One.

Of Hooligans and Heartbreak.

Sehun sighed for, what was probably, the tenth time in the past five minutes.

 

Detention’s the worst...

 

Balancing his chair back on two legs, he flicked a rubber band at the back of a tall, lanky kid’s head, chuckling when the kid yelped in a mix of pain and surprise.

 

“Sehun, what the hell??” the boy swung around, clutching at the back of his head. Sehun laughed into the back of his hand.

 

“Park Chanyeol.” the boy started when the teacher called his name. “Need I remind you that this is a detention period.”

 

“Y-yes.” he spun back around in his seat, not without shooting a glare Sehun’s way, “Sorry, ma’am, it won’t happen again.”

 

And back to being ty... he groaned and looked at the clock on the wall; just five more minutes... a noise outside of the classroom drew his attention towards the door. There, in the window, stood five or six girls just shoving at each other, trying to get the best view, their gazes now locked on Sehun's.

 

Sehun shot them a charming smile, rolling his eyes at the shrieks it elicited.

 

Girls are the worst, too... Sehun scoffed, choosing to direct his attention outside.

 

He shouldn't even be in detention in the first place, really... all he did was correct his history teacher... it's not his fault the guy chose to argue and frustrate the hell out of him. So he got a little sassy, so what?

 

Maybe if this school didn’t hire idiots… He grimaced. At least lunch is next. Sehun reasoned to himself, it's not like I needed the free period, anyway...

 

The bell that signified the end of class startled him out of his thoughts.

 

The second he regained his composure, he rushed out of the classroom, dodging the horde of girls waiting outside the door.

 

He felt his stomach growl. Just gotta get my wallet from my locker and then I can finally eat~.

 

Sehun sighed as he neared his locker noticing yet another love note stuck to the door. He ripped it off without a second thought and quickly entered his combination. He had half a mind to just toss it on the ground… but then he risked getting caught “littering” and being sent back to detention… No thank you.

 

“Sehun-ah~!!” a booming voice startled him into freezing. He felt a large hand slap him on the back before settling around his neck in a solid choke-hold. He didn’t need to look to be able to tell who his attacker was.

 

“Chanyeol, let go.” Sehun’s voice was about as apathetic as could be, as he pulled at the arm threatening to constrict his airway.

 

“So rude, Sehun-ah... I’m your hyung, you know?”

 

“Whatever, Chanyeol, what do you want?” Sehun elbowed Chanyeol in the ribs - effectively getting out of his grasp, and quickly grabbed his wallet, throwing the unopened love note to the back of the locker.

 

“You’re not even gonna read it?” Chanyeol ignored Sehun’s question as he peered into his locker. “That’s a little cold, even for you, don’t you think?”

 

He slammed his locker shut. “Hardly.” stuffing his wallet in his pants pocket, he turned around, “Do you understand how many of those I get a week, hyung?”

 

“Wow…” Chanyeol paused, “What a douche~”

 

The laugh he let out when Sehun punched him in the arm was boisterous and way too obnoxious. “Come on, let’s go to lunch, Jongin’s probably waiting.” Sehun started down the hall without looking back, Chanyeol following close behind.

 

“So, like… do you even know who that note was from?” Chanyeol pressed, quickening his stride to walk alongside of Sehun.

 

“No… why are you so worried about it, anyway?”

 

“Well, maybe it’s from someone you’ll actually like!”

 

Sehun rolled his eyes, “I don’t have time to like someone. Between studying and dance, I barely have time to sleep anymore Chanyeol, let alone date.”

 

“I don’t get it… it’s your first year here, you don’t even have to worry about entrance exams or anything like that for another year and a half...”

 

“That attitude is the reason why you’re only ranked twenty-fifth in your class, Chanyeol.” Sehun picked up the pace.

 

“And that attitude is the reason why you’re never gonna get laid.” he paused, trying to stifle his laughter, “That and you’re a bit of a prick, but you know-”

 

Chanyeol laughed even more when Sehun punched him in the shoulder.

 

“Being ranked number one in the class isn’t even that big of a deal, anyway.” Chanyeol smiled, “I mean, hey, look at me! I’m not even in the top twenty and I still get girls~”

 

Sehun couldn’t help but laugh, “Chanyeol you don’t even like girls.”

 

“Regardless. My point is, I still get them! Really, though,” he struck a pose for emphasis, “who could resist this face~”

 

Sehun rolled his eyes again. Chanyeol wasn’t wrong, though. He was attractive… but also stupid, almost painfully so… he’s lucky he enrolled in a performing arts school.

 

The pair ran into Jongin right outside of the cafeteria; he was idly chatting with one of the teachers. Jongin, Sehun figured, was probably trying to charm his way out of overdue homework…. Sehun wouldn’t be surprised if he was, really. It wouldn’t be the first time.

