Sweet dreams

Lovesick

Be careful what you wish for, and if you don't want that wish to come true anymore, make sure to take it back before you have to face a rather unpleasant surprise.

Another lesson that Youngjae had learnt and one more that had been due to Daehyun.

The Busan beauty seemed to have paid for a flatrate of ‘Youngjae’s first experiences’. His first crush, first kiss, first heartbreak and now his first whatever – he wasn’t sure what to call it yet.

Much to Youngjae’s displeasure, Daehyun shared all of his courses, apart from the extra English classes he was taking. Daehyun sat behind him in most of their classes so far, at least Youngjae wouldn’t be tempted to steal glances at him that way.

He had to admit though, that Daehyun looked even better than he did before. The Busan boy hadn’t changed that much physically, apart from the few blonde strands that highlighted his still chocolate brown hair and his arms seemed to have increased in volume a little bit.

But there was something about his charisma that had changed. He seemed confident and content and for some reason, Youngjae didn’t like it.

People said that a man’s charisma gets stronger when he falls in love, maybe it was that.

After they had left Daehyun and his friends to join their new friends, Jaehyo had given him a very long speech about Daehyun’s girlfriend.

Apparently, Sunhwa was not only the hottest girl in their school but the most beautiful girl in Busan and Jaehyo had been after her for years.

But right after their exam holidays, Daehyun had suddenly announced to be dating her, what kind of caused his friendship to Jaehyo to break.

They went back to friendly terms when they graduated since Jaehyo hat decided that he had sulked long enough and girls weren’t even worth fighting over.

Knowing about Daehyun’s girlfriend had left Youngjae with mixed feelings. On the one hand, he was relieved that he finally had the reassurance about what Daehyun might or might not have felt for him, but on the other hand, knowing that he was in fact just a holiday fling for the older boy had made him wish to get the uncertainty back.

In the long run, the outcome was benefiting, though. He would get over him eventually, even if it might take longer now that he would have to see him nearly every day.

The thoughts running through his mind without giving him a break, had led to three almost sleepless nights so far. The dull ache in his skull was getting worse day by day, to the point that not even painkiller could ease the pain anymore.

Youngjae had promised himself to not let his feeling interfere with his studies. He had set himself the goal to get the best grades and graduate as quick as possible.

The new friends he had made really proved to be more helpful than he thought.

Himchan and Junhong were hanging out with their boyfriends every moment possible and of course Daehyun would tag along every time. Since Youngjae made sure to avoid him at all costs, this also meant to avoid his friends for now.

Himchan had cursed at him for at least half an hour the previous evening, urging him to talk to Daehyun but at some point he had tuned his friend out, only humming once in a while.

Daehyun had successfully convinced his friends to stop being mad at him, it didn’t even take him half a day and Youngjae felt abandoned. Whatever his excuse had been, it couldn’t have been good enough to pick him over their best friend.

Youngjae had only scoffed when Junhong announced that news. His friends had been persistent to get him to talk to Daehyun, to give him a chance to explain himself, but Daehyun himself had never made an effort to approach him again.

He only sent him an awkward smile every morning. At least he was considerate enough to leave him alone, not that the fact that his friends obviously preferred to hang out with Daehyun wasn’t enough already.

He definitely wouldn’t give Daehyun the satisfaction to come crawling back to them, if his friends had abandoned him so easily, they weren’t worth it anyway.

Especially Yukwon and Jihoon turned out to be an even better choice as friends than Youngjae had expected. They had exchanged their numbers on the very first day and even spent their evenings talking on the phone.

With Youngjae included, they were a group of eight friends. During their first lunch break, Minhyuk had introduced another friend of his, a fellow Junior called Taeil.

Youngjae had chuckled when he first saw the boy, who competed with Kyung for the spot of the shortest student of this university. Taeil had admitted that he was already wearing shoe lifts, which had made Youngjae laugh even more.

These people were quite unique and cheerful, and Youngjae was glad that he had met them. In only a few days, he had picked up enough random details about these boys to fill a book.

Jiho liked girls with full thighs, Kyung only used wet toilet paper, Jihoon didn’t like seafood, Jaehyo’s bathroom had a wallpaper with dolphins, Minhyuk had once won a ramen eating contest, Yukwon could manage to fit a lollipop into his mouth that was as big as his face and Taeil - well Taeil chased everything that had a nice pair of s.

