Part I

Mermaid's Tears (Give Me Hope)

Title: Mermaid's Tears (Give Me Hope)

Pairings: Sehun x Kyungsoo; onesided!Jongin x Kyungsoo, onesided!Luhan x Sehun

Theme: Fantasy, Romance, Fluff, Semi-angst(?)

Rating: PG-13 (in this chapter)

Word Count: For this part, 5,493 words

Warning/s: Tilt screen to see. Character death (not in this part though); evil!Luhan (just saying)

Author's note: This is way long overdue, I'm sorry. ; u ; Also, this is not all of it. I'm still not done with the story. I don't think I'll be able to update soon, seeing that this coming week and the week after is my finals. I'll try to finish it when I can. Sorry. ; A ;

 

 


 

 

The water’s cold, so cold, but it doesn’t entice Kyungsoo to stray off the shore. He relishes the harsh bites of the unmerciful water. It tingles his nerves and heightens his senses. He feels alive and ignited like a blazing fire that burns so bright and that’s all that matters to him at the moment.

 

If he was to burn, he’d like to burst so bright it’ll leave no ashes behind.

 

The sea breeze is calming and the musty smell of the salty water wafts through the air in a reassuring manner. Kyungsoo can feel the knots on his back slowly disentangling themselves, turning his tight muscles and stiff posture to go lax. It’s a few moments before daybreak, the shadows of yesterday still balancing in between the limbo of past and present, but instead of being frightened of being left in the dark throes of not yesterday yet also not today, it leaves his mind at peace.

 

Kyungsoo feels as if he holds the key of time because the world’s in deep slumber and unmoving while he’s yielding towards his destination of finality.

 

He supposes the unknown should trigger the fear that’s coiled deep within him; however, all it brings forth now is the excitement of finally knowing what goes after the end. It’s blinding, so blinding, yet he sees what he thinks is a silhouette of a person waiting for him at the opposite end.

 

If what awaits him at the end is the pleasant warmth of that person filled with tenderness, then he knows everything will be fine.

 

 

Kyungsoo dreams to someday be able to live above the water. He wishes to graze along the land and discover things unknown to him (things not usually found in water which is basically everything growing in the soil) alongside someone, his special someone.

 

He doesn’t hate the life he has in the water as per say but everything just becomes that monochromatic blue, all dull and blunt. Everything is too mundane (and that’s quite a feat to declare since there are endless of creatures creeping beneath the ocean but it’s nothing out of the ordinary for Kyungsoo already. He’s been to almost every nook and cranny because that’s all he and Jongin, and almost every mermaid, gets to do for fun) and ridiculously blue, and wet (but when you’re already under the water and all you feel is liquid every which way you go, ever since you came to life, do you still consider yourself wet?). Sure they’re not exactly forbidden to glimpse the outer world, but they’re also not entirely allowed to go up there and stay for long durations of time. Kyungsoo doesn’t know when the law forbidding them with any human interaction came to be, all he knows is that it’s been implemented ever since he was born and it’s heavily enforced.

 

He heard rumors circulating around that the law breakers, the brave but foolish ones, who were found were immediately taken care of. How they did it and what they did were all questions commonly asked but out rightly unanswered, the more you seek the answer the more lost you get; heavy foreboding omits throughout the ocean once such a thing was to be breached, let alone be placed in your mind. He admits it’s logical because the bond that they had formed with the land dwellers had long expired and, not to mention, those people seem hell-bent on killing them, and, if not death, they were made exotic pets shown around as trophies instead of being treated as the same intelligent equal beings they really are (they all stem out from the same ancestors but humans tend to overlook that fact and ridicule mermaids as lowly being with the same stature as measly beasts). However, it’s because of that same law that prohibits him from actually pursuing his dreams to venture the world outside his tiny bubble.

 

The relief of Kyungsoo’s monotonous life comes in the form of Jongin, his sea witch friend who is actually just a five year old stuck in a teenager’s body. He can never read what’s going on inside Jongin’s head.

 

Kyungsoo is dawdling around Jongin’s cave, silently watching as his friend brews another weird concoction of his. “Jongin, are we just going to stay here all day?”

“In a minute, hyung. I’m almost done.” The younger answers, eyes staring intently at his potions. He shakes the potion and beams. “There! All done.”

