Beneath the hunters moon

Beneath the hunters moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

no editing has been done on this, I was being nagged the whole time and it was kind of rushed.

 

 

 

The fire crackled for the last time before slowly but surely dying out. The only light now coming from the still burning embers. The cloudy skies made it impossible to use the moonlight to travel by, not even a single start was visible above. It’s the darkest night that Luhan had seen for a long time. The last time it was this dark, well let’s just say nothing good came out of that night.

Luhan sighed and stared down at the glowing orange embers. There is a lot on his mind this night but one thing is begging for his attention above all the rest.

Yixing.

He stumbled across Yixing four days ago as he was trekking through the backcountry. Yixing is the first human that he had come across since leaving the small towns behind three weeks ago. It was a surprise to find a person way out in the middle of nowhere to say the least, but Luhan couldn’t believe it was someone so close to his own age, someone who was just trying to survive like himself.

Luhan was stupid enough to trust though. He knew that the only person you could trust anymore was yourself. Everyone is alone now; you never know what someone is truly capable of until they are put to the test. Everyone Luhan thought he could trust betrayed him to save themselves. People turned into selfish animals. Survival was the only thing that mattered anymore.

The primal part within us all was unleashed.

Four days with Yixing and he still can’t trust him wholly. There are just these little suspicious things that he does that set Luhan on edge. It’s nothing huge but they are still sighs.

The virus is sneaky. The virus never lets you know it’s inside someone until you are either already dead or infected yourself. The virus will choose who to kill and who to infect based on something inside the human brain. Nobody knows what it is and no one wants to find out. The virus makes humans ravenous killing machines. One would try to say it’s a form of zombie but no, it’s not. They are smart, they know what they are doing, people let the virus take them over, let it control their bodies, they let their humanity go by choice.

Now all the uninfected humans are being hunted.

Luhan runs a hand through his hair and moves forward to relight the fire. It’s not a good idea to keep it blazing all night but there is no other natural light tonight so there isn’t much choice in the matter. It will go out anyways after Luhan is asleep.

The fire slowly comes back to light. Luhan coaxes it to burn brighter. When he can see the area again he moves back and sits on the log.

His gaze travels over the body of a sleeping Yixing a few feet away. Yixing trusts Luhan completely. Luhan doesn’t know what to make of this. He can’t do that same for Yixing though he wants to. Luhan has been betrayed one too many times to let himself be fooled again. It will take a while for Yixing to earn his trust, he might not ever be able to.

“Luhan.” Yixing mumbles.

Luhan stares at him but doesn’t move. Yixing talks in his sleep, more like mumbles. Luhan has already grown accustomed to it. Though Yixing has never said his name before.

“Luhan, I need you.” Yixing mumbles.

Luhan tenses at the words. What could Yixing possibly be dreaming about to make him say those words. Luhan averts his gaze away from Yixing and goes back to watching the fire burn.

That’s when he hears it.

Luhan is thrown into action without a second thought. His survival instinct kicks in automatically. Fight or Flight. Luhan always flies until there is no other option left, and then he is forced to fight.

“Yixing.” Luhan says.

Yixing mumbles something inaudibly. Luhan is already at his side shoving him awake. “Something’s out there, get up.” Luhan whispers. Yixing’s sleepy eyes pop open in shock. He is instantly awake and on high alert. He jumps out of his sleeping bag and to his feet. His body is tense and ready for a fight. Luhan doesn’t want a fight though. “Yixing we have to get out of here.” Luhan wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter