Chapter 5

Where The Wild Things Are

Hana stared at Yongguk’s back as he left the room. She bit her bottom lip and wiped furiously at the warm salty liquid running down her cheeks.

 

All she wanted was to go back home. To home where her mother was and apologize to her, and tell her how much she loves her. All she wanted was to go home and be safe.

 

Frustration and anger built up in Hana’s chest as she crawled onto the bed. Hana gripped the duvet and threw herself under. Streams of tears stained her pillow as Hana indulged into sleep.

 


 

Hana shivered and wrapped her arms tighter around herself. A gust of cold breeze swept under the large blankets and Hana curled her toes. With clenched teeth, the tiny blonde swung her feet over the bed and walked towards the cause of her rude chilly awakening.

 

One of the windows was left open. Hana clutched the handles and closed them shut. She tightly locked it just in case it decided to open again. Hana grudgingly walked back to bed and wondered how she didn’t notice the window was left open before. Hana then narrowed her eyebrows, she doesn’t even remember opening up a window.

 


 

Hana’s eyes shot open when she heard a shuffling sound inside her bedroom. A scowl appeared on her face and she narrowed her eyebrows. Hana peeked her head out from the covers and looked at the intruder. 

 

“Himchan?” Hana said in a raspy voice. The busy man didn’t seem fazed as he occupied himself with Hana’s clothes. Which were placed with Yongguk’s in his massive dresser. “Himchan, what are you doing?”

 

Finally he moved away from the dresser. He held two dresses in his hands and observed them carefully. “Hana dear, good afternoon. I assume you had a lovely sleep yes?”

 

Hana watched him in mild confusion and shook her head. “Himchan, really what are you doing?” she crawled out of the large blankets to get closer to the young male.

 

Himchan looked up at her and practically shoved the dresses in her face. “Which one do you like the most?” he asked.

 

Hana shook her head again and held up a wobbly finger and pointed to the purple one. Himchan gave the purple dress a once over before throwing it over his shoulder. Hana yelped and screamed his name.  Himchan held the green one up and placed it on the bed. “Here, put this on.” he walked passed her bed and Hana could hear him running the bath for her.

 

Hana looked at the green sundress and frowned before opening , “Himchan, why am I to put this on? What are we doing? And I chose the purple one and you give me the green one, what was the purpose of even asking me?”

 

Himchan came back into the room and dug into the dresser again. He walked towards Hana with her underwear in his hands. With a red face, Hana reached out and snatched her delicates away. Himchan rolled his eyes before busying himself with cleaning up her room.

 

“The boys want to go down to the shore and fly some kites.” He answered.

 

“Eh?” Hana tilted her head and looked at Himchan for an explanation. Himchan dusted off his hands and walked over to Hana.

 

“They want to fly kites. The weather today is absolutely gorgeous and there’s enough breeze to keep them up.” Hana gave him no response but she seemed deep in thought with her lips pressed in a frown.

 

“Have you ever gone kite flying?” Himchan asked and Hana shook her head. Himchan smiled and grabbed a hold of one of Hana’s hands.

 

“Don’t worry Hana; I’m sure one of the boys won’t mind teaching you. In fact anyone can, they’ve already mastered it so well, and you’ll be a pro in no time.”

 

Hana smiled and ducked her head, a rose tint spreading across her face. “Thank you, Himchan.”

 

The pretty boy shook his head and waved his hand around. “It’s nothing Hana. Just come down to the bonfire clearing when you’re done bathing and we’ll head down there. Okay?”

 

Hana nodded and watched Himchan leave before slipping out of the large bed.

 


 

 

Hana slid a pin through her hair and took one last look into the mirror before leaving the large bedroom. Hana held onto the wall as she walked down the cascade of stairs. Butterflies were fluttering in her stomach as she walked towards the bonfire. Through branches Hana could make out Himchan’s silhouette. The tiny blonde ducked under a branch and called out the male’s name softly.