“Great, so, where should we go today?” Kyungsoo stretches his arms.

There’s a scary glint present in Jongin’s eyes and, as he smiles really wide, Kyungsoo slowly backs away. “To the reefs near the shore!”

Kyungsoo deadpans. “Near the shore. Near. The. Shore.”

“The one and only. It’s really stifling just swimming here, we need to explore new parts of the ocean and the reefs located near the shore is the place to go. Besides, I need to observe something for my experiment.”

“No,” Kyungsoo immediately shots Jongin’s offer down.

Jongin’s smile fell. “Hyung, come on, let’s go,” the younger man whines, petulant to Kyungsoo’s rejection. “It’s really not dangerous out there. Plus, don’t you want a change of scenery? The fishes over there are more playful too!”

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo gives him a pointed glare, “as much as I want to swim away from all this boring, I also don’t want to be whisked away by the law regulators. I don’t want to wake up one day in someplace horrible and not recognize the way home. Or worse, get myself killed. I would completely be wiped off the radar and then one day I’ll just be ‘that boy who disappeared because of being dumb,’ instead of being ‘Do Kyungsoo, that wonderful young man with the voice of an angel!’ Might I also add that my brother will certainly kill me before any regulators can even get to me?”

“Oh please,” Jongin dismisses his best friend’s hysteria. “For someone who always complains about wanting to go on adventures, you’re such a fearful guy. Let me tell you, if you want adventure, you need guts to bend the rules in order to embark on one.”

Kyungsoo crosses his arms, a dead set expression resting on his face. “Say whatever you want, my answer is still no.”

Jongin quietens before he smirks, all evil and foreboding. Kyungsoo gulps.

 

 

Kyungsoo awkwardly floats by the reefs, eyes flitting from place to place occasionally. “Jongin, I think we already spent enough time out here, let’s head back already.”

“Hyung, we just arrived here thirty seconds ago,” Jongin stares at him unamusedly.

“Yeah, thirty seconds too long. Let’s go!” The older hisses vehemently. “Let’s go home already!”

Jongin adamantly refuses, opting to defy his friend and stand his ground. “I’m perfectly fine here, hyung. If you really want, you can just go home by yourself.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes flit from Jongin to the pathway home, lips quivering as he weighs the choices. With a resigned sigh, Kyungsoo swims closer to the reef, stares hard at an anemone and sulks. “Fine, you win.”

Jongin bites his lower lip, preventing his smile from forming and holding his tongue for any cheeky remark. “Glad you finally saw the light, Soo-hyung.”

Kyungsoo pokes the anemone, watching the fishes dart around the plant. “Whatever, you brat.”

“By the way, hyung,” Jongin comes to his side. “Drink this.” He tosses a small vial with a purple liquid inside.

“What is it?” Kyungsoo aks, suspicious of the potion.

“The potion I just finished today. It’s supposed to give you a pair of human legs, and I want to give you the honor of experiencing it firsthand.” The witch said.

“In other words, I’m your guinea pig.” Kyungsoo blurts out pointedly.

Jongin stage gasps. “Hyung! What kind of a monster do you think I am? I would never use you for that.”

“Save it.” Kyungsoo flicks Jongin’s forehead. “What are the side effects?”

“Nothing crucial, just some tingling feeling. I don’t think you’ll feel it. I made sure to lessen the extremity of the tingles.” Jongin explains.

“I’ll hold you to your words. If I get poisoned by this, Yifan-hyung will surely avenge my death.” The older threatens.

“You really need a better threat. Your brother can’t possibly kill me. He loves me like his own brother too. Besides, don’t you trust me, hyung?” Jongin dismisses the threat.

“I honestly don’t.”

“Ouch.”

Kyungsoo swallows the weird liquid, slightly cringing from the extreme sweetness. “Why is this so sweet?”

“It sells better if your potions are sweet and not bitter,” Jongin shrugs. “Do you feel the tingles yet?”

“I just drank it though?” The doe eyed man gives him a confused look.

“It’s supposed to work immediately,” Jongin’s eyebrows furrows. “Did I miscalculate? Was it not potent enough to work? It should’ve worked!” Jongin keeps grumbling until he finally gives up and sighs. “I guess it was a failure.”