 

If it weren’t for Jongin’s good looks and his parent’s financial status, he probably wouldn’t have ever made it past middle school…. No, Sehun was sure Jongin would be out working right now if it weren’t for that.

 

He was another one lucky to have made it into the performing arts school.

 

“Jongin-ah~!” Chanyeol’s too-loud voice boomed from behind him. “Come on, time for lunch!!”

 

“Oh, sweet!” Jongin gave a quick bow to the teacher before turning to Chanyeol and Sehun, “What took you guys so long, anyway?”

 

“Chanyeol tried to assassinate me at my locker, earlier.”

 

“What?! I did not!!” Chanyeol’s lips pulled into a pout, “I definitely did not, Jongin, I really didn’t...”

 

Sehun shrugged, “Whatever, can we please just go eat? I think my stomach’s about to start eating itself, I’m so hungry.” he walked into the cafeteria without waiting for a response, sure the other two would follow.

 

“What were you doing talking to Professor Lee, anyway?” he heard Chanyeol ask Jongin as they made their way towards the lunch line.

 

“I got in trouble for texting in class… again…” Jongin sighed, “I was trying to sweet-talk her into giving me back my phone, but…”

 

“No luck?”

 

“Nope…. I still don’t really have the whole ‘flirting’ thing down...” Jongin blushed, scratching the back of his neck.

 

Despite appearances, Jongin was probably one of the shiest people Sehun knows. When they started high school, he had decided to change his image… try to be a lady killer, it really didn't fit his personality, though… not in the least; so, most of the time, he just looks awkward... It was only around Chanyeol and Sehun that he let that ridiculous mask slip.

 

“You’re both ridiculous.” Sehun laughed, feeling slightly less grumpy as the scent of food flooded his senses.

 

...

 

Lunch was boring, as usual, but Sehun was glad to finally sate his growling stomach. The rest of their group was already halfway through with lunch by the time Sehun, Jongin, and Chanyeol joined them.

 

Jongin ended up rambling about the new dance routine to Chanyeol - who surely didn’t care, given he was probably the least graceful human being to walk the earth - while Baekhyun and Jongdae tried to work through their math homework that was due next period.

 

“-hun… Sehun!” Jongin nudged him out of his reverie, his voice low, “D'you see Luhan over there?”

 

Sehun rolled his eyes. The last person he wanted to see was Luhan… Luhan hated him now, afterall…. “No. Where is he?”

 

“Two tables that way, man…” Jongin pointed, “Who’s that sitting with him?”

 

Sehun sighed, taking a sip of his ice water, “Probably just one of the Chines-... who the hell is that.” it wasn’t a question. Luhan sat at a table with his usual pair of friends, Wufan (or “Kris” as he liked to be called) and Zitao...but there was a kid that Sehun didn’t recognize there, too…. “Jongdae,” he kicked Jongdae’s shin under the table.

 

“Ow! Sehun what the hell!!”

 

“Did we get a new exchange student?” Sehun didn’t take his eyes off of the new boy.

 

Jongdae followed his line of sight, absentmindedly massaging his now-sore shin, “Yeah… his name’s Yixing, he’s in my grade, I think...just started today.”

 

Sehun scoffed, settling back into his seat, glowering as he watched Luhan laugh with this “Yixing” character.

 

“I don’t like him.” Sehun said, turning back to his friends.

 

“Sehun, you don’t eve-”

 

“I don’t,” Sehun looked Baekhyun in the eye, “like him.”

 

“Are you sure you’re not just jealous of him hogging Luhan’s attention?” Jongdae giggled, earning another kick in the shin.

 

“Shut up, Jongdae.” Sehun would never admit it, but Jongdae wasn't completely wrong...

 

He stole another glance at the new kid, pouting. It wasn’t fair… Luhan was his best friend. Well… not anymore…. but still.

 

“Anyway..." he had full intentions of changing the subject... "...how the hell did he get so close to Luhan already!?" So much for that...

 

"I dunno," Baekhyun mumbled around his chopsticks, "why don't you ask him."

 

It wasn't intended as a suggestion... more of a joke, if anything, the way Baekhyun said it.... but Sehun just smirked mischievously.

 

"You know what..." he took another sip of water, "I think I will."

 

 

 

 

 

--------

a/n:

 

okay yeah, how do high school!au???

 

meh, this plot's killin' me, won't leave my head but omg I can't get it to sound/progress right???

 

why is writing so hard ㅠㅠ

 

ps. if you couldn't tell, sentences in italics are the thoughts of Sehun~

 

feedback is lovely~~~

 

//hearteu~~

 

-Hal-C.