 

Himchan turned around and smiled while beckoning Hana with his hand. Hana stepped out of the trees and approached him. He gave her a look of approval at Hana’s appearance. Himchan hooked his arm through hers and they began walking to the beach. As the two entered an area Hana had never visited or seen, she turned to question Himchan. “Where are we going?”

 

Himchan, not sparing the tiny girl a look, responded. “I thought we could take a different path to the beach. You haven’t done a lot of exploring of the island since you’ve gotten here and I thought today was the day you did.” Hana opened but shut it quickly before looking away while smiling.

 

When Himchan said they would be taking a different path, Hana thought he forgot to mention how long the path was from the shore. While the two walked in silence Hana couldn’t help but steal a look at Himchan. She noticed he had trimmed his hair, and the short cut gave Hana and anyone who looked a visible view of his pointy ears. Hana stopped walking and squeezed Himchan’s elbow. He stopped too and looked down at the tiny girl. “Can- may I?” Hana asked, her hand was inches away from his head. Himchan studied her hand with steady eyes before nodding slowly but not without a warning.

 

“Be gentle though, they are a little sensitive okay?” Hana nodded and carefully brushed her hand through his hair and up his tiny fox ears. Surprisingly the hairs around it were silky and clean, no dirt or debris in sight. Hana wondered if the taller male groomed his ears. The thought had Hana in a fit of giggles. She wouldn’t doubt for a second that Himchan did that.

 

“You’re rather excited. Does doing this really get you off?”

 

Hana gasped and retrieved her hand. “What?” Hana fell back on her feet and crossed her arms over her chest. “Excuse me if I’ve never done this before. I can’t exactly go into the woods and pet any animal I first encounter. They’re not entirely as obedient as you are.”

 

Himchan rolled his eyes and pulled his nonexistent fringe to the side, he also made a nose in the back of his throat. “Okay yeah sure.”

 

Hana shook her head and chuckled before quieting down. “Can I ask another question?” Himchan nodded and the two slowed down their pace. “Why are some of the other's horns larger than Yongguk's? Isn't he the leader?" 

 

Himchan raised his eyebrows but answered her. “Yongguk is a descendant of a bull, some have large horns​ and some don't.” Hana nodded but she still wasn't quite sure.

 

“So if Yongguk's horns are small why is he the leader?” Himchan narrowed his eyebrows together and frowned, what was Hana trying to get at? “Yongguk may be small in comparison to the other's horns but he's leader because of his guidance.” He replied with an edge to his tone. 

 

“I’m sorry?” Hana fell back and stopped walking completely. Himchan sighed and stopped too. 

 

“Yongguk is not a fighter. Our horns and antlers have a variety of uses. They include defending ourselves from predators and fighting members of our own for territory, dominance or mating priority. We fight for Yongguk so he can guide us.” Himchan started.

 

“The other's horns show how hard they fought to get where they are, what they have, and who they are.” Himchan finished. And for a moment it was silent between the two before Hana spoke. “How is Yongguk leader?”

 

“Yongguk was next in line so to speak, it was passed down from his father and so on.” He nodded, it was partially true. Yongguk was a born leader but then again anyone could be leader, they all just expected Yongguk to take that reign. The sound of waves splashing against land had Hana’s stomach fluttering. Hana was nervous about meeting the other things boys. Somehow their first impression of her mattered a lot to Hana. Himchan saw the uneasy look on Hana’s face and quickly began to calm her down.

 

“But don’t get the wrong impression of him, Hana. Just because Yongguk isn’t a fighter doesn’t mean he isn’t violent. He’s more of a peace maker but he fights, not physically rather say verbally.” Unbeknownst to him, that wasn’t what had Hana so worked up. But the tiny blonde took the information for future reference.

 

The ocean view became clearer and Hana could see the sand. Fits of laughter and shouting could be heard too and Hana’s breath caught in . Don’t be so nervous Hana, they’ll love you, Himchan mentally assured her. Hana breathed through her nose and smiled, her feet indulged into the sand. With Himchan by her side, they approached the bustling boys.