Kyungsoo places his hand on the younger man’s shoulder. “Hey, it’s okay. At least, I didn’t die. Who knows, maybe it’ll work later? I’ll tell you the results if it ever does happen.”

“Yeah, being alive’s always a good thing. Thanks hyung, I appreciate it.” Jongin weakly smiles. “Well, since we’re here, we might as well roam around and explore the vicinity. It’s not everyday that we get to explore the shallow areas and actually see the filtered sunlight better.”

 

To say that Kyungsoo had fun wouldn’t be a lie, but it won’t exactly be the truth either. He couldn’t stop worrying about getting caught and then suffering the consequence later. He knew he mentioned wishing for something exciting to happen in his dreary life, but this was just too much for his heart. He’d really rather he be kept alive, body fully intact. However, as much as he didn’t want to admit it out loud, he enjoyed the new environment. It all looked livelier compared to the dark surroundings that they were used to.

 

Since they were in shallower waters, the light from above filters through much nicely than it did on the deeper end of the ocean. The colors of the fishes were also more vivid and striking, matching the brightly lit atmosphere. If this is how it looks like below and they’re not even close by the shore, what more if he was actually in land! Just the thought of feeling the sun’s rays warming his skin and seeing the colorful outside world only heard of in the stories makes him dizzy with excitement.

 

“Hyung,” Jongin rattles him from his stupor.

“Huh? What?”

“I need to get going now, I just recalled my parents telling me to be back early to settle something, but you’re more than welcome to stay a while longer. I promise I’ll keep it a secret to Yifan-hyung.”

“Wait, Jongin,” Kyungsoo takes hold of his younger friend’s arm. “Maybe I’ll just go with you.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Jongin pries Kyungsoo’s hands away. “I saw how your eyes looked when you were scanning this place. Just admit it, you like being here. A little extension won’t hurt.”

“Well,” Kyungsoo bashfully twiddles his thumbs. “I guess you’re right.”

“That’s the spirit, hyung. I’ll see you later then.”

 

Kyungsoo waves his friend goodbye and slightly rubs his arms. A little exploration here and there won’t be too dangerous, he deems.

 

 

Kyungsoo swims around, eyes popping out in awe. There are some fishes that he rarely sees venture out in the deeper parts and their fluorescent color attracts Kyungsoo a lot. Although he was given the freedom, Kyungsoo couldn’t get himself to take the risk and peer above the water. It doesn’t sit right to him, knowing once he catches a glimpse of the outer world, he’ll tread in unknown waters and cross that forbidden line no mermaid ever want to pass again after countless tragedies befalling upon them.

 

Unbeknownst to Kyungsoo, as he was continuously mesmerised by the sight, a contraption was slowly sinking down around him and some of the fishes. By the time he realized it, the net already caught him and he was on his way above the surface of the water, being hauled by a fisherman. Kyungsoo thrashes around with the fishes, desperate to stay in the water.

 

Oh no, Kyungsoo panics, I can’t get caught. I’ll get killed!

 

No matter how much he thrashes, the damn net just wouldn’t budge. Before he knows it, he’s already staring at the perpetrator responsible for his capture.

 

The fisherman’s eyes widens significantly but, other than that, his face was unreadable. If it were any other time, and Kyungsoo was looking at him from afar, he would have thought the man was breathtakingly handsome. Such thought shouldn’t be given light at such a time though, because the alarming issue at hand is much more significant.

 

The fisherman produces a dagger from his bag and Kyungsoo visibly cowers. “Please, please don’t kill me. Let me go.”

 

The man narrows his eyes at the merman talking, “How do I know you won’t get me killed the moment I let you free? What if you’re that same siren who almost dragged me down to his coven?”

 

“Please,” Kyungsoo begs, eyes becoming moist and hands clutching the net tightly. “I promise I won’t do anything to you. I’m not a siren, I’m a mermaid. Sirens have distinct icy blue eyes and glittering serpent-like lower halves to lure their prey in. I can’t prove any of this to you right now with evidence but please, please let me live.” Droplet after droplet of tears fall from Kyungsoo’s eyes, racking his body with barely concealed sobs.

