Nothing to Fear

Nothing to Fear

It was an unusually cool summer evening, which was a nice change from the intense heat that occurred throughout the day. Sunggyu took it as an opportunity to spend some much-needed time with you. Ever since Infinite's comeback, the hours of practice had taken up all of his free time, causing the two of you to drift apart. You had been wanting to see him for a while now, and he had constantly promised that you would soon. The two of you discussed his visit over the phone; once he was done with work, he would come over to your place so that the two of you could watch a movie together. You agreed, on one condition: No horror movies. He sounded a little disappointed at your request, but he accepted nonetheless.
You were sitting on the floor of your living room, reading a book that you had meant to start months ago. Sunggyu wasn't the only one with a busy schedule; you were partially to blame for the two of you drifting apart, and you knew it. Your job had demanded a lot out of you. Some nights, you'd come home and go straight to bed without even taking your shoes off. You took a brief look around the room, wondering if you should tidy up before he got there...

"Hello, it's me!" you heard someone call as the door to your apartment opened. "Tch! really now," he muttered under his breath. "You should learn how to lock your door, you can't always expect it to be me, yeah?" It was undoubtedly Sunggyu.
"You should learn how to knock," you retorted. He shut the door and took off his shoes. He was carrying two bags, which he set down in front of you.
"I brought snacks," he said, "I got them after stopping by the movie rental."
"Wow! You really know how to spoil me," you laughed, taking a peek inside each bag. There were two boxes of candy, a six-pack of soda, and microwaveable popcorn. "This will be fun!" you said excitedly.

"What, no 'thank you'?" teased Sunggyu. You immediately stood up and gave him a hug.
"Sit down, I'll go make the popcorn," you said. You went into the kitchen, set the microwave and got out a large bowl. Sunggyu sat down in the living room, making himself comfortable and helping himself to one of the candy boxes. "Sorry the place is a mess," you called, "I meant to clean up before you got here, but I forgot."
"It's fine," Sunggyu lied. He threw aside some shirts that were on the floor. Once the popcorn had finished popping, you poured it in the bowl and headed toward the living room. "So, what kind of movie did you pick out?"
Sunggyu looked at you timidly, and pulled out a small bag from behind his back. It only had one movie. "I couldn't find anything that wasn't romance or documentaries," he began, "but I thought you could try watching this with me..."
"What is- Sunggyu!" you exclaimed. It was a horror movie, the one type of movie you hated to watch and specifically told him not to bring. Sunggyu held back a laugh, not wanting to upset you further.
"I don't think I can go back to the store," Sunggyu whined, "It was such a long walk." He pouted at you, but it made no effect.
"You don't have to worry," he tried to reassure you instead, "none of it is real."
"That's not the problem," you said, growing shy, "it's just that... I get kind of scared when I watch movies like these." Sunggyu couldn't hold back his laughter anymore. He ducked as you threw a pillow at him.
"Hey! Don't throw things! Seriously, it'll be fine. Besides," he playfully ran his fingers through your hair, "I'll be here to protect you." You blushed, causing him to laugh even more, blocking the pillows you continuously threw at him.


The movie started off quite well, with the two of you paying close attention. Neither of you said a word as you nibbled on the popcorn. You took a short time to secretly enjoy the moment. It was nice to be with Sunggyu again. Having him laughing and eating in your apartment made you feel somewhat at ease. You were worried that he was becoming too stressed out from his job, worried that he never took breaks. You suddenly grew aware of the dirty clothes you had left lying around the room. Not wanting to break Sunggyu's attention to the movie, you tried moving it inconspicuously with your foot.
"What are you doing?" asked Sunggyu, staring at you. He caught you in an odd position, with your hands holding a box of candy and one leg stretched out awkwardly to the side.
"Nothing," you answered with slight attitude, "keep watching the movie." He shrugged, and turned his attention back to the television. You couldn't help but notice his profile. Without caution, you stared at him for a while, not realizing he could see you from the corner of his eye. As he turned to you, you gave him a look and averted your eyes toward the television. He squinted, knowing that something was up with you. He then shook his head and continued watching the movie.

A monster jumped up to the screen. Before you realized it, Sunggyu had his hand covering your mouth in order to muffle your screaming. You broke into tears, shocked by the monster's appearance, and buried your head into Sunggyu's shoulder, hard. He was a little frightened himself, because of your reaction. He immediately turned off the television, and tried to calm you down.
"Yah!," he begged, "Yah, listen to me! Look! It's done, I stopped it. Yah..." He watched you quietly as you tried to calm down. How could he do that to you? He knew you didn't want to watch a horror movie, yet he deliberately brought one over. Why did he - why did you have to be such a coward? "Yah... Are you okay?" You looked up at him, with tears in your eyes. You felt your face grow hot, as his eyes focused on you with worry. This was not the kind of night you were looking forward to. You didn't like feeling pathetic, or worse, petrified. Sunggyu moved your head back to his shoulder and hugged you tightly. "I'm sorry, I didn't know you would be that scared. Really, I'm sorry." He hushed and soothed you, feeling quite guilty of himself. This wasn't the night he imagined either. He just wanted you to feel safe with him around,
he didn't know you could be easily terrified. The two of you sat there in silence, both feeling awful for the other.
"Hey, listen. I've got an idea." He gently moved you off of him, and got up to take the movie out. You sniffled, wiping away your tears. He sat back down next to you, with the remote control in his hands. Turning the television back on, he searched through the channels for something funny to watch. You felt exhausted from the nerves. Taking a deep breath, you straightened yourself up, and tried to focus on what Sunggyu was doing. Finally, he found something. It was a late-night comedy that the two of you used to watch together when you were younger. You smiled, reminiscing the past. Sunggyu was so cute back then, with so many dreams. He was no longer a kid, though. He was a man, and a handsome one at that. "If you're tired, you can rest your head on my lap," he offered, giving you room to lay down. You hesitantly accepted, making yourself comfortable. As if it were natural to him, Sunggyu began petting your hair. The two of you were comfortable yet again.
"Sunggyu?" you asked, half sleepily.
"Hm?"
"Let's do this again soon, okay?"
"Okay," he
smiled, caressing your face, "but next time without the horror movie."
"Mm. Good idea," you agreed. The two of you giggled. You could feel yourself dozing off as the light from the television glowed. Sunggyu continued petting your hair as you fell asleep, feeling safe and happy with him.