Surprisingly, especially Youngjae and Yukwon were especially popular with the older girls. It hadn’t even been a week and Youngjae had already been asked out twice. He politely declined the girls, which had been a very difficult task with seven guys snickering behind him.

Taeil and Kyung had nagged at him for rejecting the ‘cuties’ as he had said, which weren’t cute at all in Youngjae’s opinion and he simply stated that they weren’t his type.

Regarding to Jiho, both of them were competing with each other who of them will get it on with the most ladies until they graduate. It was definitely entertaining for the rest of them.

 

“Youngjae,” Jihoon chirped into Youngjae’s ear.

Youngjae flinched, “Will you stop creeping up behind me already? I will get a heart attack one day.” He rubbed the back of his neck to get rid of the uncomfortable tingle that the sudden attack had left.

“Sorry, couldn’t resist,” Jihoon stated with a mischievous smile.

“Be thankful that you’re not Taeil hyung! Jihoon has been all over him,” Yukwon whispered lout enough for Jihoon to catch.

“Heeeey,” Jihoon growled with a deep voice that left Youngjae wondering how someone who looked as innocent as the boy could let out sounds like this.

Nobody seemed to take Jihoon’s weird protest seriously though, after a moment of complete silence everybody burst out laughing. Jiho even planted his cheek on the table when his palm repeatedly slammed down on the wooden surface to contain his laughter.

Even Jihoon clutched his stomach when the pain from his laughing became too much for him. He panted heavily and snatched Taeil’s bottle of water, taking a few big gulps.

“Are you up for a party this weekend?” Jihoon asked after they all had calmed down.

“I’m in,” Jiho responded without hesitating.

“Are there hot girls?” Jaehyo asked, making a few of them chuckle again, “What? Don’t judge me because you’re all ugly and don’t get any girls!” Jaehyo retorted snootily.

“Don’t be too full of yourself when the other Jae is way more popular than you are, pretty boy,” Jiho said with a smirk.

“Doesn’t count when he doesn’t even get laid.”

“You know that the innocent looking ones are the worst! Just look at Taeil. I bet Youngjae secretly got ‘em all!” Jiho explained, the smirk still plastered in his face.

All the attention was on Youngjae now, making him feel uneasy. “No comment,” he replied and put on a secretive smile before continuing, “But I’m also in.”

“Are there some nice ladies or not?” Jaehyo asked with a muffled voice as he was currently chewing lazily on his chopsticks.

“More than you can count,” Jihoon assured him.

“Alright, we all will join!” Jaehyo said, his mouth still full of food.

“Who said that?” Yukwon asked mockingly.

“Easy, I worked all of you out already. Where ever there are ladies, there are Taeil and Kyung. Jico is always in for some fun. Where ever Youngjae goes, you follow like a puppy. Same goes for Minhyukie, as long as you’re there, he will not mind tagging along.” Jaehyo explained with a look of accomplishment in his face.

Yukwon blushed slightly, stuttering out a shy “S-stop speaking nonsense.” He warily looked at Youngjae to estimate his reaction. Youngjae sent him a bright smile that made his eyes crinkle which made Yukwon only blush even more.

“Aw, don’t be shy Yukwon, even I find him almost too cute to resist,” Jaehyo cooed and pat Yukwon’s shoulder triumphantly but his smile dropped when met the gaze of a sour looking Minhyuk.

***

Youngjae dreaded going to university every day. But thankfully it was Friday and he would get a few days of break. It wasn’t that he couldn’t follow the lectures, he was quite smart and apart from the fact that the amount of stuff to learn increased quite a lot, he didn’t think he would face any troubles. But he needed a break from Daehyun.

He grew to hate hearing his voice and especially his laugh and what he hated the most was that it wasn’t him why Daehyun was laughing. Ruffling his hair in annoyance, he tried to get rid of the thoughts of that boy again.

Much to his annoyance it just started raining, soaking his hair and sweater in no time. He sped up until he was almost running and sighed in relief when finally reached the university.

Without making a detour, he went straight to the bathroom, trying to rescue what was left from his styling. He silently cursed when he finally admitted defeat, knowing that there was no way he would manage to make himself look less like a poodle without at least a hairbrush.

The ends of his hair curled slightly when he shook his head to get rid of as much moisture as possible. With a final look into the mirror, he pushed the door open to face the world, praying that this day would go by fast.

He was almost in front of the lecture hall, when a girl approached him. She had long black hair, a sculptured nose, big eyes and small but pouty lips. Even though he wasn’t attracted to girls, he could tell that she was objectively pretty. A smile tugged on his lips when he thought about Jaehyo’s reaction if he were here with him.