 

The fisherman lowers his blade, the merman’s pitiful eyes rousing sympathy from within him. “I believe you so there’s no need for you to cry. Come on, stop crying.” He grabs the net and unsheathes the dagger once again, not missing the slight shivers exuding from the petite male. He slashes at the top of the net, the knot entrapping Kyungsoo and the fishes coming undone.

 

Before Kyungsoo falls inside the little boat, something strange happens to his tail. It first came as a tingly sensation that he could barely feel and just pass off as something associated to his horror of getting captured, but it then escalated to painful prickles. Kyungsoo massages his tail, worrying that this might propose as a hindrance to his escape; however, as soon as his fingers glide through what used to be scales, he touched flesh. Disbelief flashes through the mermaid and fisherman’s eyes as soon as the former settles down on the wooden boat. What used to be a tail paired with fins and scales transitioned into a pair of pale, milky legs out of nowhere.

 

“Well, that settles that then. You’re really not a siren. This never happened when I captured a siren before.” The fisherman breaks the silence thickly shrouding the both of them. Kyungsoo merely stares in bafflement. What?

 

 

The swim back home was nerve wracking for Kyungsoo. All that he could think of was how he earned a pair of limbs and was human in all sense. The adrenaline and fear from getting caught was also there, although it was sort of overpowered by the sense of intrigue and wonder as to why, and how legs were present in his lower half the moment he was out of water, making contact with the musky air for the very first time. Did Jongin’s potion actually work? Was air contact the trigger for the transformation? He needs to talk to Jongin about this fast. Needless to say, sleep evades him like air you try to confine in your hands.

 

Kyungsoo manages to tell Jongin about his predicament three days later, it’s not as soon as Kyungsoo had wanted but the sea witch has a hectic schedule with merpeople beckoning for help at an almost daily occurrence and there’s nothing he can do about it.

 

“It’s just a one time thing, right? My tail won’t turn into legs anymore once it’s exposed to air, right, Jongin?” Kyungsoo agonizes.

 

Jongin nibbles on his bottom lip, unsure of what to say. “I haven’t exactly figured out how long the potion lasts, hyung. It could be as you say, or it could last for a longer time, maybe even a lifetime. If I were to hypothesize, based on my ingredients, I’m afraid it’s going to last for a very long time.”

 

“What.” Kyungsoo stares blankly at him. There’s nothing in his eyes that hint any of his emotions and it’s scaring Jongin. Kyungsoo’s never this apathetic and it’s frankly frightening. “KIM JONGIN!!!” And there he blows.

 

It takes Kyungsoo a week until he comes back to the shallow waters. He wouldn’t admit it but he was entranced by the fisherman’s beauty. There was something in said man’s eyes that causes him to shiver inside. The man haunts his dreams at night and leaves him with a longing heart when he wakes up. However, after that getting captured incident, he’s cautious not to swim too near the shore and instead opts for the slightly deeper area and hide between enormous rocks. He looks out for any sight of the fisherman’s boat but gets disappointed when he doesn’t spot him. Kyungsoo leaves with a slight heavy heart but decides it was better that way anyway.

 

 

The second time Kyungsoo actually sees Sehun was by some accident. Jongin had dragged him to the reefs by force during the night time, exclaiming how needed some sort of getaway from all the work he’d been swamped with. And, like most other times, he indulges the younger of his wishes.

 

“Hyung, we should name this place.” The sea witch starts.

“Why?” Kyungsoo gives him a quizzical look.

“Why shouldn’t we? It’s our new hangout place!” Jongin spreads his arms, grinning widely.

“I wasn’t informed this will be our new hangout place,” The older narrows his eyes at the younger, eyes full of accusation.

“Oh, come on! I like it, you like it, so why not?”

“Jongin.”

“Let’s call it The Alcove! You know because it’s located in a secluded and separate area from the beach.” Jongin smiles, excited about the idea.

“Ugh, do I even have a say in this.” Kyungsoo slouches.

“No.” Jongin’s smile brightens.

 

Jongin wanted to stay longer but, like last time, he had to go back once a jellyfish approached him and relayed a message. He had been called for an errand again. He grimaces a little, “I have to go back now, hyung. Just enjoy your time as I go ahead. Later.”

 

Jongin flew out the place faster than Kyungsoo can even utter a reply back. Kyungsoo heaves a deep sigh, looking around the place. He glances upwards, tempted to sneak a peek of the world above once more. He darts his eyes around the place again until deciding that no one can catch and report him to the higher authorities.

 

Kyungsoo gasps a lungful of air as soon as he breaks the surface and marvels at the sight. He couldn’t admire it the first time but now that he had the chance to do so, the beauty engulfing him takes the air right out of him. It was dark outside but the glint of the stars and the soft glow of the moon gives the place an ethereal look unseen in the deep ocean, it gives Kyungsoo all the more reason to be fascinated by it. The sound of a boat treading through the water alerts Kyungsoo and, the moment he turned his head sidewards, the phantom of his dreams stares right at him.

 

A ghost of a smirk dances through Sehun’s lips as he sees the mermaid act all bashful, submerging half of his face in the water. Pity, Sehun quite likes looking at his full face. “What are you doing back here again? Didn’t you learn from your previous mistake, little fishie?”

Kyungsoo glares at the man, failing at coming out strong. “Excuse me, but as you can see I’m not exactly a little fish.” He huffs and puff before settling down into pouting alone, arms crossed against his chest.

“Oh? But with your fin and tail, you might as well be one.”

“Humph, arrogant human!”

 

The playful argument passed between the fisherman and the mermaid became the catalyst to one eccentric friendship. Kyungsoo no longer feared going to the Alcove near the shore, let alone swim to the surface. He has learned how to disregard the law and enjoy himself silly with the companion of one stoic fisherman. If Jongin even noticed his sudden excitement to go to their secret hangout, or observed his growing frequent visits to the Alcove, he doesn’t let on his suspicion. Before Kyungsoo realized it, between the banters that both he and Sehun shared, the latter somehow managed to wedge himself deep within his heart and it scared him to a fault. He’d slowly started craving for that smirk that would dance around the edges of one fisherman’s lips; he’d become addicted Sehun and he’s frightened.

 

After all, addiction is just one step away from the brink of destruction.

 

 

“Kyungsoo,” Sehun breaks the silence blanketing around them, the reflection of the half full moon in the calm water glaring at them.

“Hmm?” Kyungsoo looks up from his staring session with the sea that looks like liquidized silver under the soft glow of the night. His skin jumps a little once he sees Sehun’s close proximity to his face.

Sehun tenderly smiles at him, usual playfulness (that he loves) gone in his eyes as pure affection replaces them. “I like you.”

Kyungsoo gasps a little as a pair of soft lips engages in a kiss with his full lips. He closes his lids and dazedly relishes the softness of the kiss. It was chaste and short but still stupefies him. He glances at Sehun from under his lashes when he pulls away, “I think I like you too.”

 

Sehun’s laughter reverberates throughout the entire place, all airy and sweet like Spring’s fresh breeze, then he kisses Kyungsoo once again with more vigor.

 

 

“Kyungsoo, where are you going?” his brother Yifan calls out to him.

“Just by the reefs,” Kyungsoo eagerly replies, tail tingling to just swim out immediately no matter how rude it may seem.

Yifan’s brows shoots up a notch, “What’s in the reefs that got you all hyperactive?”

Kyungsoo swishes his tail back and forth, a nervous habit of his that he has yet to rid of. “Nothing. Jongin and I are just going to play around there, yeah, and maybe sing…?” He closes his eyes and scolds himself internally. Such a smooth liar you are, Kyungsoo.

 

If his brother notices his uncertainty and lie, he doesn’t call him out on it. Instead, Yifan just hums and wishes him and Jongin to have a nice time and to not venture out too far in the shallow waters, lest they want to get tangled up in fishnets (Kyungsoo keeps mum once the sentence leaves his brother’s lips).

 

Kyungsoo releases the breath he didn’t know he was holding, he’s relieved to have gotten out of that horrible lie. With renown vigor, Kyungsoo swims fast towards the reef, his royal blue scales glittering magnificently as it hit some of the moon beams that managed to filter through the deep ocean floor. As he nears the Alcove, he sees the lonesome figure of his best friend.

 

“Jongin-ah!” Kyungsoo yelled.

Jongin looks up and waves him over. “Hyung! Hurry up!”

Kyungsoo swims nearer and looks at him confusedly, “What are you hurrying me up for? We still have plenty of time left before my family wonders where I am.”

Jongin shakes his head, “It’s not that, I just have less time today. I still have to attend practice for the musical assembly we’ll be having this coming full moon.”

“Oh, that’s right!” Kyungsoo gasps. “Jongin-ah, what should I do?”

“Why?” Jongin looks at his hyung skeptically.

“I still haven’t practiced on my piece yet! Ugh, I’m going to embarrass myself if I don’t find a song still.” Kyungsoo grabs a fistful of his hair, clearly distressed by the revelation.

“Aigoo,” Jongin sighs dramatically. “How did this even slip through your mind?”

Kyungsoo just grins sheepishly causing the younger to roll his eyes. “Seriously, hyung. Just sing that one song you made, it sounded pretty good anyway.”

“No, that’s reserved for a certain pair of ears only,” Kyungsoo puffs his cheeks.

“Then I don’t know!” Jongin throws his hands up in defeat. “Just make another one or use those other songs you already know.”

Kyungsoo just lets himself stay afloat, going whichever direction the current flows. “Whatever, if all else fails I’ll just sing some old love song those audience seem to be a er of.” He waves his hand dismissively.

Jongin comes up to his hyung and holds him, swaying their bodies back and forth. “Aigoo, what am I going to do with this hyung of mine? How is he going to live life this naively?”

Kyungsoo erupts in laughter, “Shut up you brat! So disrespectful.”

 

Moments later, a dark shadow looms directly above them and two stones plop down the water. Kyungsoo beams while Jongin puts on a disinterested face.

 

Jongin didn’t fully approve of Kyungsoo and Sehun’s relationship. During the time when Kyungsoo confided to him about it, he almost exploded in rage and jealousy but, upon seeing his friend’s crushed look, he buried it underneath his heart and stiffly gave Kyungsoo his blessing. He wanted to shout at the smaller male’s face about the unfairness of the situation (he knew him first so why did a stranger beat him against stealing the fair man’s heart?) but kept himself in check, he didn’t want to alarm his friend. He’s Kyungsoo’s steady anchor and so he must keep up the facade (although, somewhere deep inside, he knows he’s slowly becoming replaced by Sehun as Kyungsoo’s steadfast foundation).

 

“Jongin, I’ll be back later okay? Just signal me if there’s ever an emergency,” Kyungsoo says while swimming towards the surface.

“Sure, hyung. Have fun and be careful,” Jongin smiles wistfully at the disappearing figure soon becoming a blur in the distance.

 

Jongin wonders if this is how his love will turn in the end, just a blur of unrequitedness. A fog in the mirror that’s hastily forgotten but always existing.

 

 

Kyungsoo breaks through the surface and inhales the sea breeze deeply. He gazes upwards only to meet soft brown eyes looking his way already. His insides melt from the longing and want which reflects in those brown orbs.

 

“Sehun,” Kyungsoo speaks softly at the man.

“Kyungsoo,” Sehun speaks in an equal low tone. “How are you, my love?” He cradles Kyungsoo’s face gingerly, almost unbelieving that the beautiful man he’s touching right now is his.

Kyungsoo reels in to the warm touch, his hands overlapping his lover’s. “I missed you so much.”

“Shush,” Sehun hushes him with a kiss, “I’m here now and that’s all that matters.”

 

Sehun grabs Kyungsoo by the armpits and takes him out of the water with much ease from experience. Kyungsoo holds Sehun’s arms tightly, a little bit scared of falling (but Sehun is strong and won’t ever let go). The younger placed Kyungsoo carefully in his boat, providing some towels along with blankets immediately.

 

The transition of tail turning into legs always catches Sehun in awe. Kyungsoo looks beautiful in the water with his deep blue tail peeking just below the dark velvety ocean surface, but with just blankets covering his most intimate parts and with legs so smooth, he’s even more surreal and breathtaking under the caressing light of the waning moon. Kyungsoo is an exquisite art that came to life.

 

Feeling the heat of someone’s stare, Kyungsoo envelops himself more with the blankets before surreptitiously peeking underneath his bangs. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

Sehun presents him a smile he only spares for the mermaid, “I need to have a reason  to gawk at my boyfriend now?”

The older’s cheeks erupt in pink, a color befitting for his ivory smooth skin.  He palms his face, “Ahhh, what’s wrong with you? You’re driving me nuts with these lines of yours.”

