from it.

“No. No. No!!!” she tried to control it but the fear and anxiety that watching the reflection do so gave her was too powerful to fight that she had no choice but to put it in . The reflection pinched a section of her inner cheek and pulled on it, tugged it hard, hard enough for a small part of it to come off and bleed. Hyoyeon tried to fight back by pulling out of her hand and resisting.

“Enough!” she screamed at the reflection. The reflection stared at her, gazing upon her body which shook and rattled in fear before looking straight into her brown eyes which blinked rapidly and dilated, a signal that she was afraid of her own reflection. The reflection and Hyoyeon were soon face to face, looking each other in the eyes.Hyoyeon, a look of fear and the reflection, a sinister, conniving look that wasn’t to be trusted.

It seemed as if the reflection looked at Hyoyeon with a face that was initially similar to hers but was now changing. The reflection got paler, her eyebags were darker and a bit bulgier. Her body was frailer than the real one’s, with her gaunt face, jutting clavicle, and visible chest bones, she was starting to look like death, getting skinnier and skinnier as Hyoyeon looked at her, until her skin was stuck to her bones. Hyoyeon looked at herself and saw that she was starting to waste away and look emaciated as well. Afraid, Hyoyeon backed away but then realized she had nowhere else to go. Helplessly, she screamed at the mirror, screamed at her reflection as the projection seemed to have revelled in the sight of her fear, like it bred on her deepest horrors.

Hyoyeon had enough of the horror that was bothering her right in front of her. As the reflection cackled at her pitiful state, Hyoyeon mustered all the strength, anger, fear and frustration she had bottled up inside of her and lunged forth at the mirror, banging it repeatedly with her hands. The reflection crossed its arms infront of her chest and watched as Hyoyeon struggled to break the mirror. From repeatedly beating it with the sides of her fists to pushing it with her palms. She ignored the pain. The fear of seeing herself, her reflection in such a position, with so much power to cause her pain. She pounded at the mirror. Pounded at it. Pounding. Pounding.

Hyoyeon never stopped doing so until she saw some small cracks starting to emerge. The cracks were very minimal and barely visible, but she figured that with some more damage, she would be able to destroy the mirror and the evil that it housed. Hands hurting and sore, Hyoyeon decided to throw her things towards the mirror with hopes of shattering it into a million tiny pieces. Anything she could get her hands on. Bags, books, makeup kits, combs. Any hard object. She just kept throwing and throwing things at the mirror. Visibly shaken, the reflection stood still with a dirty smirk on its face, unaffected by Hyoyeon’s fits of retaliation.

The mirror was now badly damaged. It had several cracks and looked ready to break. HHyoyeon positioned herself, backing away from the mirror a little bit, hoping that all the effort she would exert would eventually wreck the mirror of terror. Hyoyeon kicked the mirror hard ith her left foot directly into the very center, targeting her reflection’s stomach. The mirror fell from the nail that it was hanging from and down onto the floor where it shattered into tiny pieces. Hyoyeon fell to the floor in exhaustion, thankful that the ordeal was over. Breathing heavily, she stood from where she was.

Since breaking the mirror, Hyoyeon felt new, felt energized, felt stronger like a new person had been reborn. The feeling inside of her continued to boil and escalate, circulating in her body, making her feel the heat. Suddenly, her insides perked up, her pupils grew larger and her body felt tremors all throughout. The energy crawled all over her body, possessing her like a demon would its host.

Then, she felt relieved. Renewed. Energized.

Evil.

Hyoyeon looked back at the mirror and saw how she shattered it. It was only then that she realized the power that she had within her.

 

And all I had to do was kick.

Hyoyeon looked back at the shattered mirror, bent down and picked one up. She held it tightly in her hands, the sly expression never leaving her haggard and tired face, and went down the stairs. Every single step she made felt like an earthquake though she herself didn’t feel it. As she descended from the stairs, Hyoyeon felt her heart pumping twice as fast not from anxiety or fear but from excitement this time. In a week, it was going to be her first time to emerge from the house and she couldn’t be any more excited.

Opening the door, Hyoyeon slowly stepped out, allowing the cool breeze to touch her skin and the rays of the sun to shine down on her. She was set to go out, barefooted. On this bright sunny day, Hyoyeon was set to cause mayhem...with only a shard of glass...