That gesture encouraged the girl to speak. She fiddled with the hem of her shirt and looked to the ground when she handed Youngjae an envelope.

A love letter? He thought that this was something only high school students would do but otherwise, that girl seemed pretty shy and maybe she just couldn’t express her emotions that well.

He thanked her and accepted the letter, feeling guilty when he saw a happy smile on the girl’s lips. But what was he supposed to do? Should he say, sorry you’re cute but I prefer ? He decided that this would be a bad idea and shook off his backpack to tuck away the letter.

She opened to say something but got distracted by something behind him. Her eyes widened in confusion and before Youngjae could turn around to see what had caught her attention, he felt something warm being thrown on his shoulders.

His eyes automatically followed the piece of cloth that hung loosely over his shoulders and he frowned when he realized that it was his cardigan. The cardigan that Daehyun had been walking around with all week.

He lifted his head, locking gazes with Daehyun, who was standing dangerously close to him. The envelope in his hand started to crumple when his fist clenched subconsciously.

Daehyun paid no attention to his expression when he started wrapping the cardigan around his body. Youngjae was completely frozen, not even fighting when Daehyun took the letter out of his hand and tugged on his arm to put it into the sleeves.

The only part of Youngjae’s body that was still able to function were his eyes, if he tried to ignore his rapidly beating heart, which followed Daehyun’s every movement carefully. When Youngjae was finally dressed, Daehyun moved in front of him, buttoning up the cardigan and blocking his sight of the girl, not that he still paid her any mind anyway.

Youngjae dared to take a look at Daehyun’s face, taking in every inch. He noticed that Daehyun’s skin had tanned quite a lot during the summer and he was annoyed at himself for thinking how attractive it made him look and how it made his dark eyes shine even more.

But he also noticed that Daehyun looked somewhat mad. The elder’s eyebrows were furrowed and his lips were pressed into a thin line, if that was possible for someone with lips as thi

ck as this.

When Daehyun was done buttoning the cardigan, he let his hands still rest on the collar of the soft fabric not meeting Youngjae’s gaze. Youngjae used this opportunity to find out what was going on.

“What’s that?” he asked, trying to sound annoyed and mostly trying to hide the sparks of excitement that the elder’s action had ignited.

“It’s yours and you look like you need it,” Daehyun mumbled and shrugged, still avoiding to look Youngjae in the eyes.

For some reason that made Youngjae angry, why did Daehyun even care? He didn’t get to vocalize his thoughts though, as Daehyun yanked on his sleeve and urged him to move, barely giving him the time to grab his backpack.

Youngjae was utterly confused when Daehyun simply walked off after they had rounded a corner. He stood there for a moment, trying to comprehend what had happened. The cute girl was forgotten already, it wouldn’t make any difference anyway since Daehyun had taken the envelope with him.

Youngjae didn’t mind, not at all. After looking around to see if the older was out of sight, he nuzzled into the collar of the cardigan and inhaled the smell. It was obvious that Daehyun had been wearing it, the scent of his cologne was all over the fabric.

Without realizing, a content smile graced his face.

 

The rest of the day went by in a blur; the only thing that Youngjae could recall from that day was the hint of a smile on Daehyun’s face every time he had set his eyes on Youngjae to see if he was still wearing the cardigan.

When Youngjae finally arrived home, he took a hot shower and reheated some of the kimchi stew his mother had made.

For once he was happy that his parents were both working. He just wanted to rest as the past week was mentally exhausting.

Once the food was devoured and the dishes were washed, he put his cardigan back on. As it was quite late already, he decided to get comfortable and watch TV until he went to sleep.

He made himself comfortable under the duvet and put on the latest episode of Dexter, which was his favourite TV show at the moment.

The cardigan brushed over the skin of his arms, making him smile that it was still as soft as before. An extra bonus was the constant smell of Daehyun that made his heart beat roughly.

Daehyun was still wearing the same cologne that he had been wearing in April and Youngjae remembered how much he had liked it and still did. He nuzzled his nose into the fabric and soon he was so absorbed in thoughts of the Busan beauty that he didn’t pay attention to the show.

Before he realized, he fell asleep in the comfort of his happy memories with Daehyun. He would never admit this moment of weakness to anyone, this would be his secret.

Surprisingly, this was the most relaxing sleep he had had in a week, a deep slumber filled with sweet dreams of Daehyun.