The human laughs, the sound filling Kyungsoo’s ears like the melodious sound of spring gracing the Earth. It’s soft and mellow, something that reaches deep within the mermaid’s heart and stays rooted. “You very much like it though.” Kyungsoo stays mum, neither confirming nor denying. Sehun embraces Kyungsoo to his chest, murmuring softly on his hair. “Aigoo, my cute little mermaid is all flustered.”

“Who are you calling little,” Kyungsoo mumbles, disgruntled but nonetheless returning the hug “I’m older than you.”

“Older but shorter,” the younger teases, causing Kyungsoo to slap his chest playfully.

 

The two lovers stay adrift in the sea, the quarter moon as their only guide under the dead silence of the night. Their nightly rendezvous usually consist of butterfly kisses here and there until what used to be innocent, fleeting touches turn into frantic, needy ones. Skin glides against skin until no boundaries can be distinguished, where one begins and ends is no longer visible.

 

Far off the distance, icy blue eyes glint maliciously at the two lovers. The night air turns frigid, there is a metallic scent wafting along the breeze. A possible storm is brewing.

 

 

It’s a Saturday, and Saturdays always mean a busy day in the marketplace. Various sounds, from catcalls of fresh ingredients to bargains of newly cut meat and just caught fishes, surround the entirety of the said market. It’s noisy but it’s the kind of noise that can be said as nothing but a mere buzz in the ears for Sehun who has long been used to such activities flourishing in the vicinity. He stops by a fishing stall to drop off his catch of the day.

 

“Hey, Sehun.” An old friend of his greets.

“Hey, Joonmyun-hyung,” Sehun nods. “How much do you think I can sell these for.” He motions towards the sack of fishes he holds in his hands and gives it to the stall owner.

Joonmyun opens the sack a bit and whistles at the fishes contained inside. “Wow, Sehun. This must be your year, huh? You’ve been catching quite a lot this past few months.”

A small quirk of the lips encases itself on the younger’s face. “Let’s just say I found a good place to fish and someone has been gracious enough to share me such secret place.”

“Well, I can tell you that person is quite gracious indeed.” Joonmyun hauls the fishes in the weighing scale and hums in approval. “A good amount in weight too. I can give you a total sum of ten silver pieces for this.”

“Are you sure, hyung?” Sehun stares at the sack, a bit unsure.

“Yeah, Joonmyun, are you sure?” A voice drifts near out of nowhere.

“I’m quite sure. You can check if you want, Jongdae.” Joonmyun crosses his arms and makes way for his husband.

“Sorry about this, Sehun, but I can’t let Joonmyun handle this alone. Who knows, he might have overpriced or underpriced it. We don’t want that to happen, it’s bad for the business.” Jongdae shakes his head at the younger and chuckles when his husband squawks in indignation.

Sehun laughs softly at the couple’s squabble. “It’s alright, hyung. I also wouldn’t want that to happen to your guys’ business. This is the only place I fully trust when it comes to bargaining with my catch.”

“Hmmm, Joonmyun seems to have counted it alright,” Jongdae computes while looking at the numbers present in the weighing scale, quite determined to ignore his husband’s huffs of “Of course I was correct.” He gives Sehun his payment and smiles his cheshire cat grin when he knows he’s got a good deal. “Pleasure doing business with you. Do come by again soon.”

“Thanks, hyung. I’ll get going now.” Sehun waves goodbye to the duo once he’s got his money hidden securely.

 

As soon as Sehun nears the edge of town, he stops walking, standing directly in the middle of the bridge that acts as the borderline, and turns around, facing whomever followed him. The first things he see are striking golden, brown hair, wide doe eyes, and soft pink lips.

 

“Who are you?” Sehun implores the stranger. “Why have you been following me the whole day?”

The stranger approaches Sehun, lips curled in a coy smile. “Don’t you remember me?” He lets his hands roam around Sehun’s bicep. “I never thought I’d see a day when someone would forget someone like me.”

Sehun snatches his arm away, looking at the boy in disbelief at such outrageous act. The doe eyed boy levels his stare and gives his own cold look. The stranger’s eyes turned from its warm chocolate hue to an icy blue tint. “Maybe this should remind you?”