Final

Coffee Shop and Manhwa

 

 

“Aaah so cold,” Jongup muttered as he blew hot air from his mouth to his hands and rubbed them together. That day snowed quite heavily but Jongup forced himself to make his way out of his warm dorm to the book store because his favorite manhwa series was out that day. He had been waiting for a long time so he couldn’t wait until tomorrow.

 

He made his way into the bookstore and picked the manhwa and quickly paid before left. He smiled contently while holding his comic. He pulled his hood up and put his hand in the pocket. But unfortunately when he had just walked for 5 minutes, the snow worsens and he couldn’t continue his journey home. Somehow he saw the coffee shop with only a few people inside it. It looked so warm so he decided to stop there and waited until the snow stop while reading his manhwa.

 

He pulled his hood to cover his face from snow while he was walking in a hurry towards the coffee shop. He already thought about a cup of nice hot chocolate on his table as he read his newly bought manhwa. He was so deep in imagination so he couldn’t see a girl was running to the door hoping for warmness too. He felt a bump on his body. He looked down and saw a snow covered girl lying on her on the floor with a pained expression.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t see you” he said as he offered her his hand. She looked at his hand and grabbed it before Jongup pulled her up to her feet again. She brushed some snow on her . Then she looked to Jongup before smiling assuring him that she’s okay. Jongup’s heart somehow palpitated faster than normal when seeing her smile. He felt like her smile tranced him.

 

“That’s okay. It’s my fault too.” She said while bowing her head 90 degrees. He returned her bow and then opened and the door for her. She smiled and bowed a little before making her way to the counter. He followed her.

 

“Can I have a cup of hot chocolate with extra marshmallow?” She ordered to the waitress behind the counter. Jongup felt something hit him so he quickly added. “Made that two, please.” The girl looked behind her only to found smiling Jongup looking at her. She shyly smiled back at him. When the girl opened her purse to pull some money, Jongup grabbed her arm.

 

“I’ll pay.” Jongup said as he handed the money to the waitress then quickly take the tray and made his way to an unoccupied table. She followed behind him slowly then sat in front of him. Jongup looked at her confused face and smiled inwardly. He tried to hide his smile by sipping his hot chocolate. Then the girl looked at him.

 

“You don’t have to pay for my drink.” She said while lowering her head. He chuckled inwardly knowing that the girl in front of him was shy, just like him.

 

“That’s okay, I want to pay for you. You fell because of me, though. This is the payback.” He smiled then took a sip from his cup. He heard her say soft thank you as she took a sip too from her cup. He smiled wider and took out his manhwa from inside of his parka and opened its cover to start reading it. She noticed the cover.

 

“You liked that comic too?” she asked while pointing to his comic. He looked up to her and nodded. She smiled, ”that’s my brother’s favorite too.” Then she pulled book from her bag and opened it to read it. Jongup took a glance at her book and noticed that the book she read was her sister favorite novel.

 

“You know, that novel is my sister's favorite. She is such a hardcore fan of Hunger Games series.” He said making she looked up.

 

“Really? I’m a huge fan of this series too!” She smiled widely.

 

“I guess you should meet my sister. She will be happy to meet new friend.”

 

“And I guess you should meet my brother. I listened to his nag about how late that comic be published a few days ago and yesterday he said happily to me that it will be out today. Maybe right now he’s in his room reading that comic too.” She smiled and Jongup couldn’t help returning her sweet smile. She returned her gaze to her novel and he returned his gaze to his comic. Both of them were reading together in front of each other, unconsciously enjoying each other company. He occasionally stole glances to her and admired her reading figure and felt his heart palpitated faster again.

 

“Ah, the snow has stopped.” She suddenly said and put her novel inside her bag, ”I have to go home now. Thank you for the drink.” She stood and bowed to him.

 

Jongup jumped from his seat and quickly grabbed her wrist before she could walk away from him. Her confused eyes looked to his hand on her wrist and to his eyes. He let her hand go and scratched his nape because of nervousness. Then he gathered some courage and asked her.

 

“What’s your name? I haven’t known your name yet. My name is Jongup.” He said as he extended his hand. She took his hand and gave him her name. She smiled and bowed to him again before he grabbed her wrist again. She looked at him again as he quickly pull his hand from her wrist again.

 

“Uuum, I’m just wondering. Uuum… Uuuh..” He stuttered. She waited him to say his words patiently. He breathed and then said “I’m just wondering, do you want to read with me again some time?”

 

She looked at him wide eyed. She didn’t expect the cute dorky boy he met an hour ago asked her to meet up again. She was silent for a few moments. Jongup began agitated.

 

“Uh, that’s okay if you don’t want to.” Jongup said with a forced smile.

 

“No,” she shook her head then smiled, ”I’d love to read with you again.”

 

He smiled widely until creased near his eyes were visible. She couldn’t help smiling back at him.

 

“I guessed I’ll meet you here tomorrow at 4 P.M then?” She asked. He quickly nodded. She chuckled and waved at him before made her way out. He watched her walked until she was out of his sight.

 

He put his palm over his rushed heart and slowly steadied his breath. He smiled happily before grabbing his things and made his way out, looking forward to their reading together session tomorrow. No one knew what will the reading together lead to. Maybe a date. Maybe. No one knows.